Author Topic: wind power generator  (Read 2948 times)

Offline Champin

• Soft Floor Camper User
wind power generator
« on: November 27, 2016, 07:50:28 AM »
Not a new idea but a definite improvement by the people that should know such things. Iceland power generation comes from 100% renewable energy. If you google VAWT you can see it doesn't have to be the ugly cut in half 44's of old but can be more apealing in an arty kind of way.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Wlxz-KzebbQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
I might have to retire to the cave an see if I can knock up a small version for my pond pump. Thing is...I can do the steel work but lack in the electrical side. Such as what generator to connect to it.

Offline sparkieqld

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: wind power generator
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2016, 08:21:55 AM »
Depends on your budget I guess.
But id suggest one of those low output permanent magnet alternators of small engines such as Kubota as a starting point if you want it to last, but wont be cheap, and will need a reasonable amount of input power to turn.

A cheaper alternative would be a windscreen wiper motor off a late 80's commodore with a ball bearing on the output end of the armature. Cut away the reduction gear housing and drive the armature directly. Will have to keep the bush end of the shaft well lubricated.

Any small permanent magnet motor will work as a generator, but if you want a storage battery then you need to think about regulation and reverse current.

The higher the voltage ie 24 volt the motor is the sooner it will produce power at lower revs but not produce as much current, if you really get into it and the budget allows, get the armature rewound so suit your parameters.
I can be a cranky old bugga so if I offended anyone I apologize, but you probably deserved it.

Offline Champin

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2016, 09:05:26 AM »
12v Volt DC 300W Permanent Magnet Motor Generator Wind Turbine PMA Hydo Pelton
What about using something like this? Are they any good?

Offline Champin

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2016, 09:08:46 AM »
Would an MPPT regulator work with a wind generator?

Offline sparkieqld

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2016, 10:02:14 AM »
Most solar regulator manufacturers state only to be used with PV panels. The output from a commutated generator is not pure DC, it has a slight sawtooth pattern.
I can be a cranky old bugga so if I offended anyone I apologize, but you probably deserved it.

Offline HKB Electronics

• Hard Top Camper User
  • www.hkbelect.com
    • HKB Electronics
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2016, 10:16:32 AM »
Would an MPPT regulator work with a wind generator?

MPPT are tuned for solar panels, also with many small wind generators the controller acts as a brake when required to prevent the wind turbine being damaged in high winds, ie it loads up the turbine to slow it down.

Up market wind turbines also have blade feathering and can adjust the "wind vane" for to reduce the blade speed.
HKB Electronics, manufacturer of the Alternator Voltage Boosters

AdrianLR

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2016, 01:02:10 PM »
Fisher and Paykel washing machine motors are very popular. This is an example: http://www.rippleephex.com.au/energy1.html

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2016, 11:34:20 PM »
Council house hold rubbish pick days see heaps of Electric tread mills thrown out for collection .. Can get a good DC  motor out of one of them, though they do need to be spun at about 750 + rpm to get up to the 12V range Ive been told . .
« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 12:23:14 AM by edz »
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "