Author Topic: Epirb marine ones can be used on land too?  (Read 7515 times)

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
Epirb marine ones can be used on land too?
« on: December 22, 2013, 08:00:34 AM »
Just checking, yesterday when looking at an epirb (KIT brand) they indicated that theirs can be used on water and land unlike their competitors?  I was going to get a MT400 GME for the boat and also wanted it to backup for the car. The boat doesn't really go more than 2nm offshore but its better to be safe.

Anyone know if theirs an issue with marine units going on land?
Here for a good time, not a long time!

Jim

Offline Mik01

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • Scenic Rim 4x4
Re: Epirb marine ones can be used on land too?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2013, 02:24:23 PM »
No problems. It's the other way around that's the problem - ie you are not allowed to use a PLB for marine activities (as a substitute for where an epirb is required for marine activity), but you can use a marine epirb for land activities instead of a PLB.
Make sure you register it though. If they can't raise you by phone to check for a false alarm, they will respond.
Also consider spending the extra dollars for a GPS model. Narrows the search radius considerably, and just may save your life - what's another $200 or so, considering....
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 02:28:15 PM by Mik01 »
Contact me for special MySwag prices on 4x4 accessories!
http://scenicrim4x4.com.au

Offline LC

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2013, 02:58:06 PM »
I think you will find all EPIRBS these days are GPS models (although I could be wrong) , after all the whole point of them is to tell the rescue people where you are.

As long as they can see the sky they will work, it makes no difference whether you are on land or water, but obvioulsy the marine ones are waterproof to some degree.
MY 2016 200 series Sahara
2016 Lifestyle Reconn

Offline Mik01

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • Scenic Rim 4x4
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2013, 03:09:39 PM »
I think you will find all EPIRBS these days are GPS models (although I could be wrong) , after all the whole point of them is to tell the rescue people where you are.

As long as they can see the sky they will work, it makes no difference whether you are on land or water, but obvioulsy the marine ones are waterproof to some degree.

Sorry mate, that's not correct. The inbuilt GPS model is different to the standard 406 epirb.
Read about the 403 and 403g - http://www.gme.net.au/products/emergency-beacons/epirbs/MT403G

The difference between them is a 5km search radius vs 100m radius. That's a big difference for a couple hundred $$.

Offline Diver

• Tent User
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2013, 04:02:29 PM »
I have an inbuilt GPS that I take boating.  I specifically wanted the 100 metre radius 'cause if I am floating to a white esky in the middle of the night in rough seas there is no way I want a 5km search pattern.

And yes I take it when going bush.  A serious medical issue or such would save a few hours or days waiting for someone to come along.

Offline Bill

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2013, 04:03:21 PM »
No problems. It's the other way around that's the problem - ie you are not allowed to use a PLB for marine activities (as a substitute for where an epirb is required for marine activity), but you can use a marine epirb for land activities instead of a PLB.
This is not entirely true of all PLB's either.
I have a PLB (with GPS) that can be used as a marine or on land.
When I registered it I had to give my full boat and Navara details.
Bill
"The problem with the world is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"
-unknown

Offline Mik01

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • Scenic Rim 4x4
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2013, 04:15:26 PM »
This is not entirely true of all PLB's either.
I have a PLB (with GPS) that can be used as a marine or on land.
When I registered it I had to give my full boat and Navara details.
Bill

Bill, a PLB can be used on water during marine activities, you are correct.

A PLB is not a substitute for an epirb, where an epirb is required to be used for marine activities - ie offshore boating.

It is not legal to take your PLB out of smooth or partially smooth waters in QLD and use it instead of a proper marine epirb.

http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/safety/Epirbs.aspx

Offline LC

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2013, 01:37:32 AM »
Sorry mate, that's not correct. The inbuilt GPS model is different to the standard 406 epirb.
Read about the 403 and 403g - http://www.gme.net.au/products/emergency-beacons/epirbs/MT403G

The difference between them is a 5km search radius vs 100m radius. That's a big difference for a couple hundred $$.

There you go I was unaware of that - I work in the marine industry and have only ever dealt with 406 EPIRBS. I agree I would not waste my money buying a non-GPS model. With the cost of GPS receivers these days, anything without a GPS receiver shouldn't be allowed IMO.
MY 2016 200 series Sahara
2016 Lifestyle Reconn

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2013, 04:38:18 AM »
Thanks all. Bought the GME 406G unit yesterday.
Here for a good time, not a long time!

Jim