Author Topic: Torch Envy  (Read 52233 times)

Offline Kiwijohn

• Tent User
Torch Envy
« on: July 22, 2014, 09:19:49 PM »
Was camping a couple of weekends ago and a friend had a Dolphin Led torch. I love my "old" dolphins as they take a pounding - have even tied one a couple of meters under water to the anchor when I used to dive - but this leaves them for dead.

Before I go out there and buy one what else is out there, some requirements
- needs to be able to hammer in a nail
- cheap (eg. $25 or so) - I generally leave one behind every year or so.
- light
- 100 lumens
- water proof or close to it
- floats

Don't get me wrong I have my small led torches that I use around the camp site but I also like to have an all purpose one to use when fishing, boating, spotting for wild life etc.

On a side note any negatives of the Led compared to the "old" ones?

Thanks

John

« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 08:44:57 PM by Kiwijohn »

Offline Aaron Schubert

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • 4WDing Australia
Re: Torch Envy
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 08:16:05 AM »
Get one off eBay with the Cree LED's that uses 2 18650 batteries. They are rechargeable, and insanely bright, and about $25

Aaron
My Isuzu Dmax

Check out my blog at 4WDing Australia

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 08:22:13 AM »
l use a bike torch  LED & it takes 3 AAA batteries , slips vin the pocket easily ,nice & bright    :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline Patr80l

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 10:10:36 AM »
Was camping a couple of weekends ago and a friend had a Dolphin Led torch. I love my "old" dolphins as they take a pounding - have even tied one a couple of meters under water to the anchor when I used to dive - but this leaves them for dead.

- light
- 100 lumens
- water proof or close to it

Don't get me wrong I have my small led torches that I use around the camp site but I also like to have an all purpose one to use when fishing, boating, spotting for wild life etc.

On a side note any negatives of the Led compared to the "old" ones?

Thanks

John

Hammer torch??
http://www.magnamail.com.au/emergency-hammer.html?gclid=CNaThcCS2r8CFcQHvAodr0cABA

Jack of all trades, master of none.   
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 10:13:08 AM by Patr80l »
40, 80, GU, Touareg, GU, Touareg, 200

Offline Kiwijohn

• Tent User

Offline Kiwijohn

• Tent User
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2014, 07:43:44 PM »
Get one off eBay with the Cree LED's that uses 2 18650 batteries. They are rechargeable, and insanely bright, and about $25

Aaron

Aaron - can you post a link, have searched Cree led on eBay and get a lot of results

Offline Steffo1

• Hard Top Camper User
  • More I learn about women, more I like my ute
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2014, 07:52:38 PM »
I 've got several older Dolphin torches & they're more than enough for my uses. I mean, really, how far do you need to see with a torch, not counting "Bragging Rights"?
Steve
'93 4.2 TD 'Cruiser 'tilly
'08 TD V6 Disco 3
'10 16' Evernew Pop Top

"sit bonum tempora volvunt"

Offline marvellous_matt

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2014, 08:09:23 PM »
I have not had a hand torch in quite a while, there is a old mag light by the back door but that for banging burglars on the head not putting the bins out. I cant think of any job that is easier doing it one handed, except for shining a light in hard to reach underbonnet places, and a dolphin is usually a bit big for that anyway

I was working somewhere that sold LED Lenser (a brand name, expensive though good Quality) so I have a number of these, I did purchase a number of these style for my sister and her partner
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1800LM-Zoomable-CREE-XM-L-XML-T6-LED-18650-HeadLamp-Torch-HeadLight-Rechargeable-/131161675509?pt=AU_Sport_Camping_Hiking_Lamps_Torches&hash=item1e89d856f5&_uhb=1 and we were all impressed at the quality and performance. Its always a bit of a gamble getting things sight unseen from OS, however most people have pretty good stories. Usually through ebay the Chinese sellers will go a fair way to keep their 100% feedback rating(in my experience) You could look at LED lenser products in your local shops (lots of tool stores nowdays) however they will be 4 to 5 time the price for similar ebay bargains.

I think you will find that the light from a CREE led is very different to what you have had from a dolphin torch. To my way of thinking it is a bit like cleaning your Glasses (or sunglasses) when they have unknowing become grotty and being surprised that everything is easy to see again.

I think that taking a small gamble of $20 or so on any of the ebay torches or head torches will give you an idea about if they are the right thing for you. Be sure to let us know how you go.

Offline Kiwijohn

• Tent User
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2014, 08:32:08 PM »
I 've got several older Dolphin torches & they're more than enough for my uses. I mean, really, how far do you need to see with a torch, not counting "Bragging Rights"?
Steve
Agree - the old dolphins are great and will still have a couple of these lying around. We were using his for spotting wildlife in the trees around and I couldn't believe the distance it got - had the thought that it might be good to use when trying to spot all the tinnies sitting in the channel at night with no lights but that's for another forum.

Offline Kiwijohn

• Tent User
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2014, 08:43:01 PM »
I have not had a hand torch in quite a while, there is a old mag light by the back door but that for banging burglars on the head not putting the bins out. I cant think of any job that is easier doing it one handed, except for shining a light in hard to reach underbonnet places, and a dolphin is usually a bit big for that anyway

I was working somewhere that sold LED Lenser (a brand name, expensive though good Quality) so I have a number of these, I did purchase a number of these style for my sister and her partner
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1800LM-Zoomable-CREE-XM-L-XML-T6-LED-18650-HeadLamp-Torch-HeadLight-Rechargeable-/131161675509?pt=AU_Sport_Camping_Hiking_Lamps_Torches&hash=item1e89d856f5&_uhb=1 and we were all impressed at the quality and performance. Its always a bit of a gamble getting things sight unseen from OS, however most people have pretty good stories. Usually through ebay the Chinese sellers will go a fair way to keep their 100% feedback rating(in my experience) You could look at LED lenser products in your local shops (lots of tool stores nowdays) however they will be 4 to 5 time the price for similar ebay bargains.

I think you will find that the light from a CREE led is very different to what you have had from a dolphin torch. To my way of thinking it is a bit like cleaning your Glasses (or sunglasses) when they have unknowing become grotty and being surprised that everything is easy to see again.

I think that taking a small gamble of $20 or so on any of the ebay torches or head torches will give you an idea about if they are the right thing for you. Be sure to let us know how you go.

They look like a great headlamp - might have to get one when one of mine gives out.

I see the Dolphins use luxeon LEDs, how do these compare to CREE?

Offline Kiwijohn

• Tent User
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2014, 08:44:30 PM »
Just added new requirement - floats.

When fishing they always seem to end up in the water :)

Offline Jakster1

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2014, 08:58:03 PM »
Cool! I didnt even know that dolphin LED torches existed until now and I think I will go out and get one to replace my old dolphin.
I mainly use my rechargeable LED Lensor torches as they are insanely bright but are also dimmable and have adjustable beam ($$$)
But I have a soft spot for the dolphins and still have one that getS used on occasion.
They're big, easy to spot or find in the dark, can take a fair beating and don't mind getting wet. Good for camping and boating!
On a side note I find LED head torches the best for wildlife spotting as it reflects the critters eyes straight back at your face which you don't get with the handhelds.
Makes spotting too easy
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 09:01:49 PM by Jakster1 »
GU Patrol. Lifted Locked and Boosted
 Johnnos offroad deluxe -SOLD
 Dmax dual cab 4x4
 Jayco Eagle Outback

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2014, 09:27:06 PM »
Steve

Com on Steffo . I dream of one of these, just can't justify it.

Here for a good time, not a long time!

Jim

Offline MrEMan

• Swag User
    • Our Adventures
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2014, 09:43:51 PM »
Won't be any good as a hammer but ticks all the other boxes.
2000 Lumen
AAA Battery
500 meter range
Shock Resistant
Free delivery
NOT ebay
$7.11 US
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Aluminum-Zoomable-tactical-LED-Flashlight-1X-CREE-XM-L-T6-LED-5-switch-modes/1787472814.html
2002 Prado & 2014 Johnno's Off Road Deluxe

Offline woolgoolgaoffroad

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Hardfloor
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2014, 09:53:45 PM »
i have a few different ones, we do a bit of mountain bike riding at night around here and the best one I have is my nite light ( www.nitelights.com.au ).
Extremely bright
3 different settings
Great for those night time shots where you need to light up a tree or something in the background.

Kev

http://woolgoolgaoffroad.blogspot.com.au
Landcruiser + Ultra Breakaway

Offline Landyline

• Tent User
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2014, 10:15:42 PM »
You might also be able to buy LED replacement bulbs for your existing Dolphin torches.
Customline camper trailer

Offline chisel

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Lifestyle Extenda 2012, Landcruiser 100 TD 2006
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2014, 10:25:51 PM »

Well I dunno about the other requirements but you can often get 2D or 3D LED maglites on sale for around $30.  They will hammer the nail in and come back for more.

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2014, 08:36:41 AM »
You might also be able to buy LED replacement bulbs for your existing Dolphin torches.

here's a xenon bulb replacement:

http://www.bunnings.com.au/energizer-6v-xenon-torch-globe-_p4410258

i guess when a brand new led dolphin torch costs $23, maybe not worth the hassle?

http://www.bunnings.com.au/eveready-6v-waterproof-led-dolphin-torch_p4410450
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 08:49:57 AM by paceman »

Offline Beachman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2014, 09:02:41 AM »
I might look into a new dolphin LED as I like the waterproof part especially when in the boat.

I have a couple of small LED’s from Hong Kong and I love them as they are super bright, but seeing they are so small I can never remember which pocket I left them in. 

This was best of both worlds as for $23 is a cheap reliable torch. 

Offline nab

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2014, 12:16:01 PM »
Hard to beat the LED Dolphin torches, $23 at the green shed is hard to beat!
2005 Jayco Dove - sold
2003 Coromal Pioneer XC

Offline Aaron Schubert

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • 4WDing Australia
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2014, 07:43:06 PM »
My Isuzu Dmax

Check out my blog at 4WDing Australia

Offline Kiwijohn

• Tent User
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2014, 07:52:34 PM »
here's a xenon bulb replacement:

http://www.bunnings.com.au/energizer-6v-xenon-torch-globe-_p4410258

i guess when a brand new led dolphin torch costs $23, maybe not worth the hassle?

http://www.bunnings.com.au/eveready-6v-waterproof-led-dolphin-torch_p4410450

Paceman - these are the standard bulbs not LED, I couldn't find a LED replacement

Offline Kiwijohn

• Tent User
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2014, 07:55:03 PM »
i have a few different ones, we do a bit of mountain bike riding at night around here and the best one I have is my nite light ( www.nitelights.com.au ).
Extremely bright
3 different settings
Great for those night time shots where you need to light up a tree or something in the background.

Looks like a great light but a bit out of my price range, I would be scared to let the kids have it

Offline Hoyks

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2014, 08:02:34 PM »
I got a LED bulb for my 16 year old re-chargeable Dolphin at BigW.

It would be about as bright as the standard Xeon bulb, but lasts for days on the battery.