Author Topic: boots  (Read 4920 times)

Offline andrew mcdonald

• Learning the Ropes
boots
« on: March 25, 2018, 09:23:07 AM »
gday all just read rossi no longer make their mulga hiking boots...thats a bugga all i ever used..any suggestions on other brands<< do heaps of hiking when camping sogotta be pretty good    cheers andrew..

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
Re: boots
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2018, 10:14:07 AM »
General around camp boots - Blundstone
'Proper' hiking boots - Scarpa (you must wear them in though)
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline discoteddy

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • If in doubt, grab a handful of 2nd gear.
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2018, 10:58:29 AM »
Scarpa all the way, Terra is a great entry level walking/hiking boot. These boots are awesome and no longer require “wearing in”, a term that old school hikers and infantryman used to be familiar with. Indeed I have worn two sets of boot in wet. This required soaking in water and wearing till they dry. With old technologies this ensured a comfortable boot after many hours of discomfort😡

As will all new hiking footwear  I would certainly do some moderate distances in them with approximately selected socks to check for pressure points. These boots will last a lifetime with correct care and maintenance.

Cheers

Disco teddy.
2015 Goldstream Storm lifted with Vehicle Components best!, 2021 Enter the D Max.

Offline Paddler Ed

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2018, 12:07:52 PM »
Depends on the shape of your foot...

My feet are quite narrow, so I actually struggle in Australia to find some that are the right shape - in the UK I could get a narrower Scarpa boot than I can here. My last pair of boots was a pair of Scarpa SL's that lasted 14 years, including a few years of being used as an outdoor guide.

Narrow to wide goes roughly:
Zamberlan
Asolo
Scarpa
Berghaus
Mammut (Old Raichle)
Meindl

Not 100% on where the Aussie brands fit - I use Blundstones as my everyday boot, and find them to be quite a big volume boot.

Most new boots need minimum wearing in (what wearing in is just to make sure they fit properly with hot/cold feet), I did a whole day walk in the Cradle Mountain area with my brand new Asolo boots... not something I'd recommend, but I knew that the boots fitted properly, so I wasn't too worried.

Offline rossm

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2018, 09:56:28 PM »
gday all just read rossi no longer make their mulga hiking boots...thats a bugga all i ever used..any suggestions don other brands<< do heaps of hiking when camping sogotta be pretty good    cheers andrew..

I have had Rossi for lots of tasks ... Work,my motorcycle, dress. Been very happy.

Have had some Redback for  hiking last few years. I like leather boots rather than   fabric and these have been good.

Offline bkim

• Tent User
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2018, 12:43:49 AM »
I"ve been wearing Scarpa boots since 1994, found them to be the only boots that stood up to all weather and ground conditions in the Himalayas, used to do research treks in remote areas (for possible future group treks) with people I know that run high altitude trekking trips in Nepal.

Regarding what Paddler Ed said about the width of the Scarpa boots, according to people I knew in the trekking and remote camping supply businesses, all Scarpa's brought into Australia were the BXX size which is the widest width boot, apparently Australians were noted for having wide feet, you were able to get the retailer to order narrower boots in from Italy if you had the time.

« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 01:05:44 AM by bkim »

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2018, 07:14:52 AM »
If you have proper wide feet like me you’ll find American (Canadian) brands like Keen are one of your few choices. I’ve tried a lot of euro wide fittings but most aren’t wide enough. Meindl and DrMartin make the grade width wise. Most of the guys I hunt with wear Meindl. Mud kills all of them quick enough though.

Offline trinityalyce

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Bulldust & Back Roads
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2018, 01:44:16 PM »
I have Scarpa boots. Scored practically new (suspect lightly worn once given their condition) at an op shop of all places, perfect fit, full leather for roughly $30. Don't mind if I do... They fit my orthotics beautifully, took a beating on our last trip crossing the Simpson, and came back looking basically new with a good clean.

My other go-to camping shoes for day-to-day are Converse low-cut Chucks (obviously not boots!). Comfy, easy, throw them in the washing machine if they get a bit grubby... but the character of them only grows with wear. James lives in Blundstone boots when we're camping.

I also do a bit of hiking in trail running shoes (also not boots!). Because I have them, they're super comfy, grippy enough, and I don't need the ankle support. I rate the Nike Terra Kiger shoes personally, at least the older model that I have!
Trinity (+ James + Mister Dog)
'04 TD42 GU Nissan Patrol Wagon + '06 TD42 GU Nissan Patrol Coil Cab Ute + '18 Ultimate Xplor GT Camper

www.bulldustandbackroads.com

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2018, 06:11:28 PM »
Size 15 Slatters Woomera for me !!!  Not much other choice......all the European brands don't do big sizes !!
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline Paddler Ed

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2018, 06:51:37 PM »
Size 15 Slatters Woomera for me !!!  Not much other choice......all the European brands don't do big sizes !!

