Author Topic: Wind up in transfer case / gear box  (Read 5807 times)

Offline lochgilphead

• Tent User
  • Disgruntled by work; Gruntled by camping
Wind up in transfer case / gear box
« on: August 03, 2014, 08:58:24 PM »
Well just realised I drove over 200k with the beast in 4WD.  Indication for 4WD is a split second indicator on the dash and that's it.  Not making any noise or seem to be causing any grief but should I be looking for some issues now?

Years ago I remember being warned about wind up from driving in 4WD on normal roads.  Is that in the transfer case or gear box?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Mac and Jen - Isuzu MUX with some small mods towing a Rhinomax Discovery. This is our rig until we stop travelling!!

scarps

Re: Wind up in transfer case / gear box
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2014, 09:05:41 PM »
What brand/age 4wd?

Offline ATC

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2014, 09:42:22 PM »
I'm guessing an Isuzu MUX.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 08:39:15 AM by ATC »

Offline Black Diamond

• "IF IT HAS TITS OR WHEELS IT WILL GIVE YOU TROUBLE........"
  • 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Cruisin through Life in the 80.......
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2014, 10:43:45 PM »
Are we talking straight line driving? Wind up generally happens when turning sharp in 4wd and when it does you will know when it happens.
1996 80 series Cruiser
2005 Coota Camper - The legend lives on.....

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2014, 10:57:19 PM »
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline xcvator

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2014, 11:07:15 PM »
Are we talking straight line driving? Wind up generally happens when turning sharp in 4wd and when it does you will know when it happens.
x123456789
spending the kids inheritance as fast as I can

tug 2018 Isuzu Mux LSU
1999 se diesel Jackaroo
July 10/2012  outback campers "Tanami"
New Age "Little Joey"

Offline doc evil

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2014, 09:27:50 AM »
Depends if the centre diff was locked.

I'm old school and still lock hubs in............. ;D however, as far as I'm aware, the newer current crop of so called 4wd's need the centre diff locked to engage a 50/50 4wd split.

2005 4.2TD ST Patrol 4 door ute, lifted, locked, ARB barred and Warn winched, 33" Cooper ST Maxx.....and a denco turbo upgrade! mmmm power.....

Offline duggie

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Dont you just love it.
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2014, 01:41:35 PM »
Normally you will get wind up or binding in your front diff when turning tight corners on bitumen roads, very rare will you get any binding/wind up on dirt roads as the loose dirt allows slippage to the wheels/tyres , you will feel the steering getting heavy and sometimes you may hear the tyres making fighting/scratching sound.

This will only occur if your front wheel are locked either by free wheel hubs or center lock engaged , I have driven many times, many kilometres with the hubs in lock and I have never  damaged any component in my vehicles, but I do drive Nissan's.  ;D

cheers duggie.

Ps, I do drive all dirt roads in four wheel drive with the hubs in lock as this gives better handling, more grip on corners and way better tyre life as all the tyres are sharing the drive.
" Old Nissans Just Keep On Truckin On "

Offline lochgilphead

• Tent User
  • Disgruntled by work; Gruntled by camping
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2014, 06:27:46 PM »
Yep, in the MUX.  It changes from 2WD to 4WD with a switch only.  No locking in of hubs etc.  I noticed the noise when I got home and started to manoeuvre the trailer.  Generally straight roads on the way home with a few curves thrown in.  I can't hear any noise when it is on full lock in either direction and I did some reversing before I changed mode.  It certainly switches freely between 2WD and 4WD. Perhaps I have been lucky.
Mac and Jen - Isuzu MUX with some small mods towing a Rhinomax Discovery. This is our rig until we stop travelling!!

Offline Darcy7

• Hard Top Camper User
  • The plumage doesn't enter into it.....!
    • RVeeThereYet.com
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2014, 03:28:40 PM »
Yep, in the MUX.  It changes from 2WD to 4WD with a switch only.  No locking in of hubs etc.  I noticed the noise when I got home and started to manoeuvre the trailer.  Generally straight roads on the way home with a few curves thrown in.  I can't hear any noise when it is on full lock in either direction and I did some reversing before I changed mode.  It certainly switches freely between 2WD and 4WD. Perhaps I have been lucky.

If you cannot hear any noises, the 4WD actuation works freely and when you disengage 4wd, the indicator light on the dash goes out within a second or so, then I'd say you've been extremely lucky.  :cup:

Visit our blog at WWW.RVeeThereYet.com

Offline Traveller

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2014, 04:46:27 PM »
Driving back from Cape Leveque recently we were flagged down by a car load of tourists in a Pajero (about 10 years old at a guess, the Pajero not them). They had been driving on the beach at Lombadina and had forgotten to take it out of low range (?) until they had driven about 3 kilometres on the bitumen. The transfer case was jammed in and we couldn't shift it. There were 5 vehicles stopped in the end trying to help them out. Had them backing up, driving in circles, back and forward on the gravel verge, and even investigated if we bash out external linkages on the transfer case but there weren't any to be seen. Nothing worked, and with our limited knowledge, we couldn't help them out. They were going to go back to Lombadina and phone for help.

Does anyone know what to do in this case?

Offline RebsWA

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2014, 09:34:50 PM »
Wind up occurs on the entire drive train, axles, diffs, tailshafts, transfer case, the lot cos all four wheels travel a different distance when not steering in a straight line.
If the car is driving OK, no strange noises and shifts between 2 & 4wd OK then I wouldn't be concerned.
You don't stop laughing because you grow old
You grow old because you stop laughing

2006 TD LandCruiser Troopy LX  -  2015 Jayco Starcraft Outback (a Caravan...)

Offline RebsWA

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2014, 09:39:17 PM »
Driving back from Cape Leveque recently we were flagged down by a car load of tourists in a Pajero (about 10 years old at a guess, the Pajero not them). They had been driving on the beach at Lombadina and had forgotten to take it out of low range (?) until they had driven about 3 kilometres on the bitumen. The transfer case was jammed in and we couldn't shift it. There were 5 vehicles stopped in the end trying to help them out. Had them backing up, driving in circles, back and forward on the gravel verge, and even investigated if we bash out external linkages on the transfer case but there weren't any to be seen. Nothing worked, and with our limited knowledge, we couldn't help them out. They were going to go back to Lombadina and phone for help.

Does anyone know what to do in this case?

If the reason was wind up lifting the front wheels off the ground releases the pressure and the shift should work as normal.
You don't stop laughing because you grow old
You grow old because you stop laughing

2006 TD LandCruiser Troopy LX  -  2015 Jayco Starcraft Outback (a Caravan...)

Offline Traveller

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2014, 10:55:07 AM »
If the reason was wind up lifting the front wheels off the ground releases the pressure and the shift should work as normal.

Thanks for that, I certainly didn't think to do it.

Offline Cruiser 105Tvan

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Another Tvan owner.
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2014, 11:52:37 AM »
Lifting the vehicle can fix it.
You have to be careful, when you get the vehicle close to the point of slippage.
It WILL spin the wheel(s) FORCEFULLY.
Keeping the spinning  tyre touching the ground and giving it some resistance helps. 
Just Lifting the vehicle and letting it spin isn't the best idea though.
Driving the vehicle in reverse usually works best and gentlest.
Robert. 
VK3PPC, VZU641.
2000 FZJ105r bars,
HDJ105r Bars F&R, VRS Winch, ATZ. P3's, a cupla 2 ways as well.
and 2009 Canning Tvan pushing.