Author Topic: Remote controlled flying things-Quads, Hex, Octo or anything  (Read 677959 times)

Offline WilSurf

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Remote controlled flying things-Quads, Hex, Octo or anything
« Reply #425 on: September 08, 2014, 11:16:57 AM »
Flying fixed wing can be problematic with regard places you can take-off and land and the space you need to fly the model.

Maybe a model club may be an option.

http://www.maaa.asn.au/state-associations

True but I think with only the use of one arm a simple 3 channel plane might work better then a 4 channel helicopter.
I might be wrong.
- Kimberley Kamper Sports RV Limited Edition
- Lexus LX470 V8, E-locker, ARB Sahara bullbar

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline yogi

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Smarter than the average Bear
« Reply #427 on: September 08, 2014, 04:34:04 PM »
XD9 Pro can do up to 24 channels .... how do you do this .... bind multiple 8 channel receivers ? Also what modules is everyone using on them .... my RX’s are all spectrum currently are they as good ?

Thanks
yogi
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 01:54:01 PM by yogi »

Marschy

« Reply #428 on: September 08, 2014, 04:44:23 PM »
XD9 Pro can do up to 24 channels .... how do you do this .... bind multiple 8 channel receivers ? Also what modules is everyone using on them .... mine RX’s are all spectrum currently are they as good ?

Thanks
yogi

Can't help with 24 channels. I wouldn't know what to do with that many. Setup a servo as an bum scratcher I suppose as I would be too busy pushing buttons, flicking switches. Now that'd be good. But think it would probably use some sort of s.bus system.

I use the OrangeRX DSM2/DSMX compatible transmitter module on my Turnigy 9XR configured for PWM and OrangeRX 9 channel receiver with satellite. The receivers are compatible with spectrum, and a lot cheaper. The receiver is capable of being used for s.bus configurations as well. But I haven't used this functionality.

This is from the Futaba site giving you an idea of what s.bus systems are capable of.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 04:55:41 PM by Marschy »

Offline yogi

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #429 on: September 09, 2014, 01:53:24 PM »
Thanks for the info ... I think I might get the FrSky Taranis if I go this way ... costs more but has built in 2.4Ghz and can also do JR style external TX modules.

yogi

PS(there are a couple of ways to do the 8+ channels with this radio)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 09:55:54 PM by yogi »

Offline Hogbert_1999

• Tent User
« Reply #430 on: September 09, 2014, 09:09:14 PM »
Here is another video from last Sunday can see some gimble tweaks I need to make yet

Small | Large

New outback swan has arrived let the good times roll!

Marschy

« Reply #431 on: September 14, 2014, 06:37:41 PM »
Added a bit of bling. A 4x3watt LED module. It is really bright so you can see the LED's in broad daylight.

Offline Hogbert_1999

• Tent User
« Reply #432 on: September 14, 2014, 06:43:19 PM »
Very bright :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
New outback swan has arrived let the good times roll!

Marschy

« Reply #433 on: September 14, 2014, 06:46:12 PM »
Yeah I hope it wont affect the camera, hence I put it as far away as I can. Green tells me I have GPS lock, then it flashes red when arming and disarming, and also when the battery is running low.

Offline WilSurf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #434 on: September 15, 2014, 09:55:34 AM »
Marschy, I see a lot of static pictures.
When are you going to fly them?  ;D
- Kimberley Kamper Sports RV Limited Edition
- Lexus LX470 V8, E-locker, ARB Sahara bullbar

Marschy

« Reply #435 on: September 15, 2014, 09:56:37 AM »
Hoping to have some video after the long weekend.

Offline yogi

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #436 on: September 15, 2014, 11:39:18 AM »
What FPV goggles is everyone using ? I am looking at the new SkyZone V2 .... seem like the best bang for buck.

yogi

Marschy

« Reply #437 on: September 15, 2014, 11:40:38 AM »
What FPV goggles is everyone using ? I am looking at the new SkyZone V2 .... seem like the best bang for buck.

yogi
Drop Crispy a PM, that's what he is using, I don't recommend the Fatshark Teleporters, the resolution is crap.

