Author Topic: MDC Camper Trailer OR Emu Camper Trailer - Advice Please!  (Read 31015 times)

Offline baz1

• Tent User
MDC Camper Trailer OR Emu Camper Trailer - Advice Please!
« on: September 24, 2012, 06:52:30 PM »
Hi There,

I would really appreciate some advice, we want to buy a camper trailer, and after lots of research I have identified two possibilities.

The first is the cheaper option, it's the Market Direct Campers "Off road deluxe V2 Camper Trailer," see : www.marketdirectcampertrailers.com.au/products/camper-trailer-models/off-road-deluxe-v2

It's $6200 including delivery to Cairns and the spreader bars which we would need. Its supposedly off road but I suspect it's more likely a semi off road trailer. On the plus side it seems to have all the bells and whistles, I can't find another camper trailer at this price which offers as much at the MDC trailer. On the negative side I have to wonder about the quality. I have seen the MDC base model trailer, which is the "Semi off road V3" camper trailer 'in the 'flesh,' and I noticed that whilst it would do the job, it looked a bit 'cheap,' and some of the bits and pieces would fall off it quite quickly. But then you get what you pay for.

The other option is an 'Emu' semi off road camper trailer, see : www.mycampertrailer.com.au/semi-off-road-camper-trailer-package/134-emu-suv-roader-camper-trailer.html . The positives is that it seems to be really good quality, it's Ozzie made, and the sales service from My Camper Trailer is really good, the trailer will go on corrugated / dirt roads which is all we need, the tent has gas struts in it to help erect it, a tropical sun fly to keep the heat out of the tent, a nice kitchen and so on. So if I get this trailer, and add on a stone guard, cost of a years rego, an upgrade to the twelve foot tent, a tool box on the front, and delivery to Cairns, it comes in at $8400.

So bottom line is the Emu camper trailer is $2200 more expensive than the MDC trailer.

Bearing in mind I am a complete novice, I am useless at DIY and fixing things if the trailer starts falling to pieces, can anyone give me some advice as to which trailer to buy? I have researched MDC trailers and the reviews seem quite mixed, I have searched for reviews on Emu camper trailer but can't find any, does anyone know anything about them, and what the quality of the trailer and tent is like?

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Cheers - Baz

Offline Hutch

• Swag User
MDC Camper Trailer OR Emu Camper Trailer - Advice Please!
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2012, 07:15:14 PM »
Emu, sounds like it is a bit better value, I am the same as u and if I ever buy a camper it will be about the same budget, I have found another one recently called www.leisurematters.com.au it looks good value and the chassis rails look like one piece.

Hutch- 2012 Prado 150, some TJM Kit.
Hutch-2012 Prado V6 with some TJM kit - looking for a CT to drag behind.

Offline Nomad

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: MDC Camper Trailer OR Emu Camper Trailer - Advice Please!
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2012, 07:52:45 PM »
The leisure matters and mdc trailers are out of the same chinese factory and assembled in Australia. I just sold my MDC. Whilst there was nothing inherently wrong with it. It was a piece of Shit.

The emu looks ok. I have just bought an offroad nathan trailer to cart Shit around in. It is galvanised and powder coated and built like it would carry ten tonne of bricks. Its so good I am think about turning it into a CT.

So for my money the emu looks better, but I had a squiz around their site and looking at the offroad model it doesn't have brakes so you might wan't to have a squiz at that side of it a bit closer. Emu seems to have less bells and whistles but better quality.

Good luck with what ever you buy and remember searching for it and buying it is (almost) the funnest bit.

Cheers Nomad.

:cheers:

Offline UR-50-LO

• Tent User
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 07:54:36 PM »
I had the Offroad V2 and found it to be a great introduction to trailer camping and have since upgraded to a T-box V3 from the same company. There is a few flimsy pieces on the offroad V2 though such as the rear chequer plate section under the tailgate that bends easy especially when you forget to lower the stabiliser legs and jump inside lol, and the jerry/gas holders were eventually damaged on mine from wear and tear. Originally I'd of swore by the offroad V2 camper but once you look at getting serious (adding brakes, modifying the kitchen, larger toolbox, adding storage lockers, power etc etc) it really is worth spending the extra money for a bigger, better trailer upfront.....Thats how my recent purchase came about as I figured it would be cheaper for me to just sell mine and buy a new one with those things already installed, hence my upgrade. I have to admit though I am extremely lucky that I didn't lose money on my first purchase!!!

I have no experience with the Emu but the Leisure matters that I looked at were pretty bad quality. I went to their factory here in Sydney with a friend who was looking for a camper and ended up advising him against it as the welds were done in small sections and not continuous. There was alot of loose nuts and bolts (not really a big deal), the odd screw hole from their optional list, ya get the options all good, ya don't and ya have drilled holes to fill lol and the tents looked like a nightmare to set up. Lots of room but alot of poles to erect it. And the drawbars were bolted on the same as MDC too...
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 08:46:37 AM by UR-50-LO »

Offline baz1

• Tent User
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2012, 09:30:37 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys, I think based on everyone's comments and another search on this forum about MDC campers I think we are better spending a bit more money, but only spending it once if you know what I mean.

But here's a question, if I can't find any reviews on Emu, and no one here can vouch for them (or otherwise), how do I know I'm buying a good quality trailer for my extra hard earned cash? Anyone have any suggestions? There are two videos on the site which I have provided the link to, one is a video of the trailer, one is a video of the tent, can you judge the quality from a video?

Thanks for the help, I am a newbie to all this, to be honest i couldn't tell a good quality trailer from a trailer that had been in a car wreck. If we are spending 8K of our hard earned cash we want something which is going to be reasonable quality and will last if not thrashed and looked after.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 09:32:15 PM by baz1 »

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2012, 09:39:06 PM »
if your budget is $8500 dont discount used trailers.. theres some bargains to be had

$7500 get you a Lifestyle
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/180975683407

-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline McGirr

• Cape York Tour Guide
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2012, 09:44:39 PM »
As mentioned look at second hand models. There are always ones coming up in Cairns. If you need help and advice let me know more than happy to help you out.

Mark
Living the dream working our way around Australia.

Ernabella SA, Warburton WA, Mt Barnett Roadhouse in the Kimberley, Peppimenarti NT, Ramingining NT, Gapuwiyak NT, Gunbalanya NT, Bidyadanga WA, Ali Curung NT, Tjuntjuntjara WA. 18 places

https://www.facebook.com/Working-and-Traveling-Australia

Offline baz1

• Tent User
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2012, 10:21:34 PM »
I have looked at second hand camper trailers, but up here in Cairns you could buy a new trailer for what they are asking for a second hand trailer. I think because there are not any camper trailer retailers up here, your only option is to buy unseen from Brisbane / Sydney / wherever, and you then have to pay at least $900 delivery costs. As you guys mentioned the other alternitive is to buy second hand. Therefore there is quite a demand for second hand trailers, as you get to see them before you buy, and you don't have to pay delivery costs.

I have spent quite a bit of time, over a long period of time looking at the second hand market up here, what does come up is over priced and often in poor condition. For example I saw a second MDC trailer advertised for more than the cost of the new version of the same model, and it sold quickly!

The second hand market is probably more of a buyers market in the cities because of access to retailers selling trailers.

Therefore under the circumstance I figure it is better to buy a new trailer, I'm happy with the price of the Emu trailer for what we get with it, I just need to figure out if its good quality.

Offline Nomad

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2012, 10:36:27 PM »
The MDC I had, i paid $4650.Probably spent 1k and sold for $6700 and kept my batteries and battery boxes and charger.

So you can keep your coin on them after a few years use.

Im looking at two at the moment, one from here and another in Brisbane, but you have to be careful and not hand of the readies before you have looked at them.

I would go do the full inspection on the emu and have a mate with welding or mechanical interest look at it. You could get a mechanic / racq guy etc to have a look as a preliminary.

Regards

Offline Camping Grant

• The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new lands but seeing with new eyes
  • Soft Floor Camper User
  • Such Is Life
    • Grant & Kerryn's Camping Adventures
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2012, 06:08:10 AM »
Have you looked at Castle Campers...http://castlecampers.com.au/.

I'm not affiliated with them at all, just my Cousin has one and it's a fairly nice bit of kit. The trailers are also made by Nathan Trailers.

