Author Topic: Hello and help!!  (Read 9103 times)

Offline ewoksta

• Swag User
Hello and help!!
« on: October 23, 2012, 05:04:50 PM »
Hi, my name is Andrew and I'm a campaholic!! Ok now that's out of the way let me start at the beginning. Purchased our Coleman 12 man taj mahal tent and a few other odds and sods and headed off to patonga for a long weekend. Needless to say we were under prepared and it hosed down. Fast forward a couple of years and about 8 trips latter and we get set up at Darlington near Coffs Harbour and guess what??? Yep it hoses down again. Decided then and there that it was time to upgrade to a camper trailer. Did the research and bought one from Central Coast campers. Now this thing is the ducks guts of campers. It's massive and has everything we want and need. It's perfect!!!

Now is the part where I need your help!!!

Being the gumbies we are we listened to the guy who sold it to us when he assured us that our 2010 sportage would have no trouble towing it. That part is true. The part we are stuck with is that the tow ball weight is about 50kgs over the recommended weight!!! So as you can see, Houston we have a problem. Weight distribution hitch I hear them cry. Won't make 50kgs difference, so we still run the risk of ripping the butt out of our car.

So as a newby and a gumby what would you lovely people recommend I upgrade to car wise. Tow ball weight is around 210kgs. My wife is only small and doesn't feel comfortable in a land crusher, so we were thinking Navara, triton or hilux. Planning an Alice trip in 12 months or so, so thinking diesel 

So there it is me in a nutshell. Any help and guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Andrew
07 Dual Cab Navara
2012 Central Coast camper "Show Special"

Offline LB

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: Hello and help!!
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 06:23:55 PM »
Welcome Andrew :cheers:

Tow ball weight is around 210kgs.

That is one heavy camper. Hope thats fully laden.

My vote is for the hilux, had a go in one on the test track at the Eastern Creak 4WD show and was really impressed.

LB
2017 BT-50 GT
Kimberley Kamper Platinum 2013

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • If 1 turbo is good, 2 must be better. VK3GJG
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, 06:35:35 PM »
Welcome to MySwag Andrew, have you confirmed that the 210kg weight is correct, that sounds mighty high. If it is correct is there anyway that you can offet some of the weight to the rear of the trailer?

Any of the current crop of utes will do the job, make sure you go out and drive them as they are becoming as large as a Patrol/cruiser in body size just not the height. Good luck in the decision and get up some pics of the trailer sometime

GG

Offline Hairs

• Get outside every day, Miracles are waiting everywhere
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • A door can be a jar, but a jar can not be a door??
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2012, 07:09:36 PM »
G'day Andrew,

Hmmm, bit of a pickle you have found yourself in there mate
210kgs does seem high, Just by looking at their pictures, I'm trying to figure out were it would come from.
I hope you can get it sorted.
Happy & Safe travels
 :cheers:
You don't use magic to disappear, all you need is a 4wd & a Swag ;)

Offline mike and tracy davis

• Tent User
  • The Davis Clan
    • http://myswag.org/gallery/v/mike+and+tracy+davis/
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2012, 09:37:30 PM »
I'm with the rest 210KG sounds very high perhaps a recheck required. :-\
More importantly at this moment welcome! :cup:
There are some fantastic dual cab utes about at the moment with dealers looking to shift them. Do your research, use our forum, and drive em.

Cheers Mike :cheers:
Mike and Tracy Davis VKS737 mobile 3424
Nomad 96 4WD Club of WA. Only owns and drives Patrols, likes to get out there .......and make it back!

Offline coffs camping

• Tent User
  • We are three - Mum, Ms.15 and Mr.9
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2012, 10:10:36 PM »
Cant help myself, I have to reply. I am kinda small, I am on my own, and I camp a lot. And I have a landcruiser. I want to sell it but only to buy a later model. I love my cruiser and find that its as easy to drive as anything else I have driven and because its a cruiser I am confident towing. Very little can or ever has gone wrong. On my own, I need that reassurance.
J
BTW - my cruiser has 340k kms on it.
Love weekend camping whenever we can in our 2002 Cub Spacematic (Transcontinental Pack) with the 80series LC. See you out there!! J

Offline fuji

• "Tail End Charlie"
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "nolle timere" Don't be afraid
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2012, 03:48:16 PM »
I guess it depends on finances. I recently purchased a Toyota Workmate, but if Iwas going to a ute, I would look at the Hilux or Mazda BT-50.  :cheers:
2017 (79 series) Landcruiser, and Evernew E100😎

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2012, 03:59:19 PM »
With all the dual cabs and bending chassis issues, theres no way I'd be puttin 210kg ball weight behind one.... that has to be wrong.

