Author Topic: Wi Fi Internet Radio.?  (Read 4594 times)

Offline baldheadedgit

• Hard Top Camper User
  • your shout.?.. I'll ave Arf.......!
Wi Fi Internet Radio.?
« on: April 03, 2012, 08:52:17 PM »
Here's a question for the techno guys... Wi Fi internet radio...
my problem is i cant get good reception on the normal AM radio at home,,, and as i like 2CH and the boss likes 2GB, it makes it a pain in the butt trying to get good reception where we are,
Now i have heard about wi fi internet radio.,,,,, any one have a set.?   i believe it will connect via normal wi fi and use the digital broadcast on line,,,am i on the rite track.??
Any help guys and girls... ;D
i know i can use digital broadcast on the PC in the garage, that's how i get the AM stations at the moment, but need somethink that is stand alone..

BHG

Poverty Pack.!

Offline austastar

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Wi Fi Internet Radio.?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 08:58:03 PM »
Hi,
   my son had a radio looking device that was an internet radio. His ISP was Internode, and that gave him the radio streaming for $0.00, not all ISPs will have that, so the expense could be considerable depending on your internet plan and usage.

cheers

Offline Disco4Guy

• Swag User
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 09:02:02 PM »
Yep... I know what you're after.  Somthing like these...

http://www.sangean.com.au/products/internet-radios.html
and
http://www.pure.com/internet-radio/

I have the Sangean WFR-1D+ and it has WiFi Internet Radio and DAB+ and heaps of other features.  Works great!  If you're after better than AM reception, maybe just upgrade to a digital (DAB+) radio.   Good thing about internet radio is that you're not restricted to any station, as you can listen to stations all over the world.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 09:06:59 PM by Disco4Guy »
Land Rover Discovery4 SDV6
Mountain Trail Campers Evolution

Offline baldheadedgit

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 09:04:35 PM »
Hmm well i log into digital radio pluss i think its called, every weekend,, have it running as background music on weekends,  have 20 gig a month and never go over 7 gig for the month,, that in mind, it will run a bit more often, if  a wi fi radio works,,, but i dont see big downloads being a major prob...
thanks for the input austastar..

BHG

Poverty Pack.!

Offline sschmez

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • sschmez's "Huts" photos on flickr
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 09:06:24 PM »
We often listen to German radio here at home.
iphone in the speaker dock, app streams radio broadcast.
comes in through the home adsl2, then via wifi to the phone.

Stevo

Offline maurerless

• Tent User
  • Don't take life seriously; no one gets out alive
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 10:15:54 PM »
Don't get Wi FI and DAB mixed up. They are both digital, but very different transmission types.

I spoke with the local ABC radio techs here when DAB was released. I asked about remote access if I was camping and was told that DAB, although it has better quality sound, does not have the same coverage as the old AM radio bands. Indeed, inside many shopping malls, the DAB signal can't really get through all the steel and concrete so you might not be able to test run them properly before buying.

I'm not familiar with WiFi radio, but to my mind it would only be as good as the internet connection you have. So if you are travelling and don't have a mobile signal, chances are you won't get 3G (4G? ) reception either. It would be okay in your home, or perhaps a caravan park that offers Wi Fi connections.

Perhaps a small deviation from the thread, but don't go throwing out the old AM radios just yet - the local ABC is still generally the local emergency broadcast radio station too. If you are out camping somewhere and there is an emergency warning, chances are it'll come over an AM radio station - they still have the best rural coverage.  :police:

Tony
2010 Isuzu D-Max; Hard walled mobile swag, but still getting out there. :)

Offline Mace

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Life's to short to drive a boring vehicle.
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2012, 10:21:28 PM »
Perhaps a small deviation from the thread, but don't go throwing out the old AM radios just yet - the local ABC is still generally the local emergency broadcast radio station too. If you are out camping somewhere and there is an emergency warning, chances are it'll come over an AM radio station - they still have the best rural coverage.  :police:

Not saying youre wrong, but depends where U are.  Here in Vic most are FM.

See:

http://www.abc.net.au/reception/freq/

For your State by state frequencies.
2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel
2009 Coromal 452
2002 Commodore SS (The Toy)

Offline tootall

• Tent User
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2012, 10:37:44 PM »
spend $100 bucks on an apple tv receiver from JB HiFi. Hire movies, watch youtube on your tv... and get 1000s of internet radio stations
2001 GU Patrol * 2009 Jayco Hawk Outback * Oztent RV4

Offline Disco4Guy

• Swag User
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2012, 11:16:50 PM »
I think we're getting off the track of his initial problem. If you just want to get better reception from your garage in Western Sydney for 2GB and 2CH he could just get a cheap digital radio from Aldi.
Land Rover Discovery4 SDV6
Mountain Trail Campers Evolution

Offline Estelle

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • New members of the leisure club
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2012, 11:26:58 PM »
Hi Mr. BHG,

Sounds like the internet is your better option as the only way to fix 'air reception' is by using a decent aerial. Can be awkward.

Here is a link to a 'cheapish' version of an internet receiver (I assume via your local WiFi router). I'd find it hard to pay $400 or more for a radio. Maybe cheaper models available.

http://www.kogan.com.au/shop/kogan-wi-fi-digital-radio-dab-iphone-docking/

Some appear to feed off your PC which is pretty useless. Maybe I read the info incorrectly.

If you want a totally stand alone radio, there 'may' be a 3G (mobile phone) style of connection, but I guess that would be expensive, if available.

Telstra has the 3G to WiFi hub/router at a good price. Away from home, you could use it to connect to the internet, and hook into it via Your WiFi radio. Listen to your favourite station from another state.
At home, use your existing internet connection via WiFi. (Assuming you have a WiFi hub/router at home and not cabling to each connection)

Chris & John

05 DiD Platinum Pajero, Cub Spacevan Drover Off Road

Offline baldheadedgit

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2012, 05:22:33 AM »
thanks for the replys people,,, 3g 4g are out,, would be to pricey unless you have an unlimited broadband plan with your telco,
DAB, works to the same extent as AM where we are, seems we are in a bit of a dead spot unless i can get a antenae up high......bugger that.
Estelle, the kogan seems about the cheapest i've seen that MAY do the job, and yes it will be via my  Wi Fi at home and not interested in taking it away  with me,, if the radio in the ute dont work then i just sing,,,,and thats woefull........ ;D

:cheers:

BHG

Poverty Pack.!

Offline biggles1024

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2012, 08:08:56 AM »
I use my iPhone (3GS) to listen to internet radio, wirelessly. Here at home I connect to my broadband via my WiFi. Away from home, connection is via the 3G network. The big advantage of internet radio is that you're not limited to local radio. There are approximately 40,000 stations transmitting over the 'net.
I heard some horror stories of the amount of data being downloaded but that hasn't been my experience.
I now have Bigpuddle cable at home with a 200GB per month allowance, up from 20GB with Internode and 1GB per month with Telstra Mobile on my iPhone plan for 3G. Only once have I used all that 1GB on 3G and that was because I was tethering my lappy to my iPhone to access the 'net whilst away from home.

The iPhone app I use is called TuneIn Radio. You can access their website from any computer, no download required. http://tunein.com/  Suggest you try it at home and see if internet radio is to your liking before purchasing a dedicated internet radio.

Cheers,

Offline Mikeb62

• Swag User
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2012, 09:48:51 AM »
I've got this Kogan unit. http://www.kogan.com.au/shop/kogan-wi-fi-digital-radio-dab-iphone-docking-delux/ has better speakers than the cheaper one. Very happy with it and all features work as advertisted. I use the DAB+ tuner most of the time, reception good but I'm close to the city. The internet radio works great and has staions grouped well or you can search and then save favourites. Even has Local Australia stations in one group. Comes with a handy credit card sized remote control. Very easy to get it setup on he home wifi. So yes, this or similar unit should do the job either DAB+ reception or if in a black spot then internet radio via your home wifi.

Offline BigJules

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Just Cruisin' - I wish...
    • I'm so much cooler online :D
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2012, 02:12:27 PM »
I use TuneIn Radio on my iPhone every day. Thousands of rado stations, though I really only listenn to ABC sydney, ABC Grandstand, ABC Cricket or JakeFM (a country station GURich put me onto).
Julian
Land Cruiser V8 + Trackabout Safari SV Extenda
MySwag Gallery, Photobucket
Sydney Agent for www.trackabout.com.au
Mallee Gear - Tough as nails

Offline baldheadedgit

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2012, 06:04:10 PM »
More info,, thanks guys,, seems Kogan will be the way to go,,,
Jules i use internet radio in the garage  http://www.digitalradioplus.com.au/player/player.cfm?coverage=Sydney&station=1012
works great,  more so we  need a stand alone unit like the Kogan ones,,,  other wise we have to run one of the comps to recieve it..
i dont think the download will be to big, i'm sure i read somewhere that streaming radio did not use big MB's. but i will research this point..
thanks again everyone for the input so far.  :cheers:

BHg

Poverty Pack.!

Offline maurerless

• Tent User
  • Don't take life seriously; no one gets out alive
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2012, 09:40:34 PM »
Not saying youre wrong, but depends where U are.  Here in Vic most are FM.

See:

http://www.abc.net.au/reception/freq/

For your State by state frequencies.

Well look at that.  :-[

Maybe because the conversation I had was in the ACT, with an ACT tech, the answer I was given was limited to the ACT perspective. It would make sense because there was also a lot of discussion about particular local dead spots.

Hmm. Maybe I should reconsider my specifications about what "sound system" I want to install into the Camper. I was going to get an AM/FM/CD/iPod combo, but maybe I should consider the FM/DAB/CD/iPod combo
2010 Isuzu D-Max; Hard walled mobile swag, but still getting out there. :)