Author Topic: Remote controlled flying things-Quads, Hex, Octo or anything  (Read 679310 times)

Offline Mandrake

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Triple Vaxed and ready to go ANYWHERE ( please )
Re: Remote controlled flying things-Quads, Hex, Octo or anything
« Reply #375 on: August 24, 2014, 06:37:56 PM »
Was looking through Aliexpress today and found this ...
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-shipping-RC-airplane-RC-Cessna-182-plane-EPO-hobby-model-aircraft-RTF-aeromodelo-eletricorc-planes/2025038921.html

Might be my next RC machine ... Its pretty big !!!

Mandrake
Going back to basics - sort of ...

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #376 on: August 25, 2014, 01:52:05 PM »
Was looking through Aliexpress today and found this ...
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-shipping-RC-airplane-RC-Cessna-182-plane-EPO-hobby-model-aircraft-RTF-aeromodelo-eletricorc-planes/2025038921.html

Might be my next RC machine ... Its pretty big !!!

Mandrake

Looks nice, I like the free shipping.

Once I've got the tricopter working nicely (and I can fly it well) I'm planning on buying a Bixler 2 (I think it's 1.5m wingspan).  That'll be a few months down the track, should be in time for Christmas :-)

Chris

Toyota Prado (96) - 90 Series & Skamper Kamper Ranger Offroad

Mitsubishi Outlander

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #377 on: August 25, 2014, 02:04:42 PM »
Hmmm, my luck is not so good right now.  I stupidly plugged in the wrong plug to my 9x and as luck would have it was reversed so I fried it.  I have to remember to use the JR server plug and not the other plug on the battery.....

I have received a replacement, the 9XR and I have to say it's ok but I think my removal of my module from the 9x didnt work so well.  APM reports a very jittery input, the PWM values jump by 10-20, the 9x was rock solid.

I've got a orange reciever and module (2.4 Ghz) one the way so I'll see if that fixes it.  Will be interesting to see if it's the

I've also ordered a 9x replacement (Mode 1) as the 9XR doesnt look so nice.  I'll do the conversion to a Mode 2, looks easy as I checked out the dead 9x to see how to do it.  At least I have a 9x for spare parts - I opened it up to see if it was an easy fix.  First couple of regs seem ok and the capacitor seems ok too.  After opening it, it seems so stupid that there's a diode on the charger plug but not on the battery plug, so odd.  At least I have a dead 9x for spare parts now.....

So no flying for me over the weekend, grrrrr.  I have my cameras working so that is all good, both the 5v versions and the 12v versions.  Holy crap I see the difference in the quality between the PilotHD and the 700TVL camera, even the NTSC camera I thought was dead was good.  Minim OSD is still playing up, I'm going to try to keep the 12V off the board and do the solder trick to power the analogue side.  Will see how it goes.

Chris

Mitsubishi Outlander

Marschy

« Reply #378 on: August 25, 2014, 02:24:14 PM »
Not impressed with the PilotHD camera at all. The image is not the best even in good light, then throw OSD on top of that and through my goggles looks like garbage.

The swap from mode 1 to mode 2 took me about an hour on the 9XR and even then I took my time, its a simple swap over. I reckon it would take about the same amount of time on the 9X.

PWM from the 9XR on Mission Planner radio calibration is rock solid with my OrangeRX transmitter module (DSM2).

I haven't soldered anything on my last minimOSD from hobbyking and it worked no prob using seperate digital and analogue power supplies. The trick is to reload the boot strapper using an USBasp, then reload the firmware using the FDTI to UART connector with both the digital and analogue power supplies connected at the same time. When you reload the bootstapper using Arduino it gives an error right at the end, but it works because the OSDConfig software was no longer giving me 'Cannot load boot strapper' (or similar error) and the OSD config I setup was displayed on my screen correctly.

Apart from my crappy servo connections that allow the pins to come out, it's working fine now. I've got new servo connectors that I just have to swap over and I'm good to go.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 02:35:54 PM by Marschy »

Offline Hogbert_1999

• Tent User
« Reply #379 on: August 25, 2014, 03:01:59 PM »
Great to see some other RC nerds that are campers too :-)

I have been flying RC helis for 10 years and recently got into quads etc.

I have a heap of 3D helis in all shapes and sizes as well as a TBS discovery PRO with Go Pro on gimble and a Mini H Blackout racing quad.  FPV is so much fun racing with it is another level!!