Budget?
New/Used?
2 people?
Must have's?
Auto/Manual?
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 04:00:53 PM by Lost »
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Hairs

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2012, 04:27:27 PM »
Can you elaborate?  Interested to know which makes?  Got any links?  Thanks

Let me Google that for you
 ;D

Offline Hairs

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2012, 05:08:36 PM »
Just wondering if there is anything to actually back it up.   ???
Sorry but you've lost me by saying this.
What do you mean? "is there anything to actually back it up"
Just asking  ???
Cause there has been plenty spoken about this issue over the past couple of years in many forums.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 05:15:27 PM by Hairs »

Offline ewoksta

• Swag User
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2012, 05:19:37 PM »
Hi all, thanks for the welcome and feedback. The tow all weight was measured by my local 4wd accessories place with their scales so I am hoping it is correct. The trailer is almost 5 mtrs long with around 3 mtrs of that in front of the axle. Tool box and spare wheel are located at the front and really no where else to put either as the kids bikes get strapped to the back of the trailer via a bike rack. Thought about using the water as a counter weight but that means I am pulling another 160kgs with the car so not ideal seeing as I am pretty close to the max now.

Have been looking at 2nd hand pajeros as they have a min tow weight of 250kg for the ball. In answer to the budget question, looking to spend low to mid 30's depending on what we get for ours. Family of 4 so need back seats that are preferably comfortable for the long trips.

Thanks again for the welcome and feedback, it's greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Andrew
07 Dual Cab Navara

Offline GeeTee

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • GT Campers premium off-road trailers and Toyota Hilux Expedition conversions
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2012, 05:50:24 PM »
hi and welcome and that is a crappy predicament you have been placed in by someone who has manipulated your enthusaism and innocence... 'perfect', 'ducks guts' and '210kg' maybe don't belong in the same sentence.

There are not many vehicles that will be rated/legal, and/or sensible with 210kg on the ball. And although it is a fine vehicle, a late Pajero is particularly NOT happy with 210kg on its towbar (no matter what the dealer says - as you have already found out the hard way) due to its rear suspension design.

Can you move hardware/equipment to remove drawbar weight eg: relocate the spare to behind the axle? Under chassis? Spares weigh HEAPS so that change alone may remove 80kg or more from the drawbar. can you relocate the water tank? Thsio work may cost a grand or two but that is cheaper than the costs associated with buying a new car.

GT Campers: Off-road touring trailer or Toyota Hilux Expedition
Purpose-designed and built off-road touring vehicles. Innovation not imitation!
Find us on Facebook

Online britts

• Soft Floor Camper User
Hello and help!!
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2012, 06:58:38 PM »
Hi Andrew good to see you found your way here,if you want to bring it up one weekend we can have a look to see if we can move anything around, if the SWMBO want to have a drive of the cruiser because their not really that big when you're in the drivers seat bring her up as well. You've got my number
Cheers Matt

Cheers Matt

Offline ewoksta

• Swag User
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2012, 07:22:57 PM »
Hey Matt, thanks for that, we will let you know.

The reply before gave me an idea!! The spare wheel is located on the front of the draw bar. If I was to take it off and put it at the side where we have 2 x 20ltr water gerry cans that would have a twofold effect. 1 It would get the weight off the front and 2 move it to the back making it a counter balance. We have a built in 160ltr water tank so we dont really need the gerry cans. We wont be doing that much off roading that we cant get water somewhere.

I reckon it would balance the trailer a bit better as one side has empty gerry cans, the other has 2 x 4kg gas bottles and the kitchen on that side.

Am I on the right track here or clutching at straws??

Massively cheaper than buying a new car!!!

Cheers
Andrew.
07 Dual Cab Navara

Online britts

• Soft Floor Camper User
Hello and help!!
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2012, 07:44:15 PM »
Or we might be able to mount the spare under the rear of the camper

Cheers Matt

Offline ewoksta

• Swag User
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2012, 07:51:40 PM »
Or we might be able to mount the spare under the rear of the camper

Cheers Matt

The water tank is in the way and I want to avoid putting it on the tailgate as we need somewhere to put the bikes.

