Author Topic: Garden edging, any landscapers?  (Read 2981 times)

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
Garden edging, any landscapers?
« on: January 31, 2015, 04:27:17 PM »
Hope there's a few landscapers here?  I wanna do some paved garden edging, nothing elaborate just clay pavers end for end. BUT I only wanna do it once!  They will start from my driveway and curve around, so was thinking near the edge of the drive I will put some crazy 10" footing for the first couple so when I back the Cruza over the edge they don't cave  :laugh:  but after that what's the go, bit of motar?  Can I butt them end for end or you gotta lay motar between them like bricks?  I looked on line but it's mostly yanks doing concrete edging. Appreciate suggestions including paying someone else  ;D
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 04:31:57 PM by achjimmy »
Here for a good time, not a long time!

Jim

KingBilly

Re: Garden edging
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2015, 04:33:29 PM »
I laid some end to end once.  Dug the grass out off a narrow trench, back filled with crusher dust, wet it and compacted it with my boots, laid the bricks on a motar base, used motor in between, sponged off, and job was done.  Took forever though as I did about 50 metres.  Still looked good when we sold 12 years later.

KB

Offline hainess

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: Garden edging, any landscapers?
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2015, 08:05:47 PM »
I usually just take the grass off and dig a spade wide trench about 2 inches deep.
Fill trench with concrete,about 6 pavers long, and lay the pavers into the wet cement.
Rinse and repeat.
Use a rubber mallet and adjust your lines and levels as you go.
Inside curves are no problem with the edges butting together, but outside may need some mortar to look good.

Rod

Offline brickiematt

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Life member of the Silverton Hotel
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2015, 08:10:20 PM »
Pretty much as KB described is the easiest way for garden edging. Mud (the technical term for mortar!) them in and whether you butt them hard against each other or have a mortered joint is up to you aesthetics wise.
Put a battered edge of mud an inch or two up on the back of the pavers (garden side) just to hold them in a bit better.
For your mud, use a 6:1 ratio of bricksand and cement. Dont use the sh!t premixed bags from Bunnings etc, they're next to useless!
Have fun ;D
 :cheers:
Mitsubishi Pajero NT GLS
2015 Kimberley Kamper Classic

Offline dooguss

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Prado Power
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2015, 08:32:39 PM »
As Haines said dig a bit of a trench or a footing and lay a bit of wet cement 50-75mm thick and lay your paver in there and just tap it to the right height. Just make sure your concrete isn't to wet as they won't sit and as you go lay a bit of concrete on the outside of the paver (the exposed edge)  half way through your paver to lock them in that way. That way you can get some soil over the concrete edge and the grass will grow again
2006 Toyota Prado
2014 Stoney creek rear fold.

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2015, 09:47:21 PM »
At work we used to do similar to what's already been mentioned...dig the trench and pour wet concrete in it, screed it flat and lay pavers on top just butting them end to end, tap paver into concrete a tiny bit and then using the excess concrete sticking out beside paver you haunch it up either side of paver about halfway allowing for soil / turf to cover the rest.
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline baldheadedgit

• Hard Top Camper User
  • your shout.?.. I'll ave Arf.......!
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2015, 09:53:59 PM »
As all the others have said, trench, mud, butter the ends of the bricks or pavers as you go, but put some brick it's mesh in the trench, helps to keep it altogether ....

BHG

Poverty Pack.!

Offline baldheadedgit

• Hard Top Camper User
  • your shout.?.. I'll ave Arf.......!
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2015, 09:55:07 PM »
Brickies     lol bloody autocorrect    ;D

Poverty Pack.!

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2015, 11:23:00 PM »
Thanks guys awesome advise as expected.
Here for a good time, not a long time!

Jim

Offline MDS69

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2015, 08:59:32 AM »
I would be tempted to put motar in the perp joint ( well that is what it is if it was a vertical wall) to stop grass growing through into your garden especially if you have Kikuyu because that Shit gets everywhere it is not suppose to.