Author Topic: Help!!!! We need to buy a portable fridge!!!  (Read 14079 times)

Offline rodw

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: Help!!!! We need to buy a portable fridge!!!
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2013, 08:25:35 PM »
I have been watching this:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/231080644155?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I have a 38 litre waeco and can get half a carton and enough cold stuff to last three or four nights for 2 adults and two kids 6 & 8. But I know that will change as they get older.

The same fridge in BCF is $799.

I am trying to justify more camping stuff.......Funnily enough I am doing alot more camping with alot less gear lately.

Tentworld is Toowoomba based but has a shop at Browns Plains just off the Logan Motorway so close enough for you to run up and pick one up. I have a metal Engel and so does a mate. But he has a mate that has one of these and aside from the plastic case, he reckons they are identical.

I find these guys good to deal with and buy there in preference to BCF if I can. Got my OzTent and first Waeco fridge there.

I did end up selling my Waeco once I had an Engel. You should get about $350 for it on eBay.

Offline oldmate

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2013, 09:25:22 PM »
We have a 50lt Waeco in the car and a 80lt Waeco upright in the trailer. Trailer we use for food, and car for drinks, on the long weekend trips. I can only get a full carton plus coke and champagne in the 50lt. Man I think I need a 3rd fridge.
Our Blog. A work in progress
https://www.facebook.com/UltimateAdventuresBlog/

Offline Axl

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2013, 09:44:47 PM »
I have been watching this:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/231080644155?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I have a 38 litre waeco and can get half a carton and enough cold stuff to last three or four nights for 2 adults and two kids 6 & 8. But I know that will change as they get older.

The same fridge in BCF is $799.

I am trying to justify more camping stuff.......Funnily enough I am doing alot more camping with alot less gear lately.

Got the same fridge at BCF a couple of months back for $699, had it on its maiden trip last week and the frozen meat I put in the bottom prior to leaving home was still frozen at the end of day six when we got home. That was the temp setting on 1.5-2 (with 5 being the coldest) had with it packed full and opened it at least 5-6 times a day :cup:.
Cheers Axl

2010 14.44.3 OB Jayco Expanda
2018 Dual Cab LS-M Isuzu D-max
2013 Lifestyle Camper Trailers Explorer (Sold)

Offline Pipeliner

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • I'm too old to rough it!
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2013, 07:16:50 AM »
I have two fridges: the first is the 60L Evakool fridge/freezer which came with the Odyssey and the second is an Evakool Travelmate 35L which travels in the back of the Jeep and gets lifted out and plugged into the camper power supply for long (2+ nights) stays.  Both have given good service without problems.
Camping is great as long as the mattress is inner spring!

Offline jimc1

• Tent User
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2013, 12:38:46 PM »
I got a 80 litre Waeco in trailer and 32litre Engel in car...the only one I have had issues with has been the waeco, but easy enough to fix.

If is was in the market for a fridge to replace the waeco, I would seriously save up and get a National Luna, but these are one of the best you can buy.

Offline fuji

• "Tail End Charlie"
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "nolle timere" Don't be afraid
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2013, 03:02:53 PM »
I'm selling my 60 litre Engel fridge/freezer with cover, and is still under warranty. New around 1600 to 1800 I think new. Just pm me with a reasonable price. ;D
Wayne
2017 (79 series) Landcruiser, and Evernew E100😎

Offline GROB

• Tent User
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2013, 08:14:01 PM »
We have 2 evakool 60lt fridge/freezers , both are run as fridge/freezer on long trips on the economy setting which only draws 2.5 amp ,if it needs a boost switch over to the normal setting , 3.5 amp draw. when at home one is used full time as a second freezer.Had these for 6 years with out any problems
2010 d22 navara & jimboomba explorer

Offline Diver

• Tent User
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2014, 06:23:18 PM »
We run a three way fridge and love it.

Plug in to 240 to get it cold, plonk it in the jeep and run the 240 lead through the window.
As we are about to choof off, i whack in the 12 v lead until we get where we are goin.

Set up crap etc, whip fridge out of jeep and plug in the gas bottle. We've never had a bottle run out on us yet.

Its as easy as wetting the bed when ya drunk.

JC

I have been given an old 3 way fridge.  A primus Snowline 35.  It sucks the life out of the 12v battery and I want to get it to run on gas.  However the gas fitting on the fridge is larger than the standard plain old BBQ gas hose and reg that I use on my 9kg bottle.

Is yours the same?.  If so any idea what adaptor I need please.

Offline nab

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2014, 12:08:41 AM »
Any idea what a Engel 50th Anniversary 40Lt fridge (as new, little use, maybe 2 years old)? The bloke selling it has no idea, want to offer him a fair amount. He already said no to $500...
2005 Jayco Dove - sold
2003 Coromal Pioneer XC

Offline evolution

• Pain is just weakness leaving the body
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2014, 12:40:38 AM »
Quote from: nab link=topic=33495.msg633446#msg633446 date=14080
Any idea what a Engel 50th Anniversary 40Lt fridge (as new, little use, maybe 2 years old)? The bloke selling it has no idea, want to offer him a fair amount. He already said no to $500...
New rrp was $1249, so adjust for competition at retail level to about $1100-$1150 new
I would suggest if in "as new condition" a used prices of between $700-$800?
Something to keep in mind is that the new platinum 40l is $1349 rrp. So in realistic terms replacement costs have increased.

Cheers
Evo
Owner at Regional Campers
Explore a different world!

Offline nab

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2014, 12:47:09 AM »
Cheers Evo, was thinking the same ~$800. He said he paid just under $1200 for it.
2005 Jayco Dove - sold
2003 Coromal Pioneer XC

Offline Jeepers Creepers

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2014, 06:16:49 AM »
JC

I have been given an old 3 way fridge.  A primus Snowline 35.  It sucks the life out of the 12v battery and I want to get it to run on gas.  However the gas fitting on the fridge is larger than the standard plain old BBQ gas hose and reg that I use on my 9kg bottle.

Is yours the same?.  If so any idea what adaptor I need please.

Mines a different brand to yours, so if it was me, i'd  throw in the car and to a gas fitting place to get it spot on.

I'm assuming you've run the fridge on 240 and 12 volts already to be sure it works ok. No sense buying a gas line to find the fridge is knackered.
I DON'T CARE HOW NICE THE HAND SOAP SMELLS.....

You should never walk out of the public toilets sniffing your fingers.

Offline Diver

• Tent User
« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2014, 12:26:16 PM »
JC

It runs well on 240v and 12v (although it sucks a 12v battery pretty quick if stand alone).  I already have a 39 engel and a 40 engel so this will probably just be a beer fridge in the shed over Xmas or I will use it on gas for trips away when we are not moving often.

I can then save my solar and AGM for the Engel.