Author Topic: What has happened..........  (Read 7652 times)

Offline rossm

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: What has happened..........
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2019, 11:55:15 AM »
Why would you bother having a UHF and not turning it on?

UHF was useful when finding  a way past the many wide loads travelling to and from the Pilbara in the last month.

The rest of the time the bad language bugs me.

But I am old fashioned. What I regard as bad language seems par for the course these days. Women and children use words I never used in the hearing of women and children.

Offline SimpleSi

• Tent User
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2019, 12:02:16 PM »
I too, am just back from Bris-WA-Bris and surprised by the number not using UHF, and people towing massive caravans with piddly side mirrors. Ignorant geriatrics.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2019, 12:11:39 PM »
Quote from: SimpleSi
Ignorant geriatrics.

Oh, you saw Keith?  :cup:
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline weeds

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2019, 12:58:14 PM »

Not tongue in cheek........and that attitude is what drives road rage and gives caravanners the image that becomes them.........self centred twats!!

The wave is long gone.....I’m on a road trip at the moment and reading this post made me realize I don’t even look at the driver approaching than alone their hands.

I thought I’d deliberately look and wait for a wave, spotted one from an old farmer, it more looked like he waved out of habit than genuinely waving at me, I waved back and wondered if he even noticed. One lady caught me out, I thought she was waving but she was playing with her hair.

I got bored after an hour waiting for a wave so I figured I’d wave at every car, tried all sorts of variations without luck, not even a fellow POS hi-lux driver waved. Hi-lux is my work car, I have a ‘campervan’ as my tourer (well a 4WD that I sleep in and it has a kitchen/fridge and storage)

I assume if one initiates wave often enough they might get a few in return.

I don’t think my general approach is representative of the rest of the road users and I doubt generates any road rage

- I don’t wave, and haven’t experienced any road rage from not waving.

- I only turn my UHF on when really needed, big wide loads maybe, roadworks maybe, if I’m traveling with somebody than generally yes other than that there is no real need, well no lawful need. Normally the tunes are pumping pretty loud and there is no chance of hearing the UHF. I must get around to relocating and fitting my new antenna so that joe blow doesn’t see I have a UHF fitted.  The few times I’ve assist people around on the dirt ends up in a spray of rocks. The brides always spends at least 1/3 of the day steering, don’t recall her ever turning on the UHF.

Again bored today I put the UHF on and turned the tunes down, heard a wide load calling up but never come across it, although it pretty hard to miss them when they are approaching. While the radio was on two caravans pulled over to let traffic by, didn’t hear anybody on the radio not that it was required. I had the radio on Scan so figured it would have covered 18/40. Don’t reckon I’ll turn it back on for the next 1600km.

- on the black stuff I sit on the speed limit (GPS), on the odd time somebody decides to be a hemorrhoid and I notice I generally don’t make any adjustments as they’ll sort it out at the next opportunity, considering they are sitting on the speed limit. The bride normally drives to the speedo or slightly slower....doesn’t seem to upset anybody.

- on dirt, I drive to conditions, the few times I’ve decided to help the impatient it normally ends with a shower if rocks. Billowing dust, why would one want to plough throw with limited vision putting a lot of trust in the car calling you through

Oh, I got 100k into my trip today before I notice the mirror were still at the brides adjustment.

Oh I no longer tow but used the same principles when I did......don’t reckon I’ve upset anybody today.

I have a two week road trip to Lucindale and back in September in the tourer, I’ll make a point of seeing how I fit in with the rest of the road users.

Happy counting waves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2019, 01:41:57 PM »
Why would you bother having a UHF and not turning it on?
Traveling in convoy (club trips) UHF is on from the start of the trip to the end, then it’s turned off again until the next group trip.

I don’t really want my family to be listening to a bunch of foul mouthed meth heads yelling at each other for hours on end, so the 2 way stays off.

As for the driving wave, I have a couple of stats...

100% of drivers in modified Jeeps wave at me when I’m driving the wife’s modified Jeep.. :D

About 50% of Sierra drivers wave when I’m in my Sierra (the more modifications on their vehicles the more likelihood of getting a wave). 

Exactly 0% of any drivers wave when I’m in my Triton. :P
Sometimes when I’m in the Triton I forgot that I’m not in the Jeep when I wave at other Jeeps and they all just look at me weirdly.... ;D

Waving on rural roads is hit and miss these days, on our last trip out through Emerald/Longreach/Townsville I got a lot of return waves, probably better then 50%.

Offline Luke_D

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2019, 02:05:32 PM »

I don’t really want my family to be listening to a bunch of foul mouthed meth heads yelling at each other for hours on end, so the 2 way stays off.

X2

Offline knightlux

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2019, 02:25:52 PM »
I just got back from 7000kms to Uluru and I recon about 75% of drivers towing caravans or camper trailers waved. Especially once you were off the main roads.
2018 Toyota Fortuner, Ezytrail Albany Z

Offline rotare

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2019, 03:28:01 PM »
What's the fixation with waving at every passing car, or expecting others to wave back at you?

Does it make people feel like they're back in the good ol' days, when people waved because they were genuinely gesturing a 'hello', as compared to someone travelling past at 100km/hr and waving purely out of habit, and doing so with no real intent?

Genuine question.

Offline Merts

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2019, 04:22:05 PM »
Of all the things you could choose to be annoyed about, you pick drivers not waving at you? Lol....
Towing a a National Campers 'Hermit 10' hybrid with an MQ Triton. Previously towed an Outback Campers 'Sturt' softfloor. (PM me if you want to buy the Sturt!)

Offline Traveller

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2019, 04:39:53 PM »
What's the fixation with waving at every passing car, or expecting others to wave back at you?

Does it make people feel like they're back in the good ol' days, when people waved because they were genuinely gesturing a 'hello', as compared to someone travelling past at 100km/hr and waving purely out of habit, and doing so with no real intent?

Genuine question.

I am from the old days, and yes, I miss the genuine hello wave. In fact I am so old that I remember that when travelling in the Vic High Country, or remotish outback, and pre electronic everything, that often oncoming vehicles would stop to enquire about track conditions. Life must have been a bit slower, windows up air-conditioned machines didn't exist, and people thought 'talking' was something that didn't involve a phone.

We have just returned from a 7 week jaunt mainly around Qld (thanks Xcavator for taking all the flack for us Victorians) and certainly there are a lot less people waving. There are always more when you are on the dirt and even away from cities.

I doubt I will stop waving, and I feel sorry for you if you are annoyed by it.

Offline rotare

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2019, 05:42:11 PM »

I am from the old days, and yes, I miss the genuine hello wave. In fact I am so old that I remember that when travelling in the Vic High Country, or remotish outback, and pre electronic everything, that often oncoming vehicles would stop to enquire about track conditions. Life must have been a bit slower, windows up air-conditioned machines didn't exist, and people thought 'talking' was something that didn't involve a phone.

We have just returned from a 7 week jaunt mainly around Qld (thanks Xcavator for taking all the flack for us Victorians) and certainly there are a lot less people waving. There are always more when you are on the dirt and even away from cities.

I doubt I will stop waving, and I feel sorry for you if you are annoyed by it.

No need to be sorry for me..... and I'm not sure exactly how you came to the conclusion that I personally might be annoyed, given I asked a question rather giving my opinion  ???

I just find it kinda funny that some people are clearly hung up if other drivers don't wave to them.  My point is, does it really matter if they do or don't?  It's been almost implied it's rude if someone doesn't wave back at you.... 

It seems a good majority of those few people that are still waving at passing cars, are doing so simply out of habit, or because they feel a need too, rather than because they are genuinely wanting to gesture a 'hello'.....

I'm sure it actually meant something at one time, but does it really mean something now? 

Offline Steffo1

• Hard Top Camper User
  • More I learn about women, more I like my ute
« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2019, 06:59:38 PM »
It may have something to do with the volume of traffic these days. Where once you may have encountered 10 or so vehicles between, say Mckinlay and Kynuna before the road was sealed, today would probably be 10× that.

Also, the loosely  termed " Iconic" routes probably have more vehicles  in a month now, than they had in a year 20 years ago.
'93 4.2 TD 'Cruiser 'tilly
'08 TD V6 Disco 3
'10 16' Evernew Pop Top

"sit bonum tempora volvunt"

Offline Traveller

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2019, 08:33:18 PM »
No need to be sorry for me..... and I'm not sure exactly how you came to the conclusion that I personally might be annoyed, given I asked a question rather giving my opinion  ???

