Author Topic: The Itinerary  (Read 15839 times)

Offline JCOJ

• Hard Top Camper User
The Itinerary
« on: August 20, 2013, 01:36:15 PM »
Below is the itinerary for the MySwag Red Centre Trip.

Attractions that people can view include:

-   West MacDonnell Ranges inc: Ormiston Gorge, Serpentine Gorge, Ellery Creek Big Hole, Standley Chasm
-   Driving along the Old Ghan Track
-   Chambers Pillar
-   Finke
-   Lambert’s Centre of Australia
-   Ayers Rock
-   Kings Canyon
-   Driving on the Meerenie Loop
-   Palm Valley
-   Finke Gorge National Park inc Boggy Hole and Running Waters
-   Henbury Meteorite crater
-   The historical sites in Owen Springs Reserve
-   East MacDonnell Ranges inc Jessie Gap, Corroboree Rock, Trephina Gorge, Arltunga Homestead ruins
-             Travel on the Binns Track
-   The opportunity to join in on a gemstone fossicking tour

I have tried to incorporate all the following aspects in trying to have a little bit  for everyone:

-   Not travelling on every day to give people sufficient breaks, rest, and tourist time
-   Travelling on both bitumen and gravel roads
-   Trying to incorporate some challenging tracks too
-   Trying to see as much as possible that this area has to offer
-   Trying to vary the accommodation from caravan parks to bush camping
-   Making it so people can do as much or as little as they want of the trip with no requirement to do the whole lot if they don’t want to.

So here it is:

Legend:  P = Powered, UP = Unpowered, F = Family, FP = Family Powered, FUP = Family Unpowered
Please note that all prices are for 2013, and unless otherwise indicated price is for 2 adults.

28th June:
Alice Springs
MacDonnell Range Holiday Park: Palm Place, Alice Springs (08) 8952 6111 / 1800 808 373
$45pn + $ $9.50per child (P)  $39pn + $9.50per child (UP)
w: http://www.macrange.com.au/home.html    e: macrange@macrange.com.au

Day Trips can include various sites in the West MacDonnell Ranges including Redbank Gorge, Ormiston Gorge, Serpetine Gorge, Ellery Creeek Big Hole Stanley Chasm, and Simpsons Gap.

Also opportunity to explore the sites of Alice Springs inc. Alice Springs Desert Park, Telegraph Station Historical Reserve, Reptile Centre, Road Transport Hall of Fame, RFDS Centre, School of the Air etc

29th June:
Alice Springs
as above

30th June:
Alice Springs – Chambers Pillar:  164kms
Bush Camping with pit toilets; camping fee approx. $3.50pp through honour system upon entry

1st July:
Chambers Pillar – Kulgera:  323kms (on Old Ghan Railway via Finke & Lambert’s Centre of Australia)
Kulgera Roadhouse: Stuart Hwy, Kulgera (08) 8956 0973
$20pn (P) $15 (UP) extra person $3

2nd July:
Kulgera – Yulara:  318kms (all bitumen, via Erldunda)
Ayers Rock Resort Campground: (08) 8957 7001
 $46pn (P) $55pn (FP), $36pn (UP) $45pn (FUP)
w: www.ayersrockresort.com.au    e: campground.reception@ayers.voyages.com.au

3rd July:
Yulara
Visit Ayers Rock / Olgas

4th July:
Yulara
As above

5th July:
Yulara – Kings Creek Station: 269kms
w: www.kingscreekstation.com.au   e: res@kingscreekstation.com.au  (08) 8956 7474
$42pn (P) $48pn (FP), $38pn (UP) $43pn (FUP)

6th July:
Kings Creek Station
Explore Kings Canyon and Kathleen Springs

7th July:
Kings Creek Station – Palm Valley:  249kms (via Meerenie Loop & Hermannsburg)
$6.60pppn, $15.70pn (F) has solar showers and toilets

8th July:
Palm Valley – Owen Springs Reserve: 269kms (via Finke Gorge NP inc  Boggy Hole and Running Waters, can visit Henbury Meteorite Crater  )
Redbank Waterhole: bush camping with no facilities, $10 per night

9th July:
Owen Springs Reserve – Ross River Resort: 181kms (via Alice Springs to re-stock)
Ross River Resort: (08) 8956 9711
Camping ground from $18
w: www.rossriverresort.com.au    e: rrr@rossriverresort.com.au   

