Author Topic: Remote controlled flying things-Quads, Hex, Octo or anything  (Read 673893 times)

Offline Mandrake

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Triple Vaxed and ready to go ANYWHERE ( please )
Re: Remote controlled flying things-Quads, Hex, Octo or anything
« Reply #325 on: August 01, 2014, 01:04:28 PM »
 Any decent ute tray is 1.5 metres or better ..so its big..the Phantom is about 50 cms so that gives you an idea...
Going back to basics - sort of ...

Offline Mandrake

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #326 on: August 03, 2014, 08:17:07 AM »
I don't know how good this will be but good old Aldi are selling a Go-Pro lookalike for $50 !!! 1080P HD job - Haven't seen specs yet but if its 1920 x 1080 pixels I will be getting one .. 
Its a helmet cam with acrylic case etc - Ideal for flying around with - Maybe get 2 just in case LOL >>>> Its on sale 9/8 and not on website yet ... Mandrake

Marschy

« Reply #327 on: August 03, 2014, 09:04:02 AM »
Yeah, buggered if I can put a $400 camera on the front. Not with the way I fly.

Offline rotor138

• Tent User
« Reply #328 on: August 03, 2014, 08:46:07 PM »
Still waiting on my quad, have got all the radio gear and the MultiWii Pro which I've been looking at the programming of.

Have opened a dispute on Ali Express as it has been 18 days and still no tracking information that works, if I get a refund I'm going to purchase a DJI F450 ARF kit without the flight controller.

Marschy

« Reply #329 on: August 03, 2014, 08:58:23 PM »
If your worried about Aliexpress, then a good supplier of quad stuff is Goodluckbuy who have Paypal and your choice of shipping options, but you pay for it. I bought the Reptile-Aphid using free-shipping, which usually equates to snail mail, but the frame arrived in 2 weeks, but I think that was more luck than anything. Just do a search for 'F450 Frame' in the 'Hobbies & Toys' category. Some excellent prices on kits, best I've seen yet.

Marschy

« Reply #330 on: August 04, 2014, 09:47:47 AM »
I must admit it pays to read some of the threads on rcgroups thoroughly before you buy something.

I was reading through the 100+ pages of the MultiWii/Megapirateng thread on rcgroups looking for information for setting up the minimosd. It was taking an awfully long time, so I skipped to the last few pages. I didn't like what I read there.

MultiWii FC firmware for Megapirateng has not advanced since 2013 when the last release was issued (3.0.1r4). According to the threads on rcgroups, most people have moved onto the APM board because there are more active modifications and fixes that are still being applied to the Arducopter firmware and the cost of the APM boards is coming down all the time, whereas the MultiWii firmware for Megapirateng seems to have languished. Release 2.8 supported sonar, then no longer supported sonar with release 3.0.1r4 which is a step backwards. There doesn't appear to be anyone actively modifying the firmware for the promised 3.1 release.

I have had no end of trouble getting the firmware to work with the osd card and still have not managed to get this working. I am about to throw my hands up in the air, admit defeat and move onto the APM board that arrived late last week, which at least the software and hardware where all designed to work together, unlike MultiWii which unless you use native MultiWii firmware seems to struggle with the Megapirateng firmware in one way or another. Without OSD, I will not be flying FPV, just my choice. The long awaited way point navigation for MultiWii is still in its infancy, so the better option for me is to pursue the APM option and cut my losses with the MultiWii.

I'm sure that the MultiWii will work with the right amount of effort, but crikey, I want to fly this bloody thing, not spend the next 3 months trying to work out why its not working properly and waiting for 'possible' firmware updates that may or may not eventuate.

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #331 on: August 05, 2014, 11:33:59 AM »
MultiWii FC firmware for Megapirateng has not advanced since 2013 when the last release was issued (3.0.1r4). According to the threads on rcgroups, most people have moved onto the APM board because there are more active modifications and fixes that are still being applied to the Arducopter firmware and the cost of the APM boards is coming down all the time, whereas the MultiWii firmware for Megapirateng seems to have languished. Release 2.8 supported sonar, then no longer supported sonar with release 3.0.1r4 which is a step backwards. There doesn't appear to be anyone actively modifying the firmware for the promised 3.1 release.

