Author Topic: Any One Camped At Emu Creek Station - Far North Qld (Nr Dinbulah)  (Read 27913 times)

Offline baz1

• Tent User
Just wondering if anyone has ever camped at Emu Creek Station in FNQ? There is no advertising and so no photo's on the Net, so just wondering if anyone would recommend it?

With so little known about it surely it must be 'Bogan free?!'

Offline MrCruza

• Hard Floor Camper User
Re: Any One Camped At Emu Creek Station - Far North Qld (Nr Dinbulah)
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2013, 12:16:47 PM »
Bit of info Here
Cheers, John.

'12 Cruiser
2020 NextGen Blackline

Offline sol

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2013, 01:31:40 PM »
baz1
We camped there about 2years ago. You camp beside the creek in some areas. Not sure how much water would be in the creek at the moment. Drop toilets, byo drinking water. I have their phone number somewhere here if you want it.

:cheers:
Make everyday count!!!
2015 Holden Colorado 7
New Age Manta Ray 16'6 Deluxe

Offline Goshen

• Swag User
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2013, 02:18:41 PM »
We've been there several  times - once at Easter and it was crowded as which we didn't enjoy but the kids had a good time.

On another occasion we were the only ones there and it was excellent - the creek had plenty of clean running water for swimming and kayaking  and the weather was  great.

Its a good place but I would be wary of a long weekend or school holiday if you don't like crowds.

Cheers

Offline baz1

• Tent User
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2013, 02:28:35 PM »
Sol the number wold be great - thanks.

It's funny but I though hardly anyone knew about it so it would be safe on the long weekends, it's seems no where's safe!

Offline sol

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2013, 06:04:23 PM »
 I found it ;D
The number is. 0740948313.
Good luck mate.

Make everyday count!!!
2015 Holden Colorado 7

Offline Bill

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2013, 06:43:52 AM »
Been there a time or two as well.
As was already mentioned it is nice but it can get very crowded during school holidays...
Bill
"The problem with the world is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"
-unknown

Offline baz1

• Tent User
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2013, 08:51:50 AM »
Do you guys know any similar camping area around Cairns where you don't get the crowds?

Offline rockman

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Live ... then don't
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2013, 09:44:04 AM »
Do you guys know any similar camping area around Cairns where you don't get the crowds?

When you find one ... let me know ....lol

Offline Sawed-Off

• Tent User
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2013, 09:55:09 AM »
What period?

Some friends and I are headed to the Lions Den for Easter. They may get a few over the weekend, but for the rest of the school holidays should be fairly empty. There's also Home Rule at Rossville. Depending on if you want to go offroad or not, you can go up the Bloomfield Track or up the inland highway. We'll be going up on Thursday, and to the Roaring Meg Falls on Good Friday. You'd be more than welcome to join us.
Matt.

Rootin', Tootin', & Shootin'. It's the Cowboy Way.

'97 HZJ80R Land Cruiser Dual Cab
'05 Tambo "The Cooper" : Nights used - 2015: 13  2014: 34  2013: 36  2012: 31

Offline sol

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2013, 11:15:21 AM »
Is it still possible to camp on the Mitchell River near Mt Carbine?
We camped there a few years ago, but heard recently it was closed to camping.

Make everyday count!!!
2015 Holden Colorado 7

Offline rockman

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Live ... then don't
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2013, 12:29:21 PM »
You do gave to book to go to the Mitchell ( Cooktown Crossing ).
$30 per night per vehicle and he does come around and will kick you off if not booked .
Besides that he is a nice bloke .

Cheers

Offline duggie

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Dont you just love it.
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2013, 07:23:00 AM »
Anywhere around the Petford , Irvinebank, Dimbula area is packed over the Easter holidays. And I do mean anywhere, every track ( no matter how rough it is )  that leads of the road towards water will have several families there enjoying the bush camping. Most other times it is not too bad .

cheers duggie
" Old Nissans Just Keep On Truckin On "

Offline Matto

• Don't Follow Me - I Won't Make It
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2013, 09:02:17 AM »
Baz,

We're heading back to Boonmoo stn for Easter. What I like about it is that you can book a campsite, and that spot is yours. The nearest campsite is about 100m away, at a minimum. You can get there when you want, and you get your patch all to yourself - no fighting over the good spots, etc. There can be quite a few people there, but you rarely see anyone else. It's my pick of places for sometime like Easter. Plus, Grant and Laurelle are nice people.

It's just past Dimbula. There's a bunch of photos on here in the trips section if you wanted to have a look.

Sawed-off - we were going to go to Lions Den ourselves! Have a great weekend there, it's a perfect spot down by the river.

+1 for Home Rule too, love that place.

Cheers,
Matto :)
"I have a bunch of junk that is not any better than yours." - MoGas - ExPo member #226.

Offline baz1

• Tent User
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2013, 06:10:58 PM »
Thanks for all the replies guys, is there much water in the river at Boonmoo?

Offline Matto

• Don't Follow Me - I Won't Make It
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2013, 09:39:43 PM »
Thanks for all the replies guys, is there much water in the river at Boonmoo?

I wouldn't think so at the moment. When J spoke to Laurelle, she mentioned it was very, very dry there atm. Last time there was more than enough to swim in, we'll see what it's like this time.

Cheers,
Matto :)
"I have a bunch of junk that is not any better than yours." - MoGas - ExPo member #226.

Offline barraboy

• Tent User
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2013, 11:07:05 AM »
Just wondering if anyone could inform me who you contact to book a camping spot at Cooktown crossing. Rockman has mentioned that it is $30 per night. Thanks

Offline Gottaroam

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2013, 09:34:03 PM »
You do gave to book to go to the Mitchell ( Cooktown Crossing ).
$30 per night per vehicle and he does come around and will kick you off if not booked .
Besides that he is a nice bloke .

Cheers

Nobody needs to book to camp at Cooktown Crossing on the Mitchell River. There is a bloke that hangs around there harrassing campers - telling them they can't have dogs there and that they have to leave - I am dumbfounded that he is now asking for money.

Hubby and I camped there just 2 weeks ago, there were plenty of other campers, he was on the other side when we left with his truck with the old caravan tied down on the back.

He has nothing to do with the Brooklyn's Wildlife Sanctuary (which is why the fencing is there.) Or Kondaparinga Station which the Cooktown Crossing is a part of.

The camping if FREE and it is illegal for him to be charging money if that is what he is doing.

A couple of years ago this bloke told my husband and son they couldn't camp there as they had a quad and a dog (puppy) - he had no ranger's shirt or any other id to show that he had any authority. Hubby told him so and told him basically where to go. Others that were camping there had already had dealings with him. Some other people we know had a similar experience with him.

Unless someone can prove to you they represent an authority and that they have paperwork etc for you to fill in then you do not have to pay - simple.

Offline rockman

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Live ... then don't
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2013, 09:35:29 PM »
Nobody needs to book to camp at Cooktown Crossing on the Mitchell River. There is a bloke that hangs around there harrassing campers - telling them they can't have dogs there and that they have to leave - I am dumbfounded that he is now asking for money.

Hubby and I camped there just 2 weeks ago, there were plenty of other campers, he was on the other side when we left with his truck with the old caravan tied down on the back.

He has nothing to do with the Brooklyn's Wildlife Sanctuary (which is why the fencing is there.) Or Kondaparinga Station which the Cooktown Crossing is a part of.

The camping if FREE and it is illegal for him to be charging money if that is what he is doing.

A couple of years ago this bloke told my husband and son they couldn't camp there as they had a quad and a dog (puppy) - he had no ranger's shirt or any other id to show that he had any authority. Hubby told him so and told him basically where to go. Others that were camping there had already had dealings with him. Some other people we know had a similar experience with him.

Unless someone can prove to you they represent an authority and that they have paperwork etc for you to fill in then you do not have to pay - simple.

Best you tell that to the owner of Curramore Station then .....

Offline Gottaroam

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2013, 10:01:07 PM »
May need to clarify here - is this the Old Cooktown Crossing at the cement causeway? If so then it is on Kondaparinga Station not Curramore Station.

Curramore Station is just before OCC coming in from the Highway toward Hurricane Station and there are signs up saying No Camping.