Just getting into campers hope to see you guys at a campsite soon for a fly :-)
New outback swan has arrived let the good times roll!

Marschy

« Reply #380 on: August 25, 2014, 03:04:52 PM »
Great to see some other RC nerds that are campers too :-)

I have been flying RC helis for 10 years and recently got into quads etc.

I have a heap of 3D helis in all shapes and sizes as well as a TBS discovery PRO with Go Pro on gimble and a Mini H Blackout racing quad.  FPV is so much fun racing with it is another level!!

Just getting into campers hope to see you guys at a campsite soon for a fly :-)
Excellent, however I prefer 'geek' to 'nerd'. I know, it's splitting hairs but I have standards  ;D

What do you think of the TBS discovery?

I think flitetest did a review of the mini h blackout, looked pretty cool.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 03:51:40 PM by Marschy »

Offline Hogbert_1999

• Tent User
« Reply #381 on: August 25, 2014, 04:00:19 PM »
Geek it is  ;D

The TBS disco Pro is a very well made and well thought out machine indeed. I am super impressed with the level of design and quality in the integrated PCB design.

I bought everything and had it built with relative ease. It is super stable and the footage from it is very nice (from the gopro) I have the Gopro setup on a 3 position switch for straight fwd, 45 degree and straight down views.

It is not a cheap solution but it is a good one!!!!

Offline Hogbert_1999

• Tent User
« Reply #382 on: August 25, 2014, 04:06:40 PM »
The mini h is nuts on fpv solid and fun super cheap to fix

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marschy

« Reply #383 on: August 25, 2014, 04:08:51 PM »
Not that I'm in the market for one, but the price for the TBS fibreglass boards without arms on goodluckbuy was about $120 US, which I thought was pretty good, but then you have to get the power module etc etc, so it starts adding up. But it's no different, expense wise, to getting the reptile knockoff of the TBS then adding ubec's and everything else to get the same level of functionality.

The TBS Discovery is certainly a nice frame. What flight controller are you using to keep in in the air?

I'm yet to pull my finger out and put my Reptile-Aphid together with the Naza M V2 system. Should start doing that soon now that I've got the F450 sorted. Just gotta convince the missus that this one needs t-motors.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 04:10:47 PM by Marschy »

Offline Mandrake

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #384 on: August 25, 2014, 05:14:08 PM »

Offline Hogbert_1999

• Tent User
« Reply #385 on: August 25, 2014, 11:13:21 PM »
Hey Marschy I am running the Naza v2 on the TBS with GPS and OSD etc.  great for plug and play and works no problem. The TBS adds up I got mine with the TBS upgraded motors and all the bels and whistles

I am running the Naze 32 on the racer cheap light and flys great.

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #386 on: August 27, 2014, 01:02:35 AM »
Well my new orange 2.4 Ghz transmitter module and receiver arrived today, I've fitted it and yes it is rock solid on the values according to my APM.  I think I must have some dodgy solder work on the old 2.4 Ghz module when I moved it to an independent module.  Will open it up again and try to fix it but I'm in no rush now I have the new stuff.

Now I've been using the 9XR (on the ground that is) it is growing on me.  I still have a 9X on the way as a backup.

If the weather is good on Saturday I plan to do my 2nd flight with the APM (damn the bad weather lately in Sydney.....), I'll do this one LOS but with a camera to record the event - hopefully uneventful unlike my previous APM flight.

I've learnt from my mistakes, I now have all the PreArm checks on, I have failsafe mode set to land, I've turned off the failsafe for low battery (just warns me now) - I'll use a fresh one on the day and I think I'll tether it with some cord so it cant go too far.  It needs to earn my trust again.......  Once it's hovered and done a few manoeuvres in a 5m x 5m x 5m area I'll feel confident enough to untether it.  It's not like the KK2 board where if I felt it's going bad I could just kill the throttle.....  If all goes well I'll try an FPV flight (within LOS) next week before work one day.

It has to perform this weekend or I wont take it with me to Fraser in Sept.......  I really want it to perform nicely.

Hi Marshy,

I think you mentioned you use a 9XR, I'm looking at how to mount my monitor mount onto the 9XR (I have a mount for the 9X with the metal bar), I noticed there are two bolt holes just above the transmitter module, do you know what size they are, the thread or what depth bolts are acceptable?  Just that I'm thinking of building a plywood adapter so I can use my existing mount, just the part I'm not sure about is those bolts......  I noticed you have the tablet holder for it, I'm thinking I could just buy one are they any good?  I found the 9X one to be pretty good, more solid than I expected.

