Author Topic: Bunnings 10% price guarantee (and they won't uphold it!)  (Read 29360 times)

Offline andylandy

• Sleeping Bag User
Bunnings 10% price guarantee (and they won't uphold it!)
« on: May 29, 2012, 05:58:15 PM »
Hi All,

Just took a trip to Bunnings and have come home fuming, i am after a Cut off saw. I chose the saw i want (Makita 2414NB-2) looked at the prices online, Bunnings have the saw at $349, another tool shop about an hour from where i live are advertising the saw at $282, but as Bunnings is 5 minutes down the road i thought I'd head there and try out there 10% price guarantee. They checked that the saw's were the same model, and i have no issues with that, they then said that that shop must have the item on the shelf ready to go, that's not in there terms and conditions in fact it says they will match any online price. So they ring up said store and the saw is not on the shelf but they can have it the next business day. Bunnings say that is not good enough, they also tell me that store is selling for $454 so my print out is basically a lie and there is no way they'll match that price, when i asked to speak with the manager, the assistant phoned and spoke to the manager, and said they won't match it especially when there is a discrepancy between prices from the other store. The manager couldn't even be bothered to come and talk to me. The whole time i was in the store i was calm and polite, but walked out feeling very angry, they basically were telling me my print out from the other store was a lie therefore i am a liar! I have just got off the phone with the other store, they are selling the saw at $282 as advertised! So basically what i have learnt is that Bunnings themselves will do anything they can NOT to keep their own Guarantees, and i am very annoyed at the way i was treated, i am an honest person and do not like being treated like a liar, it doesn't say much for their customer service really, and i will now take my custom elsewhere.

Rant over, best go and have a relaxing drink to help me calm down!

Andy

Offline JCOJ

• 2019 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
Re: Bunnings 10% price guarantee (and they won't uphold it!)
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 06:12:57 PM »
Not good enough!!

I would get the owners of the cheaper saw to fax you a letter on their letterhead stating their price on the saw and then take that to Bunnings.  If they then refuse I would be taking it further.

When I tried to get a price match from Anaconda, surprisingly I got it considering it was an internet sale, so I can give a good word for them for others trying the same thing them.

Good Luck!

Offline craigtempo

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • welcome to the party that never ends
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 06:14:28 PM »
Yeah that sux

craig

Offline fuji

• "Tail End Charlie"
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "nolle timere" Don't be afraid
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 06:15:40 PM »
Is there a Masters near Penrith?
2017 (79 series) Landcruiser, and Evernew E100😎

Offline the big rig

• Swag User
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 06:22:11 PM »
Was that bunnings near heartland? I would have drove to the other one since there nice and close to each other
Playing up more then a 2nd hand lawn mower. Our Bruce http://myswag.org/forum/index.php?topic=22355.0

Offline BigJules

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Just Cruisin' - I wish...
    • I'm so much cooler online :D
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 06:30:36 PM »
Bunnings are so big that for a lot of things they have their own model. My lawn mower for eg is a Victa, but you can't buy that model number anywhere but Bunnings. You can get an identical Victa elsewhere but it will have a different model number.
Julian
Land Cruiser V8 + Trackabout Safari SV Extenda
MySwag Gallery, Photobucket
Sydney Agent for www.trackabout.com.au
Mallee Gear - Tough as nails

Offline Fun Police

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2012, 06:32:51 PM »
Bunnings do this all the time.  It's happened to me a few times.

I only shop there out of necessity. Especially the Warrawong store. They blow big time. Oxygen thieves
You can't spell 'funeral' without 'fun', nor 'manslaughter' without 'laughter'

Offline medion

• Tent User
    • My Camper Buildup
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2012, 06:59:36 PM »
That sucks.

I have price matched a few times at Bunnings (lawn mower, power tools) and have never had an issue.

With the mower The store I got the price from wasn't even open. Bunnings were happy to beat.
Dion
Jackaroo SWB
Oztrail Camper 7 buildup

Offline nab

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2012, 07:04:49 PM »
I can understand matching/beating the price (I don't like it though, I spend my time doing quotes then they take that to someone else and they beat it by $100  >:(), but getting the other shop to fax the price through is wrong in my mind. They would be going out of their way to help you, that would be enough for me to spend my money there. They are wasting their time when you have absolutely no intention of buying from them.

Worth going to the smaller shop for the extra ~$27 and time in my eyes.

Happy buying!

2005 Jayco Dove - sold
2003 Coromal Pioneer XC

Offline Estelle

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • New members of the leisure club
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2012, 07:10:50 PM »

Agree with you nab. If they can't make the figure first time, go to the place that does.

I get the feeling this Co. Is stretching themselves too far. There will be about 4 stores in our local area soon. Someone has to lose out.

Wait till Woolies hits the streets properly.
 Will probably go to Mit...10
Chris & John

05 DiD Platinum Pajero, Cub Spacevan Drover Off Road

Offline dazzler

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Power Power Power
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2012, 07:58:24 PM »

Andy

Open google, search 'syria massacre', hug your family and have  a :cheers:

Seriously, does it matter.
My alternative to cheap import trailers;

http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=36094.msg578367#msg578367

Offline McGirr

• Cape York Tour Guide
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2012, 07:59:56 PM »
The policy is there but it depends on the management from each store on the interpretation and customer service.

Mark
Living the dream working our way around Australia.

Ernabella SA, Warburton WA, Mt Barnett Roadhouse in the Kimberley, Peppimenarti NT, Ramingining NT, Gapuwiyak NT, Gunbalanya NT, Bidyadanga WA, Ali Curung NT, Tjuntjuntjara WA. 18 places

https://www.facebook.com/Working-and-Traveling-Australia

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2012, 08:13:42 PM »
They blow big time. Oxygen thieves
but then sometimes they can surprise you with great pricing. i just bought a Makita 260mm sliding compound saw from Bunnings, as they were nearly $100 cheaper then Trade Tools are on the very same item. total price i paid was $399, so nearly $100 saved on that total is a rediculous differance IMHO.
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline Campa

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2012, 08:15:08 PM »
BUNNINGS - Where lowest prices are just the beginning......... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Kit_e_kat9

• It's all about the Journey ...
  • Hard Top Camper User
    • The Lyons Den
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2012, 08:15:48 PM »
Bunnings are so big that for a lot of things they have their own model. My lawn mower for eg is a Victa, but you can't buy that model number anywhere but Bunnings. You can get an identical Victa elsewhere but it will have a different model number.

You got it in one.  As for price matching ... on smaller inexpensive items ... they are happy to comply, especially when they can't prove you wrong ... but give them a chance to hang themselves and pi$$ you off ... they will everytime.

I used to work for them and make it a life time policy to NEVER set foot in one again unless it's absolutely necessary.  That's twice in over 10 years and the last time they were the only ones that had what I wanted, they neglected to say it wasn't in stock.  They give me the $hits big time. 

They even had the gall one time to request customers pay full price when the signage clearly stated $x ... about $100 cheaper than it should have been.  I lost all respect for them at that moment.  Asking ME to request a customer in the carpark return and pay full price ... send the #$*^*&(& manager ... not counter staff you putz's  ... which I told them and so ended our employment relationship ... yes ... they sacked me over that.

Take your money else where every time is what I say. 

Kit_e
2010 Hilux SR5 & 2010 Aussie Swag Rover LX
My Blog

Offline Janbo

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Jayco Eagle - Jeep Cherokee KK
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2012, 08:24:25 PM »
They are certainly not the cheapest!!
We are all in the gutter....... But some of us are looking at the stars!!

Offline LUXUS

• Swag User
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2012, 08:24:40 PM »
If you feel like making a point, go buy the saw from the cheaper store, then take the saw and receipt to Bunnings for evidence, get your 10% off, and then return the saw to the other store or sell it on ebay.

I couldn't be bothered doing this myself, but it an option.

Worth going to the smaller shop for the extra ~$27 and time in my eyes.
x 2, if they are a smaller company.

Offline heath74

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2012, 08:30:28 PM »
I'd generally just go to the cheaper shop, however I get your point sometimes it's convenient, to use Bunnings or what ever that might be closer.

I asked anaconda to price match once, the bloke said, "well I'm going to have to call BCF and confirm it and confirm they have stock first" no worries I said, if you want to make the sale, make the call. " we'll its going to take me a little while" he said...
Forget it I said.

Offline Campa

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2012, 08:30:44 PM »
The Chasers war......Bunnings Ad  ;D ;D ;D ;D

The Chaser's War on Bunnings Ads 1 Small | Large

Offline griz066

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2012, 08:36:29 PM »
I can't for the life of me know why anyone goes to the big green shed, bunch of ignorant arrogant greedy gouging thieving a$$holes. >:D >:D :cheers:
Yesterday's Gone, Tomorrow Hasn't Happened, Live For Today.
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=12950.msg192834#msg192834

