Author Topic: New Melbournian, still hunting the camper trailer  (Read 7464 times)

Offline coles525

• Learning the Ropes
New Melbournian, still hunting the camper trailer
« on: October 19, 2011, 07:38:33 PM »
Evening all, after hunting on here for the past week or so in guest mode I've finally joined up.  As per the subject I don't own anything yet; not do I even have a bit of knowledge regarding anything about camper vans (ie: features / wording).

I've gone to 4 or so stores in person:

1) E&Z Trading (both stores - Bayswater store no help!) - http://www.enztrading.com.au/products/EZYTRAIL-CAMPER-TRAILER-%28HARD-FLOOR%29.html

2) Jays Ausie Campers (helpful lady, website changed - ajcampers.com.au)  - http://www.ajcampers.com.au/campers/the-big-red

3) Dingo (last on a list of choices!)

4) Vic Getaway Campers (5 year trailer warrenty!)  - http://www.viccampers.com.au/ProductDisplay.php?ProdID=30

Unsure what to go for!  1 & 4 both offer hard floor trailers which I'm totally interested in, mainlt due to not wanting to actually "assemble a tent & floor".

Facts:

- Off road use for camping in forests mainly in VIC Golden Triangle area
- Between 1 and maby 3 others max to sleep in it
- Hopefully used each month on outings for gold fever!
- Extra's / included - Power plug(s), water, gas stove(s), battery connection (ie: power), tool/storage box, WATERPROOF.
- Price would rather not cost more then $10k (with extra's)

Most of the extra's are as standard, but was told that one place isn't licenced to actually connect power and/or gas, as well as a 2nd place slightly amused (smiles and quotes "we can give you a certificate" of electrical safety) when I ask if I would recieve one.

Don't know what more to add, except that I'm not really into trying to put an actual tent up now a days!

Cheers,

Josh.

Ps:  work night shift, so I'm never usually around during normal hours.

:4x4:    -  Nissan X - Trail, auto / diesel.

Offline Jason B

• "Mark Goldie recovery team coordinator"
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • 80 Series Turbo DX Cruiser, Kimberley Kamper 2013 SE
Re: New Melbournian, still hunting the camper trailer
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 07:49:37 PM »
welcome Josh.

There is a wealth of knowledge on here mate. You will get plenty for your $10k if you are prepared to look at second hand campers. 10k is fairly limiting if you are are after brand new and specifically want a hard floor. 10k will get you a great soft floor (new or used).

It really depends on what you need. You get a lot more space in a soft floor and many are easy to put up, also you will usually get more features in the trailer itself especially in the 10k second hand bracket.

Make a wish list mate on what items are essential and what are options or wants you would like and then just compare the brands and see which ticks the most boxes for the money.

Happy hunting.

Regards

jas

Offline Pete_R

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 08:10:08 PM »
Hi Josh. Welcome to MySwag. As Jason mentioned, check out used campers as well - more bang for your bucks
cheers
Pete

2014 200 Series TTD V8 Land Cruiser VX with quite a few extras.
2015 Lotus Freelander 19'6" caravan. (Previously Complete Campsite Uluru XT 16 camper trailer)

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • If 1 turbo is good, 2 must be better. VK3GJG
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 08:59:47 PM »
Welcome to the Forum Josh, keep looking around on the site and asking questions, heaps of info avaialble, keep watching the classisfieds and something may come up as a bargain

GG

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2011, 09:07:52 PM »
Quote from: coles525
3) Dingo (last on a list of choices!

Have you met Dingo man... its an education!!!! Dude speaks bout 1200 words a minute.

Since your lookin at <$10,000 I don't think you will get much in a Hardfloor for that price... Not new anyway.

As for assembling a tent and floor, they are all joined, and move out in 1 movement on most soft floors...

Do yourself a favour, look at Trackabout, Tambo and Tru Blu... IMWO, they will eat the others you have listed. Never heard a bad word about any of them.
http://www.trackabout.com.au/
http://www.tambocampers.com.au/
http://www.trublucampers.com.au/

or just bide your time, and wait for a bargain used one to come up

« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 09:34:17 AM by Lost »
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Paul Mac

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Bolwell Edge
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2011, 09:13:15 PM »
You might like to check out Pinnacle Campers up at Ballarat. Google Pinnacle Campers to see them.

I think Mandrake was heading up there to take a look at them. They offer a hard floor camper under $10,000 with everything your looking for.

I've seen their soft floor off road campers and they look fairly smart for the money.

Cheers.

Offline coles525

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2011, 01:29:09 AM »
Thanks for everyone's input, I shall look at the other makers given as well as keep looking in the used sections.

Lost - I actually spoke to the son, who wasn't that bad.

Offline FJWALLY

• Swag User
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2011, 04:15:16 AM »
I went with Mars campers because I got the bones of a NEW trailer and still had plenty of $$ left in the budget to mod it up with plenty of extras as time goes by - my experience with most things is that you will always find parts of something that you don't like and will replace so the cleaner the slate the easier to justify the improvements.
my 50 cents!

Good luck with the hunting - it's very confusing at times.

Offline lilstookie

• Traveling Lab Rats
  • Soft Floor Camper User
    • http://facebook.com/thewanderingjocks
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2011, 10:00:42 AM »
We pick up our Aussie Jay's CT on Saturday and will be able to post some pics after then ;) . We wanted somewhere localish (only 110kms away!) and able to look at others being made. When we arrived on a Saturday afternoon, Jason very happily spent an hour or so talking to us and answering questions. While it's not completely Australian made (tent is an Austrack import), I like that it's a small business and only about two trailers leave the factory each week. There is a 12 month warranty, though I have no doubt if there was any issue after that we would be looked after.
We had budgeted around $8000 but decided we would much prefer to spend a little more to get (we believe) a lot more than something like the E&Z trailers. Our trailer has come in at under $10000 with Drifta kitchen and motorbike rack as extras and we are happy with that. We are very likely to be traveling and living in it next year for at least a few months and feel that the one we have decided on will allow us to do that with no issues.

Have fun deciding....you could spend years, so just bit the bullet when you find one you like!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If the spelling and grammar are good, it's a post from Lil. If not, the mad Scot is on the keyboard ;)

Add us on facebook and keep up to date with our big lap .
www.facebook.com/TheWanderingJocks or follow our blog

Offline Snow

• Follow me, I'll be right behind you.
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2011, 10:38:47 AM »
G'day Josh and welcome to Myswag.  :cheers:
A vision without action is a dillusion

The Snowmobile: 2017 Ford Everest Trend with heaps of fruit
The Snowcave: 2023 Austrack Tanami X13
2008 Cub Supamatic XTD

Offline ralphedward

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2011, 08:07:31 PM »
Welcome Josh,

This site will spin you out with the amount of advice you can (and will get)  take your time as there are options everywhere, and only you know what your needs are. having said that, my recommendation is Tambo.  PM me if you want more info as to why!

All the best

Mark
SWMBO made me do it (whatever it was I did)!
VW Amarok & 'Cooper' the Tambo.

Offline Heiny

• "All who wander are not lost"
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2011, 06:20:45 AM »
Hi Josh and welcome to My Swag

bubba :cheers:
NM Pajero GLS 3.2 DiD manual
2008 Jayco Flamingo Outback

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2011, 06:31:13 AM »
Josh Welcome to MySwag . Now that your here we can show you almost anything you need & really dont need to see . Dont be afraid to ask no matter how silly it may sounds ( we have herd some rippers !! ) Have a poke about make a list but enjoy  :cheers: :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline watto11

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • http://www.facebook.com/pages/Watsonfamilycamping/165262510248075
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2011, 07:09:39 AM »
Hey josh welcome

Offline brickiematt

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Life member of the Silverton Hotel
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2011, 04:32:58 PM »

« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 04:47:58 PM by brickiematt »
Mitsubishi Pajero NT GLS
2015 Kimberley Kamper Classic

Offline harvs

• Swag User
    • Shootme productions
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2011, 09:51:02 PM »
Welcome Josh.
There us such a huge choice of camper trailers these days that it can be a vert confusing exercise when choosing your first CT.
I would suggest exploring the new local market first. If you can't afford a new one. At least you'll have an understanding of the various makes and models that you may find in the local second hand market. Buying a well known unit second hand will allow you some manufacturer repairs if needed. And possibly a better resale price. Others have mentioned try blu, and tambo, also worth a look is outback campers in Carrum.
Good luck, and keep us posted.