Author Topic: Remote controlled flying things-Quads, Hex, Octo or anything  (Read 683657 times)

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: Remote controlled flying things-Quads, Hex, Octo or anything
« Reply #1100 on: January 01, 2015, 11:29:58 PM »
I had a play with the Mini APM today, I have it taking in the PPM signal, the GPS seems to be working, the power module seems to be working too but I have an issue with the motor output.  Wondering if you have gotten to this stage with the miniAPM?

The one test ESC I have doesn't sing when I hook it up, it does if I bypass the ESC and go direct to the receive (in PWM mode).  I am definitely getting a PPM signal for the throttle....  I've checked the ESC is getting power (reading same as battery).  I thought I only needed to wire in the signal wire of the ESC as the ESC has ground return path via it's powered line.  I've checked that the +5V line on the miniAPM (motor output) is showing 5.27V so all good there.  I've double checked output signal line to make sure I've got the right one plugged in.  I've checked it with wiring in the GND line too just in case.  I only have the 1 ESC plugged in as it's my spare, I thought it worked if you only had one plugged in?

If I don't suss it out by tomorrow night I'll post up a pic to see if anyone can work out what I've done wrong.....

Eureka!  Odd I thought I had done an RC calibration on the miniAPM earlier, seems it lost it or I'm remembering stuff that hasnt happened....  When I went into Mission Planner it was saying RC not calibrated.  Got me thinking that the ESC wasn't getting low signal via the APM.  Did a calibration and bingo on the next start off the battery it was singing to me.

Can confirm no need to wire up anything besides signal wire on the motor outputs.

On the motor output I will replace the required single connectors with 3 pin female servo connectors so it accepts the servo connectors from the ESC's.  Should be straight forward.  I'll then pop the non required cables to reduce the clutter.

Swapped in a small GPS (Max-7Q) on to the mini Quad today, so my Tricopter can have it's GPS back and return to flying it.  I plan to take the mini quad for a spin in the morning, but I have to say the Max-7Q is not that great, hard to get sat's (the Neo-7 was getting 7 where the Max-07Q was getting 4) with it, but I guess that is due to it's small antenna.

I'm thinking the crash that broke the previous GPS might just be the antenna, I'll try a replacement antenna and see how it's goes.  It was much better than the Max-7Q.

Played with the 2 axis Tarot Gimbal today, holy hell they are great.  Cant wait to get that onto the Tricopter, I'm gonna love it :-)  I feel like a kid in a candy shop right now  ;D ;D ;D  Worst part is that I have to build a frame to hold it or put extremely long landing gear onto the tri (like 25-30cm sticks.....)  Bugger it I'll just extend the landing gear so I can have some fun!!

Chris

« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 11:44:02 PM by CBRK »
Toyota Prado (96) - 90 Series & Skamper Kamper Ranger Offroad

Mitsubishi Outlander

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #1101 on: January 01, 2015, 11:35:24 PM »
Been following along the journey reading you guys post and yes hooked another person. I used to fly fixed wing for about 10 years a long time ago. Been looking at buying a bit of stuff from hobby king. Do you guys buy mainly from the Australian warehouse or international. Thinking freight might kill you buy from the international one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi PluckA,

I buy mainly from the AUS warehouse, but as others have said it is down to the stock being available.  I've found that if you use a parcel locker you can use the AusPost and I get parcels within 3 business days (in Syd).  Thats order by midday on and have it in my hands on the way home from work on 3 days later, somethings it's even been there on day 2......

The freight costs from HK arent too bad - if you keep it light and not bulky, I use Aus Air Express and they deliver to Aus Post parcel lockers.  If you have them in your area check them out, as I usually work and I had having to organise for redeliveries.

I avoid Couriers Please with a passion, can elaborate but not happy with them.

What are you thinking of getting?

Chris

Mitsubishi Outlander

Marschy

« Reply #1102 on: January 02, 2015, 07:01:39 AM »
Eureka!  Odd I thought I had done an RC calibration on the miniAPM earlier, seems it lost it or I'm remembering stuff that hasnt happened....  When I went into Mission Planner it was saying RC not calibrated.  Got me thinking that the ESC wasn't getting low signal via the APM.  Did a calibration and bingo on the next start off the battery it was singing to me.

Can confirm no need to wire up anything besides signal wire on the motor outputs.

On the motor output I will replace the required single connectors with 3 pin female servo connectors so it accepts the servo connectors from the ESC's.  Should be straight forward.  I'll then pop the non required cables to reduce the clutter.

Swapped in a small GPS (Max-7Q) on to the mini Quad today, so my Tricopter can have it's GPS back and return to flying it.  I plan to take the mini quad for a spin in the morning, but I have to say the Max-7Q is not that great, hard to get sat's (the Neo-7 was getting 7 where the Max-07Q was getting 4) with it, but I guess that is due to it's small antenna.

I'm thinking the crash that broke the previous GPS might just be the antenna, I'll try a replacement antenna and see how it's goes.  It was much better than the Max-7Q.

Played with the 2 axis Tarot Gimbal today, holy hell they are great.  Cant wait to get that onto the Tricopter, I'm gonna love it :-)  I feel like a kid in a candy shop right now  ;D ;D ;D  Worst part is that I have to build a frame to hold it or put extremely long landing gear onto the tri (like 25-30cm sticks.....)  Bugger it I'll just extend the landing gear so I can have some fun!!

Chris
Gotta love it when something that has been frustrating you starts working. I'll be picking your brain once I get back to the mini quad for sure.

Did you contact Steve about that GPS antenna he had on offer?

I had a win yesterday, the 6026A SMD voltage regulators arrived in the mail earlier in the week, and I soldered one into my fried OrangeRX R910 receiver and the bloody thing worked  ;D

Tarot gimbal is great. Did you get the T-2D or the one for the Mobius. I eventually gave up trying to configure the Tarot ZYZ22 gimbal controller from scratch with the Goodluckbuy motors (LD Power) and ended up finding a null version of the Alexmos firmware that I reflashed the GLB gimbal controller with. Works really well, but as others have reported causes the motors to produce a constant tone. I now have a spare gimbal controller for the Tarot which may come in handy.

After having high crab landing gear, I am looking forward to trying out the new X-mode Alien frame with the in-line gimbal. I want to keep the centre of gravity as low as possible. I should be close to finishing it today. The only problem with the in-line gimbals is the lack of vibration dampening. Even though that is the case, people report good results as long as props and motors are balanced correctly. This mod can also be done to the Tarot gimbal, but I wouldn't do that when you can buy $50US GLB gimbals that work really well with their stock firmware.

Offline Crisp Image

• Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it again!
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #1103 on: January 02, 2015, 07:25:01 AM »
Hey Marchey
What frame is that gimbal on? Can you control pitch and roll with your Tx?
And what is the outside dimensions of the frame.
Where did you get it from.
Regards
Crispy

Sent using fat fingers on the iPad thingy

2008 Outback Sturt, 2010 Prado 150 D4D Tug

Marschy

« Reply #1104 on: January 02, 2015, 07:40:07 AM »
G'day Crispy,

This is the frame. Cheap as chips ($17.09 US), but the arms are good quality nylon/glass fibre. Unlike the Reptile-Aphid frame I bought that had acrylic arms. You just leave a message with the seller telling him what colour arms you want. It doesn't show it in the listing but the frame also has a small GoPro isolation mount for the front.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/MWC-X-Mode-Alien-Multicopter-Quadcopter-Frame-Kit-Random-Color-as-DJI-HJ-APM-GPS/1766737798.html

Wheel base is 50x50cm. Box dimensions are 355x355. It is in fact an X-quad, not a deadcat configuration. The geometry is changed to give the gimbal a clear view with (hopefully) no view of the propellers. The front arms are much closer together at the frame mount points than the rear arms.

Goodluck buy also sell them as a Locust bundled with an in-line gimbal which I just noticed has come down in price by nearly $50US, which is a bloody bargain, they used to be $120US. I opted to DIY as I already had the gimbal, but if you can get one for that sort of price with a gimbal I would grab one.

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #1105 on: January 02, 2015, 10:55:33 AM »
Gotta love it when something that has been frustrating you starts working. I'll be picking your brain once I get back to the mini quad for sure.

Did you contact Steve about that GPS antenna he had on offer?

I had a win yesterday, the 6026A SMD voltage regulators arrived in the mail earlier in the week, and I soldered one into my fried OrangeRX R910 receiver and the bloody thing worked  ;D

Tarot gimbal is great. Did you get the T-2D or the one for the Mobius. I eventually gave up trying to configure the Tarot ZYZ22 gimbal controller from scratch with the Goodluckbuy motors (LD Power) and ended up finding a null version of the Alexmos firmware that I reflashed the GLB gimbal controller with. Works really well, but as others have reported causes the motors to produce a constant tone. I now have a spare gimbal controller for the Tarot which may come in handy.