No, wasn't having a go at you, it was a at the world in general. I don't really give a jot if people wave or not, I just miss what I took to be the camaraderie of the road. I think Steffo nailed it with the number of cars doing the tracks these days.

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2019, 09:35:29 AM »
Quote from: Traveller
I am from the old days, and yes, I miss the genuine hello wave. In fact I am so old that I remember that when travelling in the Vic High Country, or remotish outback, and pre electronic everything, that often oncoming vehicles would stop to enquire about track conditions. Life must have been a bit slower, windows up air-conditioned machines didn't exist, and people thought 'talking' was something that didn't involve a phone

When I was young the olds had a fitted out Kombi, we traveled, and on remote tracks, quite often everyone would stop and have a chat... sometimes you'd end up with 5-10 cars pulled up. quite surprising considering out back of Sofala you'd be lucky to see 5 cars a day... LOL
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Champin

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2019, 11:24:52 AM »
It's like that everywhere these days. Say gidday to someone in the city and they back sway and avoid eye contact. In trucking if you had a flat tyre there would be 3 trucks pull up behind you ready to lend a hand. Not now days. Everybody seems too time poor. Different in the country. I can't go into my towns shop/post office without bumping my gums over something inconsequential for at least half an hour. I like that. It reminds me I'm part of something greater.
 I think community spirit is been replaced by economy spirit.

Sent from my TA-1024 using Tapatalk

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2019, 01:02:31 PM »
Quote from: Champin
I can't go into my towns shop/post office without bumping my gums over something inconsequential for at least half an hour. I like that. It reminds me I'm part of something greater.
 I think community spirit is been replaced by economy spirit.
Agree..  And I find that can happen still in small rural towns, even when your not from there.
I grew up in a town of ~1200... I miss that small town feel and small town caring as you say walk down the street, see someones dad working on his car, you'd just stick your hand up and offer to help... We have neighbours now on one side who have been there at least 7 years, and have never tried to be neighbourly to us or those on the other side of them. Guess I didnt realise how amazing the neighbours I had growing up in Kurnell for 40yrs were :(
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Kangaron

• "Don't make excuses, Make it Happen."
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2019, 04:13:19 PM »
Shortly I'll be moving to a rural town of 800 people.
I've had the place there for about 7 years.
It is a 10 minute walk to the pub/bakery/IGA /butcher, etc.
No matter where you go, it turns into an hour round trip.

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2019, 04:27:24 PM »
Quote from: Kangaron
It is a 10 minute walk to the pub/bakery/IGA /butcher, etc.
No matter where you go, it turns into an hour round trip.
Sounds awesome Ron... Selling the current joint, or keeping n renting it out? be good $ where you are...
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline BaseCamp

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Shake & Bake BB!
« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2019, 04:53:35 PM »
The world seems to have become so indifferent these days - that I can't even get a return "Hi" from the guy sitting outside my local Woolies that sells the Big Issues...

But I do remember with fond nostalgia, the beach runs up and down Fraser in the 1970s....

Very few vehicles on the beach; wild Brumbies galore;  camp anywhere you felt like; campsite fires no questions; and seemingly nearly everyone gave you a wave as they drove by....

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

You get out and in to the world -- you take more @#&$. …You climb a little higher, ..you take less @#&$.  …Till one day -- you're up in the rarefied atmosphere -- and you've forgotten what @#&$ even looks like….  Welcome to the layer cake son.

Offline Kangaron

• "Don't make excuses, Make it Happen."
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2019, 05:07:07 PM »
Sounds awesome Ron... Selling the current joint, or keeping n renting it out? be good $ where you are...

Already own the joints in the bush, selling here, thats my our spending money.
Kids have been warned.

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #45 on: August 15, 2019, 08:12:58 PM »
When I was young the olds had a fitted out Kombi, we traveled, and on remote tracks, quite often everyone would stop and have a chat... sometimes you'd end up with 5-10 cars pulled up. quite surprising considering out back of Sofala you'd be lucky to see 5 cars a day... LOL

So, you were stopped and chatting  for two days ????   ;D ;D
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra