Author Topic: Greetings!  (Read 8280 times)

Offline paulG

• Swag User
  • Work ...the curse of the working class.....
Greetings!
« on: July 01, 2013, 04:29:13 PM »
Hi ...we are VERY new here ....we am VERY keen to get out and do some trailer camping ...it's a bit of a daunting task though ...looking at all the different models, etc ....Is there any one aspect I (we) should be looking at?...obviously the budget is a factor ...but , buying once at the start of things obviously saves money ...Please ....ANY ideas would be appreciated ....I know that I am not alone in this line of thinking ....Cheers, Paul....

Offline berlitza

• Hard Floor Camper User
Re: Greetings!
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2013, 05:11:52 PM »
Greetings back at ya ,welcome aboard this mighty fine and useful forum     :cheers:
All my life, I thought air was free...until I bought a bag of chips

Offline paulG

• Swag User
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2013, 05:38:45 PM »
Thanks berlitza.......here's hoping I can find some direction ....I need all the help I can get!!...the boss says so...:)

Paul

Offline berlitza

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2013, 05:45:34 PM »
Thanks berlitza.......here's hoping I can find some direction ....I need all the help I can get!!...the boss says so...:)

Paul

seems to be a lot of that going around mate  ;D
All my life, I thought air was free...until I bought a bag of chips

Offline muzza01

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Y62 S5 Nissan Patrol and Tanami 13 Hybrid
    • Photobucket Muz
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2013, 05:54:22 PM »
Hi PaulG, welcome to the forum. It is always hard to make a decision on buying a CT.
A couple of things to think about:
New or secondhand,
Hard floor or soft top. Hard floors are generally a lot quicker to setup
On road or off road.
Small annexe or big annexe
Roll out cook top kitchen or BBQ hot plate,
Budget less than $10k or more than $10k
Big family or small family.

Answer some of these questions and it will be easier for us to give you advice.
See you around the forum Paul....Muz.

KingBilly

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2013, 07:06:37 PM »
Welcome to the forum Paul.  Looking at CTs is a lot of fun I reckon.  You need to get out there and start comparing in the metal.  Get yourself along to some shows or showrooms.  If you give us a few more details of what you are chasing, I'm sure there will be plenty of advice forthcoming.  How many to accomodate, what sort of tug, what budget, on road or off road etc etc.

Happy camping
KB

Offline Barrabart

• "Queenslander forever, forever Queenslander"
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2013, 07:59:51 PM »
G'day Paul,

Welcome to the forum.......

The number one rule in buying a Camper Trailer is buy the best new or secondhand camper trailer that you can afford, and it has to suit your requirements only......

General info, get around (if possible) and look at as many CT dealers as you can, check any camp shows too.... also if possible, try and hire a few different CT's to give you some idea on what works for you...

Also, absolutely pay close attention to the CT classifieds on here, some great CT's come up for sale.......

Good luck.
Trackabout Safari towed by an old HJ75 Cruiser Tray Back.. Lovin'it!!!

Offline Snow

• Follow me, I'll be right behind you.
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2013, 08:04:26 PM »
G'day Paul and welcome to Myswag.  :cheers:
A vision without action is a dillusion

The Snowmobile: 2017 Ford Everest Trend with heaps of fruit
The Snowcave: 2023 Austrack Tanami X13
2008 Cub Supamatic XTD

Offline paulG

• Swag User
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2013, 08:56:29 PM »
Gee ...this is really very humbling!!....Many thanks for the welcome, and already I feel that there is going to be a LOT of fun here...gleaning info from seasoned campers....

I have just had a long chat to the war office, and she tells me that she really wants a CT with a built-in kitchen ....I seem to think that a reasonably large annex is another necessity ...so already I have made inroads ...am writing them down too...so a list of "requirements" is up and running ...I own a Nissan Navara d22, with long range tank, dual batteries, hot-water shower plumbed into the aircon, UHF radio. I have a TRAILBLAZA fridge which I plan to use as a freezer, and a small WAECO 21 litre fridge (that is dead at the moment, so that needs attention). So I have a few "things" to start with..
I wonder if one of the "tag along" tours wouldn't be a good way to start the ball rolling ....to learn from others , and have some supervision ....

Thanks again for the welcome everybody...

Paul
 :cheers:

Offline Shutterbug

• Tent User
    • Ruediger Photography
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2013, 09:39:28 PM »
Welcome to the forum paulG.

It's daunting when you first start thinking about a camper trailer. You don't really know what you can get until you start looking and when you start looking you don't know where to stop because there are so many options available!

You could try grabbing a few camper trailer magazines to get a bit of a feel for what's available (if you haven't done so already) or visit a few manufacturers to see what they have available. Maybe even hire a couple of different trailers if possible to see what you might like or not like.

Good luck with the search!

Cheers,
Marc
My camper: http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=22380.0
What I tow with: http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=22612.msg348598#msg348598
My website: http://www.pbase.com/marc_ruediger

Offline redrocker

• Swag User
  • Wanting to see Oz in a soft floor camper
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2013, 10:36:21 PM »
Welcome PaulG some great reading here and a lot of fun I don't env you on choosing a camper I was hard enough when I got mine

Redrocker
Redrock Extream offroad soft floor
 04  Nissan Pathfinder Ti

KingBilly

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2013, 06:12:57 AM »
Mate, just a word on kitchens.  Whilst the stainless steel kitchens look all nice and shiny with lots of bling, many on here, including myself, would recommend a Drifta.  A lot cheaper and the Driftas are very functional.  Plus if you want a bit of bling check out their "black stainless" model.  http://www.drifta.com.au/PackageDeals.php

KB

Offline Rob C

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • North Coast Campers
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2013, 07:19:20 AM »
Hi Paul and welcome,

As many have said before get out to some showrooms and check out what is around.
Also it would be good to try and hire a couple of different types to get the feel of camping with a CT.
But be sure that you do your homework, stick to your budget, take us much time as you want and do not rush into buying as it is a big decision that you have to make.
Once that is done your new toy will need personalizing with lots of Mods with help from the friendly Myswag crew.

Good luck and all the best,

Rob
Nissan Patrol Y62-2023 & North Coast Camper XLT

Offline muzza01

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Y62 S5 Nissan Patrol and Tanami 13 Hybrid
    • Photobucket Muz
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2013, 10:20:58 AM »
Gee ...this is really very humbling!!....Many thanks for the welcome, and already I feel that there is going to be a LOT of fun here...gleaning info from seasoned campers....

I have just had a long chat to the war office, and she tells me that she really wants a CT with a built-in kitchen ....I seem to think that a reasonably large annex is another necessity ...so already I have made inroads ...am writing them down too...so a list of "requirements" is up and running ...I own a Nissan Navara d22, with long range tank, dual batteries, hot-water shower plumbed into the aircon, UHF radio. I have a TRAILBLAZA fridge which I plan to use as a freezer, and a small WAECO 21 litre fridge (that is dead at the moment, so that needs attention). So I have a few "things" to start with..
I wonder if one of the "tag along" tours wouldn't be a good way to start the ball rolling ....to learn from others , and have some supervision ....

Thanks again for the welcome everybody...

Paul
 :cheers:

Sounds like you got your tug and accessories all sorted. 
Nothing wrong with a big annexe but the bigger you go the longer you spend putting it up and pulling it down.  That cuts in on your fun time a little. Bigger is not necessarily better IMHO. Something to think about.

Offline paulG

• Swag User
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2013, 08:51:57 PM »
Hello again ...and thanks again for the welcome!...OK ...So ..here are a few pointers ...
Off road trailer
Budget about $15k
Kitchen ...tbd
Annex ...the more I think about it, the smaller it should be ...but we will need a place to sit and have a feed if it rains....and ..somewhere to hang "stuff" like coats, fishing rods, rifles, etc.
Storage area for clothes, etc ....I presume that it's under the bed that this happens....
Water storage ...how big should we look for?
I have been thinking about pitching and striking....I suppose after a few goes, this will become easier and easier....
Cheers

Paul ???

Offline Barrabart

• "Queenslander forever, forever Queenslander"
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2013, 02:09:35 AM »
Not sure where you live mate, but something along the lines of this Trackabout would see you being a very happy camper...........

http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=30391.0

Or give Trackabout a call, they could do you a brand spanking new full Aussie made Kakadu for $14,990- http://trackabout.com.au/listing/4x4-kakadu/

Not that i'm biased at all, but the Tracky's take some beating, when it comes to quality for dollars.... ;D
Trackabout Safari towed by an old HJ75 Cruiser Tray Back.. Lovin'it!!!