After having high crab landing gear, I am looking forward to trying out the new X-mode Alien frame with the in-line gimbal. I want to keep the centre of gravity as low as possible. I should be close to finishing it today. The only problem with the in-line gimbals is the lack of vibration dampening. Even though that is the case, people report good results as long as props and motors are balanced correctly. This mod can also be done to the Tarot gimbal, but I wouldn't do that when you can buy $50US GLB gimbals that work really well with their stock firmware.

I know, I was so happy last night.  I was starting to think I was going insane, again a stop and start from beginning helped... Why dont I learn....

Hmmm, asking Steve about the antenna, now that would have been the smart thing to do, instead I did the male thing and ordered 10 pcs of patch antennas for $10......

When I say tarot I mean clone :-)  It's a 2D gimbal and it has a controller that runs alexmos v2.4.  It is the gopro style and it fits both my gopro and cheap action cam.  Damn it works well on the bench - barely needed tweaking - I'm sure I will tweak it some more.  Will be next week before it gets mounted on the tri....

Chris

Mitsubishi Outlander

Offline allan.kidd

• Tent User
  • Toyota Land Cruiser; Kimberley Kamper SE
« Reply #1106 on: January 02, 2015, 01:46:03 PM »
As a retired software engineer (and complete novice with this technology) I have to admit defeat when understanding the programming of the Devo 7 transmitter for my Walkera QR X350Pro – I can physically follow the instructions but do not understand what is the affect of the following:

Is anybody able to translate into words what these settings achieve?

The controller looks like:

And the receiver:

Allan

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #1107 on: January 02, 2015, 01:46:30 PM »
So the small Max-7Q's arent too bad in clear skys, I dont think I'd trust them too much in poor coverage areas (such as under trees).  The 15mmx15mm antenna is just too small.  I think they'd be ok with a 25mmx25mm.  I was getting 6 or 7 sats in clear skys, the bigger Neo-7M's get 9 at the same spot.

I do have an interesting occurrence, in alt hold mode again it shot up again.  I did some testing, I noticed that my alt relative to home was staying the same despite me going up, so this leads me to believe my barometer is getting confused by either wind or light.  This was even more evident when the wind blew.  This is odd as I have foam covering the barometer to try to prevent this.  In QLD I used a closed cell foam and I swapped it out for open cell today - the same method that I used in my tricopter....  Only difference between the Tri and the APM I've got on the quad is that the Tri has a 2.7 APM and the quad is using a 2.5 board.

I'll have to do some further testing to eliminate the issue - hoping it wont be an issue for the miniAPM board (have to find the barometer on it)..

On a plus the quad flew really well in the light to moderate winds.  I plan to upload a whole bunch of vids over the weekend.

Chris

Mitsubishi Outlander

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #1108 on: January 02, 2015, 01:54:24 PM »
As a retired software engineer (and complete novice with this technology) I have to admit defeat when understanding the programming of the Devo 7 transmitter for my Walkera QR X350Pro – I can physically follow the instructions but do not understand what is the affect of the following:

And the receiver:

Hi Allan,

The main things you need to worry about are the connection between the receiver  and the Devo-M.  You can see the data bus connection from the reveiver (at the top) goes into the Devo-M's data bus.  This will basically allow a whole bunch of inputs from the receiver over one cable.

If it's for the quad copter you mentioed earlier then you'll connect the ESC's to the motor outputs on the left side of the Devo-M.  If it's a plan or tri then you'll need to plug in servo connections for the other controls surfaces.  Plug in the GPS connection to the GPS link (at the bottom of the Devo-M) and the compass into the compass link at the top of the Devo-M.  YOu shouldnt need anything else plugged in yet.  On the transmitter, start with the defaults and go from there.

Regards,

Chris
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 01:58:11 PM by CBRK »

Mitsubishi Outlander

Offline Crisp Image

• Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it again!
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #1109 on: January 02, 2015, 01:57:41 PM »

And the receiver:

So Alan,
What are you trying to do with this. Connection or programing? Your post was a little unclear to me.
and have you tried to find youtube videos or asked Yahoo (google) how and what?
Regards
Crispy

2008 Outback Sturt, 2010 Prado 150 D4D Tug

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #1110 on: January 02, 2015, 01:59:15 PM »
Hi Allan,

The main things you need to worry about are the connection between the receiver  and the Devo-M.  You can see the data bus connection from the reveiver (at the top) goes into the Devo-M's data bus.  This will basically allow a whole bunch of inputs from the receiver over one cable.

If it's for the quad copter you mentioed earlier then you'll connect the ESC's to the motor outputs on the left side of the Devo-M.  If it's a plan or tri then you'll need to plug in servo connections for the other controls surfaces.  Plug in the GPS connection to the GPS link (at the bottom of the Devo-M) and the compass into the compass link at the top of the Devo-M.  YOu shouldnt need anything else plugged in yet.  On the transmitter, start with the defaults and go from there.

Regards,

Chris

Hi Allan,

I thought the quad was a ready to fly model you bought?  If so then it should already be plugged in and it should be a matter of taking a pic and seeing what's plugged in where.

Chris

Mitsubishi Outlander

Marschy

« Reply #1111 on: January 02, 2015, 02:08:54 PM »
Sorry I Can't help Allan, the only thing I know about Devo is these crazy hats they used to wear.

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #1112 on: January 02, 2015, 04:48:26 PM »
Sorry I Can't help Allan, the only thing I know about Devo is these crazy hats they used to wear.

Hi Marschy,

Thanks for that, now i know about devo hats..... Weird (not you the hats and people that wore them).

It uses a custom ardupilot set, so once he's got stuff connected we can help with mission planner, etc...

Chris

« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 12:27:11 AM by CBRK »

Mitsubishi Outlander

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #1113 on: January 02, 2015, 11:52:11 PM »
I have managed to wire up the miniAPM board with the following:

1 x ESC and Motor
1 x Power Module
1 x GPS and Compass module
1 x Receiver in CPPM mode
1 x Telemetry Radio (and MinimOSD ready with connector)

I have removed non required wires from the plugs, for the CPPM I bridged pin 2 and 3 with a blob of solder on the board itself (saved having to put a loop cable in, just another thing that could go wrong later on).  Had to solder a few cables up, all nicely done with heat shrink, etc.....  Had to replace a few of the connectors, like the ones going to the ESC's with male servo connectors and the receiver instead of using 3 single connectors I popped the metal connector out and put into a 3P servo connector.

Besides alot of stuffing around with plugs, the only issue I have is the internal compass is still giving readings, so I have to cut the bridge for that.  Oh and the case needs some additional trimming to keep all the connectors securely in place.

I have bench tested and connected using the telemetry radio to my PC.  Looks good, I think I will be able to mount it into the mini Quad early next week and it will take up considerably less room than the full size APM board.  I still have to lookup where the barometer is located so I can put a piece of foam in.

So overall I'm pretty happy with the board so far, definitely not a plug and play board that is for sure.  This one has required far more work than the full size.  What is crazy is that for only a little bit more effort it could be a plug and play board.....

Chris

Mitsubishi Outlander

Marschy

« Reply #1114 on: January 03, 2015, 01:29:43 AM »
This is the barometer chip.

Offline PluckA

• Learning the Ropes
Remote controlled flying things-Quads, Hex, Octo or anything
« Reply #1115 on: January 03, 2015, 07:04:57 AM »
Are you guys going to use 2.4 for rc and 5.8 for video or are some of you planning uhf rc and 2.4 video. Been looking at the ezeuhf transmitters.

Using Tapatalk

Offline Mandrake

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Triple Vaxed and ready to go ANYWHERE ( please )
« Reply #1116 on: January 03, 2015, 07:21:22 AM »
My Alien is 2.4 RC and 5.8 Video - My Phantom is the reverse 5.8 RC and 2.4 Video however this is going to get flipped around to keep considtent with the Alien .. I'm told 5.8 Video is better and more reliable - I haven't been able to verify that statement yet as I can't get the Alien off the deck !!
Going back to basics - sort of ...

Marschy

« Reply #1117 on: January 03, 2015, 08:17:10 AM »
My Alien is 2.4 RC and 5.8 Video - My Phantom is the reverse 5.8 RC and 2.4 Video however this is going to get flipped around to keep considtent with the Alien .. I'm told 5.8 Video is better and more reliable - I haven't been able to verify that statement yet as I can't get the Alien off the deck !!
Lower frequencies have the ability to 'punch' through objects better. So in fact 2.4 would be better for video. But the 2.4Ghz frequency is used more often for the radio transmitter, presumably because control of the aircraft takes priority over maintaining the video link. I don't know why DJI flipped it around. I can only presume to lock people into their products.

Steve, I know how frustrating it can be with a DIY build. I bought $60+ worth of 11x4.7 carbon fibre props, only to find that my weight is now 2264 which coupled with the ability of the motors means I am now less than 2:1 power to weight ratio. I may now have to get 12 inch props.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 08:20:31 AM by Marschy »

Offline PluckA

• Learning the Ropes
Remote controlled flying things-Quads, Hex, Octo or anything
« Reply #1118 on: January 03, 2015, 02:20:04 PM »
Was thinking of going down the ezeuhf route for rc and 2.4 for video. In saying that the price my scare me off. Especially the cost of good antennas.

Using Tapatalk

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #1119 on: January 03, 2015, 04:12:39 PM »
Was thinking of going down the ezeuhf route for rc and 2.4 for video. In saying that the price my scare me off. Especially the cost of good antennas.

Hi PluckA,

If you are planning on doing UHF for the RC control you'll need your Radio Amateur (HAM) certificate, I think a basic foundation class will give you what you need to run it, best to check with a place that does training in that area.

To be honest unless you are doing BVLOS you wont need to use UHF for control, and unless you have a Controllers Cert and Operators Cert from CASA you shouldn't be doing BVLOS flying.  I personally don't count ducking behind some trees as BVLOS, which we all do, you'll find 2.4 for the rc control will still work fine.  I've found that the 5.8 link for video still works as long as I don't park myself behind a bunch of trees - this is is with CP antennas.

I think you'll find the 2.4 Video gear more expensive than 5.8 and the 433 RC stuff is either more expensive or for the cheaper stuff you'll find you need to stuff around more with it.

Chris

Mitsubishi Outlander

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #1120 on: January 03, 2015, 04:44:44 PM »
This is the barometer chip.

Hi Mark,

Thanks for that, saved me looking it up :-)

Chip is now covered with some foam and JP1 cut, case is now done up.  miniAPM is configured to use external compass.  Note that it since I have it in learn mode, the compass still moves a little bit when I turn the case of the miniAPM (and not the compass - it comes back to the right place after a second or so).  I will be turning this off once I've calibrated it. 

This confused me as I thought I'd stuffed up on the JP1 cut.  It wasnt until I tried the calibrate with no external compass that it confirmed I'd cut JP1 correctly.  Took me half an hour on this one....

I've had to set the orientation of the compass to roll 180 degrees, not sure if I need to yaw it any yet (no direction arrow on the GPS....)

Did a GPS test, I think I was being mean to the Ublox Max7Q gps, I put the NEO 6M (25x25mm antenna) that came with the miniAPM, in the same spot  and I was getting similar results.  I'm also thinking about using the I2C breakout board I've got and seeing if I can get two GPS's running on the Tricopter for better precision.

FYI, I was getting a bad gyro warning when running off USB, it's fine when running off the power module.  I looked at the regulator, appears fine, but I'll do a test in the future if I see the warning pop up again.

I plan to mount up the mini APM onto the mini Quad on Monday and take it for a test spin.  I want to take the quad for a spin on the full size board once more so that will be Sunday's fun plus editing the last x flights worth of videos.

Chris

Mitsubishi Outlander

Offline PluckA

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #1121 on: January 03, 2015, 06:34:30 PM »
Thanks for the info Chris, it did think you might have needed some sort of certification to fly uhf.   I've been reading up a fair bit on the fpv stuff and frames etc to see what's around and would best fit my needs. It's changed a fair bit since I used to fly fixed wings using crystals int the tx and rx. Everytime I've decided on a quad I read someone's else's setup and change my mind haha

Using Tapatalk

Marschy

« Reply #1122 on: January 03, 2015, 06:39:51 PM »
Thanks for the info Chris, it did think you might have needed some sort of certification to fly uhf.   I've been reading up a fair bit on the fpv stuff and frames etc to see what's around and would best fit my needs. It's changed a fair bit since I used to fly fixed wings using crystals int the tx and rx. Everytime I've decided on a quad I read someone's else's setup and change my mind haha

I still had my 36Mhz radios at the beginning of last year. I gave them and 3 planes to a friend of mine with a young son who hasn't and probably wont use them. I may see him about getting the transmitters and receivers back. They were all certified radios with MASA.

Offline Mandrake

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Triple Vaxed and ready to go ANYWHERE ( please )
« Reply #1123 on: January 04, 2015, 09:02:06 AM »
Guys . Saw a thrust measurer on YouTube so I decided to build my own.. My motor / prop combination is underpowered for the Alien . 450 GMs of lift per motor flat chat...
Pics in a minute...

I will tidy this up with a wattmeter added.

Underpowered.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 09:05:04 AM by Mandrake »
Going back to basics - sort of ...

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #1124 on: January 04, 2015, 03:39:52 PM »
Guys . Saw a thrust measurer on YouTube so I decided to build my own.. My motor / prop combination is underpowered for the Alien . 450 GMs of lift per motor flat chat...
Pics in a minute...

I will tidy this up with a wattmeter added.

Underpowered.

Hi Steve,

Hows it work? Most ive seen use a triangle frame, looks like a single pole, hows it stay up right?

Chris

Mitsubishi Outlander