Author Topic: winch recovery,ground anchors  (Read 8550 times)

Offline PradoProud

• Learning the Ropes
winch recovery,ground anchors
« on: January 28, 2012, 09:50:51 AM »
I have just put a winch on the front of the Prado and was wondering what do you guys use as an anchor when there are no trees around?

Offline cewilson

• Tent User
    • cewilson
Re: winch recovery,ground anchors
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2012, 10:01:15 AM »
It really comes down to how often you drive by yourselves.  You can bury your spare tyre if needed or use a set of Maxtrax and you might not need to winch.

Anchors do have their place, but do your research.  Some work better than others, and generally the good ones are quite heavy and bulky to store. 

BTW, welcome.....
1998 Trak Shak
200tDi Defender
90 series Prado, gas/petrol

Offline welchygq

• "I came, I saw, I locked the hubs"
  • Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2012, 10:23:53 AM »
Hey cewilson,

I race in winch challenge events and in my opinion, not starting an argument, the only anchor that works is the ground grabber.  But they are heavy and bulky to store.

Welchy

Offline BigJules

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Just Cruisin' - I wish...
    • I'm so much cooler online :D
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2012, 10:50:39 AM »
Welcome to MySwag. The first choice for an anchor, if no trees are available, is going to be your mate's 4wby. When I'm traveling alone, I tend to be more cautious, because having to bury the spare wheel in any kind of terrain would ruin my day, and possibly my marriage.

Unless you're deadset on taking the hard path on your own I think you'll get better value spending your money on something other than a heavy ground anchor. If you do get that stuck, please video it and post it here  ;D.
Julian
Land Cruiser V8 + Trackabout Safari SV Extenda
MySwag Gallery, Photobucket
Sydney Agent for www.trackabout.com.au
Mallee Gear - Tough as nails

Offline cewilson

• Tent User
    • cewilson
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2012, 11:11:35 AM »
Hey cewilson,

I race in winch challenge events and in my opinion, not starting an argument, the only anchor that works is the ground grabber.  But they are heavy and bulky to store.

Welchy

G'day Welchy - I couldn't think of the brand name when I was typing, hence why I said 'some brands are better than others'......

Big Red, Norm Needham etc were the ones that were telling me about them.  Gave them a good wrap too

Cheers
Chris
1998 Trak Shak
200tDi Defender

Offline LJs GU

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • My Camel has 3 little humps...
    • The Jackson 5 On Tour
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2012, 11:49:14 AM »
X2 for Maxtrax... Best value for money extraction device around.
LJ
I'm not so good with advice... can I interest you in a sarcastic comment?

Offline Bennlexx

• Swag User
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2012, 03:38:39 PM »
If you travel with another vehicle you usually have an anchor (the other vehicle).  If you're on your own then something like Maxtrax can be a great recovery addition.  I wouldn't be carrying a heavy ground anchor for the unlikely situation you describe.  I'd be burying the spare tyre as an anchor.

2003 Aussie Swag Rover Ultra & 2012 Prado GXL D4D

Offline welchygq

• "I came, I saw, I locked the hubs"
  • Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2012, 07:55:18 PM »
If you travel with another vehicle you usually have an anchor (the other vehicle).  If you're on your own then something like Maxtrax can be a great recovery addition.  I wouldn't be carrying a heavy ground anchor for the unlikely situation you describe.  I'd be burying the spare tyre as an anchor.

Ever had to do this? - can be bloody hard work  ;D

Welchy

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • If 1 turbo is good, 2 must be better. VK3GJG
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2012, 08:00:49 PM »
Throw in a couple of star pegs in your recovery bag, unless you are on the beach

GG

Offline Symon

• Big sparks r us
  • Electrimagician
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • www.phased.com.au
    • Web Server in a Box Project
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2012, 07:28:10 AM »
In your kit throw in 3 round pickets (easier to get out than star ones), a sledgehammer and some 12mm rope.

That is all you need.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using Tapatalk
Do not PM me for technical advice - start a thread.
HDJ79 Ute - 100 Series Sahara - 2002 Kimberley Kamper - No ATS yet - Survivor of 5 McGirr trips-Cape 09,11,12,14 & Gulf 13

Offline dazzler

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Power Power Power
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2012, 08:28:57 AM »
I have just put a winch on the front of the Prado and was wondering what do you guys use as an anchor when there are no trees around?

