Author Topic: Winch Help  (Read 3647 times)

Offline Bunyip

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Lucky to have such a supportive SWMBO as LB
Winch Help
« on: February 18, 2013, 07:43:36 PM »
Hi guys,

We got a Tigers11 12000lb winch with our 100 Series.

I turn the winch on (red turning connection near the battery) and plug in the controller to the top of the winch. I made sure the spool was engaged and then pressed the OUT button. I can hear a click but nothing happens. Turned the spool to free and let out about a foot of cord, then engaged again and pressed the IN button. Once again a click and nothing else.

Being a winch novice is there anything that I am missing, or is there an issue with the winch?

Bunyip
2002 Landcruiser GXV

Offline Mrs smith

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: Winch Help
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 07:58:15 PM »
If it has a switch on the solenoid box thats the first place I'd be looking, these switches are
very poor quality. Failing that the next would be the solenoid it's self if all other conections are
sound.

Offline Darren253

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 08:04:16 PM »
Bunyip,

I've had exactly the same problem with my Tigerz winch in the past. It was corrosion in the contactor. The coil would pull the contactor together (the click) but corrosion, rust and lack of lube would inhibit the two plates from actually making on one side. It kind of got wedged at an angle...

I pulled it all apart, gave all the components a rub down with wet & dry 600 back to clean metal, rebuilt with half a tube of silicon grease and (touch wood) it's worked fine ever since. Ps, mine was less than a year old when this happened. The shop I bought it from didn't want to know as Tigerz had pissed him off by selling online direct. No reply from Tigerz... Been working ok for 2 years now.
2013 LC200 Altitude
2014 CC Exodus 14

Offline Mrs smith

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 08:31:09 PM »
Bunyip,

I've had exactly the same problem with my Tigerz winch in the past. It was corrosion in the contactor. The coil would pull the contactor together (the click) but corrosion, rust and lack of lube would inhibit the two plates from actually making on one side. It kind of got wedged at an angle...

I pulled it all apart, gave all the components a rub down with wet & dry 600 back to clean metal, rebuilt with half a tube of silicon grease and (touch wood) it's worked fine ever since. Ps, mine was less than a year old when this happened. The shop I bought it from didn't want to know as Tigerz had pissed him off by selling online direct. No reply from Tigerz... Been working ok for 2 years now.

Yep that'd be the fix for the solenoid, there's not much in there to go wrong if moistures
kept out.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 08:37:22 PM by Mrs smith »

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 08:33:56 PM »
Yep they are just crap
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline JU5T1N

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2013, 09:01:20 PM »
or upgrade the solenoid to an Albright, this is also a how to.
Small | Large

Nissan whore:
Nissan Patrol GUramax (Stripped by ADC)
Nissan Skyline R33 GTR V-spec 480awkw
Nissan Skyline R34 GTR M-spec 830awkw (NOW SOLD)

Offline Bunyip

• Hard Floor Camper User
Winch Help
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2013, 09:41:09 PM »
Thanks guys, sounds like what I thought. Sounds like a rebuild, don't suppose I can do any more damage.

Bunyip
2002 Landcruiser GXV

Offline kiwipete

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2013, 02:04:39 PM »
I wanted to avoid this sort of problem by moving the control box away from the front of the 80 and up under the bonnet...   I also spent about a $100 on new heavy gauge power leads as the Chinese power leads seem a little light for my liking... 

KiwiPete
1991 HDJ80
Explorer Campers & Canvas - Lawson Off Road
http://www.explorercampers.com.au/
Canberra

Offline Bunyip

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2013, 12:42:37 PM »
Thanks Guys,

BigJules spent a few hours going over the new 100 Series for me today and it turns out the problem with the winch turned out to be a dead battery no providing enough juice.

Winch works perfectly.

Bunyip
2002 Landcruiser GXV

Offline BigJules

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Just Cruisin' - I wish...
    • I'm so much cooler online :D
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2013, 12:56:43 PM »
Once you've got the second battery checked (and replaced most likely) I still think you'll be connecting the winch to the RHS (main) battery in any case.
Julian
Land Cruiser V8 + Trackabout Safari SV Extenda
MySwag Gallery, Photobucket
Sydney Agent for www.trackabout.com.au
Mallee Gear - Tough as nails

Offline Mrs smith

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2013, 01:36:59 PM »
Good to hear. 

Offline GanG

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • NEDSA
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2013, 02:55:43 PM »
I wanted to avoid this sort of problem by moving the control box away from the front of the 80 and up under the bonnet...   I also spent about a $100 on new heavy gauge power leads as the Chinese power leads seem a little light for my liking...
Did that on the pootrol with my Aldi winch..........didn't help, it has spat a solenoid now I think, and only been used twice :(
Light travels faster than sound............that's why some folks may appear bright until they speak