Author Topic: Nsw light bar rules  (Read 12000 times)

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
Nsw light bar rules
« on: September 28, 2015, 07:40:10 PM »
Where do we stand with light bars in Nsw so is roof mounted okay?

Lately, we have seen reforms on LED light bar mounting from Queensland, South Australia and more recently Western Australia. NSW Roads and Maritime Services is a little late to the party, but has finally released the new amended laws surrounding the fitment of LED light bars. While previously the law dictated that auxiliary driving lights must be fitted in pairs, NSW residents now can run with just one LED light bar if so desired. But as always, there is a catch!
ADR13 has been amended to remove the requirement to fit lights in pairs, providing the lights:
Do not exceed four in total
Are wired in conjunction with the high beam circuit of the vehicle
Are fitted symmetrically about the longitudinal centreline
Face towards the front of the vehicle
Roads and Maritime now exempt vehicles from the requirement to fit additional lights in pairs, as long as all other requirements are met. Hey, I’d call that a win but what do you think?

http://www.unsealed4x4.com.au/latest-led-light-bar-laws-for-nsw/

Here for a good time, not a long time!

Jim

Offline bobnrob

• Hard Floor Camper User
Re: Nsw light bar rules
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2015, 09:01:05 PM »
Where do we stand with light bars in Nsw so is roof mounted okay?

Don't know for a fact, but if not mentioned in the amendment, I'd be assuming it'd still be the same...on the roof's allowed, but not wired to highbeam, and only allowed to be used in the bush and not on public roads...which in and of itself was/is a vast mixture of shades of grey, eg: a large number of "bush" roads are public/gazetted roads   ???

NSW residents now can run with just one LED light bar if so desired. But as always, there is a catch!
ADR13 has been amended to remove the requirement to fit lights in pairs, providing the lights:
Do not exceed four in total
Are wired in conjunction with the high beam circuit of the vehicle
Are fitted symmetrically about the longitudinal centreline
Face towards the front of the vehicle
Roads and Maritime now exempt vehicles from the requirement to fit additional lights in pairs, as long as all other requirements are met. Hey, I’d call that a win but what do you think?

http://www.unsealed4x4.com.au/latest-led-light-bar-laws-for-nsw/

Sorry, I'm missing the "catch"   :-\
Bob and Robyn

Offline firefox

• Administrator
  • Hard Floor Camper User
  • Young Nomad, Travelling
    • Tripigy
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2015, 09:28:43 PM »
so i'm really curious about this..
I just had a read of  http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/mediaFiles/licensing/LBU_VS_IB_132A.pdf

Anyhow my vehicle is registered in QLD.. been all around the country excluding WA..
Now reading this above bulletin from WA my car is not compliant to WA regulations as it has a light bar on the roof (as well as the front..) So i had someone about three weeks back look at the car like it and then claim i better watch going to WA..

So my setup complies (and was actually inspected at QLD transport)...

If i go to WA (to travel through) does my vehicle have to comply with WA regulations even though it's not registered in WA...? What right does WA transport have to enforce a vehicle regulation when the vehicle is not registered in the state.

Interesting had a conservation with NT cops one night, and found out that if you stay in the state longer then 3 months then the vehicle regulations apply and.... you should have the vehicle registered in the state..?

So if i'm travelling through what happens?

Just curious about this has anyone read/understand the rules on this?? For no reason other then just curious about what the real rules are...
2015 LC200 - Snowy - Sahara with all the mods.
Custom built Off-road Caravan.

Offline Bill

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2015, 09:40:34 PM »
Friend down the road just got back from visiting family in WA.
Wanted to give his brandnew Aussie Swag a run so he drove.
Drives a Hilux with a Light bar on the bullbar and light bar on the roof.
Got pulled up for speeding and nothing was said about his lightbars.
Thats what he told me and I have no reason to doubt him.
Bill
"The problem with the world is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"
-unknown

Offline oldmate

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2015, 09:44:59 PM »
Friend down the road just got back from visiting family in WA.
Wanted to give his brandnew Aussie Swag a run so he drove.
Drives a Hilux with a Light bar on the bullbar and light bar on the roof.
Got pulled up for speeding and nothing was said about his lightbars.
Thats what he told me and I have no reason to doubt him.
Bill

I doubt him!    For starters, he was in a Hilux, towing an Aussie swag, and got pulled up for speeding??  Come on now we know he is telling fibs.   Hahahahha

Sorry could help it ;D
Our Blog. A work in progress
https://www.facebook.com/UltimateAdventuresBlog/

Offline jk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2015, 10:28:21 PM »
I doubt him!    For starters, he was in a Hilux, towing an Aussie swag, and got pulled up for speeding??  Come on now we know he is telling fibs.   Hahahahha

Sorry could help it ;D

PMSL.................my son has a Hilux and I can relate to that  ;D  ;D  ;D

2004 V8 5 speed IFS landcruiser with "ATS"

2005 Cape York Explorer Extreme with "ATS"

2012 Crusader X Country

McGirr is my Russell Coight and I'd follow him "Almost" anywhere !!!!!!