Offline speedhump

• Tent User
  • Going places ... others dream!
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2013, 07:35:55 AM »

Welcome Paul
Speedhump
Speedhump
2013 triton 4WD dual cab
2016 New Age Wallaby Caravan
4.55m Makocraft runabout & Quintrex 350 cartopper
Our Blog: chezzastravels.wordpress.com

Offline Vacation Campers

• Learning the Ropes
  • Vacation Campers
    • Vacation Campers
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2013, 03:32:17 PM »
Hi Paul

Just reading the feedback getting some good advice there - where are you based??  You are more than welcome to come and see us at our factory at Virginia, Brisbane - Pauline will talk you through all the different options that you have - not just what we do but also some of the differences between tent sizes, options and what to look out for.  It will give you a good starting point to begin your comparisons - I could do the sales talk and tell you what we have - check the web site we often have different models reduced for one month only - check with us as to which one we don't list on the website  - also being 'show' time there are always the show specials as well.  If you're not in Brisbane you can catch us at a show near you - we do freight interstate if necessary - we could do a new camper for you at that budget.
Kim
Vacation Campers - Virginia

http://www.vacationcampers.com.au/

Offline DarWen

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2013, 10:30:42 PM »
Hi Paul, Welcome to Myswag. We own a Vacation Campers Vacationer and are very happy with it. However that may not suit you, a couple of things to think about, do you consider yourself handy with the tools, if so do some mods yourself. Also to create a larger sitting area we purchased one of those 4.5 x3 metre Oz trail gabezo's it is the same width as the annexe and add that out the front if more room under cover is needed. If you live around Lismore there is a show coming up shortly, there is a thread about in the general section might be worth a look. Good luck with your search Darren & Wendy.

Offline paulG

• Swag User
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2013, 05:09:24 PM »
Am I allowed to say this again ..and again!!??...The welcome here has been nothing short of humbling ..thanks to all ....

I will certainly look at the Vacation campers ...Brisneyland isn't too far away either ...I am going to invest in magazines first ...then ....well, I have asked one or two of the manufacturers for pamphlets to be snail mailed to me...so I can digest them in the place where all good decisions are made .... 8)..Maybe Kim would be good enough to mail me some pamphlets ...please??..

Paul

Offline Black Diamond

• "IF IT HAS TITS OR WHEELS IT WILL GIVE YOU TROUBLE........"
  • 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Cruisin through Life in the 80.......
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2013, 10:21:07 PM »
Greetings and welcome :)
1996 80 series Cruiser
2005 Coota Camper - The legend lives on.....

Offline Chippy76

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • :D
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2013, 11:58:29 AM »
Paul ...

Firstly welcome to Myswag. I hope you enjoy your time on here , god knows alot of us spend far too much time on this forum. lol  Although having said that it is one of the most helpful friendliest forums on the net. 

To try and answer you question in a nutshell ....

I dont believe there is one camper trailer that will tick ALL the boxes (well not within the budget of us "normal " folk)
If you are willing to go second hand there are some good bargains to be found on ebay, gumtree and free classifieds etc etc.

Are you handy ?? Doing some of the work yourself will also save you some $$$$. I have personally knocked up some storage units for under the CT, and am soon making a kitchen.

Soft floor VS hard floor ..... now this is a tough one and one that will spark many a heated debate on the forum. There are definate pros and cons of each model. Do your research and decide what works for YOU! A word of warning though, beware of the sales hype. Many salespeople at campershows will convince you why THEIR camper is right for you.  Only YOU know what will work for your family ...

Solar, 240v, water tanks and toilets ......... with so many options available it can be quiet daunting. Again consider where you are likely to be camping. Are you a solo camper in the high country in winter? Or a powered site in a caravan park kind of camper ... ? Just because it has 1000 features doesnt mean it is right for you. Do you really need solar power if you  only even intend to camp at powered caravan parks ???  Again, weigh up the options and figure what works for you.

My only advice to NOT waiver on the hitch or tyre quality, these are, after all, the only two things that hold your CT to the car and the road.  An "off road" style hitch will make it easier to connect the CT to the vehicle in not-so-perfect conditions.

Im not sure whether that has helped or hindered your decision. But feel free to ask away here, it is a great forum with some very knowledgeable people.

Cheers Chippy :D
"All ice is thin ...cross only when necessary" - Buck Tilton

Offline paulG

• Swag User
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2013, 02:13:12 PM »
Thanks Chippy...I am fast discovering that this IS the case ...SO many options out there...I am having a close(r) look at the VACATION CT range ....they have been very diligent and enthusiastic about giving me information ....it fits my budget too ...a definite plus ...

Please ...could you tell me more about the "off road" style hitches you talk about?...I guess that this is an ultra important part!...Don't want to see the trailer overtaking me on a bend ... ;D

The soft floor vs hard floor debate ....dare I ask for opinions on this one?...

Cheers

Paul

Offline Talawana5

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2013, 01:00:08 PM »
Welcome Paul

Good choice joining this great Forum. Reseach, Research, Ask Ask and you will make some correct decisions.

Cheers

Offline smythy17

• Swag User
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2015, 07:49:24 PM »
Hey Paul. Welcome to the forum from a fellow northern rivers member.