I received a HIEE 7 inch monitor from Aliexpress, so I'm going to see if I prefer goggles or screen. I will be giving this a go on the long weekend in October.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 11:43:52 AM by Marschy »

Offline yogi

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #438 on: September 15, 2014, 03:16:40 PM »
I am not sure about the goggles myself .... nearly have all the bits to get a screen based FPV system going. But since I am going to be ordering a new Taranis radio as I need more channels for my 2 axis gimbal to do what I want .... thought I might get some goggles too :D

yogi

Marschy

« Reply #439 on: September 15, 2014, 05:50:53 PM »
I am not sure about the goggles myself .... nearly have all the bits to get a screen based FPV system going. But since I am going to be ordering a new Taranis radio as I need more channels for my 2 axis gimbal to do what I want .... thought I might get some goggles too :D

yogi
The Taranis is very popular, but you don't necessarily have to have more than 8 channels to control your gimbal. The flight control board can sometimes control the gimbal by allowing channel 7 and 8 to control pitch and roll. The APM is a good example. But for auto tuning and other functions, yes, you can run out of channels. Having said that, if I thought about things a bit more rather than jump in with both feet, I would have bought the Taranis. How could you argue with a 16+ channel radio for under $200

The resolution of most of the googles at best seems to be 640x480, which you can get with the small 7 inch monitors. The advantage of the googles seems to be the 'immersion' factor which can make some people feel sick, sort of like motion sickness. I reckon this is going to happen to me. I was in my sons room watching him play the new version of Wolfenstein which is a first person shooter game, I felt sick watching that on a 50 inch plasma, so the chances of me feeling sick with goggles is probably going to be pretty high.

I'm planning on planting my bum in a comfy chair with my camera tripod setup next to me and seeing how both the monitor and goggles go. I'm in the process of hooking up a video recorder to the monitor, which means I have to pull the back off and hook up the receiver to the DVR and then the DVR back into the monitor. I didn't think about this before (jumped in with both feet again) and I should have bought a simple monitor and separate receiver and DVR, it would have made life a lot easier.

What frame and flight control board are you getting?

Offline Mandrake

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Triple Vaxed and ready to go ANYWHERE ( please )
« Reply #440 on: September 15, 2014, 06:10:45 PM »
I'm currently trying to get 2.4 Ghz FPV up and running on the Phantom --

I found this little piece of kit and am trying to work out how to mount the camera -- If I figure that out them I'll buy this

and see how it goes... LOL..

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2-4GHz-Wireless-Digital-Camera-2-4GHz-Wireless-Digital-DVR-Free-shipping/495597153.html

Steve
Going back to basics - sort of ...

Offline yogi

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #441 on: September 16, 2014, 08:45:20 AM »
Marschy ..... yeah I need 6 channels for my 350 QX standard. Then when I upgrade to the v2 code I will need to be able to mix 2 x 3 way switches to get all of the modes and then at least 1 extra channel for the tilt function on my brushless gimbal, plus I want to put this on a variable pot for a bit more control. None of which my current controller has got .... lol ..... So the Taranis will give me up to 32 channels with full telemetry. Bring on head tracking and full manual gimbal control ;D

I am using an SJCAM / SJ4000 gopro clone for my video recording and FPV. If I find the need I will swap to a video switch setup on one of my extra channels and a dedicated FPV camera / gimbal camera. Maybe when I go a 3 axis gimbal.

Mandrake .... most people find they get to much interference running their video and controls on the same band. the 5.8ghz stuff is cheap and easy to setup for video.

yogi
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 08:50:11 AM by yogi »

Marschy

« Reply #442 on: September 16, 2014, 08:51:20 AM »
Hello Yogi, nice quad. I think Mandrake has previously indicated that his setup uses a 5.8 gHz transmitter for the quad, this sorta limits his options with the FPV camera.

Offline Mandrake

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Triple Vaxed and ready to go ANYWHERE ( please )
« Reply #443 on: September 16, 2014, 08:59:40 AM »
Yup - Its the only thing wrong with the Phantom FC40 model !! If it ran guidance on 2.4 I would not have such a big problem .. Mind you I see goggles are now coming out that are switchable on both frequency bands 5.8 and 2.4 .. Trying to find a Black Pearl style monitor with an inbuilt 2.4 receiver - getting closer ... M
Going back to basics - sort of ...

Marschy

« Reply #444 on: September 16, 2014, 09:01:58 AM »
I am using an SJCAM / SJ4000 gopro clone for my video recording and FPV. If I find the need I will swap to a video switch setup on one of my extra channels and a dedicated FPV camera / gimbal camera. Maybe when I go a 3 axis gimbal.
You may need a HDMI to AV convertor for the SJ4000 camera to work with FPV transmitter. Also check the dimensions of the camera, otherwise you will need to possibly limit your gimbal to a generic gimbal that fits any gopro knockoff. E.g. the Tarot T-2D gimbal I have is designed for the gopro 3+ and I had to hunt around for a gopro knockoff that would fit because it has an aluminium frame that limits what you can put in it. This led me to the GoTop knockoff of the gopro. But as you are probably finding, the closer the knockoffs resemble a gopro, the closer the price resembles a gopro.

Offline yogi

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #445 on: September 16, 2014, 09:21:19 AM »
Yeah the new SJCAM has upgraded board and firmwear .... so does video out on the USB I have just tested it and have it installed on my gimbal and it all appears to work so all good. The only potential issue with the gimbal were trimming the velcro strap so I could still use the slot on the bottom arm when the USB cable was in for FPV and the weight difference between the gopro and the SJCAM ... the weight doesn't seem to be an issue with my initial tests but have downloaded the tuning tool for the gimbal control board in case it becomes one. Some of the cheap ebay gimbals have a high pitched wine when running and with the tuning tool you can easily get rid of it.

yogi

Marschy

« Reply #446 on: September 16, 2014, 09:23:34 AM »
I haven't worked out how to 'trim' the gimbal yet. Mine is the same as Mandrakes. I need to adjust the 'roll' as it is tilted ever so slightly and not sitting level.

Offline yogi

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #447 on: September 16, 2014, 09:28:18 AM »
Yup - Its the only thing wrong with the Phantom FC40 model !! If it ran guidance on 2.4 I would not have such a big problem .. Mind you I see goggles are now coming out that are switchable on both frequency bands 5.8 and 2.4 .. Trying to find a Black Pearl style monitor with an inbuilt 2.4 receiver - getting closer ... M

OK I see .... 5.8 for the controls !!!! Guess you could always use the video in on a 5.8 goggle set Mandrake ?

Yeah the 350 QX is good right out of the box and with the v2 upgrade is even better. It still has short comings like using DSM2 / DSMX technology and limited control board interfaces and is apparently only a park flyer (but I can bind 2 receivers  to the transmitter and solve most of the expandability issues) but stability / power and feature wise it's right up there.

yogi

Offline yogi

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #448 on: September 16, 2014, 09:32:01 AM »
I haven't worked out how to 'trim' the gimbal yet. Mine is the same as Mandrakes. I need to adjust the 'roll' as it is tilted ever so slightly and not sitting level.

Which gimbal do you guys have ? Does your control board have a button ? Most do and these buttons are programed to do different features ie on mine if I press it 3 times I can manually set the defualt gimbal position by simply holding the gimbal in the position I want it in after pressing the button. It then holds that position.

You can see the button here ... bottom right and it's red.

yogi
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 09:40:33 AM by yogi »

Marschy

« Reply #449 on: September 16, 2014, 09:38:58 AM »
This is my gimbal, which looks pretty much the same as Mandrakes, I also have the Tarot T-2D, but that one works beautifully.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Details-about-Black-DJI-Phantom-Brushless-Gimbal-Cam-Mount-with-Motor-BGC3-1-Controller/1581189044.html