Author Topic: Best Laid Plans.....  (Read 4061 times)

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
Best Laid Plans.....
« on: June 25, 2016, 09:19:17 PM »
How plans change. 

The plan was after a number of pm's and a phone call to get up early on Friday, travel up to Brisbane, met up with fellow MySwagger, Ian Wilkinson and complete a purchase and collect the property.  I would then have time to catch up with my Dad for lunch before return back home for tea.  The alarm set for 4.30am.

For the past couple of months our old dog, Quinn( yes named after the song), a 13yr old Belgium/German Shepherd has been having the odd session.  Checks with the Vet have come back to show a couple of things.  Blood test show he is anemic, too anemic which led to an ultrasound which showed one 1cm tumour on one end of the spleen and a 3cm tumour on the other end of the spleen but was also attached to the liver and unknown how far into the liver it had gone.

What was happening as I understood from what the Vet was saying, every now and then Quinn would move and the tumour/s would tear and he would bleed internally causing him to have a 'session' and go down hill.  When this had happened over the past couple of months he was down for a while and would come good again.   

Thursday afternoon Quinn went down again and basically stayed down.  We tried to get him up to go for a wee for the night but either refused to get up and when helped up did not want to move.  He wasn't looking good but I left him with Jan while went to bed early still hoping to go to Brisbane early in the morning. 

4.30am the alarm goes off and in the darkness trying to be quiet I hear some odd noise in the lounge room and find Jan had made a bed next to Quinn for the night.  She said he hadn't moved and after she had gone to bed for the night she heard Quinn making noises and she thought well, he has slept beside her side of the bed for 13 yrs she can sleep beside him for the night and that is what she did.  Quinn still not able to get up plans were changed and I stayed home. 

Later I rang the Vet and arranged to take Quinn in that afternoon.  We knew his time was up and even though he was still alert and wanting to eat and drink, he could not get up or move.  By the time we got him into the Vets, Quinn had basically bled internally that much his blood pressure was very low and his gums had lost all the pinkness in the gums.  The Vet agreed it was time, something we had already discussed and agreed. 

Quinn is our fourth shepard we have had put to sleep and it doesn't get any easier.  He has definitely been the best dog we have had.  The best temperament and just all round great companion.  While our son  still lives local and we could take Quinn in to spend the last half hour with him, our daughter is currently in Texas USA with her husband so there was a lengthy skype call with the laptop set up in front of Quinn  for her to see him and say her good byes too. 

Anyhow after many tears the job is done and Quinn is now buried with two of our previous shepherds, Wuss and Shep in the garden.  Living on 4 ha we are lucky enough do that.  Thanks too to Ian for the last minute change to plans, we will get there one day. 

As a younger dog

On Friday with the young dog

Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline Swannie

• Are we there yet
  • Hard Top Camper User
Re: Best Laid Plans.....
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2016, 09:37:56 PM »
Sorry to hear mate, they become soo much part of the family
1994 80 series RV Land Cruiser  (Frank the Tank)
2015 200 series gxl TTD (Bruiser The Cruiser)
2015 Jayco Starcraft 17:58-3 OB (Starsky)

scrapsD40

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2016, 09:40:19 PM »
Sorry to hear that. They always become family and as such always sad to say goodbye

Offline chillipepperz

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2016, 10:24:47 PM »
alnjan, so sorry to read of this very sad news, but the way he went was very special and a credit to a couple of wonderful owners/friends. All the best to you.

Cheers!
Andrew
Alumina Hardtop Camper Build: http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=22809.0

Offline loanrangie

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2016, 10:34:55 AM »
Sorry for your loss , at least you know he had 13 years of love and good times.
MY08 TDV6 SE D3,
2003 Dingo Offroad Camper Trailer.
1974 Kombi microbus
1958 FC special sedan
1998 Triumph Daytona T595

Offline Robbo

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Put another banger on the barbie
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2016, 11:10:59 AM »
alnjan, i feel for your loss being a dog lover and past owner and have gone through what you must be feeling right now. Just remember the good times that you spent together and that will help you through.

Best Regards

Robbo

Offline Aurian

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2016, 12:01:39 PM »
Sorry to hear mate. Man's best friend doesn't even come close to what they mean to us.
Aurian.
2002 3.0L GU Patrol with NADS fitted
2000 Cape York Trailer Explorer

Offline tracker

• Hard Top Camper User
  • If you can throw a ball...Be able to catch one !!!
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2016, 01:52:04 PM »
Know the feeling......
Toyota Prado....- ( Fantasy F3SL Hybrid  Van)

Offline Bill

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2016, 06:05:47 AM »
Condolences sir...
Bill
"The problem with the world is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"
-unknown

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2016, 08:27:17 AM »
Its never good having to say bye to the extended family member...
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Darcy7

• Hard Top Camper User
  • The plumage doesn't enter into it.....!
    • RVeeThereYet.com
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2016, 12:23:07 PM »
Our condolences to you and your family.   :'(

We have 3 girls who are our 'children' and I cannot imagine life without any one of them.

Visit our blog at WWW.RVeeThereYet.com

Offline Nomad

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2016, 05:37:17 PM »
Sorry to hear that.
He looked like he had a great life thanks to you guys.
He will be happy next to your other mates. I still have Seth on the mantle and give him a pat and say g'day as I go past.
Best wishes
Regards
Paul

Offline Desert lover

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Challenge Meridian Offroad camper, GU Patrol.
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2016, 05:54:00 PM »
Alnjan We are so sorry to hear of the loss of your friend.  I'm sure Quinn knew how much he was loved and that your wife would sleep beside him was just so touching (and something I have also been known to do too...).  May the memories you have of the special times support you through this sad time.

Desert Lover