Author Topic: It's for his own good.  (Read 27814 times)

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
There's no Great Evil conspiracy against consumers within engineering, manufacturing and supply. Just the many tradeoffs incurred to satisfy diverse tastes, priorities and wallets. But first comes all the insatiable Gummint eggsperts, nanny-staters and usual suspects.

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
Re: It's for his own good.
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 07:09:29 PM »
FFS if I see this link posted one more time today I am going to kick a furry animal >:D
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline Mace

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Life's to short to drive a boring vehicle.
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2014, 07:19:55 PM »
Here ya go!

:cheers:

« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 07:22:46 PM by Mace »
2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel
2009 Coromal 452
2002 Commodore SS (The Toy)

Offline Marcus73

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2014, 07:35:16 PM »
Oh how tempted I am at the moment D4D :) ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2014, 11:57:43 PM »
Wouldn't mind betting the copper involved was ticked off for not having his pinches up and decided stuff management and I'll show em and get joe public up in arms at the same time. Coppers do talk among themselves about some of the quirky laws and regs on the books and maybe they decided to see who could come up with the most bizarre pinch.
There's no Great Evil conspiracy against consumers within engineering, manufacturing and supply. Just the many tradeoffs incurred to satisfy diverse tastes, priorities and wallets. But first comes all the insatiable Gummint eggsperts, nanny-staters and usual suspects.

KingBilly

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2014, 09:19:08 AM »
Wouldn't mind betting the copper involved was ticked off for not having his pinches up and decided stuff management and I'll show em and get joe public up in arms at the same time. Coppers do talk among themselves about some of the quirky laws and regs on the books and maybe they decided to see who could come up with the most bizarre pinch.

Really?  And you know this how?

Do you honestly believe this sensationalised news report told the whole story?  Or was it just a slow news day and they needed something to keep the readers interested.

As I said in another thread last week, without conspiracy theories and those who invent them and/or promote them, half of the members on this forum would have nothing to post about.

KB
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 01:40:04 PM by KingBilly »

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2014, 09:20:51 AM »
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

KingBilly

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2014, 01:38:24 PM »
As I said above, there's always more to the story than what first appears.

BRISBANE COURIER MAIL SATURDAY 4 JANUARY 2014

POLICE Commissioner Ian Stewart is making no apologies for slapping motorists with fines for leaving their car windows down, saying his officers are preventing crime and saving resources.

Mr Stewart says an officer who issued a Brisbane father with a $44 ticket did a "good job'' and the motorist got off lightly after also parking illegally on the footpath on the wrong side of the road.

"The law was put in place for a simple reason. It was to stop people breaking into cars stealing things and from stealing the car,'' Mr Stewart said.

"That's exactly what our officer was doing, within the law and with discretion. He was simply doing his job.''

Mr Harris said he was visiting family on Sunday when he decided to leave two windows down "three to four" centimetres to let hot air escape from the car on a 34C day.

Under Queensland law, vehicles must be "secured" with the engine off, hand brake applied, ignition key removed and windows up with a gap no more than 5cm.

Mr Stewart said the officer checked five vehicles - issuing warnings in three cases when he could locate the owners and fines in the two other cases.

"I would back the judgement of my officer,'' Mr Stewart said.

"The officer was acting on an intelligence brief in that area that there had been a number of thefts from motor vehicles and unlawful uses".

"The vehicle actually commits three very obvious offences.
One is that it is parked on the incorrect side of the road. The second is that it's parked on the footpath. And the third that it doesn't obey the law in relation to the window being open.

"The officer didn't give them three tickets. The officer simply gave this car a ticket for the matter he was doing his job for, which was to try and drop the number of unlawful entries into cars."

"The officer acted quite appropriately and within the law. I would hope that the public would recognise that the officer did use discretion."

Offline muzza01

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Y62 S5 Nissan Patrol and Tanami 13 Hybrid
    • Photobucket Muz
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2014, 02:06:34 PM »
As KB has shown. Always two sides to the story.