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2015, 10:38:15 PM »
Just shows how wrong Unsealed is.  NSW has been the last to make the 'amendments' as in NSW you could always have a single light or odd number of lights and they did not have to make any amendments.  The Law in NSW never dictated that auxiliary driving lights must be fitted in pairs.  The wording was , 'where possible fitted in pairs'. 

There is no height restriction with the mounting of auxiliary lights, however there is some conjecture over roof mounted lights but it does appear we can legally have light bar mounted to roof racks provided they meet all other requirements including being wired into high beam etc.   
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 10:40:08 PM by alnjan »
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline Davepatrol

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • 4.2 Patrol with a lot of extras
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2015, 11:06:59 PM »
so i'm really curious about this..
I just had a read of  http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/mediaFiles/licensing/LBU_VS_IB_132A.pdf

Anyhow my vehicle is registered in QLD.. been all around the country excluding WA..
Now reading this above bulletin from WA my car is not compliant to WA regulations as it has a light bar on the roof (as well as the front..) So i had someone about three weeks back look at the car like it and then claim i better watch going to WA..

So my setup complies (and was actually inspected at QLD transport)...

If i go to WA (to travel through) does my vehicle have to comply with WA regulations even though it's not registered in WA...? What right does WA transport have to enforce a vehicle regulation when the vehicle is not registered in the state.

Interesting had a conservation with NT cops one night, and found out that if you stay in the state longer then 3 months then the vehicle regulations apply and.... you should have the vehicle registered in the state..?

So if i'm travelling through what happens?

Just curious about this has anyone read/understand the rules on this?? For no reason other then just curious about what the real rules are...

As long as your car is compliant in the State it's registered  in all's well, If you stay longer than 3 months you are no longer classed as a visitor but a resident and rego and licence has to be changed over to that state.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 11:37:30 PM by Davepatrol »

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2015, 11:17:54 PM »
Try finding all the rules in the RTA website ??  Or the ADR rules ??  Nightmare !!

What you CAN do and what a copper says you CAN'T might be a bit different, but the only thing I found stopping lights going up near the roof was possible glare affecting the driver. And with lights mounted above the bullbar was the obstructing vision rule ( was it 9 or 11 metres ? )

2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline Bill

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2015, 05:50:49 AM »

Sorry could help it ;D
I thought the same thing.
But he showed me the ticket.
He is so proud that he put it into a frame on the wall in the pool room.
  ;D
Bill
"The problem with the world is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"
-unknown

Offline McGirr

• Cape York Tour Guide
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2015, 07:08:34 AM »

I have a big 43in curved light bar on top of the bullbar and just come back from a week in Kalgoorlie. I must have seen at least 15 cop cars drive past and none of them approached me.

Mark
Living the dream working our way around Australia.

Ernabella SA, Warburton WA, Mt Barnett Roadhouse in the Kimberley, Peppimenarti NT, Ramingining NT, Gapuwiyak NT, Gunbalanya NT, Bidyadanga WA, Ali Curung NT, Tjuntjuntjara WA. 18 places

https://www.facebook.com/Working-and-Traveling-Australia

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2015, 09:01:35 AM »
Try finding all the rules in the RTA website ??  Or the ADR rules ??  Nightmare !!

What you CAN do and what a copper says you CAN'T might be a bit different, but the only thing I found stopping lights going up near the roof was possible glare affecting the driver. And with lights mounted above the bullbar was the obstructing vision rule ( was it 9 or 11 metres ? )

11 meters
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline GUEY

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2015, 09:39:08 AM »
If we can try and get all state rules in one thread it might make life easier for some.

QLD

2016 Colorado Trailblazer
2010 Swan Outback

Offline GUEY

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2015, 09:40:08 AM »
WA

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk

2016 Colorado Trailblazer
2010 Swan Outback

Offline GUEY