Author Topic: Wind, not the fart kind  (Read 1814 times)

Offline The punter

• "avoiding grey nomads since 2011"
  • Hard Floor Camper User
Wind, not the fart kind
« on: December 26, 2015, 11:25:20 PM »
Having just had to bail on a great spot by the beach because the wind turned to 50k southwesterly, what if anything do people do to deal with it? The camper was fine but a lot of buffeting of the soft walls of the pop top and it kept us up a lot of the night. We had to pack just about everything away as the wind got worse in the afternoon.
13 FJ Cruiser
15 Lifestyle Reconn
1980 HJ45

Offline cruiser 91

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: Wind, not the fart kind
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2015, 06:07:14 AM »
Wind is our worst enemy when camping, especially when camped on sand or dirt.
I always check wind forecast on "willyweather" and avoid any sand or dirt if the wind will be up, even if it means cancelling or leaving a day later or so.

We always have our OB Jayco camper entry facing away from the breeze with canvas skirt. Our camper sits 750mm high.
Hell's Gate, Worlds End, South Australia.
The following users thanked this post: The punter

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2015, 09:02:50 AM »
We beach camp Fraser Isl a lot and the winds are usualy a consistant NE or SE, so we set up as best we can with the camper end walls facing the winds, being backed by high dunes also helps, still makes for  wild sleepless nights in 40+ knt storm winds though ..
One thing that was the biggest movement makers  for us was the hip shaped awning acting like a wing ..Would have been a lot better if it was a flat type awning.
Regardless of weather [ Short of a cyclone of course ] we go camping, just takes a bit longer to set up sometimes is all .
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "
The following users thanked this post: The punter

Offline JohnT

• Tent User
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2015, 04:54:11 PM »
I have just cut short my 4 days away (one got 2) because of the wind. We were getting up to 40km/hr winds from about 4pm until 4am for the first two days. Today wasnt looking any better. The camper did well to withstand the wind but its keeps me and the wife up all night so we sleep during the fine daytime weather.

Decided to pull up stumps and head home.