Author Topic: Any sparkies on here?  (Read 3615 times)

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
Any sparkies on here?
« on: December 15, 2015, 11:36:51 AM »
Want put a basin to wash hands in the shed. I know there is a rule as to how close to a GPO a basin can be (600mm ?) but is it the same or different for a sub board? As the best place for the tub is close to one and three phase power?
Here for a good time, not a long time!

Jim

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Any sparkies on here?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2015, 11:42:14 AM »
2nd question. I have a cellar to the house. The orange 3core +N & E cable from the shed runs up under the house through this cellar along the roof  it's 10mm sq iirc and just too big to fit in 25mm flex conduit. Can I just saddle it to the roof without it being in conduit or is that wrong or bad practice? It is at least 2.1m off floor level.  This cable isn't live I just want to get the hard Yards done and I'll find a sparky to hook it up.

Jim

Offline markg66

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • yippee ki yay MF
    • Murrumba Pistol Club Inc
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2015, 11:59:26 AM »
2nd question. I have a cellar to the house. The orange 3core +N & E cable from the shed runs up under the house through this cellar along the roof  it's 10mm sq iirc and just too big to fit in 25mm flex conduit. Can I just saddle it to the roof without it being in conduit or is that wrong or bad practice? It is at least 2.1m off floor level.  This cable isn't live I just want to get the hard Yards done and I'll find a sparky to hook it up.
The standards say it must be mechanically protected, so if it's orange circular and was in a corner where it is not expected to be able to be mechanically damaged it is OK to just put it under saddles. So think about for instance that a rope can't be put around the beam for a kids swing and it would also go around cable, in this case it would have to go in conduit. There are also bending radius requirements and cable glands to think about when entering and exiting walls/panels etc.
As sparkies have a different interpretation of the standards its best to ask the one that will sign it off what he is happy with before you start.
Jayco 2000 Eagle Outback.
If it isn't 50% off it aint a discount.

Offline MDS69

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2015, 12:07:58 PM »
Want put a basin to wash hands in the shed. I know there is a rule as to how close to a GPO a basin can be (600mm ?) but is it the same or different for a sub board? As the best place for the tub is close to one and three phase power?

We will start with this one
AS/NZS 3000:2007 Clause 6.204.6 - A switchboard shall not be installed within any classified zone

With a fixed water container not exceeding 45L in capacity with fixed taps you have 2 classified zones
Zone 0 - is the interior of the fixed water container ie the sink
Zone 2 - is the area surrounding the fixed water container. The area shall be limited by 0.15m on the vertical plane from the internal rim of the sink and the floor and 0.4m on the horizontal plane above the sink

I thought I read and can't find it again that also the switchboard would need to be suitably covered for splashing etc.

This items above are for information purposes only as there are other mitigating circumstances of an installation and its equipment that impact it.

Offline MDS69

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2015, 12:11:37 PM »

If you are saddling along the horizontal plane along a joist or bearer it should be fine however if you can reasonably expect mechanical damage to occur then it should be mechanically protected. If saddling along a joist you will need 75mm clearance from the floor boards above to prevent some wally putting a nail through it.

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2015, 12:27:17 PM »
Why not just go up in size with the conduit ?
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline gronk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2015, 12:37:33 PM »
We will start with this one
AS/NZS 3000:2007 Clause 6.204.6 - A switchboard shall not be installed within any classified zone

Clause 2.9.2.5  (b) - A switchboard shall not be installed above open water containers or fixed or stationary cooking appliances .
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline MDS69

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2015, 01:16:44 PM »
Clause 2.9.2.5  (b) - A switchboard shall not be installed above open water containers or fixed or stationary cooking appliances .

Correct and like I wrote above "I thought I read and can't find it again that also the switchboard would need to be suitably covered for splashing etc." in addition the clause you quoted there is an exception "A switchboard may be located in an area the may be affected by water splashing or by steam provided that the switchboard is provided with a suitable enclosure or is installed in a cupboard with close fitting doors"

Offline gronk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2015, 01:36:00 PM »
Yeh, but finding the definition of suitable enclosure ? A plastic enclosure with a clear plastic lid ?
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2015, 01:50:01 PM »
Thanks guys.

Yeah I thought about 32mm conduit but I always end up going over the top so trying to limit it for once! And  it's going to likley to end up behind a wall one day.

With the tub it's a laundry type tub be at least 40-45litres it should be about 500mm away from the sub board on the opposing corner  and box is one of those plastic ones with a cover over it. I can enclose with a timber cupboard if necessary

Jim

Offline briann532

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2015, 02:51:32 PM »
Jim,

I'm going to visit my sister Leura for xmas on Saturday.

Wifie is getting her hair done as sister is a hairbutcher....
I have a couple of hours to wait....
Also have a sparkthrowing license.
Happy to call in and offer help and or advice....

PM me if I can help out.
Brian
Back to a swag!
BitsiShity Tryton
Spending most of my time at the farm in Dalton!

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2015, 05:49:28 PM »
Just a school thing mate I'll flick a pm after thanks

Jim

Offline ATC

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2015, 06:47:29 PM »
Thanks guys.

Yeah I thought about 32mm conduit but I always end up going over the top so trying to limit it for once! And  it's going to likley to end up behind a wall one day.

With the tub it's a laundry type tub be at least 40-45litres it should be about 500mm away from the sub board on the opposing corner  and box is one of those plastic ones with a cover over it. I can enclose with a timber cupboard if necessary

Then you run the risk of someone putting a nail, screw, drill through it when it's behind a wall.
Keep the 75mm clearance in mind when placing it.