10th July:
Ross River Resort
Chance to explore Emilie’s Gap, Jesse’s Gap, Corroboree Rock, Trephina Gorge, Ruby Gap Gorge, and Glen Annie Gorge

11th July:
Ross River Resort – The Gemtree: 152kms (34 kms bitumen, via Arltunga Homestead Ruins on the Binns Track)
Gemtree Caravan Park: (08) 8956 9855
$30pn (P) $22pn (UP) Kids $5pn
w: www.gemtree.com.au    e: gemtree@gemtree.com.au   

12th July:
The Gemtree
(As we will staying on a Saturday night they have a camp oven kitchen open with roast beef and veg right out of the hot camp ovens and on the your plate. The cost is $15.00pp)

Join in a Fossicking Tour: Tours cost $75 for one or two adults, $5 for children under 13, $15 for students under 18 and under 5 free.

13th July:
Make your own way home from The Gemtree
It is 140kms north east from Alice Springs

For the caravan parks, people can make their own bookings so I am not responsible for deposits, cancellations etc.  Do mention you are with the MySwag Group so they can place us all together.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 10:03:32 PM by JCOJ »

Offline KieranR

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: The Itinerary
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2013, 10:27:37 PM »
Sounds bloody great.

Offline Ynot

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Tony. Prado 150 GXL, Coromal 632RTP
The Itinerary
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2013, 10:45:28 PM »
Sounds like a good trip, a lot of effort goes in to putting these together. Well done

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?  (Homer J Simpson).

Offline SteveandViv

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Never get sick of being here
    • Our Travel Blog - Have a look....
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013, 01:46:04 AM »
Yea, I think you've covered all the good bits so every one can come and go at some point. Were still keen so will look to cross paths for a few bit and pieces as well.
http://steveandviv.blogspot.com.au/

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013, 08:11:26 AM »
Great looking itinerary. Looks like people can choose where they want to go and skip days/locations if they want without too much trouble.
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline Shoey

• Swag User
  • Living the dream
    • Our Big Trip
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2013, 05:06:50 PM »
damn were already here in alice for 3 months and have done some of the itinerary already so We would definitely recommend this trip

cheers Shoey and Jilly
Toyota Landcruiser LC200
gone to the darkside sorry now have a 21 foot van traveling Australia in retirement

Offline fuji

• "Tail End Charlie"
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "nolle timere" Don't be afraid
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2013, 12:28:20 AM »
Just stayed at MacDonnell Ranges C/P. And as usual, a peacful rest stop.  $$$ John for your information G'day mate is across the street and looks nice as well.  Save 10-15 $
2017 (79 series) Landcruiser, and Evernew E100😎

Offline JCOJ

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2013, 09:43:12 PM »
Looks like a nice spot Fuji.

I'm booked into MacDonnell Range already, however it doesn't really matter where people stay in Alice Springs as there will be a set meeting place and time on the day we leave for Chambers Pillar.

Offline StevenB

• Tent User
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2013, 12:35:56 PM »
just booked for MacDonnell range and they didn't have anything listed for myswag
2015 LC200 GXl with KDSS
2017 Drifta DOT6 DOT216 "Blue DOT"

Offline JCOJ

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2013, 04:26:43 PM »
just booked for MacDonnell range and they didn't have anything listed for myswag

I did tell them - typical!  Just say you are part of the John Cullen group for anyone else that is booking if they don't get the MySwag suggestion - and that is for all the places that need bookings!

Offline StevenB

• Tent User
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2013, 07:54:01 PM »
I did tell them - typical!  Just say you are part of the John Cullen group for anyone else that is booking if they don't get the MySwag suggestion - and that is for all the places that need bookings!

Ayres Rock found it, once I said that it was one word
2015 LC200 GXl with KDSS
2017 Drifta DOT6 DOT216 "Blue DOT"

KingBilly

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2013, 02:46:25 PM »
OK, booked MacDonnell Range Holiday Park, Ayers Rock Resort Campground and Ross River Resort.  All under myswag, no issues.

Phoned Kulgera Roadhouse and was told no need to book.  Asked if they would be full and they took my name but no deposit.  Is this what others found?  Maybe I need to call back in a month or two.  Interested what others did?

Left message at Kings Creek Station as could only book online for the cabins.