Heading away this weekend so when I get back I will try it our and see what mods I may need to make.

Cheers
Andrew
07 Dual Cab Navara

Offline Barry G

• Hard Top Camper User
  • For my 'Pop' l.Cpl Tom Powell, A Comp.21Batt.6Brig
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2012, 08:06:18 PM »
The water tank is in the way and I want to avoid putting it on the tailgate as we need somewhere to put the bikes.

Heading away this weekend so when I get back I will try it our and see what mods I may need to make.

Cheers
Andrew

Also difficult to access the spare if it is underneath, unless you have a 'winder', thankfully I never needed to remove miners it was wjust bolted up.
Spare in lieu of the cans sounds like the way to go.
Alternatively, a tilting 'boat' rack, with basket,for tyres, / Gerrys, and move basket fore - aft - to 'fine tune'.
This is certainly a major unintended  consequence of trailer design with long draw bars and boxes ahead of the trailer body.  One 'solution' would be to build the body to include an integral tool box, which would make it 'legal' under the ADRs to move the wheels forward, giving an improved centre of gravity and hence lower ball weight.  (The ADRs don't allow for removable tool boxes to be taken into account in establishing the centre of gravity.)

Not a real problem for the 'Nisotas', but it is for the rest of us.  Unfortunately most builders, at least at the entry - mid price end, aren't receptive to discussing alternative approaches.
2000 Jackaroo Monterey 2002 Jackaroo 'Equipe' & Heaslip soft floor rear fold camper.
05 Subaru Outback Weekender GOGO Camper
 i hope for a better world for my kids, and yours, not just a bigger slice of the current one!

Offline GeoffA

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "If 1 axle is good, 2 must be better........."
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2012, 08:18:24 PM »
With all the dual cabs and bending chassis issues, theres no way I'd be puttin 210kg ball weight behind one....

x2
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon
2005 Coota Camper - gone, but never forgotten
2020 North Coast 15' Titanium - tandem, of course

Land Cruiser.....the Patrol that Toyota try to build.....

Offline ewoksta

• Swag User
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2012, 10:38:51 AM »
2007 Kia Sorento diesel. Thoughts anyone??
07 Dual Cab Navara

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2012, 10:43:14 AM »
First thing I would do is go and confirm the towball weight with someone else's scales.

Then go from there... I still say the bloke had his wifes foot on the scales as he weighed the trailer.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline ewoksta

• Swag User
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2012, 11:20:50 AM »
First thing I would do is go and confirm the towball weight with someone else's scales.

Then go from there... I still say the bloke had his wifes foot on the scales as he weighed the trailer.
[/quote

The guy measured it directly under the hitch with a set of heavy duty scales. Not sure what weighing it with another set if scales would prove.

Just saying.
07 Dual Cab Navara

Offline Heno

• Sleeping Bag User
  • Do unto others ... and learn to laugh at yourself.
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2012, 02:41:02 PM »
Crikeys - 210kg is huge isn't it ... I mean, I've been able to lift any trailer on to the hitching point, therefore I assume I'm lifting the towball weight.  I'm no slouch when it comes to lifting but I doubt I'd be able to lift anything over 100kg, hence assume this is the towball weight.  I therefore assumed that towball weights would max out around 60-80kg, is my way of thinking wrong or have I lead a sheltered hitching life?

Heno
'98 Prado GXL, 465k, yet to skip a beat
'12 Aussie Jay Joey
East coast sealed surface tripper (with power, sometimes ensuite, always a hairdryer, microwave ... this isn't camping!)

Offline Heiny

• "All who wander are not lost"
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2012, 02:49:34 PM »
Hi Andrew and welcome to My Swag

:cheers: Brett
NM Pajero GLS 3.2 DiD manual
2008 Jayco Flamingo Outback

Offline austastar

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2012, 05:57:11 PM »
Hi,
   I'm no expert, but found this which may be useful.

cheers

Offline GeeTee

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • GT Campers premium off-road trailers and Toyota Hilux Expedition conversions
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2012, 07:44:36 AM »
Grizo how can placing a set of scales directly under the hitch NOT give an accurate measurement ?!! You don't need bricks and timber unless you are using bathroom scales
« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 07:48:59 AM by GeeTee »

GT Campers: Off-road touring trailer or Toyota Hilux Expedition
Purpose-designed and built off-road touring vehicles. Innovation not imitation!
Find us on Facebook