Cheers
Grant

Offline GeeTee

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • GT Campers premium off-road trailers and Toyota Hilux Expedition conversions
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2012, 08:17:54 AM »
I have looked at second hand camper trailers, but up here in Cairns you could buy a new trailer for what they are asking for a second hand trailer. I think because there are not any camper trailer retailers up here, your only option is to buy unseen from Brisbane / Sydney / wherever, and you then have to pay at least $900 delivery costs. As you guys mentioned the other alternitive is to buy second hand. Therefore there is quite a demand for second hand trailers, as you get to see them before you buy, and you don't have to pay delivery costs.

I have spent quite a bit of time, over a long period of time looking at the second hand market up here, what does come up is over priced and often in poor condition. For example I saw a second MDC trailer advertised for more than the cost of the new version of the same model, and it sold quickly!

The second hand market is probably more of a buyers market in the cities because of access to retailers selling trailers.

Therefore under the circumstance I figure it is better to buy a new trailer, I'm happy with the price of the Emu trailer for what we get with it, I just need to figure out if its good quality.

Baz I feel for you and the "retail isolation" that you suffer in an area such as Cairns, it must be frustrating not having much choice when you want to buy something biggish like a car, trailer or furniture.
One advantage with buying second-hand in this trailer market is that you are (usually) buying something of better initial build quality than the rash of imports and 'price point' trailers that have flooded the market in recent years. I am sure you will understand that if a manufacturer pulls price out of a product - especially something as fundamentally and technically simple as a trailer - then construction quality is usually the first thing to suffer... there is little else to cut corners on!

Can you fly south for a look-see weekend?

« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 08:25:42 AM by GeeTee »

GT Campers: Off-road touring trailer or Toyota Hilux Expedition
Purpose-designed and built off-road touring vehicles. Innovation not imitation!
Find us on Facebook

Offline baz1

• Tent User
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2012, 08:19:22 AM »
Have you looked at Castle Campers...http://castlecampers.com.au/.

I'm not affiliated with them at all, just my Cousin has one and it's a fairly nice bit of kit. The trailers are also made by Nathan Trailers.

Cheers
Grant

Thanks, I had a look at the Castle Camper and it looks nice, and around the same price as the Emu Camper, though I think you get a few more bells and whistles with the Emu Camper, for example the sunfly on the top of the tent, the gas struts in the tent to help it go up easily, and a slightly better kitchen.

I'm starting to wonder if when you get to the 7-8K price range they seem to be fairly standard in terms of what you can expect.

Interesting suggestion about getting someone from the RACQ to have a look at the Emu trailer, I never thought of that.

On another note I was up the Cape York Peninsula last week with work, in Weipa, and I saw one of the Cape York Campers, which you can purchase for an affordable 40K! That's the price of a new X-Trail!

Offline baz1

• Tent User
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2012, 08:24:59 AM »
Baz I feel for you and the "retail isolation" that you suffer in an area such as Cairns, it must be frustrating not having much choice when you want to buy soemthing like a car, trailer or furniture.
One advantage with buying second-hand is that you are (usually) buying something of better initial build quality than the rash of imports and 'price point' trailers that have flooded the market in recent years.

Can you fly south for a look-see weekend?

Would like to mate, but a trip south would just eat into our camper trailer budget!

We can get most main stream items up here and have a fair amount of choice, cars for example are not a problem, but anything not so mainstream and you have much less choice, if any (as with the case of camper trailers). Then you also have to add $900 to get your trailer from Brisbane to Cairns, more like $1200 if its Sydney, and of course this is money which would be better spent on your trailer. I bore this in mind when looking at second hand trailers, but to be honest what I have seen for sale second hand was in poor condition, and over priced. Maybe it's different in the cities down south as there is more competition.

On the other hand, while Cairns might be an expensive place to live with less choice its a pretty nice place to live  :D

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2012, 10:07:01 AM »
Don't forget Swaggers Inspections  ;D. Many people have bought interstate or distance and had other Swaggers inspect, take 100's of photos and make sure things are what they seem, before flying down and buying.  Some even buy sight unseen, but personally I wouldn't.

Take your time, dont rush, and if you wait a bit more you may stumble apon that bargain.. You sound like you've done plenty of thinking on this!

But GeeTee makes some really good points.

The transport bit is expensive, but could be worth dishing out the $900 to get a $3000 better trailer... Then again I paid $300 qld to Vic... Someones makin a lot of coin there!!!
I just hate people buying things that they could do much better on..

Anyway, enjoy whatever you get and remember to post photos :)
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline asmithaxe

• Swag User
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2012, 10:41:11 AM »
I might have missed it, but I can't see where you have stated what your requirements are, other than $$$.

- Do you have 6 kids, or just you and the missus? 
- Are you looking to weekend at caravan parks, or conquer the Telegraph Track on the way to the tip?
- What sort of tow vehicle do you currently/will  have?

If you are on the lighter side, then by all means look at cheaper trailers.  But if you want to do some serious off-road, you really should consider waiting until you find a good second hand trailer, like a Track About, etc.  (NOTE: no affiliation, in fact I just bought a Vacation Camper, but noone ever seems to sell them cheaply).

We want to do the Telegraph Track and travel to remote locations.  I had a good look at the MDC trailers at the Mackay show recently, and to be honest, I wouldn't choose that as the platform for what we want.  Not to say people haven't, just that I prefer to minimise my risk when away from civilisation.

I suggest you keep your wallet in your pocket until you have figured out what kind of travel/camping you want to use the trailer for.

Offline Trex_s4m1

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • need more toys! :D
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2012, 12:00:13 PM »
Austrack do trailers and tents and are down at Hervey Bay..
their trailers are aussie made but the tents are chinese built to aussie specs. i just ordered a 12' adventurer tent unseen. their customer service is great.

re: not being handy. no reason not to start learning :) hubs are easy to rebuild and repack bearings. if you can change a tyre you should be able to do the hubs. apart from that it would be maintenance stuff like that you need to worry about. if something breaks.. RACQ it if you need to and get the manufacturer to fix.
good luck on your search mate!

Offline baz1

• Tent User
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2012, 04:42:55 PM »
Thanks for all the advice guys, can I ask what "Swaggers Inspections" are? Are they a company you can pay to check the trailer out before you buy? I looked at the RACQ website and they do inspections, but they are really geared up to inspecting things with engines, and checking whether there is any credit outstanding on the vehicle and so on, rather than looking at trailers and tent quality.

We would be looking to use the trailer and tent for 'soft roading.' We have a Nissan X-Trail which would never survive any hard core off road stuff, and quite frankly with a new baby on the way I can't really see us doing anything like that in the next ten years. We would use it to go around dirt roads in national parks and so on, maybe a trip up the Cape in good weather sticking to the Peninsula Development Road and taking it easy, and off course Tarmac roads. So the EMU SUV seems pretty good for that, it describes itself as basically a 'soft Roader.' I like the fact they are not trying to sell it as something that it is not, i.e a serious off road trailer when it is not, which I get the impression MDC are trying to do with the "Off Road Deluxe V2" camper trailer. 

From what I have seen of the EMU SUV it looks great, can anyone tell me based on its specs, and the video of the trailer and tent whether it appears to be well put together and like a good quality trailer, or is this just something you can't identify from videos / photos / specs?

Offline baz1

• Tent User
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2012, 05:36:15 PM »
Grant I gave Castle Campers a call as their camper trailers looked quite nice from what I could see on the website, but apparently they are not making camper trailers any more, it would appear Nathan Trailers have gone into receivership.

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2012, 06:16:46 PM »
Quote from: baz1
Thanks for all the advice guys, can I ask what "Swaggers Inspections" are?
You post up saying your looking at a trailer, and need someone to go look at it.  Many people on the forum have inspected trailers for other buyers. its not a company, not legally binding, its just something that the good people round here do. They can take as many photos of every part to give you a better idea of it than the seller may do if they are hiding something...

Same as Swag Freight.. People need stuff taken round aussie, or delivered interstate, post up about it, and if anyone is going thru/by there it happens.. EG: Solar panels from melb to Cape york, tyres, awnings etc etc.

From what I have seen of the EMU SUV it looks great, can anyone tell me based on its specs, and the video of the trailer and tent whether it appears to be well put together and like a good quality trailer, or is this just something you can't identify from videos / photos / specs?
Since its a big investment, I'd *HIGHLY* recommend picking up in person, just to make sure your happy with it 100% and get what you pay for.

Remember if it isnt what you expect or the quality isnt right or anything - its $900 to ship it back for repairs, and $900 to get it home again.... Unless you get frequent freighters points ;)

If your happy with the Emu, then thats all that matters. I dont see anything wrong with it.

Just make sure of the towball weight.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline baz1

• Tent User
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2012, 07:11:34 PM »
Thanks for the reply, in that case is there anyone in the Gold Coast who would be prepared to drop by Emu Campers at 219 Brisbane Road, Biggers Waters, Gold Coast, to have a look at the Emu SUV Semie Off Roader?

If anyone happens to be int he area it would be appreciated, I really just need to know if it looks like a reasonably decent quality trailer and tent.

My other concern is having found out Nathan Trailers has gone into receivership, I did a bit of online detective work and established that Nathan Trailers supply to Emu Trailers. I have rang the sales rep who supplies for Emu and other trailer companies and he said its not an issue, but of course he would.... I obviously don't want to spend 8K on a trailer which I never get! Has anyone any experience of this?

Offline Joffa

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2012, 09:05:28 PM »
We are in the same predicament as baz1, in that we are in Cairns and on the subject of buying a camper trailer everything has to be done on phone or internet. Talk to some of the "brands" and ,yes they are "made" in Aust. But I am finding out that there is made in Aus & made in Aus. At least on some foods, they say made in Aus from local & imported products.

We were looking at the MDC Offroad stepthrough,allthough it ticks all the boxes on paper how do you check the build quality when you are not a structural engineer.

We have looked at a few other step through/walkup but, here again it is all on the internet.  The next chance up here would be the lifestyle show next June. But not the brands we are interested in. A couple of makes that appeal to us are the Jimboomba Jardine & Customline Deluxe offroad walkup.  Are there any Swaggers in the Cairns area who might have one of these and wouldn't mind showing them off.

The pre Xmas get together would be another avenue to look at CT's, once a venue has been decided on.

baz1, hope you don't mind me jumping in on your thread.

Joffa

Offline baz1

• Tent User
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2012, 10:37:39 PM »
No worries Joffa.

If you want to see a MDC camper go to the Smithfield Tavern in Smithfield (funnily enough), and they have the base model - Semi Off Road Traveller sitting out the front waiting to be won in a raffle. I had a look at it the other day, and though its the base model it gives you an indication of the quality you wold get should you buy the off road model.

Offline GeeTee

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • GT Campers premium off-road trailers and Toyota Hilux Expedition conversions
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2012, 09:21:05 AM »
Yes Joffa there is a grey area about what is "Made in Australia"

Joffa (and Baz - it is your thread!) nothing beats a personal inspection but it's often easy to see if a trailer is 'right' for its claimed role by looking at photos; things like: drawbar should be box section and extend a decent distance under the trailer 'box'; quality springs (hard to tell, I know, but slipper springs are NOT good enough); sufficent suspension travel between tyre and mudguards so there's no rubbing/bashing on bumps; brakes so the trailer doesn't move around when it is set-up (legally required on-road if the trailer is likely to exceed 750kg laden); all wiring should be supported, grommeted and shielded from stone strike damage (same for any water pipes). Heavy components (kitchen, water tank, spare tyre) are best supported directly by the chassis rather than brackets which can vibrate and eventually fatigue   

Tent design is more a matter of personal taste and kids etc requirements and is more difficult to see the quality from pics but keep these in mind: YKK self-healing zips are reliable; trailers that set-up to the left can be more easily used in caravan parks when required; big roof panels with not enough 'pitch' can often fill with rainwater
hope this helps

GT Campers: Off-road touring trailer or Toyota Hilux Expedition
Purpose-designed and built off-road touring vehicles. Innovation not imitation!
Find us on Facebook

Offline Joffa

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2012, 01:19:09 PM »
baz1
We were in Cairns yesterday, and following up on an ad in the Cairns Post went to place at 208 Draper St.
They sell & hire "Swag Camper Trailers"
He said they are made in Aus.   
Prices ranged from $7790 to & $9900 for soft floor C/T's.
Unfortunately they don't have the walk up style which we require.
Hope this helps you

joffa

Offline asmithaxe

• Swag User
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2012, 01:42:52 PM »
Joffa,

What is your price range?  Camel make a walkthrough, and they have a rep in Townsville: Croc Campers.

Cheers,
Aaron.