We probably won't go to Gemtree as we will be staying there on the way over via the Plenty.  At this stage we will leave the group from Ross River.

KB

Offline lindamc

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • Woodsies Photography
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2013, 03:21:30 PM »
yes KB that's what I did for Kulgera. But booked Kings creek as part of myswag group. Individuals don't need to book there.
Linda & Kristin
Prado & Aussie jay camper
Melbourne

Offline JCOJ

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2013, 04:28:52 PM »
Kulgera has a huge open space unpowered camping area, hence the reason they don't take bookings.

They wouldn't take a booking from me either, and I told them I was part of a big group - their response was 'look forward to seeing you' and that was it.

The pic below is the best one I could find of Kulgera - I just remember it being sooo cold that night that the next morning a pair of shorts that had been left out overnight had frozen solid!!

« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 04:39:56 PM by JKohn »

Offline shrek4

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Lifestyle AT12 & 2020 Nissan Patrol Ti-L
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2013, 04:48:25 PM »
OK, booked MacDonnell Range Holiday Park, Ayers Rock Resort Campground and Ross River Resort.  All under myswag, no issues.

Phoned Kulgera Roadhouse and was told no need to book.  Asked if they would be full and they took my name but no deposit.  Is this what others found?  Maybe I need to call back in a month or two.  Interested what others did?

KB

I phoned Kulgera Roadhouse and spoke to Reg Philips. He took my name and mobile but no CC for a deposit etc. In fact, I think it was only the MacDonnell Range Holiday Park that took a deposit.

Seems there were 3-4 of the myswag group ringing around today making bookings. Most seemed well rehearsed with the dates etc when I called.

Offline brickiematt

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Life member of the Silverton Hotel
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2013, 05:16:57 PM »
Did all our bookings a few weeks ago. I think I'll ring around tomorrow to double check we are with the group, though they all seemed to know what I was talking about.

Now to plan our trip up; will head up via the Oodnadatta track, if anyone else is interested you are more than welcome to join us.  Home via the highway and Coober Pedy, Port Augusta etc.

Can't wait for this ;D ;D ;D
 :cheers:
Mitsubishi Pajero NT GLS
2015 Kimberley Kamper Classic

Offline lindamc

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • Woodsies Photography
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2013, 05:46:15 PM »

Now to plan our trip up; will head up via the Oodnadatta track, if anyone else is interested you are more than welcome to join us.  Home via the highway and Coober Pedy, Port Augusta etc.

Can't wait for this ;D ;D ;D
 :cheers:

Matt, I intend to go up the Oodnadatta via flinders ranges, but only as far as the turn off to coober pedy, so if our days coordinate I would love to do the Oodnadatta part with you.
Linda & Kristin
Melbourne

Offline shrek4

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2013, 05:51:25 PM »

Hmmm, very interested.

What dates have you in mind? Also do you know what the roads would be like, how long it would take etc? We'd likely only go so far as Coober Pedy if we went too.
We're very flexible and happy thinking out aloud for now.

Offline brickiematt

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2013, 07:03:43 PM »
Matt, I intend to go up the Oodnadatta via flinders ranges, but only as far as the turn off to coober pedy, so if our days coordinate I would love to do the Oodnadatta part with you.

Hmmm, very interested.

What dates have you in mind? Also do you know what the roads would be like, how long it would take etc? We'd likely only go so far as Coober Pedy if we went too.
We're very flexible and happy thinking out aloud for now.

Hey linda and shrek, would love you guys to join us (how can i resist a fellow AJ's owner linda ;D)

I just have a very rough plan in mind at the moment, but we will probably leave on the Sat or Sun of the weekend before (21st or 22nd). A couple of big days driving; Melbourne to Renmark or Waikerie, then Leigh Creek or Farina. Then up the Oodnadatta to Marla. I'm thinking of 2 nights at Coward Springs, with a day trip to William Creek and Lake Eyre, another night somewhere (maybe Algebuckina?), then onto Marla and the Stuart Hwy. We've booked Mcdonnell Ranges park from the Friday 27th, just to keep our options open if we arrive at Alice a day early.
So thats the rough idea, we're open to thoughts and ideas though.

Shrek, this will be our first time in the area, so I can't comment on the roads, but I'm sure there's many Swaggers who have driven those roads who could share their thoughts. DannyG recently returned from a trip through Central, his report is a great read and will give you some idea of what to expect, plus whet the appetite for the trip! http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=31783.0

Let me know your thoughts, and as I said, we'd love to have some company ;D
Cheers
Matt
Mitsubishi Pajero NT GLS

Offline shrek4

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2013, 07:06:46 PM »
I'll take a moment to digest that.

Also, for anyone (like me) that likes to see it all laid out on a calendar I've created a draft for ourselves which anyone is welcome to take a copy of.

http://sdrv.ms/17zkoZ9

Offline brickiematt

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2013, 07:41:07 PM »
Good idea shrek, thanks!

I'll also add that Hema's "Great Desert Tracks Atlas & Guide" is a great source of information for the trip. The maps show the route JKohn has planned for us in excellent detail.  IMO well worth a look for anyone coming on this trip.
Mitsubishi Pajero NT GLS

Offline lindamc

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • Woodsies Photography
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2013, 09:31:08 PM »
My thoughts on travelling up. So hoping this will coincide, especially with the Oodnadatta track part:
sat 21st june travel to Renmark (7hrs 38min, 724km)
sun 22nd june travel to Parachilna (5hrs 30min, 528km)
mon 23rd june travel to Coward Springs (4hrs 23 min,317km)
tue stay at coward springs come for day drive to lake eyre
wed 25th travel to Algebukina (174km 3hrs 40min)
thur 26th travel to Marla (178km 3hrs 43min)
fri 27th travel to Alice Springs (449km 5hrs 10 min)

The MySwag trip

Coming back home, for anyone interested in joining:
14/7 Alice to Coober Pedy (688km 7hrs 37min)
15th stay at Coober
16th Coober Pedy to Port Germain (608km 6hrs 11min)
17th Port Germain to Beachport (632km 6hrs 47 min)
18th stay at beachport
19th beachport to Johannas beach ( 393km 4hrs 57min)
20th Johannas beach to home

I'll also add that Hema's "Great Desert Tracks Atlas & Guide" is a great source of information for the trip. The maps show the route JKohn has planned for us in excellent detail.  IMO well worth a look for anyone coming on this trip.

Thanks for that Matt, will go and get a copy.
Love your calendar schedule shrek.

Linda & Kristin
Melbourne

Offline brickiematt

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2013, 12:38:44 PM »
My thoughts on travelling up. So hoping this will coincide, especially with the Oodnadatta track part:
sat 21st june travel to Renmark (7hrs 38min, 724km)
sun 22nd june travel to Parachilna (5hrs 30min, 528km)
or Leigh Creek (6hrs 594km)
or Lyndhurst (6hrs 30min 632km)
mon 23rd june travel to Coward Springs (4hrs 23 min,317km)
tue stay at coward springs come for day drive to lake eyre
wed 25th travel to Algebukina (174km 3hrs 40min)
thur 26th travel to Marla (178km 3hrs 43min)
fri 27th travel to Alice Springs (449km 5hrs 10 min)

Looks like a pretty good plan to me linda! An option to keep open is on the Sunday we push on to Leigh Creek or even Lyndhurst. It means 2 reasonably big days on the road, but its all blacktop. This may give us a bit more time to explore the sights on the southern part of the track on the way to Coward Springs.
 Early planning stages at the moment, but we've got plenty of time to do some fine tuning. It would be easy for shrek4 or anyone else interested in joining us to meet up at Parachilna or somewhere similar.
Did I mention we're really looking forward to this trip ;D
Mitsubishi Pajero NT GLS

Offline lindamc

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • Woodsies Photography
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2013, 12:53:16 PM »
Fantastic! Parachilna, Leigh Creek or Lyndhurst doesn't matter, as long as we stop somewhere under 7hrs of driving Im happy. Who would have thought instead of meeting you and your family at Murrindindi, we would meet on this huge exciting adventure!
I hope Shrek can coincide with us as well, would be great  :D
We are also very excited about the trip in the red centre, and I am equally excited about the drive to get there and back. My partner is flying up and will meet us at AS, so it will be just my daughter and me. She is not excited at all, rather anxious about all the unknowns......she's opposite to me  ;D
Linda & Kristin
Melbourne

Offline shrek4

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2013, 12:54:49 PM »
I hope Shrek can coincide with us as well, would be great  :D

I'm working on it  ;D