Author Topic: Is there a suitable alternative to the Hawk for our needs?  (Read 1665 times)

Offline DaveR

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Grumpy Old Man in Training
Is there a suitable alternative to the Hawk for our needs?
« on: February 27, 2013, 09:42:28 AM »
Hi All
New guy here, have been reading helpful posts here for a long time now.

I was advised on another site to ask the following here on this site, so here goes.

With the checking and test runs in different Hired Campers, I have concluded that a Jayco Hawk is what would suit our needs best.
We are a family of 5, with 3 young kids, 2 who are still of an age where they need constant supervision, that leaves yours truly to do ALL the set ups etc.
Therefore, this must be easy task in respect to time taken to have the set up done.
The reasons why the Hawk is on the list is:
Kitchen at 1 end.
Beds roll out, no mattresses to inflate or bed frames to unpack. My first try with an Eagle took 15 mins with the 3 x awnings as well.
Reasonable secure weather proof space within for evenings or bad weather etc.
Cost is affordable, I get a lot for the sum spent.

Down side
No kitchen access whilst on the move, stopping for lunch etc.
The trouble I must go through to make it dust proof (ish).

The no kitchen without almost setting it all up is a thing which I’d like to improve on.

So my question for everyone is, what Alternatives are there?

I am aware of a CUB with double and 2 x single beds which is suitable. I’m looking for additional alternatives I am not finding.

The budget covers a few I find on the web now 2nd hand with annox and the 3 other covers etc.

I’m very much looking forward to learning of an alternative, or am I pushing it up a hill?

Thanks
Dave
2001 HDJ-100, a flash one
2013 Expanda OB

KingBilly

Re: Is there a suitable alternative to the Hawk for our needs?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 09:51:01 AM »
Firstly, welcome to the forum Dave.

Down side
No kitchen access whilst on the move, stopping for lunch etc.
The trouble I must go through to make it dust proof (ish).

The no kitchen without almost setting it all up is a thing which I’d like to improve on.

Maybe you need access to the kitchen for different reasons than we would.  What we do for lunches is use a thermos (boil the billy at breakfast) and pack lunches before we head off each morning.  We can get to our fridge in the back of the tug easily and don't need to get to the kitchen.  Just a thought.

Happy camping
KB

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 10:05:52 AM »
Welcome to the board.

I think there is an increase in people searching for the *perfect* camper for them in a generic manufacturing world.
It may not exist.

Lot of the time its give a take.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 10:53:08 AM by Lost »
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline MDSimpson

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • 2007 Jayco Flamingo Outback follows the 2008 Prado
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 10:47:09 AM »
We have a larger Hawk, the Flamingo, same layout but bigger.
We typically plan ahead. We have a fridge in the car, and a fold down table on the back door. So with a small butane stove, we can cook a small BBQ or simply have sandwiches on the run.
It is a little bit more expense, but with the kids, I do not think you can go passed a Jayco popup as they have the room, but are smaller to tow and cheaper to buy than an Expanda or next size up.. Having the hard surfaces inside the camper make it for my family, so the kitchen bench space along with seating room is perfect.

IMHO, think about the alternatives of on the road feeding more than different campers, like LOST said, everything is a compromise...
2007 Jayco Flamingo Outback follows the 2008 D4D Prado. Lets get out there...

Offline HEM19X

• Hard Top Camper User
  • If I agree with you, then we would both be wrong!
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2013, 01:20:47 PM »

With the checking and test runs in different Hired Campers, I have concluded that a Jayco Hawk is what would suit our needs best.
We are a family of 5, with 3 young kids, 2 who are still of an age where they need constant supervision, that leaves yours truly to do ALL the set ups etc.

Dave, I have seen couples that have numerous small kids...What they do is, leave the kids strapped in the car while they erect a screened pergola [i guess you call it]. Once done, in go the kids with toys etc, doors are zipped and the CT is then set up by mom & dad. The enclosure keeps the kids dry and free from mozzies etc & can then be used for meals etc.

That said, the Hawk is a great option.

Hem

p.s. MODCON have a Quatro that has a queen plus 2 single beds but might be out of your price range but it does have a swing out kitchen.
2019 BT50 with custom canopy and lots of fruit. Towing a 2014 Lotus Freelander [welcome to the dark side]

Offline DaveR

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Grumpy Old Man in Training
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2013, 02:18:54 PM »
I like the Modcon method, very interesting, can get 3 x munchkins in the back easy I think.

The cost as you suggest is something else.

I shall have a look at the Brissy show for an enclosure you mention.
Cheers
2001 HDJ-100, a flash one
2013 Expanda OB