They do - Meindl do up to a 15 in some styles... BUT the importer needs to bring them in, and the shops need to stock them...

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2018, 07:20:35 PM »
Oliver's  high sides lace ups  l have used Olivers for years to protect my mobility . Steel toes comfy to ware , hard waring  . Olivers walking boots  , no steel toes no zips but comfy . Olies are made in Ballarat Vic  by a local bloke .                                   :cup:                  :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline noel_w

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Welcoming Mexicans to SEQ since 2015
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2018, 07:44:42 PM »
Double pluggers all the way 😁😁😁😁😁
Seriously a great thread as I need to get some decent footwear soon. Just added to the database of things to buy.
TUG=GU ST 2012 Ute, CT = Modcon Imperial HF
We have to start thinking about what sort of a world we are going to leave for Keith Richards after we are all gone.

Offline gronk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2018, 08:10:46 PM »
They do - Meindl do up to a 15 in some styles... BUT the importer needs to bring them in, and the shops need to stock them...

I think you would have to be trekking up Mt Everest to justify the prices they charge.....but most European sizes are similar to USA sizes.....which is one or two sizes smaller than Australian sizes.
Even with the Slatters I just bought, the "aussie" size 14 ( which is my normal size ) was just too tight, so had to go a size 15 ( which is the biggest they make).
My "old" Propet's don't appear to be available anymore ?
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Charlie Brown

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2018, 08:44:28 PM »

Offline gronk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2018, 06:45:41 PM »
Shoe size charts

http://www.i18nguy.com/l10n/shoes.html

I don't know the author of that chart, but Aus and UK sizes are at least one FULL size different to USA sizes.
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline Cruiser 105Tvan

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Another Tvan owner.
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2018, 07:08:48 PM »
I don't know the author of that chart, but Aus and UK sizes are at least one FULL size different to USA sizes.
I have always understood that Australia used the British Standard for shoe and Boot sizes.
The USA have always been one size no. bigger compared to the Australian/British sizings.
Not sure about the Metric version of European sizing though.
ie. English 11 is USA 12
Which has badly confused everyone since the Yanks decided to FLOOD our country with their footwear.
Then the Chinese decided to get in on the act, and make it worse still.
Robert. 
VK3PPC, VZU641.
2000 FZJ105r bars,
HDJ105r Bars F&R, VRS Winch, ATZ. P3's, a cupla 2 ways as well.
and 2009 Canning Tvan pushing.

Offline gronk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2018, 07:58:23 PM »
One reason why I would never buy a shoe without trying it on.  Bought from USA a few yrs ago, I have a size 16 trainer that was JUST big enough. Tried a few others in 16 and they were too small. Had my feet measured only 3 mths ago and they are still size 14.

I know of one place in Sydney that sells big sizes....at a price premium compared to "normal" shoe shops, but that's the bummer of having big feet.
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline Cruiser 105Tvan

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Another Tvan owner.
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2018, 08:16:16 PM »
An explanation of the origins of shoe sizing.

http://www.internationalshoesizes.com/

It's amazing what they used as the basic standard unit.
Robert. 
VK3PPC, VZU641.
2000 FZJ105r bars,
HDJ105r Bars F&R, VRS Winch, ATZ. P3's, a cupla 2 ways as well.
and 2009 Canning Tvan pushing.

Offline andrew mcdonald

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2018, 10:01:02 PM »
Gday thanks for advice and thoughts never guessed there so many boot types having found a boot maker in laura [didn't know they still existed] they can resole my mulgas so gunna give that shot see how they go..thanks again ..cheers andrew

Offline Rip it up

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2018, 06:21:56 AM »
I’ve had a pair of Solomon hiking boots since 2011. Absolute comfort for me for days of hiking when travelling.
So comfortable I wear them casually, and as a dress boot. I would wear them to work if they had steel caps.

Salomon Cosmic 4D Gtx Men's Boots.

Paid about $250 for them.

I like them because they feel lighter than the leather work boot styles. Have a great supportive feel to them. The soul is stable and the lace up style allows a good tight fitting.

I liked them so much I bought the low running style for those street style hikes around foreign country’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk