Author Topic: Help!!!! We need to buy a portable fridge!!!  (Read 14078 times)

Offline amydecjez

• Learning the Ropes
Help!!!! We need to buy a portable fridge!!!
« on: November 10, 2013, 06:00:44 AM »
We have just returned from our maiden yoyage in our new 2014 GIC camper trailer! An amazing week spent in yamba . Our problem two Eskis and a lot of $$$$$ spent on ice, never again :( so we need your advice on fridges:) my dad has a really old three way fridge he swears gas is the way to go ? We had an 80l eskie and I think that size is ok for 4 of us! Thanks in advance !! We are very new to camping so many decisions!

Offline fishfinder

• Hard Floor Camper User
Re: Help!!!! We need to buy a portable fridge!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2013, 06:13:50 AM »
gas fridges are good but they have to be on level ground - run out of gas you got no fridge - top brand name electric fridges solar panels batteries initial lay out cost a bit but the sun rays are free accessible just about any where.
2004 Jayco Eagle Outback - 1999 Toyota Prado Snowy

Offline Watty2975

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2013, 06:21:39 AM »
Congratulations on the ne camper.
If the fridge will travel in a safe place inside the camper or car, go for an Evakool. It is fibre class and has far better insulation than metal or plastic. This means the compressor has to run for less time and battery will last longer. We have had ours for over 12 years and it has been all over the country.

If it needs to be more robust then a Engel is great but over priced in my opinion. Waeco also make a good frige. All have 80l sizes. Will mean considering your power needs as well.

3 way a very good on gas and rubbish on anything else in my experience. Large physical size for small interior room.

You won't regret moving from an esky to a fridge. No more pulling ruined food from the ice slush in the bottom ;D

Good luck with what ever you decide. :cheers:
Landcruiser 200 TTD GXL with a few goodies & campomatic camper

Offline 02-SR5

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2013, 06:28:11 AM »
IMHO, three way fridges are old school.

Have a look at a good 12v compressor fridge and look at a good solar panel setup.

I like ARB fridges. But any good quality fridge will do. I just prefer the layout of the ARB fridg
2011 Challenger with some mods

2012 Lifestyle Explorer

scarps

Help!!!! We need to buy a portable fridge!!!
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2013, 06:36:15 AM »
I had / have a gas 3way, a Waeco and just got an evacool in our new CT.
Evacool the best one I've had to date for efficiency and insulation, but they're large and would need two people to carry if full of food. As stated, best for these to be fixed into car or CT and you won't regret having bought one.
Waeco in my car is ok for drinks and day trips/4wding at best. I find my 50l very much affected by the external ambient temperature whch in the car can fluctuate a lot.  I find the food is either frozen as we travel with the aircon on, or defrosts/goes off as the fridge has to work so hard in the heat when no aircon and it flattens the second battery. 
The new Dometic Gas fridges are very good on gas but best suited for a long stay situation in one spot, as said, not great when plugged into 12v.
I'm sure other's will have differing experiences, but that's mine to date.

Offline MadMarv

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2013, 07:43:36 AM »
we planed a 5 night trip for a family of 5 this included a infant and we used a 38 ltr Engel Eclipse ... yes it was tightly packed but we had enough room for the food ... we originally looked at the Evacool but the size of it was the problem as ours is mounted in the Patrol . I believe the Evacool runs the same compressor as the Waeco 
For Longer trips ive been told to use the Engel as a freezer and have 2 frozen softdrink bottles in the freezer and 2 in the Esky and swap them each day and by getting the next days food out of the freezer and putting it in the Esky this also helps keep the Esky cool ..
Regards

Marv

Offline rodw

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2013, 08:27:22 AM »

Some food for thought on this thread.
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=24039.msg380055#msg380055

Offline muzza01

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Y62 S5 Nissan Patrol and Tanami 13 Hybrid
    • Photobucket Muz
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2013, 08:35:44 AM »
I have two fridges. 1 is a 95lt Evacool. Very economical on 12 volts and a tuff little fridge freezer.

I have a 3 way fridge freezer. They are good on gas but absolutely terrible on 12 volts. They will drain a battery over night. Also, 3 way fridges (not fridge/freezers) don't work we'll on gas in hot climates. They really struggle to cool below 6-7 degrees. If you get a 3 way, make sure it is a fridge/freezer as these will certainly work well.

I only use the 3 way on longer trips as a drinks fridge. The Evacool is used all of the time.

KingBilly

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2013, 12:07:10 PM »
Another thread which may assist

http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=2411.0;topicseen

We have an Engel and an EvaKool.  Happy with both.

KB

Offline NiftyMac

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2013, 01:07:58 PM »
We have had a Autofridge for many years, expensive but well worth it, http://www.autofridge.com.au

It is a 12volt fridge which uses the tried and true Danfoss 12 v compressor, but uses what they call "Eutectic refrigeration" basically has a jacket around the fridge (built into the case) of a a liquid which freezes down and stores the cold.  The eutectic tank contains a liquid which is chilled and frozen during the refrigeration cycle, so you do not have to run the fridge for as long each day.(2 hours in the morning, 3 hours in the evening they recommend)
Well worth a look and ... designed, built and serviced here in Sydney!
They have two sizes - 42 litre and 75 litre.

Good luck with your purchase. But advice is do your research as you are doing as their is some rubbish out there!

Offline lindamc

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • Woodsies Photography
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2013, 02:58:57 PM »
We had a tight budget so went with an ebay special. Glacio 80l fridge/freezer. Cost $500 . So far its working very well and we are very happy. We power it with our dual battery system and solar panels

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk 2

Linda & Kristin
Prado & Aussie jay camper
Melbourne

Offline Jeepers Creepers

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2013, 06:39:43 PM »
We run a three way fridge and love it.

Plug in to 240 to get it cold, plonk it in the jeep and run the 240 lead through the window.
As we are about to choof off, i whack in the 12 v lead until we get where we are goin.

Set up crap etc, whip fridge out of jeep and plug in the gas bottle. We've never had a bottle run out on us yet.

Its as easy as wetting the bed when ya drunk.
I DON'T CARE HOW NICE THE HAND SOAP SMELLS.....

You should never walk out of the public toilets sniffing your fingers.

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2013, 07:47:07 PM »
Solar Battery = Engal  Cold  :cheers: say no more  :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline willow2093

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2013, 08:14:53 PM »
I had a cheap ebay special. Worked great for 4yrs. Was always in the back of the defender. It has only just stopped working.
Now have invested in a engel 60ltr fridge/freezer. Hope not to buy another fridge for a long time.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk

Offline Wuzgonna

• Tent User
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2013, 08:30:01 PM »
http://www.engelaustralia.com.au

Bugger ????
, The old rig gone but not forgotten...

Offline Hodgies

• Tent User
  • Hodgies
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2013, 12:57:12 PM »
We too have a 3 way fridge, used the same way as Jeepers.
 Works great. Has not missed a beat.
Cheers D and S
2011 Ford Ranger
2001 K.K

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2013, 12:58:53 PM »
What is your budget?
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline berlitza

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2013, 03:06:21 PM »
As lost said "budget", solar with a couple of deep cycles and a tropic rated fridge is epic, but for mwa I use a 3 way ( mainly on gas) and have had no dramas with it and will quite happily sit at around 3-4 degrees on a 35 degree day in a well shaded area
All my life, I thought air was free...until I bought a bag of chips

Offline Footy Shorts Shane

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2013, 03:38:15 PM »
We are very new to camping ...............

Then I would suggest you stick with the eskys and sort those out first, before rushing in and purchasing a fridge and possibly batteries. Could be far more cost effective in the long run to stick with eskys.

Shane.
With enough horse power, sheer ignorance and a total lack of respect for your vehicle, you'll get through....

Offline amydecjez

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2013, 05:45:57 PM »
So thankful for all your advise!! we have a budget of around $1000 but if we need to spend more then we shall!!! In reality we are a family of  four and will be doing 2 x 1 week holidays per year and a few 3 day trips per year! we have not set up battery/solar as yet we have a lot to  do and plan !! So the basics like butter milk meat yoghurt cheese ! I am a beer drinker and hubby doesn't drink so prob should rotate 6 beers/day  :cheers: How big do I really need???????

KingBilly

« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2013, 05:53:29 PM »
Vacuum pack your meat and it will last weeks in a fridge.  Your butcher can do it for you if you ask nice  :D

Our little 14L Engel holds a 6 pack of stubbies, 4 or so cans of softdrink and a bottle of wine.  Our 60L EvaKool holds enough food for our family of four (3 adults and 15yo boy) for a week.

KB

Offline muzza01

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Y62 S5 Nissan Patrol and Tanami 13 Hybrid
    • Photobucket Muz
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2013, 06:26:05 PM »
As KB suggested, cryovac your meat. $1000 will get you a fridge. If you use it on freeze it will chew up your battery supply real quick. You need a power supply as you can't just run your fridge indefinitely and running it for  a week without a solar panel or battery charger will exhaust your power.
If we are camping away for two weeks,  we always cryovac our meat so we don't need to run the fridge on freeze. I have the solar panel hooked up every day to top up the batteries. A couple of overcast days can cause problems if you are camped in an isolated area. You may need a generator as a backup. I know you can't buy a fridge, solar panel and generator for $1000 but these are things that you will need down the track if you are camping in an isolated area for a week.

Offline 86gav

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2013, 07:21:08 PM »
I've got a dual zone 65l ice cube fridge from ironman. Plenty of room for family of 5 for a week and only Cost me $900 with a bag and thermometer. It's a bloody ball tearer. Lives in the back of the troll and they daily school run seems to be enough to keep it going. Ran it for 5days with 2 100ah batteries in the camper with freezer on-5 and fridge on +2 no problems. Haven't got solar yet but I figure I can always just idle the car up for a bit if it gets low.  Should also mention this fridge has a 5 year warranty as well.

Cheers
Gav

Sent from somewhere that I really shouldn't be posting on forums

08 GU CRD Auto
2013 Lifestyle Walkthru Delux

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2013, 07:30:39 PM »
You need to sit down and work out what you want, how you will use it, etc.
Saying you have a budget of a grand "but will spend more" doesn't really answer anything.

Will it live in trailer? car? move from one to other?

Yep, grand will get you a used fridge.
Couple of good 105ah/120ah batteries $250-300ea
Basic Dual battery system $350 fitted with battery tray up to $$$ for a good system with incab monitoring.
Wiring down to the trailer in the car to charge batteries on trailer if you want to run the fridge in the trailer.
Box to mount it on the trailer $$$
etc

« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 08:15:15 PM by Lost »
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Nomad

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2013, 07:33:49 PM »
I have been watching this:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/231080644155?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I have a 38 litre waeco and can get half a carton and enough cold stuff to last three or four nights for 2 adults and two kids 6 & 8. But I know that will change as they get older.

The same fridge in BCF is $799.

I am trying to justify more camping stuff.......Funnily enough I am doing alot more camping with alot less gear lately.