Also thanks for the tips on the MinimOSD, I'll try it out on Thrusday night after work.

Chris

Mitsubishi Outlander

Marschy

« Reply #387 on: August 27, 2014, 06:42:58 AM »
Gday Chris,

I'm pretty sure the screws for holding the tablet mount are M3 about an inch long, but I'll check tonight after work. Only 2 screws hold the whole thing onto the back of the radio.

The mount is pretty handy. Here is the link. But you must get the antenna extension as well to move it away from all the clutter now at the back of the radio.

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__55688__Turnigy_9XR_9XR_Pro_Adjustable_Tablet_Mount_Stand_1pc_.html

As you can see, it allows the transmitter antenna to be mounted remotely, and when I have the tablet hooked up it also secures the 3DR telemetry receiver. The neoprene on the bottom of the stand doesn't come with it. They supply some crap pieces of foam that don't fit. I had some airconditioning insulation neoprene out in the shed that fit the bill.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #389 on: August 27, 2014, 11:21:55 PM »
Gday Chris,

I'm pretty sure the screws for holding the tablet mount are M3 about an inch long, but I'll check tonight after work. Only 2 screws hold the whole thing onto the back of the radio.

The mount is pretty handy. Here is the link. But you must get the antenna extension as well to move it away from all the clutter now at the back of the radio.

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__55688__Turnigy_9XR_9XR_Pro_Adjustable_Tablet_Mount_Stand_1pc_.html

As you can see, it allows the transmitter antenna to be mounted remotely, and when I have the tablet hooked up it also secures the 3DR telemetry receiver. The neoprene on the bottom of the stand doesn't come with it. They supply some crap pieces of foam that don't fit. I had some airconditioning insulation neoprene out in the shed that fit the bill.

Hi Marschy,

Sigh I looked at the time I have left and decided it was easier to just buy it....  By the time I design it up and then buy all the bits, it'll be a similar cost and wont be as nice, plus I've only got limited time to work on stuff.  So one order placed, hopefully it only takes 6 days like my last order did.  I think I have some thick foam that would do the trick, it's what was protecting my bullbar when I got it.  It seems that they sometimes skimp on the really little things that just finish it off nicely, kinda odd how they do this.

Thanks for the offer to confirm the screw sizes, but no need now :-)

Had some spare time tonight but not enough to do the camera work, I've got all my modes and mixing worked out on the APM, so now I'm just waiting for some decent weather and some free time to do the test flight, Friday morning is looking good.

Regards,

Chris

Mitsubishi Outlander

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • If 1 turbo is good, 2 must be better. VK3GJG
« Reply #390 on: August 28, 2014, 08:03:02 PM »

Offline Basel

• Swag User
« Reply #391 on: August 28, 2014, 08:16:28 PM »
Wow! Amazing footage, looks pro

Offline Hogbert_1999

• Tent User
« Reply #392 on: August 28, 2014, 08:19:41 PM »
Excellent what rig you running ? Lot of over water shots awesome

Marschy

« Reply #393 on: August 28, 2014, 08:22:00 PM »
Pretty amazing. Something to aspire to.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 06:39:20 AM by Marschy »

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • If 1 turbo is good, 2 must be better. VK3GJG
« Reply #394 on: August 28, 2014, 08:25:55 PM »
Excellent what rig you running ? Lot of over water shots awesome

I wish it was mine, just a mate I go camping with occasionally and he just did a huge trip. Not sure of what he is running. He may come along soon and let us know.

GG

Offline oldmate

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #395 on: August 29, 2014, 06:30:50 AM »
That's an awesome bit of vid. Thanks for posting gg
Our Blog. A work in progress
https://www.facebook.com/UltimateAdventuresBlog/

Marschy

« Reply #396 on: August 29, 2014, 08:45:40 AM »
Coincidence, or the Clive Palmer effect?

I've placed two orders, one with Aliexpress, one on Goodluckbuy. Paid for express shipping in both instances via China Post EMS.

Aliexpress sent my shipment via Hong Kong Air Mail and I'm still waiting for it over two weeks later. I will be disputing this order once it arrives so I can send evidence to Aliexpress that I was charged for shipping that I was not provided.

Goodluckbuy hadn't even processed my order as of this morning, 7 working days after I placed the order. I queried them this morning and the excuses started flying about taking upto 7 days to process an order, so I asked them if they hadn't even processed my order yet, how can they advertise 5-10 days delivery for EMS from the time of your order. I have asked for a refund of the $25 in shipping costs and to send it via Air Mail as they will already go over the 10 working days delivery time anyway by a long shot. So effectively I've paid for a service that they cannot provide either. It's only stuff that I ordered for Fathers day that I didn't really need, but made the missus happy that I was getting something for Fathers day so not concerned with getting it another 15-45 days from now.

It's just the principal, I don't like paying for a service that is not being provided. But somehow I don't think I will be buying from either seller again. Pity, Goodluckbuy has some great quadcopter stuff.

Offline Mandrake

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #397 on: August 29, 2014, 09:04:17 AM »
I just ordered my FPV stuff from Banggood.com . The mini camera is already posted the other bits will be posted tomorrow they said..ordinary mail so will see how long it takes.

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #398 on: August 29, 2014, 02:47:06 PM »
Coincidence, or the Clive Palmer effect?

I've placed two orders, one with Aliexpress, one on Goodluckbuy. Paid for express shipping in both instances via China Post EMS.

Aliexpress sent my shipment via Hong Kong Air Mail and I'm still waiting for it over two weeks later. I will be disputing this order once it arrives so I can send evidence to Aliexpress that I was charged for shipping that I was not provided.

Goodluckbuy hadn't even processed my order as of this morning, 7 working days after I placed the order. I queried them this morning and the excuses started flying about taking upto 7 days to process an order, so I asked them if they hadn't even processed my order yet, how can they advertise 5-10 days delivery for EMS from the time of your order. I have asked for a refund of the $25 in shipping costs and to send it via Air Mail as they will already go over the 10 working days delivery time anyway by a long shot. So effectively I've paid for a service that they cannot provide either. It's only stuff that I ordered for Fathers day that I didn't really need, but made the missus happy that I was getting something for Fathers day so not concerned with getting it another 15-45 days from now.

It's just the principal, I don't like paying for a service that is not being provided. But somehow I don't think I will be buying from either seller again. Pity, Goodluckbuy has some great quadcopter stuff.

Coincidence I'd say :-)

On this note, I think that companies need to improve there dispatch times.  How hard is it to print an order to a warehouse, get it picked and packed for pickup.  HK though is pretty good, most ebay sellers ship the next day, because there is a rating system.

The area that can do with improvement is the couriers.  I guess that's why you have express delivery as a choice and you pay for it, but dammit if you pay for it you expect it.  Not that hard a concept for them you'd think.

I think those companies trying to sell based upon unrealistic times is extremely bad form and they will loose customers from that.  HK has gotten a large some of money from me because they have been good to me, as soon as I get mucked around my money goes elsewhere.  I love the response to questions about delivery of items, well its out of our hands its the couriers issue, not ours.  Yours though is even weirder in that they havent even dispatched it for delivery, not a hard thing for them to do if they think about it, unless they have a stock issue.  Don't they get that the customer only cares about the time from order to them, not that it's out of suppliers hands as normally the supplier chooses the courier.....  The customer only cares that it arrives in a reasonable time and with a reasonable service (having to drive to a place to pick it up, not leaving cards, not knocking & only leaving a card, or call 4+ times to get it redelivered is not acceptable).

I have a list of couriers who I refuse to use and they will never get my business, and I mean never.  I have even asked places before I order if it is on that list and told them while they use that courier they wont get my money.  I've had some places organise alternatives, others have said well that's who we use.

Chris

Mitsubishi Outlander

Offline Crisp Image

• Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it again!
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #399 on: August 29, 2014, 04:47:41 PM »
I wish it was mine, just a mate I go camping with occasionally and he just did a huge trip. Not sure of what he is running. He may come along soon and let us know.

GG
He is running A DJI F550 flame wheel with a NAZA Controller and fatshark FPV The F550 is a hexcopter. Mostly stock standard I think but he does get some great footage. Flight times are about 7-8 min with a 6ah battery.
This is what I can remember about his gear. Oh and he uses a Spektrum DX8 Radio.
Regards
Crispy

2008 Outback Sturt, 2010 Prado 150 D4D Tug