Author Topic: Buying a 'used' 4wd  (Read 2417 times)

Offline AndrewT

• Learning the Ropes
Buying a 'used' 4wd
« on: April 13, 2017, 08:33:16 AM »
So I have another thread going about which dual cabs to look at...seen a cracking triton...low kms...mint inside..every accessory i want (canapoy, snorkel, bullbat, racks etc). There are two things putting me off...firstly its been used to pull a heavy van (has an electric brake controller) but secondly because its been offroad. They have polished the car but you can still see the Bush scratches...not deep...but they are there. I know theres no way to tell if its been hammered off road but would you consider buying a 4wd which has clearly been used for 4wding? Sounds ridiculous right that it puts me off

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
Re: Buying a 'used' 4wd
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2017, 09:02:36 AM »
Quote from: AndrewT
Sounds ridiculous right
Yes.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2017, 09:08:56 AM »
Look at the front bash plate and lower front arms. Small scraps and marks are fine, but big dents and gouges (especially on the lower arms and cross members) are a bit of a give away that it might have done some harder off-road work.
But the biggest one is the lower rear quarter panels, if they're still straight then the odds are pretty good that it hasn't been flogged off road. ;D

Did they tell you what van they tow?
Just because it has a brake controller doesn't always mean it's been working hard. My JK has a brake controller and my trailer is only ~600kg. ;)

Offline AndrewT

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2017, 09:20:02 AM »
Not sure what van...its at a Stealership

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2017, 09:24:50 AM »
Quote from: AndrewT
Not sure what van...its at a Stealership
so it may have towed a camper trailer with electric brakes and not a car trailer full of earth moving gear...
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline AndrewT

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2017, 09:26:11 AM »
Agreed Bird...on both your posts

Offline Paddler Ed

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2017, 09:32:51 AM »
Couple of points that make one that may have worked hard to be a bit of a better buy:
-Most part time 4wd systems need to be run at least once a month for over 10km to keep all the bits lubricate properly - it's in the Toyota Owners book to do that.
-You won't feel guilty about adding some more bush pinstripes
-Things will be used, and I prefer higher km's over lower km's for the same age as there are less issues with high km's than there are with underused/short journey, long idling vehicles.
-It's already got the towbar, brake controller and other bits like that fitted

Like Pete, I have an electric brake controller for towing a trailer under 750kg, so don't think it's all bad. What it also means is that the ute brakes haven't been flogged trying to stop the whole lot before the override brakes kick in (push on)

Offline Annieandandy

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2017, 09:48:52 AM »
Take it to your mechanic to get it checked over. Mine charges $100 and gives me a detailed report on the good and bad. Small price to pay. Can also give you a bit of bargaining power if there is something that may need attention down the track.

Offline mrdenn1s

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • Dennis Does Cricket
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2017, 03:35:44 PM »
Get an independent check. Google is your friend for who can do these.
2014 Blue Water Tanami Soft floor Camper
2000 Landcruiser 105 GXL Inline 6
2011 Kia Sorento

Offline Nomad

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2017, 06:57:16 PM »
If there is any info on the previous owner in the glovebox do a bit of searching and give them a ring..........I have done that a couple of times on cars I have looked at. Given they have already sold they usually have no qualms in telling you the good bad and the ugly. You can usually also ask them what they got paid on the trade and that little gem of info can be very very useful.

:cheers:

Offline chillipepperz

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2017, 07:58:59 PM »
If there is any info on the previous owner in the glovebox do a bit of searching and give them a ring..........I have done that a couple of times on cars I have looked at. Given they have already sold they usually have no qualms in telling you the good bad and the ugly. You can usually also ask them what they got paid on the trade and that little gem of info can be very very useful.

:cheers:

I agree with this strategy...only time I have done it though, turned out the bloke I called had the car in the yard on consignment! So he wasn't gunna tell me the bad and the ugly bits (didn't buy it).

Cheers!
Andrew
Alumina Hardtop Camper Build: http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=22809.0