Parked on wrong side of the road, on the footpath and windows open.
$44 = bargain

Obviously the Policeman felt sorry for the bloke and decided to give him the cheapest infringement fine out of he three.

Offline berlitza

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2014, 02:09:26 PM »
So he got fined for having his window down and not for parking illegally on the footpath and on the wrong side of the road,, well at least they have there priorities in hand , lmfao   jeeeesh, loved how he justified that
All my life, I thought air was free...until I bought a bag of chips

KingBilly

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2014, 03:27:33 PM »
loved how he justified that

Pretty easy actually:

"The officer was acting on an intelligence brief in that area that there had been a number of thefts from motor vehicles and unlawful uses".

KB

Offline JCAT

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Live for today, you may not be here tomorrow.
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2014, 03:39:58 PM »
Would he have preferred the $110 (or similar) for parking on the footpath or wrong side of the road?
2018 Prado GXL
2017 Vista Crossover XL

Offline dazzler

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Power Power Power
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2014, 03:49:13 PM »
About 10 yrs ago I routinely worked the 6p-2a Fri/Sat shift solely doing traffic work.  Mostly young fellas being silly.  Normally you would get them for two or three things like a speed plus a red light or a speed and no p plates or a burnout and then a speed.

We would book them for one and caution for the other but as a bit of a game would let them decide which they got.   Happy for them to chat with their mates and decide but wouldnt tell them the $$ figures.

This was a bit of a game.  You got caught being silly and its gunna cost a few $$ to learn but it can be a bit of fun - given the circumstances.

Ended up with a formal complaint for dereliction of duty.  So that DH spoilt it for the rest of them.  No more fun police. Here are your fines.  Have a safe day.

Most Motorists are sucks.  If you let them off you were the greatest cop in history and they would just about let you sleep with their sister.  You're a "top bloke mate".

Book them and you were 'insert expletive here'.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
My alternative to cheap import trailers;

http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=36094.msg578367#msg578367

Offline berlitza

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2014, 04:19:42 PM »
Pretty easy actually:

KB

so public safety (illegally parked on footpath on opposite side of the road) personally I would have thought public saftety first followed by worrying about getting ya gps-car nicked second, interesting interpretation  if intelligence , wonder if this would have outcome if someone was injured while trying to get around the illegally parked car
All my life, I thought air was free...until I bought a bag of chips

Offline t303

• Swag User
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2014, 04:40:25 PM »
It's a pity that the police couldn't spend more of their hours chasing miscreants down rather than writing frivolous warnings and fines, but I guess that activity is difficult and revenue negative.  Many members of the  constabulary and their superiors show little interest in activities that create work, like property crime or antisocial behavior,  but seem to have a keen interest in those that generate favourable "crime stats" and revenue with minimal work:  look, we caught all these drivers who did not stop for the required three seconds at the stop sign, or didn't put on their seatbelt to move their car from second in line to the next available fuel bowser on the servo forecourt!  (a big "attaboy, way to go!" to the hard working and productive police in Toowoomba QLD)   :cheers:
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 04:42:19 PM by t303 »

Offline BBwilly

• Tent User
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2014, 04:53:30 PM »
I am sorry but it doesn't matter how the QLD police try to to swing this its nothing more then a cluster **** why not have some caution notices printed up that they can stick through the window etc what ever happened to being for the community, they wonder why they have lost respect of many of the public.

Offline Garfish

• Mini Marlin
  • Soft Floor Camper User
  • Have fun and enjoy
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2014, 05:34:29 PM »
I am sorry but it doesn't matter how the QLD police try to to swing this its nothing more then a cluster **** why not have some caution notices printed up that they can stick through the window etc what ever happened to being for the community, they wonder why they have lost respect of many of the public.
Now your getting confused it's the judges in a Qld who give everyone a warning. The police rest no chrge and the judges say it's not fair he didn't mean any harm
Ross
No camper or 4x4 😪

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2014, 05:43:15 PM »
This is probably why they have a no bullsh!t attitude...

Qld cop dragged 200m by car
http://www.news.com.au/national/breaking-news/qld-cop-dragged-200m-by-car/story-e6frfku9-1226794844664

A police officer is recovering after being dragged 200 metres along a road by a car in central Townsville.

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline muzza01

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Y62 S5 Nissan Patrol and Tanami 13 Hybrid
    • Photobucket Muz
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2014, 06:35:08 PM »

http://www.news.com.au/national/breaking-news/qld-cop-dragged-200m-by-car/story-e6frfku9-1226794844664

A police officer is recovering after being dragged 200 metres along a road by a car in central Townsville.

This poor copper is in hospital after being dragged 200 meters by this scumbag 23 year old. I wonder what what minor sentence the judge will hand down.

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2014, 07:00:17 PM »

these are 2 incidents at completely different ends of the scale...that 23 yr old needs the book thrown at him, and deserves whatever he gets or hopefully got from the cops that arrested him IMHO.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 09:41:41 PM by Rumpig »
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline dazzler

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Power Power Power
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2014, 07:22:04 PM »

It's a pity that the police couldn't spend more of their hours chasing miscreants down rather than writing frivolous warnings and fines, but I guess that activity is difficult and revenue negative.  Many members of the  constabulary and their superiors show little interest in activities that create work, like property crime or antisocial behavior,  but seem to have a keen interest in those that generate favourable "crime stats" and revenue with minimal work:  look, we caught all these drivers who did not stop for the required three seconds at the stop sign, or didn't put on their seatbelt to move their car from second in line to the next available fuel bowser on the servo forecourt!  (a big "attaboy, way to go!" to the hard working and productive police in Toowoomba QLD)   :cheers:

Just remembered why I steer clear of the general discussion threads.  General ignorance is more like it.

You have to STOP before the line at a stop sign.  No 3 seconds, simply stop.

The forecourt of service station is private property, unless it is a named road or road related area.  The purpose once you are in there is not for use as a road but for business. 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
My alternative to cheap import trailers;

http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=36094.msg578367#msg578367

Offline t303

• Swag User
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2014, 09:38:17 PM »
Just remembered why I steer clear of the general discussion threads.  General ignorance is more like it.

You have to STOP before the line at a stop sign.  No 3 seconds, simply stop.

The forecourt of service station is private property, unless it is a named road or road related area.  The purpose once you are in there is not for use as a road but for business. 

According to the issuing orifices:
Three seconds is the time determined to allow a driver to recognize an impending threat  and servo forecourt is public access and therefore you are required to be belted in a vehicle moving forward.
I agree with you,  but I guess they work on the principle that most will not go to court over the ticket.  It's abuse of power and the law, but these fine gentlemen are staking out service stations and stop signs in unmarked cars (so deterrence is NOT their aim) and issuing infringements.
It's hypocrisy to stand up and cry hard done by when this sort of behavior continues.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 09:47:19 PM by t303 »

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2014, 09:22:31 AM »
Again today, this is probably why they have a no bullsh!t attitude...

Six injured in explosion at Melbourne flat
http://www.news.com.au/national/breaking-news/officers-critical-after-melbourne-blast/story-e6frfku9-1226795101450

As firefighters and police entered the second-floor flat there was a large explosion.

Three police officers were seriously injured and were taken to The Alfred Hospital.

Two female officers, including one suffering burns to 90 per cent of her body, remain in a critical but stable condition.

A male officer is in a serious but stable condition.

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2014, 11:32:57 AM »
Quote from: D4D
Again today, this is probably why they have a no bullsh!t attitude...
Your right there.. they'll have an extra 60 speed cameras out today
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2014, 12:04:09 PM »
As I said above, there's always more to the story than what first appears.

"The officer acted quite appropriately and within the law. I would hope that the public would recognise that the officer did use discretion."

I agree the copper did his duty without fear or favour and that's to apply the Law as it stands. However this window law is an anachronous and typical nanny-state law among so many others.