Author Topic: Rear wheel carriers 2 wheels or Jerry and wheel?  (Read 12509 times)

Offline dazzler

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Power Power Power
Re: Rear wheel carriers 2 wheels or Jerry and wheel?
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2012, 05:49:43 PM »

If you install one of these;

http://thelongranger.com.au/4wdfueltanks.html

and buy one of these;

http://www.tyrepliers.com.au/New/products.html

and some inner tubes to fit your tow vehicle and trailer you will save weight, can carry waaaaay more  fuel and can keep both on the road.

My alternative to cheap import trailers;

http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=36094.msg578367#msg578367

Offline Teabag

• The bush is my playground......
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "Better to be looking at it than looking for it"
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2012, 06:35:18 PM »
If you install one of these;

http://thelongranger.com.au/4wdfueltanks.html

and buy one of these;

http://www.tyrepliers.com.au/New/products.html

and some inner tubes to fit your tow vehicle and trailer you will save weight, can carry waaaaay more  fuel and can keep both on the road.

I have both of the above also........hmmmmmm........To many gadgets.......:-)
2006 GU4 4.2TDi Patrol with many goodies. Currently no camper but have had a Customline Camper, Kimberly Kamper and Jayco Hawk....Tenting and Swagging it now..

Offline GeeTee

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • GT Campers premium off-road trailers and Toyota Hilux Expedition conversions
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2012, 09:46:05 AM »
Yeah they do but at least you can do something about it (GVM upgrade). Most modern 4x4 have a problem with GVM, IIRC the Patrol is bad too espicially the TI model, actually i think there was a post a while ago where the Pajero has one off the best of the bunch ;-)

Not many 4WDs have a problem with GVM, the 'problem' is owners expecting too much of the vehicle they have chosen to buy, and/or then throwing catalogues' worth of heavy hardware such as steel carriers for carrying an extra tyre ;)

GVM upgrade may sort out the 'legalities' for insurance purposes but does nothing to prevent heavy accessories taking its toll on a vehicle's chassis rails, clutches/trans and wheel bearings
HTH

GT Campers: Off-road touring trailer or Toyota Hilux Expedition
Purpose-designed and built off-road touring vehicles. Innovation not imitation!
Find us on Facebook

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2012, 08:12:23 PM »
Sorry GT I disagree when 7 seat 4bs capable of carrying a 150 litres of fuel fitted with manufacturers approved optioned bullbars, winches and towbars designed to take 300kg download are sold with <700kg payload the problem is the manufacturers. I don't see the manufacturers plastering the vehicle with warning stickers? That's because it would affect sales. Yes we have a responsibility to address this, hence the GVM upgrades we can get. But really what a joke, pay Lovell or ARB a riduclous sum and few springs later the 4b is fit for another 500kg!!
Here for a good time, not a long time!

Jim

Offline GeeTee

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2012, 09:59:31 AM »
well, I reckon the problem is with people getting all excited about buying a new 4WD and 'Living the Dream' and spending $20,000 at the 4WD shop and yet not doing some simple Year 5-grade maths homework with regard to what is listed in the vehicle specifications... weight is weight and there is alimit to what a vehicle is designed to carry.

It's all there written down in black and white, by law/regulation.

It's especially bad with newcomers to camping/travelling who think buying equipment is like 'buying' expertise and experience. The consequences are often broken vehicles, broken dreams, no warranty and a huuuge towing and repair bill

FWIW my GT campers carry weight 'warning' stickers. As far as I am aware I am the only manufacturer - car or trailer/caravan - to do this but I feel it is important as a guide for my customers 

Find us on Facebook

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2012, 10:32:00 AM »
well, I reckon the problem is with people getting all excited about buying a new 4WD and 'Living the Dream' and spending $20,000 at the 4WD shop and yet not doing some simple Year 5-grade maths homework with regard to what is listed in the vehicle specifications... weight is weight and there is alimit to what a vehicle is designed to carry.

what like this http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=26576.0
towball weights are overrated
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 10:47:31 AM by Lost »
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2012, 10:53:10 AM »
There is no doubt owners need to take some responsibility but as I listed above the manufacturers and aftermarket companies are complicit. By the nature of there business they Are "experts" in that field and that makes them responsible under law. As I pilot Iam well aware of loads and balances and the training that's given in that area, drivers don't get that. Try talking to my wife or joe average about GVM etc etc and they have no idea, she just says Toyota sell them with towbars! As I mentioned above a 200 can go over the GVM just as Toyota supply it out of the showroom floor with full tanks and a load of people! So I reckon they have some ownership in this.

And that's not to say I agree with the ridiculous laws we have today that make people reponisable for nothing it just that manufacturers need to be more responsible. Raise the GVm or limit the seating.
Here for a good time, not a long time!

Jim

Offline GeeTee

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2012, 12:09:08 PM »
we're on the same path but my point is: It's up to owners/operators to comply with manufacturers' maximum loads. If someone wants to overload a vehicle due to ignorance/stupidity or arrogance, that's an owner/operator probem NOT the manufacturers'.

Manufacturers have clearly published limits - websites, sales documents and owners manuals. It's usually not too far from Power and Torque outputs which everyone seems to find easily... Yep, for the 200 series, too ;)

Accesories, fuel and and people are loads.

Unfortunately consumer/buyer behaviour is to try 'live the dream' rather than 'buy the reality' and it is only experiecne (often hard-won and expensive experience!) that changes this common trait of human nature.

Every few weeks, it seems, there is someone on here and other web forums bleating about a broken chassis or suspension and saying 'Oh, but I thought my Mighty Boy could carry 4.4 tonnes... after all, it is a ute and it should carry a load... ' Or, 'But the salesman sold it to me, surely it's OK... sob, sob' 

Lost - yep that Rodeo/fifth wheeler link (and Commodore pic) is a great example. Ol' Mate probably bought the fifth wheeler on size to impress his mates, and the ute on price because he over-spent on the rig.

Year 5 maths... easy.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 12:17:30 PM by GeeTee »

Find us on Facebook