Author Topic: Roof top tents, thoughts?  (Read 4473 times)

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
Roof top tents, thoughts?
« on: January 11, 2014, 08:14:13 PM »
Hi all

Thinking about getting a roof top tent (RTT).  Read a good review on the gordigear. But I am wondering about the downsides.  What's it like 2 m in the air sleeping on a suspension system ? Iam thinking a lot of movement ? Or are they superior to a swag ( my preferred choice ) interested in swaggers thoughts.
Here for a good time, not a long time!

Jim

Offline dirtpilot

• Tent User
Re: Roof top tents, thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2014, 08:21:14 PM »
They are great. No movement when sleeping or doing other things. Downsides, ladder acess can be a bit so so if you have a few, can impact fuel economy and once set up car cannot be moved without packing up. Good things are easy to set up, lots more room than a swag, great views, off the ground, optional tent is great. Get a quality one like Hannibal or Howling Moon. I mounted mine on top of our camper. Can still transfer to car if needed.

Offline ATC

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2014, 08:34:06 PM »
I have an ARB Roof Top Tent on the BT-50.

First few times up / down the ladder might make you think twice, but you quickly get used to it.

Last trip Lisi & I headed out of Sydney aiming to get 4 hours out, pull up in the bush and set it up.

Once we stopped it was 5 minutes to get the tent up & be in it.
Just make sure you park on level ground.

2nd night the ground had a slight slope, I just parked on a MaxTraxx to level it up.

Brought mine 2nd hand, about $950 including the annex that goes around the base.

One tip, is to make sure you have a least 1 window open, it's a lot smaller space than the Blackwolf 300Plus that we also use so it can get a bit of condensation in side it.

I'll thow some photos up when I'm on a laptop.

In short, awesome

Offline DannyG

• Hard Top Camper User
  • The best way to predict the future is to create it
    • Oz Isuzu Forum
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2014, 08:41:32 PM »
Hi Jim
Pretty much everything the others have already said if you do go the way of a RTT.

However we just sold ours and we are going to buy a quick erect touring tent and self inflating mattress to replace it. The reason being is the RTT was only good for us when we were pulling up stumps for a night and packing up the next morning. Not being able to set up camp and use the 4wd was a pain for us. But that is the only negative.

Not a virus, not a re-install, not a format, not an issue since 2011..once you go mac you never go back

Oz Isuzu Forums
My Trailer Build

Offline fishfinder

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2014, 06:11:49 AM »
Hi Jim
Pretty much everything the others have already said if you do go the way of a RTT.

However we just sold ours and we are going to buy a quick erect touring tent and self inflating mattress to replace it. The reason being is the RTT was only good for us when we were pulling up stumps for a night and packing up the next morning. Not being able to set up camp and use the 4wd was a pain for us. But that is the only negative.
I think there may be another negative
2004 Jayco Eagle Outback - 1999 Toyota Prado Snowy

Offline areyonga

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2014, 08:53:25 AM »
Have just gone through the decision process of a RTT and opted for an Oztent due to the flexibility of being able to use the vehicle without packing up, and also getting up at 2am feeling tired and unsteady on the legs was the clintcher.  I looked at most brands and would have settled on the combo RTT from Kulkayne Kampers as it suited my needs and budget, but now will probably buy the RV3 Oztent from the same place as it was $120 cheaper than BCF
Toyota Landcruiser 200, Olympic Marathon 22.6 van

Offline rodw

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2014, 07:37:11 PM »
Have just gone through the decision process of a RTT and opted for an Oztent due to the flexibility of being able to use the vehicle without packing up, and also getting up at 2am feeling tired and unsteady on the legs was the clintcher.  I looked at most brands and would have settled on the combo RTT from Kulkayne Kampers as it suited my needs and budget, but now will probably buy the RV3 Oztent from the same place as it was $120 cheaper than BCF

X2, climbed up the ladder of one at a show years ago and the thought of climbing up and down at my age left me cold. Bought an Oz Tent and then upgraded to a Coromal Poptop!

Offline Hodgies

• Tent User
  • Hodgies
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2014, 07:45:01 PM »
Good decision, we bought a RTT for the cape, was excellent but in hindsight wished we had purchased the oztent.
Main reason being packing up each time we wanted to explore.
2011 Ford Ranger
2001 K.K

Offline cyberess

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2014, 08:06:22 PM »
I use a light weight Roof Top tent on a light weight camper trailer --  which is like a so called Cot tent  --  I don't think that these are available any more..

Yes i put that together 3 years ago  ..  and it's been great.

I Documented my camper build at http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=12356.0 

In the process I scored a double Cot tent -- or roof top tent for free  --  and I have been using that as well

You could try a Cot tent, they are just so easy and your off the ground  -- When my roof top tent wears out -- it's probably what I will use to replace it.

http://www.bcf.com.au/Products/TentGuide/RapidPitchTents/DoubleTentCot.aspx

Kamprite Tent Cot Double - Tent Guide - BCF Small | Large

Might be able to set up on a trailer  as well ..  or just use it on the ground. ;)

Just ideas.

:cheers: