Author Topic: Winch Cables - cable or rope?  (Read 5024 times)

Offline dunebuggy

• Swag User
    • Yakass Coastal Kayak Fishing
Winch Cables - cable or rope?
« on: October 23, 2011, 11:30:02 PM »
Hello all.
Soon to have a new vehicle weighing 2280kg (EDIT:2280 is with max payload -1805kgs is the kerb weight.) I had an alloy bull bar picked out but now I'm thinking about getting a winch too which means getting a steel bull bar instead. In my search on the internet for available winches I found that some come with the conventional steel cable and some models sport synthetic rope. I know that technology is improving things in many areas but... rope? on a winch?

Anyway, I am in unfamiliar territory and require some advice on winches in general please.

What size winch?
Wire or rope?
What winch accessories do I need?
What features should I be looking for?

Many thanks in advance for the help.
Regards,
Stuart W.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 07:43:53 AM by dunebuggy »
"Life is a Journey - NOT a Guided Tour"

Offline jaym

• Learning the Ropes
Re: Winch Cables - cable or rope?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2011, 11:53:04 PM »
Winches can be a hard choice with so many on the market these days. Personally I would have a look around at what others are using. And by using I don't mean what they have mounted on the front of there 4x4 but what they have actually put to the test. From what I've seen the tiggerz11, tjm ox and of cause the warn are all good. For size i would be looking at a 12000lbs winch, rope would be great, it's stronger then cable, won't tangle or crimp. I'm running cable at the moment but would love to have rope. But each to there own. As for acsesserys basic rated bow shackle and tree trunk pretector will get you started. But it's also nice to have a snack block as well. All comes down to buying the best you can afford.

Hope this helps

Cheers
Jay

Ps. My first post on this site :)

Offline Gunna Do

• "To Infinity and Beyond"
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 05:56:36 AM »
What size winch?
Depends on your budget.  If possible at least 9000lb if not more.  I use a 8000lb Warn winch, but it is at its limit pulling my Patrol and camper, but having said that it has never let me down.  

Wire or rope?
Bit of good reading here (Winches and synthetic rope. & Synthetic Winch Rope)
I would buy the dyneema style cable just for the ease of handling.  Apparently no recoil like wire rope when it breaks, it just drops to the ground.  No burrs.  Light weight.

What winch accessories do I need?
Bow shackles, tree trunk protectors, rope damper, extension straps, snatch blocks & gloves.

In a winch, my personal opinion is don't worry about all the fancy wireless remote features they offer, as this is just something else to go wrong.  The electrical components of a winch are the most prone to failure, so the less the better.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 06:00:06 AM by Gunna Do »

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2011, 05:58:40 AM »
The 'Runvas' are getting a good rap, personally if you're handy, buy a 2nd hand Warn and fix it up.
Get rope 10mm no question
You'll need at minimum, a couple of shackles, tree protector and cable dampner
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • If 1 turbo is good, 2 must be better. VK3GJG
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2011, 06:25:05 AM »
I have always run with a winch as we get around solo a lot and need to be self reliant, I also need to winch my trailer into its holiday house when we are not out and about. I have had an ironman for the past 5 years and it has been in two vehicles but the last time I used it in anger it was showing signs of tiredness. I have just purchased a Warn XP 9.5 and had a little bit of work done on it to ensure it lasts a long time. I would be looking for a winch in the 9500 range, compare all the weights of the brands and just see how much of an anchor you are going to put on the front of your vehicle.

I run synthetic rope (10mm) as it is much safer and easier to use. You do have to be much more careful with it on sharp rocks and stuff but I have never had a problem. The first one I had was a cheap Chinese one and the new rope going onto the winch is from Winchline. Its amazing how many kilos you can shed by removing the wire rope and rollers to the front.

You will need a basic set of recovery gear which would include a tree protector, a snatch block so you can double up when you need some extra pull, a dampener for the winchline of some type and a few rated shackles.

I would get a steel winch bar to start as at least then you can get a winch fitted when you are ready and it will also give you further protection.

GG

Offline dunebuggy

• Swag User
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2011, 07:50:41 AM »
Thanks for the feedback gays, that's gold. I was concerned about weight when I saw that one model I looked at was over 60kgs.
Does a lighter winch weight mean less grunt or cheaper components? or something else?

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2011, 08:03:39 AM »
The Warn XP 9.5 i am putting in weighs almost 40kg, I will drop a few kilos when i switch the rope and remove the rollers for a hawse

The Warn XD 9000 weighs 35 kg, the difference if the size of motor and a few internal parts.

An ironman 9500 weighs 42kg, Tigerz 9000 weighs 26kg, Tigerz 10000 weighs 27kg

I am not sure why one is so much heavier and one is a lightweight but I know i would like the lightest strongest winch available, unfortunately it also comes down to cost. i hopefully have one that will last a long time and not let me down at the one moment that you really need it most.

GG

Offline Renno

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2011, 12:31:26 PM »

I run synthetic rope (10mm) as it is much safer and easier to use.

Sorry for a little push in...
GG,
I just purchased a second hand xd9000, gave it a service and ready to go. How much 10mm rope can you fit on?
Renno :cheers:

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2011, 01:02:55 PM »
Sorry for a little push in...
GG,
I just purchased a second hand xd9000, gave it a service and ready to go. How much 10mm rope can you fit on?
Renno :cheers:

Winch Std.                                    Cable Rope         repl.         Alternate rope
MileMarker 12k                                  3/8x100      3/8x100            n/a 
MileMarker 10.5k 2 speed                   3/8x100      3/8x100            n/a 
MileMarker 9k 2 speed                        3/8x100      3/8x100        5/16x125 
MileMarker 9k 1 speed                       5/16x100     5/16x100        3/8x80 
MileMarker E8                                    3/8x100        3/8x100       5/16x125 

Warn M15                                           7/16x90       7/16x90       3/8x125 
Warn M12 3/8x125 3/8x125 7/16x90 
Warn HS95/HS95i/9.5ti                        5/16x125      5/16x125      3/8x100 
Warn 9.5XP                                         5/16x100      5/16x100       3/8x80 
Warn XD9/XD9i                                    5/16x125      5/16x125      3/8x100 
Warn 8274/8274-50                              5/16x150      5/16x150      3/8x125 
Warn X8/X8i                                         5/16x100      5/16x100      3/8x80 
Warn M8                                               5/16x100      5/16x100      3/8x80 
Warn M6                                              5/16x80         5/16x80        1/4x175 
Warm M6SDP                                        5/16x50         5/16x50        1/4x100

Taken from here, http://www.rockstomper.com/catalog/recovery/ropes.htm

GG

Offline Renno

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2011, 01:17:16 PM »
Copy, Will get 30m. Wasn't sure weather to go smaller diameter and a bit longer or thicker, shorter and extension strap if needed.
Thanks
Renno

Offline Squalo

• "Two Wheels Good"
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2011, 01:19:40 PM »
I would buy the dyneema style cable just for the ease of handling.  Apparently no recoil like wire rope when it breaks, it just drops to the ground.

My Tigerz11 12,000lb winch stalled during self-recovery at Scenic Rim Adventure Park, because I had both diffs on the crown and was attempting to pull three tonnes of Patrol up an incline that was difficult to walk up, it was that steep. Would not wind out either. So we had to cut the rope, and that is indeed what happens - a few draws with a hacksaw and it separates and drops. Tie it back together with a bowline and it's good to go again.

My winch is apparently 23kg with 28 metres of 10mm rope. I'd recommend it, for around $900 delivered it is hard to beat. It has performed plenty of moderate to difficult recoveries, the recovery mentioned above was extreme and would have stopped any recreational winch (ended up being towed up by a 7.5 litre V8 comp truck).

The rope used in winches was developed in yacht racing.
2007 Jimboomba Maddison Staircase
1995 GQ DX Patrol TD42

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2011, 01:20:17 PM »
work out if you really need a winch... I've had mine 4yrs and used it twice.

also look at Warn new from USA for <1000 landed
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 01:23:29 PM by Lost »
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2011, 01:23:18 PM »
Wasn't sure weather to go smaller diameter and a bit longer or thicker, shorter and extension strap if needed.

A shorter thicker rope will pull harder as the maximum pull of a winch is on the wrap closest to the spool, which you never winch off anyway. Get another piece of rope as an extenstion rather than carry a winch extension strap.
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline dunebuggy

• Swag User
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2011, 04:15:36 PM »
Great info there guys, thanks and  :cheers:

Offline BigJules

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Just Cruisin' - I wish...
    • I'm so much cooler online :D
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2011, 05:56:28 PM »

The electrical components of a winch are the most prone to failure, so the less the better.

[/quote]

Agree.
Julian
Land Cruiser V8 + Trackabout Safari SV Extenda
MySwag Gallery, Photobucket
Sydney Agent for www.trackabout.com.au
Mallee Gear - Tough as nails

Offline kiwipete

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2011, 08:51:21 PM »
The electrical components of a winch are the most prone to failure, so the less the better.

Agree.

Or use a snatch block, double the purchase half the load....
KiwiPete
1991 HDJ80
Explorer Campers & Canvas - Lawson Off Road
http://www.explorercampers.com.au/
Canberra