Author Topic: Lightforce Hid colour  (Read 2641 times)

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
Lightforce Hid colour
« on: October 15, 2016, 06:40:20 AM »
I have some 35w hid LF 240s they were modified by predator lighting. Not sure on the colour but I think 6,000k they are good and after an initial burn in with a little almost dot in the centre are now good but the extreme white is hard on the eyes with signs upclose.

Recently managed to score a set of genuine 50watt hid LF 240s . Lights (not new) was going to give them to a mate but in testing them I noticed that thy were a more yellow light? Could this be 4300k ? And presuming this would be better with signs? Another thing was they seemed to hum which my aftermarket ones Don't . You wouldn't hear it inside I would think. I need to make a call so I can decide which to gift off. It's a pain to changeover to try and more so around home there is no where that I can really try them out for the distance but presume the 50s being yellower will still punch well on?
« Last Edit: October 15, 2016, 08:39:47 AM by achjimmy »
Here for a good time, not a long time!

Jim

Offline kleyny

• Swag User
Re: Ipf Hid colour
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2016, 07:00:03 AM »
When I was changing my IPF's to hid I googled the crap out of it and found 5000k was a good happy medium. From my googling 6000 better suited out west where there where less signs and the alike.
As for the hum some kits do some don't its not something I would worry about. I work on trucks plenty hum and and dont even LEDs are the same.
I have a LED bar that hums but and mate has a similar bar and it doesnt.
If I was you i would swap one over go for a drive with one covered turn around and do it again with the other covered.
It all comes down to personal preference.

Neil
Diff locked TD 80 series.
93 CUB Drifter

Offline GeoffA

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "If 1 axle is good, 2 must be better........."
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2016, 07:06:52 AM »
Hi Jim,

A few years ago I fitted some 70w aftermarket HID's to my old IPF 900 spots. They were 6000k, and tended to be a bit blue-ish.
I found they were very focussed, giving a real pencil beam, but there was so much light that there was still plenty of illumination to the sides.
I've since changed them to 4300k, and fitted some spread beam lenses. I find 4300k gives better coverage, or better light.
The light seems to be somehow "fuller" or "thicker"  ???. Not yellow-ish, just less blue-ish.
The beam is now a flat-oval shape, with a better spread. The colour temp is easier on the eyes, but there is still plenty of reflection from signs.

I notice a slight buzz from the ballasts, but only when standing next to them. I also get some radio interference, but it's not an issue for me.

:cheers:

« Last Edit: October 15, 2016, 07:08:23 AM by GeoffA »
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon
2005 Coota Camper - gone, but never forgotten
2020 North Coast 15' Titanium - tandem, of course

Land Cruiser.....the Patrol that Toyota try to build.....

Offline tombie

• Tent User
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2016, 07:38:55 AM »
The more of the spectrum you can have the better for your eyes...

Dropping down to a lower temperature leaves some of the yellow in the produced light which reduces glare - which is the problem.

There is also an issue with the Tyndall effect at higher temperatures- dust, moisture etc in the air refracting and reflecting the light all over the place... lower temperature light is less prone to this problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2016, 08:39:25 AM »
Thanks guys just edited it running o. Too little sleep. They are LF 240s not ipf they last time.

Jim

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2016, 08:41:08 AM »
The more of the spectrum you can have the better for your eyes...

Dropping down to a lower temperature leaves some of the yellow in the produced light which reduces glare - which is the problem.

There is also an issue with the Tyndall effect at higher temperatures- dust, moisture etc in the air refracting and reflecting the light all over the place... lower temperature light is less prone to this problem.

Lower temperature? So 4300 is lower than 5000?

Jim

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Lightforce Hid colour
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2016, 08:43:44 AM »
Just looked up the 50watts are 4300k

Jim

Offline tombie

• Tent User
Re: Lightforce Hid colour
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2016, 09:40:21 AM »
Lower temperature? So 4300 is lower than 5000?

Correct.. 4300 Kelvin vs 5000 Kelvin

The following users thanked this post: achjimmy