Offline rockman

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Live ... then don't
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2013, 10:04:00 PM »
May need to clarify here - is this the Old Cooktown Crossing at the cement causeway? If so then it is on Kondaparinga Station not Curramore Station.

Curramore Station is just before OCC coming in from the Highway toward Hurricane Station and there are signs up saying No Camping.

Kondaparinga is about 50 meters over the concrete causeway... though the gate
There is / was signs there when we where last there
The owner is a nice bloke , just sick of the Shit that people where doing to his property .

Offline Gottaroam

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2013, 08:35:59 PM »
Kondaparinga actually goes all the way to the causeway, the gate is still on the station. Kinda parings is owned and run by the aboriginals. Not sure who the bloke is you are talking about Rockman but I was just trying to point out as. I read in earlier posts on here that you do not need to book or pay to camp at the camping area at the causeway. The man who has the truck with a caravan on it is charging people illegally to camp there if it is him doing the collecting.

Offline rockman

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Live ... then don't
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2013, 09:06:01 PM »
Kondaparinga actually goes all the way to the causeway, the gate is still on the station. Kinda parings is owned and run by the aboriginals. Not sure who the bloke is you are talking about Rockman but I was just trying to point out as. I read in earlier posts on here that you do not need to book or pay to camp at the camping area at the causeway. The man who has the truck with a caravan on it is charging people illegally to camp there if it is him doing the collecting.

The guy that you must contact is the owner of Connmurra Station , he owns where most of the camping spots are , they are on his land .
The piece of crap that camps on the side of the river is just some scum that trys to fleece money out of anyone that stops there and believes his bullShit .

Offline Gottaroam

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2013, 06:55:06 AM »
Ok so tell me why are there no signs at the causeway saying you are not allowed to camp there without booking? Nowhere to fill in forms or put the money in to pay for the camping site? We have camped there for many years - over 25 and have never known anyone to book a site or pay.

Offline rockman

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Live ... then don't
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2013, 08:11:21 AM »
Ok so tell me why are there no signs at the causeway saying you are not allowed to camp there without booking? Nowhere to fill in forms or put the money in to pay for the camping site? We have camped there for many years - over 25 and have never known anyone to book a site or pay.

Goingtoroam .... you may camp where-ever you like , you have been doing it over 25 years , why stop now , nothing changes and the rules dont seem to apply to you ... do you honestly think you are camping on no-ones property , someone owns it , Curraghmore Pastrol Company , what would you think if I rocked up and setup camp on your footpath ( that you don't own by the way ) broke down your fence ( because there is no sign saying I can't ) started a fire on your front lawn , crapped in your yard , let my dogs loose , teared up your lawn with my quad , whats the difference sweetheart ???

for the rest of you .... Brooklyn Station ownes to the gate which is approx 100 meters south of the concrete crossing , they are a wildlife sanctuary controled by an oversea's intrest and they will not let you camp on their property .

Kondapringa is owed by the aboriginals , it is further down the track and they will not let you camp on their proerty .

Curraghmore Pastrol Company ownes up the gate , which is across the concrete causeway . Their contact number is 40948293 if you wish to contact them regarding camping and for goingtoroam , you may contact them to verify what land they own ... lol
Goingtoroam , I can chase up an old copy for you if you want ...

The guy that camps at the northern side of the crossing has nothing to do with anything , he is nothing more then a squatter that fleeces money off people that camp on the river . Do not pay him for anything , tell him you are going to stop in at the Mount Molly police station as they are aware of him , as they have kicked him out of the parking area at Mount Molloy after numerous complaints .

The owner of Curraghmore is a nice bloke . The station was owned by his father-in-law who was a hermit ,that is why you have never seen anyone to control it ,  he was killed a couple of years back and the son-in-law has taken over the property . He is just sick and tired and people leaving crap everywhere , damaging fences , chasing his cows , that is why he has started charging people to camp there , so he knows who is on his property .
 When I spoke to him , he said that he just takes down the rego and hands it straight to the police / stock squad . He is sick of people just turning up because they may have camped there 25 years ago with their dogs and their quads , times change , get with the times .

You can drive through there from Mt Mulligan as it is a gazetted road , but you cannot stop or leave the road as this is considered trespassing .