Author Topic: How ya goin mate/s  (Read 4029 times)

Offline Brad_m

• Tent User
How ya goin mate/s
« on: March 22, 2013, 07:52:29 PM »
Apparently I've been a member for ages, I don't remember registering.

Anyway.

I'm Brad, North queenslander, bourbon drinker, patrol driver, Father, self employed automotive tech,
That's about it. Love my job, love my 4x4, love my camping.

And before anyone says it,  A mechanic 'fixes cars with a spanners and hammer'   An automotive tech uses Lab scopes and other cool tools to accurately diagnose faults.   Most people come to an automotive tech after a few mechanics spend several hundred dollars not fixing it.
Attention COMMODORE DRIVERS, there is a stick near your steering wheel that makes orange lights flash on the outside of your car!!! These are used to tell people in advance that you intend to turn a corner or change lanes.

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
Re: How ya goin mate/s
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 07:53:54 PM »
Welcome to myswag Brad. You're obviously talking about diagnosing faults in Nissans as Toyotas never have faults :)
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline StrvnMrvn

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • I get payed to go camping!!
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013, 08:05:29 PM »
Well Brad your going to love it here!!!!

Plenty to do regarding cars and CT's!!!

Again, welcome to the clan and enjoy yourself!!!

:cheers:

Strvy
Cheers

Strvy

Offline Black Diamond

• "IF IT HAS TITS OR WHEELS IT WILL GIVE YOU TROUBLE........"
  • 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Cruisin through Life in the 80.......
How ya goin mate/s
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2013, 08:42:08 PM »
Welcome aboard mate :cheers:
You can't remember registering? Fellow pisshead your gunna get along well here : cheers: :cheers:

BD
1996 80 series Cruiser
2005 Coota Camper - The legend lives on.....

Offline Brad_m

• Tent User
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2013, 08:42:21 PM »
Welcome to myswag Brad. You're obviously talking about diagnosing faults in Nissans as Toyotas never have faults :)

Hhahahahahahah

The last one was Jeep, but it was a 'man made' problem.
I've got a Pajero IO coming in after Easter that 3 other shops have spent a few thousand and still not fixed it.
I'm kinda looking forward to the challenge.

Attention COMMODORE DRIVERS, there is a stick near your steering wheel that makes orange lights flash on the outside of your car!!! These are used to tell people in advance that you intend to turn a corner or change lanes.

KingBilly

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2013, 07:29:12 PM »
Welcome to the tribe Brad.

North Queenslander - great, I married one
Bourbon drinker - not bad, single malt is better
Patrol driver - we love 'em all on myswag  ;D
Father - poor bugger, we can commiserate over a glass or two
Self employed auto tech - good to know

Happy camping
KB

Offline Heiny

• "All who wander are not lost"
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2013, 07:29:52 PM »
Hi Brad and welcome to My Swag

:cheers: Brett
NM Pajero GLS 3.2 DiD manual
2008 Jayco Flamingo Outback

nbd73

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2013, 09:35:01 PM »
Hhahahahahahah

The last one was Jeep,
4 fatal letters that when combined together spell 'pay day' for mechanics & auto electricians. Please share your stories, I owned one for 6 bankrupting years. ;D

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • If 1 turbo is good, 2 must be better. VK3GJG
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2013, 11:56:16 AM »
Welcome to the Forum Brad

GG

Offline Brad_m

• Tent User
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2013, 03:23:06 PM »
Seems like a decent bunch of blokes here.  It not common to get this many replies in an introduction thread :cheers:

4 fatal letters that when combined together spell 'pay day' for mechanics & auto electricians. Please share your stories, I owned one for 6 bankrupting years. ;D

The was a 2006 (maybe2005) wrangler, 60 000km old,  check engine light was on and wouldn't rev past 3000rpm, the ECU was limiting the engine due to the fault code that was logged.

The code was a CKP-CMP correlation error code.  (CKP CranK Position sensor, CMP CaM Postion sensor)
Being so few KM it was a strange code to get,  Live data from the ECU the CKP/CMP out by 11.5 degrees.
The code can be set be either the correlation being wrong OR a corrupt signal from either sensor.

I scoped both sensors and the signal from each senor looked good, So that rules out a corrupt signal.
Checked for timing chain stretch and found none.  What I did find was spanner marks on the CMP retaining bolt.
Called the owner back and asked a few leading questions, the info I got back was the cam had been replaced and the light had been on ever since. (why he didn't tell me this at the start I don't know)

We correctly installed the CMP and got the correlation back to 0.5 degrees.   Checking the actual cam timing would mean tearing into the engine, As the engine made plenty of power and had no other running or starting issues we decided the cost of tearing it down wasn't going to be good value for money.

Like I said man made problem.

The other stuff wrong with this jeep was a jeep made problem.  A 60 000km old 4x4 that has never been off road should not need every suspension bush replaced due to cracking/tearing of the original stuff.

Offline Rob C

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • North Coast Campers
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2013, 07:00:35 PM »
All sounds great !!!!
We Are just plain old campers here,
all the above is above the is just a bit complicated when all we need to know is what type of camping you do.
Hope you enjoy the forum.

Rob C
Nissan Patrol Y62-2023 & North Coast Camper XLT

Offline Brad_m

• Tent User
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2013, 07:39:32 PM »
All sounds great !!!!
We Are just plain old campers here,
all the above is above the is just a bit complicated when all we need to know is what type of camping you do.
Hope you enjoy the forum.

Rob C

Any camping is good camping.  I range from chuck an esky and a swag in the pootrol for a weekender with the boys to loading the pootrol and my trailer, (Not a 'camper trailer' just a 7 foot boxy  that i've put a wider stronger axle and  some big wheels under for now,) and taking the family to the middle of no-where for a week. 

Some times it's more about the drive there and less about destination, I've been known to drive a forest track until it became impassable, camp there and turn around drive back the next day.
Other times it's a nice easy drive to a decent fishing spot for a few nights.

A mate and I are known for 'last minute camping'   deciding at 5pm on a friday to go out that night. It's a swag, an esky and our 'last minute box' then stop at the bottle shop and the IGA on the way. Drive for an hour find a creek and pull up. Drive to the next creek the next day and home on sunday.   They are always best trips, no planing just friends, beer and fishing.  We've been doing that for about 10 years,  has slowed down a bit know we both have families though.