And how do you winch backwards?
My alternative to cheap import trailers;

http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=36094.msg578367#msg578367

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2012, 08:34:52 AM »
And how do you winch backwards?

I was waiting for some smarty pants to bring this up :)

Oh and Maxtrax are pretty much useless in the VIC High Country as most of the time you're stuck due to lack of clearance. If your wheel is in the air Maxtrax won't help you. If however you want to buy some I have a set of the new shape never used for sale :)
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline Bennlexx

• Swag User
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2012, 11:17:39 AM »
Ever had to do this? - can be bloody hard work 

In response to Welchy, I've only done it once, on a training weekend to see that it could be done and yes it is a bloody hard job.  In reality I always travel with at least one other vehicle when in remote country.  Travelling like that we've only had to use a winch for recovery a few times in 25 years.  A snatchem strap usually does the job of getting a vehicle out of trouble.  Having said that I probably am not in extreme conditions as often as some.

A hand winch will winch backwards but that's bloody hard work too.

Like the idea of star pickets but that's something more to carry.

2003 Aussie Swag Rover Ultra & 2012 Prado GXL D4D

Offline dazzler

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Power Power Power
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2012, 11:38:21 AM »
I was waiting for some smarty pants to bring this up :)

;D

There was a great discussion on one of the forums about this a year or so ago.  Including youtube clips and all.

Being serious, if you are on your own then you MUST have a tirfor with you and a decent shovel.  This opens up your options.

You can use the shovel to dig a hole to bury a log or similar (I wouldnt go running a cable through an alloy prado wheel thats buried in case you damage it) and winch yourself out.  If its to the front use the electric winch, from the back use the tirfor. 

You can also winch forwards with electric and use the tirfor to pull sideways (useful if slipping off a track)

The tifor also extends your range pulling forwards as you can double the pull length which may get you to that tree thats out of reach of the electric cable.  (only use the tirfor though as it has an inbuilt shear pin that acts as a fuse until you can hook up the electric)

Have fun.
My alternative to cheap import trailers;

http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=36094.msg578367#msg578367

Offline JustJim

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2012, 07:04:13 AM »
We’ve often travelled alone over the years - I’ve often carried a Tirfor, shackles, star pickets and short sections of chain to hook them together.
A long handled shovel and a short spade, plus a snatch strap and strap extension are always in the kit.

The Tirfor is a peace of mind back up, but it’s hard work using it, especially with a star picket ground anchor, so it makes you cautious about where you go..
Sometimes turning back and driving a four hour detour is the quicker option.

Jim

Offline cewilson

• Tent User
    • cewilson
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2012, 07:40:23 PM »
I carry a Tirfor and I've used it plenty of times.  I've also sunk the spare tyre on a few times, again it is hard work.  However I've never needed rescuing from any situation.  It's that peace of mind that you 'know' you are alright when travelling by yourself which we do a lot of. 

Could we have avoided those situations - yes probably.  But we don't go out to take a gravel road, we go out to take the 4WDing option.  It just requires a different mindset when travelling alone, and a very good knowledge of recovery.  Lastly it also takes a certain amount of hard work but it's no different to travelling with kids or a lot of other things we do in life.  1/2 an hour on a tirfor certainly gives you plenty of time to think about different ways to tackle that obstacle  :)

Cheers
Chris
1998 Trak Shak
200tDi Defender

Offline singo-26

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Gone bush permanently!
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2012, 11:51:00 PM »
[quote author=JustJim link=topic=19476.msg300830#msg300830 date=132787105

The Tirfor is a peace of mind back up, but it’s hard work using it, especially with a star picket ground anchor, so it makes you cautious about where you go..
Sometimes turning back and driving a four hour detour is the quicker option.

Jim
[/quote]

I've often made a similar comment. If a tirfor is your only means of recovery, It makes you think if you really need to go that way. Having said that on someone else advice I've got stuck with only a high lift and chains, That makes a tirfor seem easy.
Steve

2001 HZJ105 and a custom rearfold softfloor.

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2012, 02:44:41 AM »
If your stuck then the 1st thing out of the truck is the kettle as your going to be here a while might as well have a cuppa . Its not as silly as it sounds . If you just spent time winching of what ever type then all that digging , track repair & pack up . Settle yourself with a hot brew & a bicky . Also it gives the rest of the crew something to do instead of asking every 5 mins " Hows it going Dear  ??? "
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust