Author Topic: Remote controlled flying things-Quads, Hex, Octo or anything  (Read 673370 times)

Offline Crisp Image

• Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it again!
  • Hard Floor Camper User
Remote controlled flying things-Quads, Hex, Octo or anything
« on: January 03, 2014, 08:35:42 PM »
Not wanting to take over the RC cars thread I have decided to make one for flying things.
So post up your Radio controlled flying things and ask questions. I am only new to the RC world so I am learning as I go.
Here are some pics of my current toy. Will be building a Tricopter in a couple of weeks with Little Image No1

So post up and have the discussion.
Regards
Crispy

2008 Outback Sturt, 2010 Prado 150 D4D Tug

KingBilly

Re: Remote controlled flying things-Quads, Hex, Octo or anything
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 08:40:51 PM »
A thread for flying stuff like this?

Second flight Orvillecopter Small | Large

KB

Offline oldmate

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2014, 08:41:26 PM »
I so want one but wife says no.

Maybe I can say its a safety issue. If we get lost I can put it in the air to see where we are. Yeah that may work.

Ps what is a setup like that worth?
Our Blog. A work in progress
https://www.facebook.com/UltimateAdventuresBlog/

KingBilly

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2014, 08:44:24 PM »
Ps what is a setup like that worth?

The dead cat is usually free (let me know if you want one) but not sure about the rest of the setup  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

KB

Offline oldmate

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2014, 08:49:29 PM »
Pmsl
Our Blog. A work in progress
https://www.facebook.com/UltimateAdventuresBlog/

Marschy

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2014, 09:28:23 PM »
Should have my F450 quadcopter knockoff early next week. I'll post up some pictures as I put it together.

Cheers, Marschy

Offline gec

• Swag User
  • 5.7 V8 Powered GQ Patrol
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2014, 01:18:02 AM »
here's some of mine. not all of which survive.

Ex Western Patrol Club Member, growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional.

Marschy

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2014, 07:40:48 AM »
That's a nice collection of warbirds Gec.

Cheers, Marschy

Offline Crisp Image

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2014, 10:06:15 AM »
What radio gear are you planning to use Marschy? I use a spektrum DX8 and AR8000 rx. It is 8ch so I have a little room to move and customize.
Regards
Crispy

Sent from my GT-I9210T using Tapatalk

Marschy

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2014, 03:18:35 PM »
Hello Crispy,

I going to be using the FlySky FS-T6 2.4Ghz digitial 6 channel.

Picked one up for under $100 delivered, but you can get them for as little as $70 if you are willing to wait on international snail mail.

I also considered the Turnigy 9XR for around $60 US (excluding shipping), this doesn't include the separate RF module. All up including shipping would be around $120, or cheaper yet on ebay via international snail mail from China.

The 9 channel would be better for FPV with 2 or 3 axis gimballed camera and I should have considered that, but for these prices if the 6 channel is insufficient, I will get a 9 channel for under $100 if need be.

This is the kit I have purchased for the quad, bit of DIY in front on me in the next month. This was $124.78 US

In Aussie dollars the radio and kit set me back $297.62 which is pretty good I think. If I already had a suitable radio I would have got away with around a $200 outlay for just the kit.

This is a link to the kit for anyone interested. Please note, this is a Chinese knockoff of Crispy's DJI Flamewheel which is an excellent quad.

F450 Flamewheel kit

There are cheaper 6 channel radios on the market, but unless they are digitally proportional, I wouldn't consider buying them myself.

Cheers, Marshy

Offline Crisp Image

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2014, 04:07:27 PM »
Hello Crispy,

I going to be using the FlySky FS-T6 2.4Ghz digitial 6 channel.

Picked one up for under $100 delivered, but you can get them for as little as $70 if you are willing to wait on international snail mail.

I also considered the Turnigy 9XR for around $60 US (excluding shipping), this doesn't include the separate RF module. All up including shipping would be around $120, or cheaper yet on ebay via international snail mail from China.

The 9 channel would be better for FPV with 2 or 3 axis gimballed camera and I should have considered that, but for these prices if the 6 channel is insufficient, I will get a 9 channel for under $100 if need be.

This is the kit I have purchased for the quad, bit of DIY in front on me in the next month. This was $124.78 US

In Aussie dollars the radio and kit set me back $297.62 which is pretty good I think. If I already had a suitable radio I would have got away with around a $200 outlay for just the kit.

This is a link to the kit for anyone interested. Please note, this is a Chinese knockoff of Crispy's DJI Flamewheel which is an excellent quad.

F450 Flamewheel kit

There are cheaper 6 channel radios on the market, but unless they are digitally proportional, I wouldn't consider buying them myself.

Cheers, Marshy

Nice kit. Be interesting how the FC goes and how long it takes before you upgrade it with GPS ect.

Marschy

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2014, 05:06:50 PM »
The KK5.5 v2.3 flight control board that comes with the kit is not going onto the quad. I have a KK2.1 flight control board on the way from Hobby King. Much easier to setup by the look of it without having to cart a laptop around.

The only issue with the KK2.0 or 2.1 is they have to be mounted on the top of the quad to get access to the programming buttons, you can't bury the FC like you have with your Naza setup.

Already looking at Ardupilot APM 2.6 flight control board (and all the add on bits like GPS/OSD etc) which will happen after I have a few flights with the KK2.1 and get the camera setup working first for FPV. Can get these for about $200 delivered with everything I need for UAV.

Flying fixed wing RC models taught me one thing, I will put the quad into the dirt as some stage. I don't want to mount my AEE Magicam on the quad. I'm going to get a separate camera lens (similar to your top camera), microphone and DVR module for recording.  That way when I crash (and I will), the camera components have a chance of not being written off completely. Compare that with putting the quad into the dirt with the Magicam on the front and scratching $200 worth of camera in one foul swoop.

Crispy, can you let me know what your all up weight is so far. I'm curious about the lift capacity of the motors that are supplied in my kit. They are 1000kv, but the housing is a generic housing that is used for about a dozen different kv sizes, so I'm a little bit dubious about the motors in my kit.

Cheers, Marschy

Offline Crisp Image

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2014, 07:42:50 PM »

Crispy, can you let me know what your all up weight is so far. I'm curious about the lift capacity of the motors that are supplied in my kit. They are 1000kv, but the housing is a generic housing that is used for about a dozen different kv sizes, so I'm a little bit dubious about the motors in my kit.

Cheers, Marschy
My AUW is currently 2060g but with the new motors it will be about 2150g.
It looks like your motors will lift about 730g ea so that means about 2920g in total. Divide that my 2 and that makes an acceptable AUW of 1460g. I believe you should have twice the amount of thrust than AUW. That is on 10x5 props by the way.
I have yet to put my quad into the dirt hard but I am using the NAZA FC which almost flys the quad by its self.
It will be fun flying the tri on the KK2.1
Regards
Crispy

Marschy

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2014, 07:48:05 PM »
What motors did you decide on to replace the originals?

Offline Crisp Image

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2014, 07:56:35 PM »
T-Motors (Tiger) 2216-11 900kv. About 1100-1200g thrust on a 4s battery with the right prop.

Marschy

« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2014, 08:04:51 PM »
Here is a good site that lists functionality provided by most of the readily available flight control boards

Best Flight Controller For Quadcopter and Multicopter

The ArduCopter APM 2.5 rates right up there. That's cool 'cause I'm looking at getting 2.6 version, but I may change my mind after I do a bit more research, especially now that I can compare other flight controllers from this list.

Offline Ynot

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Tony. Prado 150 GXL, Coromal 632RTP
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2014, 10:00:49 PM »
Not quite as high tech as you guys but my daughters bought me a helicopter about 50cm long for Chrissy.

It didn't fly too well and particularly wouldn't go forward. Ended up glueing a ball sinker in the nose cone and it now works well.

No as I had this falling out of the sky everywhere my misses went to get some new blades and found that the shop had several returns of the same brand but in better condition so she asked if she could get one whole unit cheap to use as spares.

$50 later and when she brought it home I thought what if I just change the modified nose cone over to the spare chopper. The returned unit works perfectly so for the sake of a sinker I have a second chopper for bugger all!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?  (Homer J Simpson).

Marschy

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2014, 10:14:42 PM »
Hey Ynot,

I purchased a cheap Kogan quadcopter for Xmas for $99 and after seeing for myself how easy they are to fly, I thought I'd like to try something that gave me more options regarding photography. I know what you mean about spares, I've already ordered new blades for my Kogan UFO quad.

The little choppers are good fun and an inexpensive way of seeing if you are capable of flying one confidently before moving to something more sophisticated. But it seems with these quads, the more you spend, the easier they are to fly once set up.

Not sure if I'm competent enough yet, but hey, gotta have a hobby.

Cheers, Marschy

Offline SteveandViv

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Never get sick of being here
    • Our Travel Blog - Have a look....
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2014, 10:23:38 PM »
I think if your going to post on here you must include video's. You can't really expect us to just sit here and read - can you ;D
http://steveandviv.blogspot.com.au/

Offline Crisp Image

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2014, 12:12:45 PM »
Be patient there will be videos oh yes there will be videos!

Sent from my GT-I9210T using Tapatalk

Offline chriso57

• Swag User
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2014, 12:29:34 PM »
 I went into Jaycar for a couple of blade fuse holders the other day. Bloody expensive things they are! It was OK though cos they gave me a free helicopter >:D
2012 D4D Prado towing
Custom built 7x4 Soft floor

Offline rodw

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2014, 01:23:14 PM »
Funny you guys started this thread. I had a 25cc Whipper Snipper that the starter spring jammed up in so I did this

And now I have got this far and am not quite sure what to do next....

All of the surplus casting has been milled away and you can see the flywheel has been heavily trimmed on my lathe and mill to save weight.

The 14"  prop is a bit small but it was the biggest the hobby shop had.

I was going to mount it on a stand and wire in a kill switch to see if I could start it by flipping the prop before getting carried away.

Any help or guidance will be appreciated. I think it needs to go in an 80" wing span plane.

Marschy

« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2014, 05:42:28 PM »
These engines usually have an ideal carby. Does it use a diaphragm pump? It could propel a plane with about a 2+ metre wing span, typically a 1/4 scale WWII fighter sized plane.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 06:11:55 PM by Marschy »

Marschy

« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2014, 05:51:15 PM »
Watched a few tutorials on making 5.8gHz clover leaf antenna because I don't have a life LOL. Then went shopping on the net for same, only to see that some of the commercially available antennas are so poorly made its convinced me to have a go at making two for myself. I reckon I could do a better job than some of them.

Have a look at this antenna and tell me you couldn't do a better job yourself.

FPV Video antenna 5.8Ghz Tx - 3 bladed cloverleaf

This is a pretty good tutorial for making them

DIY: FPV backpack build part 2 (antennas)

Offline rodw

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2014, 06:32:14 PM »
These engines usually have an ideal carby. Does it use a diaphragm pump? It could propel a plane with about a 2+ metre wing span, typically a 1/4 scale WWII fighter sized plane.

Marschy, thanks. Yes, it is a Zama carby with a priming bulb. The engine is out of a Ryobi and is the same as the Homelite often used in the US. They have a very big shroud which i have milled off. Unfortunately, it has a fixed high idle jet but you can alter the low idle mixture. I had it all apart and cleaned the carby and it was a goer but the starter came apart soon after so I hacked into it. I turned up a prop spinner yesterday but was a bit light on for material so used the existing shafts which I tapped to hold the prop on. I will remake this later in the week.

Would the transmitter you ordered do the job on this Rig? Maybe I should get the 9 channel and swap You? What Servos to get? I thought a big plane might need more powerful servos.

Rod