Hi,

I came to that same conclusion when I was looking at the next flight controller and it's why I jumped straight to the APM Mega board.  I looked at a few and weighed them up.  APM seemed to come out ahead, so that's what I ordered.  I'd give up and change to the APM since you've got it.  Use the MultiWii as a fun board, that's what I'm doing with the KK2 board that I have.  APM for the serious aerial photography / movies, and depending on it's acro mode, the KK2 is likely to become the backup if I break the APM and I'm waiting for a replacement.

I'm not happy with AusPost, it seems that their automated parcel locker system failed to send me a notification I had stuff waiting in a locker.  I got the reminder yesterday to say I had 1 day to pickup my stuff (no access code mind you)   ???.  Took AusPost nearly 45 mins to track it down and put in an override to open the box.  So it seems I had my APM a week ago, but I didnt know about it....  So Hobby King was pretty good, 5 days from order to delivery from International warehouse.  Auspost let me down.....

So this week I plan to mount the APM on to the tricopter.

Tried my first FPV flight on the weekend.  I used the PilotHD as the camera, a 5.8Ghz transmitter, a G-OSD with a 7" display / Rx.  The display I had to sit it on my daughters pram (but if AusPost had let me know I would have had a nice mount to hold the display on my transmitter).  I took off LOS and then tried to look down at the display.  It wasnt easy, the OSD I'm using only had battery voltages, no horizon line and the GPS bit wasnt working as it didnt seem to get a lock.

Gave up flying FPV after a minute or two as I had to stick to about 60m x 15m space as there was way to many people around.  I actually stopped a kids rugby practice, the coaches had to yell at them to stop looking at my tricopter.  I think I'll wait until I assemble the mount to hold the screen,  it didnt help that my wife would forget the monitor was on the pram and start rocking it.  That added a new challenge to FPV flying......

Will try again this weekend but with APM and hopefully a clear field ;D

Things to still do:
Build the lipo bunker - been using bags for the time being.
Remount the KK2 Board on to an easily removable tray
Mount the simpleOSD
Test flight of the FPV gear
Attach simple mount for GoPro
Build gimbal mount for GoPro Ordering the basic gimbal from HK (back in stock!!)
Wait for APM Mega to arrive
Mount APM board + accessories
Configure APM Board + accessories
More test flights  ;D

Chris

Toyota Prado (96) - 90 Series & Skamper Kamper Ranger Offroad

Mitsubishi Outlander

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #332 on: August 06, 2014, 11:45:26 AM »
Hi,

Well I'm not so happy with HK today, I spent ages last night trying to wire up the APM 2.7.  I managed to upload the tricopter firmware, attach the power module and telemetry units last night.

Issue was when I was adding the GPS....  It seems that HK think that providing a 5 pin port on the board and only selling GPS's with 6 pins was a good idea.....  Wouldn't have minded so much if it wasn't the GPS that they recommend with this item.  Turns out the PX board takes the 6 pin connector.

So after much reading on the connector I have to move one pin and then cut the 6 pin down to a 5 pin, I'll be trying that tonight.  As a fall back I'm ordering some connectors but it will take some time on the shipping I'm thinking....

Also to get the telemetry to work on Windows 7 I had to go and download the arduino SDK, as it has all the drivers for this stuff.  Once I did that it worked well.

Good news is that I get good readings from my power unit, my telemetry works and that I get good feedback on the screen display.

I agree with HK this APM board is definitely not plug and play.

I just find it odd that they don't sell the connectors that you'd use on this, it's just bizarre to me.  Nor do they provide the advice to cut it down, that came from a buyer and then lots have done it after that.

I'll try to mount it up tonight to see if it will turn some motors!

Chris

Mitsubishi Outlander

Marschy

« Reply #333 on: August 06, 2014, 12:00:27 PM »
Common complaint unfortunately about the APM kits is the wrong connectors. Lucky for me, the one I got from Aliexpress has all the correct molex connections, but even that was pot luck if you ask me. It's definitely a 2.6 board without the onboard compass, but the protective case is a PITA as it is the 2.0 case with the screws on the bottom. So when you apply gyro foam to stick it down, you can't get to the screws on the bottom of the flight board case.

Did you have to reflash the APM telemetry? I haven't got that far yet, still stuffing around with minimOSD. Good thing about the HK version of this board is it comes with the splitter so you can daisy chain the minimOSD and the APM 915 telemetry board at the same time.

Be careful, there is an issue with a 3.3 volt regulator overheating on the board if you power it up with only the USB cable. See here http://diydrones.com/forum/topics/arducopter-3-1-released

Offline WilSurf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #334 on: August 06, 2014, 01:45:43 PM »
I don't know how good this will be but good old Aldi are selling a Go-Pro lookalike for $50 !!! 1080P HD job - Haven't seen specs yet but if its 1920 x 1080 pixels I will be getting one .. 
Its a helmet cam with acrylic case etc - Ideal for flying around with - Maybe get 2 just in case LOL >>>> Its on sale 9/8 and not on website yet ... Mandrake

It is same as BigW is selling for $48.
I am using that one for our 4WD trips.
Works good, not like the GoPro but you can buy 10 of these for 1 Gopro.
- Kimberley Kamper Sports RV Limited Edition
- Lexus LX470 V8, E-locker, ARB Sahara bullbar

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #335 on: August 07, 2014, 12:39:18 AM »
Now this thing is a beast of a big scale P47 ... just gotta crank up the sound https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXt6qUHMRu4
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline Mandrake

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #336 on: August 07, 2014, 05:08:12 PM »

Just checked out the specs ( www.aldi.com.au ) -
720p video ( 1280 x 720 at 30 fps )
BUT - it does have a 2" LCD touch screen ( for playback ??? )
Think I'll get one if I can ...
Mandrake

Marschy

« Reply #337 on: August 07, 2014, 05:23:28 PM »
Not fair, no Aldi in Adelaide.

Offline Mandrake

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #338 on: August 07, 2014, 06:12:16 PM »
You want one ? I can try and get one for you ..

Marschy

« Reply #339 on: August 07, 2014, 06:39:39 PM »
Better not. I've got cheap action cameras coming out my wazoo, but not for a price as good as that

Offline Mandrake

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #340 on: August 09, 2014, 09:57:49 AM »
Good job ya didnt get one !!
Taking mine back now -- Video didn't work ! And there's no screw fitting for tripod mount on the camera its only on the acrylic case ...
Oh well !!
Steve

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #341 on: August 10, 2014, 12:44:17 PM »
A quad bike for the air on its way, seems the Bi- Bike might have been a bit to ambisciuos.interesting that it folds to 1/3 its length for transport .
http://www.gizmag.com/hoverbike-kickstarter-drone/33057/
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 12:45:58 PM by edz »
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline Mandrake

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #342 on: August 10, 2014, 12:58:27 PM »
 Been a keen fan of these things ever since reading Jules Verne "Clipper of the Clouds " - That was a boat with several props where the masts normally go and the hull of the boat was a giant battery cell ... Not sure how it recharged but a great story and a great idea ... Maybe I'll build one and solar power it !! Mandrake
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 01:00:00 PM by Mandrake »

Offline Crisp Image

• Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it again!
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #343 on: August 10, 2014, 08:38:21 PM »
I charged up my batteries for an outing today but the weather closed in so could not get off the ground. We were playing with the SES rescue boats today. Wild have been nice to get some video.

2008 Outback Sturt, 2010 Prado 150 D4D Tug

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #344 on: August 10, 2014, 10:38:29 PM »
Hi,

Well I fixed the issues from my previous flight, had to swap servo out 7 (connected to YAW servo) and then swap it again on my transmitter to get it to turn the right way.  Thought great I'll go up to the oval for a test flight, but thought I'd best do a quick check of the new APM board in the front yard first, if you have read some of my previous posts this was never going to end well and I'm thinking of banning front yard flights for a while.

I put it in a nice clear spot, I turned on the transmitter, then connected the Tricopters battery, then fired up the telemetry.  Good strong signal, at this stage I noticed the battery I'd been using was a little low on juice, I thought it's ok I'm only going to take off a few metres and put her down, what could go wrong....  (Stuff up #3)

I go to arm the board, it wont arm.  I look at the telemetry data, it's got a great GPS signal (less than 30cm out I'd say), but it's getting a prearm compass error, compass was correct though.  I decide to go in and disable the arming checks (stuff up #4).  I arm the board and it all looks good.  I start to power it up and it takes flight, god it was beautiful the stabilise mode is brilliant, never seen it so stable in flight before.  Then 2 seconds later it starts to climb, I decide to lower the power, no response.  Hmmm that is odd I think, so as a safety precaution I back the throttle right off, it still continues to climb but faster and faster.  I decide to see if some stick input works (ailerons, yaw and elevator), oddly it does so I put it into a bank to try to loose some alt, it starts to lower, but it's getting faster and faster, so I decide to put the stick in full to the side and luckily it falls rapidly.  Right then it was over a neighbours house 2 doors down and smack into their roof it goes.  Crap.  I disarm the board and I take a quick look at the telemetry data, yep it's on my neighbours roof two houses down.  I notice the battery voltage is low, not normal low but really low, it was reading 7.4v for a 3s, i remember saying that's not good..  I go for a walk and sure enough I can see it on their roof.

A quick trip to my local unit and I pick up a collapsible ladder (was just a little higher than the ladders I have at home and damn it was tight spot to get the ladder in) and a long pole.  15 mins later and I have it down.

Damage report:
One cracked propeller
One cracked tail boom
couple of snapped zipties
One dead LiPO - cell checker wont even fire up

All up about $15-20 damage.  No damage to neighbours roof, considering the condition of the tiles I was impressed.  FC and associated items all seem to fire up on a post examination and test.

So if you noticed I started with stuff up #3 above, that's because after I checked the telemetry I was able to work out the other two.  So the swiss cheese method has been used, my 4 holes lined up and created this accident.

Stuff Up #1 - Dont set any initial failsafes to RTL, have them set as LAND.  I had both Geofence and low battery failsafes set to RTL.  Change back to RTL once initial flight tests are completed.
Stuff Up #2 - Double check that home is the current launch site.  I was playing with the setting the night before and loaded a mission that had it set to a playing field 500m away (which should have set the Geofence off, seems low battery takes priority over geofence).

So what have I learnt?
1. Dont turn off the arming checks they are there for a reason.  Fix all issues before flying!
2. Always check where home is, I should have seen it on the map on the tablet but didn't notice it wasn't there.
3. I've turned Geofence and low battery to LAND, I'm sure I'll switch that to RTL but not until I trust myself some more, until then I'd prefer it lands  and I deal with the problems of where it lands at that time.
4. Always start with a fresh battery, even for those quick simple flights.
5. That I'm a lucky bastard -  had it flown to the RTL site it would have been over a group of kids playing some rugby, like right in the middle of their game.
6. Even for simple test flights turn on the camera so you get the cool footage of the copter going nuts.....
7. Take pics of the damage next time, sigh.....

So I've fixed the broken boom and remounted all the gear, what's great is that I needed to redo the rear boom to make more room for the FPV and Telemetry masts but it just hasn't broken until now.

If my OSD was working I would have known what was happening, but since my tab was 5m away when it started to go funny, I couldn't walk over.  I need to get my minimOSD working.

I have two Questions for those with APM / HK Pilot boards:
1. Should have I been able to provide inputs when it went to RTL mode?  I would have thought not?  I have checked that in the telemetry it reports it as RTL mode.  I'm wondering if the low battery was putting out less to the motors but in a non coordinated way and it just happened to be  similar as my inputs?
2. If you have a HKPilot 2.7 / APM 2.7 board and MinimOSD, have you connected it to the DF13 plug the one marked I2C?  If so have you got yours to work?  Mine sits there waiting for MAVLINK to start, I've tried with no TX connected on the OSD and with a TX on the OSD.  Have you tried to connect it using the piggy back harness on the telemetry?  Mine seems to cause issues for the board and it wont start up - well the ESC's dont make music. 