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2012, 11:19:17 PM »
Hi All,

Just took a trip to Bunnings and have come home fuming, i am after a Cut off saw. I chose the saw i want (Makita 2414NB-2) looked at the prices online, Bunnings have the saw at $349, another tool shop about an hour from where i live are advertising the saw at $282, but as Bunnings is 5 minutes down the road i thought I'd head there and try out there 10% price guarantee. They checked that the saw's were the same model, and i have no issues with that, they then said that that shop must have the item on the shelf ready to go, that's not in there terms and conditions in fact it says they will match any online price. So they ring up said store and the saw is not on the shelf but they can have it the next business day. Bunnings say that is not good enough, they also tell me that store is selling for $454 so my print out is basically a lie and there is no way they'll match that price, when i asked to speak with the manager, the assistant phoned and spoke to the manager, and said they won't match it especially when there is a discrepancy between prices from the other store. The manager couldn't even be bothered to come and talk to me. The whole time i was in the store i was calm and polite, but walked out feeling very angry, they basically were telling me my print out from the other store was a lie therefore i am a liar! I have just got off the phone with the other store, they are selling the saw at $282 as advertised! So basically what i have learnt is that Bunnings themselves will do anything they can NOT to keep their own Guarantees, and i am very annoyed at the way i was treated, i am an honest person and do not like being treated like a liar, it doesn't say much for their customer service really, and i will now take my custom elsewhere.

Andy
Your suprised??

www.notgoodenough.com
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline cruisindub

• Volksing Matilda. We Love Our Matilda.
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2012, 03:35:54 AM »
If you want service,go elsewhere.
last 3 big purchase of hardware, I bought elsewhere, elsewwere where I got service, a smile, great information and genuine advice, and each time cheaper. I use them out of necessity,  eg Sundays or public holidays.
They never have specials. The catalogues are just crap advertising.
have spent enough money there over time of renovating our house, each time the staff get thicker,and worse.(apologies to any swaggers who are working there) my dad was tool shop boss at local store as last job before retirement.
I use them as a benchmark to shop at local shops. Lately, each store has beaten them on price for like for like.
was in store today, getting some numpty to show me something. She was then told by another 'team member's that said item was out of stock so they sell the higher item, sincethey need more sales. It is frustrating when the local shops don't open weekends. Though even more frustrating to support the shareholders and directors of a place like that.
Rant over......... till next time I have to go there.
Why do people ask "What the hell were you thinking?"
Obviously I was thinking I was going to get away with it and not have to explain it....

Offline lilstookie

• Traveling Lab Rats
  • Soft Floor Camper User
    • http://facebook.com/thewanderingjocks
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2012, 08:34:16 AM »
We bought a gasmate stove for our trailer and on getting it home 53km later it was missing the hose and the pol connector was the wrong one.
I went back and got a refund with no issues. They discovered all the stoves had been supplied without hoses.
I lodged my complaint online and was called by the. Manager. He apologises and said he would personally deliver a $50 gift card for our troubles as he lived nearby. It never arrived  !!
I still shop there and got a McCulloch chainsaw. I asked about replacement chains and was told I could get them anywhere.  Well you can't ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If the spelling and grammar are good, it's a post from Lil. If not, the mad Scot is on the keyboard ;)

Add us on facebook and keep up to date with our big lap .
www.facebook.com/TheWanderingJocks or follow our blog

Offline Maîneÿ . . .

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Watch videos below
    • S0LAR power charging videos
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2012, 08:55:37 AM »
What your fighting is the wording they use

If you happen to find a cheaper price on a stocked item we'll beat it by 10%*

*Excludes trade quotes, stock liquidations and commercial quantities.
Shelf prices may be lower than advertised to ensure lowest prices every day.

Bunnings’ price guarantee applies to any cheaper price found on an on-line store or in a physical store in Australia.
It applies where the other store’s final price, inclusive of delivery, taxes, fees and charges, is lower than our price

Bunnings PRICE MATCH Link: http://www.bunnings.com.au/default_price-guarantee.aspx

Offline pauljygrant

• Tent User
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2012, 09:36:27 AM »
What your fighting is the wording they use

If you happen to find a cheaper price on a stocked item we'll beat it by 10%*

*Excludes trade quotes, stock liquidations and commercial quantities.
Shelf prices may be lower than advertised to ensure lowest prices every day.

Bunnings’ price guarantee applies to any cheaper price found on an on-line store or in a physical store in Australia.
It applies where the other store’s final price, inclusive of delivery, taxes, fees and charges, is lower than our price

Bunnings PRICE MATCH Link: http://www.bunnings.com.au/default_price-guarantee.aspx

You just beat me to it - was on their website checking the specific wording and agree that they have kept to the exact terms of their advertising.

That said, IMO, their manager could have made a decision to at least match (ie not match then deduct another 10%) the other stores price given that Bunnings has the product in stock and the other retailer doesn't.  Most retailers have the ability to order a huge range from the companies they deal with, but are not willing or able to hold that width of stock due to the costs involved.  Bunnings has incurred the cost of have your chosen product in stock, and available to you 7 days per week, until 9pm some nights - why should they be overly penalised by then giving you a further 10% off when they are already within the terms of their advertised policy? 

I'm the first to criticise, but in this case, its my opinion that they are correct - although from your version of events, perhaps they could have dealt with it better.

Paul 
2011 Jayco Swan; (about to be upgraded to 2015 Jayco Basestation); 2013 Nissan Navara 2.5 ST Auto