Author Topic: Fold up bikes  (Read 3949 times)

Offline Annieandandy

• Soft Floor Camper User
Fold up bikes
« on: February 23, 2018, 06:02:56 PM »
Hi all,

My sister wants a fold up bike and has asked me to find one for her. I have zero idea about them. Is there anything I should be making sure it does or doesn't have? Any brands to look at or stay away from? Do they all fold up pretty much the same?

Cheers Andy

Offline Ben.Archer

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: Fold up bikes
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2018, 08:41:58 PM »
The first question is how much do you want to spend, then what features are you looking for? 

I would be looking for the belt driven ones as no oily chain, but you also need to see how small they pack, how well they pack, how easy to pack, do they come with a bag, do you want an e-bike, what material - ie. stainless for use on a boat?
2015 Land Rover Discovery 4
2000 90 Series Toyota Prado RV6
2013 MDC Off Road Step-Through V3 - Heavily modded and I am only just starting :-)

Offline Annieandandy

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2018, 07:01:30 AM »
The first question is how much do you want to spend, then what features are you looking for? 

I would be looking for the belt driven ones as no oily chain, but you also need to see how small they pack, how well they pack, how easy to pack, do they come with a bag, do you want an e-bike, what material - ie. stainless for use on a boat?

Her and her friend have hired a van to take around oz in a few weeks so something that folds up easy and is fairly light. Her budget is $300 -$500. Thinking maybe second hand. I’d say she’d want gears but not too fussed on anything else.

Offline Humphreythebear

• Tent User
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2018, 07:51:13 AM »
Save the $500 and rent one when required , far easier and they may find that the bikes are a giant pain , to store ,secure , use etc .

Or go to cash convertors and buy a cheapie - donate at end of ride , or sell to a japanese backpacker
Outback Sturt , Holden SS Ute and a MTB for the Rough Stuff

Offline weeds

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2018, 09:02:47 AM »
Save the $500 and rent one when required , far easier and they may find that the bikes are a giant pain , to store ,secure , use etc .

Or go to cash convertors and buy a cheapie - donate at end of ride , or sell to a japanese backpacker

How many bike hire places are you likely to come across traveling around Aus?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline weeds

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2018, 09:04:11 AM »
Her and her friend have hired a van to take around oz in a few weeks so something that folds up easy and is fairly light. Her budget is $300 -$500. Thinking maybe second hand. I’d say she’d want gears but not too fussed on anything else.

If the van has a spare tyre on the back o would get a bike carrier that straps to the spare tyre and a cheap second hand pushy.

Offline Annieandandy

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2018, 11:21:43 AM »
If the van has a spare tyre on the back o would get a bike carrier that straps to the spare tyre and a cheap second hand pushy.

I suggested the same. But her traveling partner has already got a fold up bike and they’ve worked out they can fit two of them comfortably in the van.

Offline Annieandandy

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2018, 11:30:16 AM »

Definitely wants to buy one and yep will be looking second hand but unsure what’s half decent in these things.

Offline Paddler Ed

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2018, 11:55:29 AM »
Dahon and Brompton and the 2 stand out brands that have been doing them for a while. I'm sure there are others but those are the 2 I know best.

As with any bikes, a cheaper one is likely to do the job, but not be as nice to ride or easy to use, and therefore be used less.

Offline Annieandandy

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2018, 12:46:38 PM »
Dahon and Brompton and the 2 stand out brands that have been doing them for a while. I'm sure there are others but those are the 2 I know best.

Thanks Paddler. Her friend has a Dahon but hard to find second hand in Brisbane. Will have a look for Brompton. Cheers Andy

As with any bikes, a cheaper one is likely to do the job, but not be as nice to ride or easy to use, and therefore be used less.

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2018, 03:33:58 PM »
How many bike hire places are you likely to come across traveling around Aus?

many Capitol cities have them as do many of the bigger towns / cities, Ayres Rock has a rental place (think it was $90 for the day though)...but yeah many locations likely wouldn't have them also.
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline Pottsy

• Hard Top Camper User
if God had meant me to walk he wouldn't have invented 4wds! Mitsubishi Challenger Pc 2014 (Blondie)
Challange Meredien Offroad Walk Thru

Offline jwb

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2018, 05:53:57 PM »
I thought they went down????

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Cheers

Jwb

Offline Annieandandy

• Soft Floor Camper User

Offline weeds

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2018, 06:24:09 PM »
Keep in mind the amount of use the bikes will actually get.....

I followed a blog off a couple doing the big lap, they purchased bikes in Perth and off loaded them in broome

I dragged our fat bikes down to Gosford last weekend and only mine got riden all of 500m...1600k’s, 4 days away.

Oh I have invested a fair bit into our carrier....and will still load up either roadies, MTB or Phatbikes most trips.

Packed for a Fraser Island

Offline Annieandandy

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2018, 06:45:40 PM »
Keep in mind the amount of use the bikes will actually get.....

I followed a blog off a couple doing the big lap, they purchased bikes in Perth and off loaded them in broome

I dragged our fat bikes down to Gosford last weekend and only mine got riden all of 500m...1600k’s, 4 days away.

Oh I have invested a fair bit into our carrier....and will still load up either roadies, MTB or Phatbikes most trips.

Packed for a Fraser Island

I'm guessing they probably won't get used much. But she may just surprise me.

Offline Annieandandy

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2018, 06:50:22 PM »

Fark I just found a Brompton second hand on eBay for $1300!!!! Are they made out of gold??

Offline Paddler Ed

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2018, 07:31:35 PM »
Fark I just found a Brompton second hand on eBay for $1300!!!! Are they made out of gold??

Nope, but they work

And always will work

And there's always a strong market for them as a result. In comparison, the bikes from Dick Smith (aka Kogan) will be worth about an part smoked durry 2 months after buying them.

Have a look here as well, they've got some comments on folders that may be of use: http://www.foldsoc.co.uk/buyguide.html

Offline Annieandandy

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2018, 07:37:48 PM »
Nope, but they work

And always will work

And there's always a strong market for them as a result. In comparison, the bikes from Dick Smith (aka Kogan) will be worth about an part smoked durry 2 months after buying them.

Have a look here as well, they've got some comments on folders that may be of use: http://www.foldsoc.co.uk/buyguide.html

Thanks mate I’ll check it out. Just found this on gumtree which is 5mins from my place.

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/holland-park-west/other-sports-fitness/holstar-traveller-folding-bike/1174107070?utm_campaign=socialbuttons&utm_content=app_ios&utm_medium=social&utm_source=ios_social

Any good?

Offline Paddler Ed

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2018, 07:50:08 PM »
Couldn't find much, apart from a load of other forum posts...

However, I did find an electric folder from Cell bikes in SYD, which might be an option to consider.

http://www.cellbikes.com.au/SmartMotion-e-20-Folder-e-Bike?custcol3=646

Offline buildermidwife

• Tent User
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2018, 04:25:09 PM »
We have 2 Brompton bikes . Purchased them a couple of years ago after our bcf folding bikes fell to pieces . They fold down very small . We put ours behind the front seats of the car in the passenger leg area . They are very high quality and well worth the high price . People use them as world touring bikes . All parts are easily available . They fold with the chain in the middle so no risk of getting grease  from the chain on anything . They Also are very easy to ride .
Cheers Paul
04 dx 3.0 patrol Goldstream Explorer st