Author Topic: Jayco - roof top air conditioners  (Read 35547 times)

Offline Teabag

• The bush is my playground......
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "Better to be looking at it than looking for it"
Re: Jayco - roof top air conditioners
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2011, 10:14:22 PM »
I have just returned from 2 weeks away in the FNQ tropical heat with the B2200 AC fitted to our Jayco Hawk and must say it was a treat sleeping at night and a nice retreat during the day when hot. Now, there are many who say they are noisy and that's there opinion but I strongly disagree. Yes, I have run mine from a Honda EU20 (2Kva Generator) without issues. An absolute must in the FNQ climate to be able to camp all year round........ :cup: :cup: :cup:
2006 GU4 4.2TDi Patrol with many goodies. Currently no camper but have had a Customline Camper, Kimberly Kamper and Jayco Hawk....Tenting and Swagging it now..

Offline Jon

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Bringing rain to every campsite
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2011, 07:27:08 AM »
Those roof units are quite noisy (in my opinion) and are often less effective then your regular house unit with separate head setup.

For my parents caravan, I made up a rear bar suitable to hold a house unit, then mounted the head inside. It's a 1hp job and is exceptional. It's been towed all over the country and works brilliantly, almost no noise whatsoever, even outside. I had the bar dipped in gal, looks factory. I made a white PVC cover for it in transit.

They're about to upgrade to a dual axle en suite van and we'll do the same again. The salesman are puzzled that they don't want the roof air conditioner...

A lot of caravaners have offered money for the same setup.

Just a thought. (cheaper too)

I was just thinking this exact thing. 2.5kw (1hp) inverter splits can be had for $800 and that is a decent brand too, not some cheapie. These can draw less than 4 amps for the park goers.
You must however be careful with the pipe work to allow for vibration when travelling. We installed a number of units into mobile hearing test vans because of their low noise levels.
I got a sweater for Xmas, really wanted a moaner or screamer.

Offline Scottr

• Learning the Ropes
  • 2011 Jayco Swan Outback + 100 series Cruiser
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2012, 08:46:27 PM »
Does anyone know if they need the H frame on the 2011 swan out back as I would get it in the garage without it but add 25mm extra height and it's a no go. Would like to see photo's of one mounted with a roof rack on.

Cheers scott

quote author=Bushman link=topic=6280.msg91178#msg91178 date=1274080041]
We looked into the A/C thin for our Swan.

They normally use the B1900 campers as they only weigh 34kg, the B2200 usually go on full vans or pop-tops like the Expanda etc,
No you wont need an extra power lead, they simply plug to one on the existing internal power points

Yes the roof hatch is replaced by the AC, they cut the hole a little bigger, in models up to mid 09 they use a "H" frame on the roof, after that they don't due to change in roof design.

As a courtesy to others in van parks A/C general rule of thumb is they're turned off after 10pm as they can be a tad noisy.
[/quote]

Offline JU5T1N

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2012, 01:48:19 AM »
Im pretty sure the 2011 Swan doesn't need the 'H' frame. An easy way you can check for yourself is look on top of your vans roof, if it has a seam going down centre from front to back its a 2 piece roof needing the H frame. If no seam no 'H' frame required.

Nissan whore:
Nissan Patrol GUramax (Stripped by ADC)
Nissan Skyline R33 GTR V-spec 480awkw
Nissan Skyline R34 GTR M-spec 830awkw (NOW SOLD)