Cant wait to try it out again taking care of all the issues above that is :-)

Chris
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 12:35:45 AM by CBRK »

Mitsubishi Outlander

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #345 on: August 10, 2014, 10:44:07 PM »
I charged up my batteries for an outing today but the weather closed in so could not get off the ground. We were playing with the SES rescue boats today. Wild have been nice to get some video.

Thats a bugger about the weather.  Have a read of my other post, you could have had an afternoon like mine.

I'd love to do some filming of our boat work but NSW has a ban on them as they don't have an RPA operators license, so if I did it would have to be as a private citizen.  They have working group that will come up with a plan, will be interested to see what they come up with.  For me it would be a hard call, do the boat work or fly.... 

Mitsubishi Outlander

Marschy

« Reply #346 on: August 11, 2014, 07:32:29 AM »
My understanding is the 3dr telemetry and the minimosd both have to plug into the telemetry port on the APM with a y cable. The i2c port doesn't send mavlink data. It was either my Multiwii fc board or the minimosd board from HK came with the appropriate cable.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 08:55:39 AM by Marschy »

Marschy

« Reply #347 on: August 11, 2014, 09:03:31 AM »
1. Should have I been able to provide inputs when it went to RTL mode?  I would have thought not?  I have checked that in the telemetry it reports it as RTL mode.  I'm wondering if the low battery was putting out less to the motors but in a non coordinated way and it just happened to be  similar as my inputs?
2. If you have a HKPilot 2.7 / APM 2.7 board and MinimOSD, have you connected it to the DF13 plug the one marked I2C?  If so have you got yours to work?  Mine sits there waiting for MAVLINK to start, I've tried with no TX connected on the OSD and with a TX on the OSD.  Have you tried to connect it using the piggy back harness on the telemetry?  Mine seems to cause issues for the board and it wont start up - well the ESC's dont make music. 
There is a bloke on rcgroups called mochaboy who has a youtube clip that shows the wiring diagram for APM/3DR Telemetry/OSD. There are two clips, but one has a diagram that will give you what you are after for wiring up both 3DR and OSD.

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #348 on: August 11, 2014, 10:29:42 AM »
There is a bloke on rcgroups called mochaboy who has a youtube clip that shows the wiring diagram for APM/3DR Telemetry/OSD. There are two clips, but one has a diagram that will give you what you are after for wiring up both 3DR and OSD.

Yep, I looked at it and used it, seemed to match hk supplied harnedd. Didnt work for some reason. Now waiting for my precrimped wires and connectors to make my own harness. As well as a replacement cable, will see which one arrives first.

The video only covers the piggyback method, have you tried the separate connect ion method, its one of the changes in the 2.7 board.

Chris

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk 2

Mitsubishi Outlander

Marschy

« Reply #349 on: August 11, 2014, 10:46:46 AM »
Pretty much where I'm at the moment. I'm waiting on a couple of metres of servo wire and crimp connectors to make my own leads for APM to receiver. I still have the splitter cable for Telemetry/OSD/APM, but the shipment with the servo wire also has yet another minimOSD after I stuffed up my second one. So I'm waiting, waiting, waiting.

I managed to get the OSD working with my first board, then I attempted the dreaded voltage monitor modification for the MultiWii at which point it fell into a pile of do do. However with that board I had the 5 volt pads soldered, and the PAL pad as well, and also removed the 'APWR' diode. That all worked sweet. Then after I stuffed up the board by bridging terminals on the ATMEGA chip, the second board I removed the 'APWR' diode, and the board never worked from the get go after I removed the diode. The second board also came with the analog and digital sides of the board already soldered together!!!!!

I'm waiting on another minimOSD board that has been in Australia since the 6th August, but the tracking has not progressed any further since.

I've got the 2.6 board, but from what I understand, these two boards are pretty much the same, but the I2C port is closer to the GPS port on the 2.7 board so the GPS and compass can be plugged in close together.

Please keep testing and posting your results. I'll catch up soon.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 10:49:26 AM by Marschy »