Author Topic: The CUB CLUB  (Read 261373 times)

Offline Wazza2

• Tent User
  • Campfires rule!
Re: The CUB CLUB
« Reply #300 on: July 21, 2013, 03:55:36 PM »
So we had a park brake again but with the Alko universal mechanism on there the opening of the Prado rear door had become a close call on flat ground and no go if the rear of the car was dipped down at all.

Today's job, after a lovely morning canoe up Lawn Hill Gorge, was take a bit more off the lever so it rested a bit lower when not in use.

Another bit of work on the angle grinder and we're right I think.

And now we have no dangling bit hanging below the D-Bar

As they say, just like a bought one! I think I'll go for a dip now

Offline wato100

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #301 on: July 21, 2013, 08:08:26 PM »
very nice mod Wazza
 It will definitely be something I will be looking at on our cub

Wato

Offline corynmelnkids

• Tent User
« Reply #302 on: July 21, 2013, 08:29:43 PM »
It will only work if you have electric brakes fitted to your cub.
2003 Toyota Prado Turbo dsl
Cub Supamatic Escape Offroad
Stacer 349 Cartopper with a Suzuki 5hp 4 stroke
All set now for a big trip just need the money
and time off work.

Offline Neil_cricket

• Swag User
« Reply #303 on: July 24, 2013, 09:14:08 PM »
Does anyone know if the new stockman handbrake protector will stop the issue Wazza2 faced  :D
Neil
Currently 80 series landcruiser

Offline Wazza2

• Tent User
  • Campfires rule!
« Reply #304 on: July 26, 2013, 07:33:57 PM »
From the photo on their website the handbrake protector on the stockman looks similar to what i had initially. Not certain though.

If you are looking at a demo one then maybe grab a pic to compare.

In the end, it's a simple enough mod to get done. A bit rough in my example but hey, it's a bush repair and we're still travelling and it's still working

Offline Wazza2

• Tent User
  • Campfires rule!
« Reply #305 on: July 26, 2013, 07:35:05 PM »
And yes, it suits electric brakes only

Offline sablesoft

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Green Cub Supamatic Escape Off Road
« Reply #306 on: July 26, 2013, 10:11:13 PM »
Does anyone know if the new stockman handbrake protector will stop the issue Wazza2 faced  :D

I purchased this brake protector from Cub in early 2010, seams quite strong, havent tested it yet!
I think this brake protector was one of the early ones Cub made.

Ray
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 10:36:28 PM by sablesoft »
Green Cub Escape Off Road

Offline sablesoft

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #307 on: July 26, 2013, 10:34:14 PM »
I purchased this brake protector from Cub in early 2010, seams quite strong, havent tested it yet!
I think this brake protector was one of the early ones Cub made.

The bottom picture is on Wazza2 Cub. I think mine looks more robust, maybe the damage should be shown to Cub.

After seeing the damaged one I am thinking of welding extra reinforcing on to the protector plate to make stronger.

Ray

Offline corynmelnkids

• Tent User
« Reply #308 on: July 27, 2013, 10:34:14 AM »
I will have to check mine out when i get home. i agree with sablesoft his protector does look a lot heaver duty.
2003 Toyota Prado Turbo dsl
Cub Supamatic Escape Offroad
Stacer 349 Cartopper with a Suzuki 5hp 4 stroke
All set now for a big trip just need the money
and time off work.

Offline Herks

• Tent User
  • Not lost, just geographically displaced!!
« Reply #309 on: July 27, 2013, 11:51:22 AM »
Hi Folks

IMHO I am thinking that the protector is just that and in saying so it may just be designed to be sacrificial i.e.. designed to bend and absorb the impact. It would appear that it is held in place by the back 2 bolts which attach the coupling to the trailer.

I know which I would prefer to give, the protector which is easily straightened and does not prevent the trailer from being towed or have the bolts give way and or the mounting brackets bend. Result is a trailer which may no longer be safe to tow.

In saying this, most PROTECTIVE brackets/plates fitted to anything should be the cheaper and most convenient item to either straighten or replace, in that they have done their job and absorbed the impact with no further structural damage. It is not much good saying that the protector or plate has withstood the impact if there is major structural damage elsewhere. Its a simple law of physics, the energy has to be dissipated somewhere???

Just a thought.

Ta
John
Dmax Duel Cab LSU. Canopy, duel batteries, GVM Upgrade, Light Bar, Draw system, Fridge slide and much more. Avan Aspire Pop Top van, Many mods, 12v, 240v.

Offline Wazza2

• Tent User
  • Campfires rule!
« Reply #310 on: July 27, 2013, 09:50:41 PM »
I agree with herks to a degree. Something's gotta give.

In my current setup I think the rock or lump of ground i hit would be the thing to give. The draw-bar or bolts sticking down would cop a blow but I don't think any breakages there of the same thing happened.

PS - apologies for the upside down pic if you're viewing on an ipad. Can't figure out why ot does that or how to fix it as the laptop shows the pic right way up.

Offline thommo19

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #311 on: July 29, 2013, 06:12:40 PM »
Just come back from our first trip in our new Cub camper.
Up to Jimmy's Beach caravan park not our normal choice but good for our first time. Very clean place well located.

Offline just startin

• Swag User
« Reply #312 on: July 29, 2013, 08:27:34 PM »
GDay all, just letting you know about my run-in with the handbrake guard on my Drover. We were at Rawsley Park Station in the Flinders, I was reversing into our camp site over a rise when the brake guard caught and I continued reversing! Bingo guard bent in the opposite direction  180deg. Was and easy fix with a hammer. Works OK when going forward but be careful in reverse.
   Tony

Offline coops

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #313 on: August 06, 2013, 08:24:49 PM »
We are after some advice from the cub club. We are about the order a Supamatic escape speced up almost the a drover but we cant decide which colour. Love the look of the black but we will be doing heaps of off road trips and are concerned about the scratchs to the black paint work. Does anyone have a black cub and does it show all the bush pinstriping. Dark grey is our next choice in colour, not interested in the white green or tan.

Offline Brumbypt

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Trailers, trailers, trailers, trailers..
The CUB CLUB
« Reply #314 on: August 06, 2013, 09:13:09 PM »
Are the owners of CUB on this forum??

Tapa talker
1993 80 series landcruiser

KIMBOPRADO

« Reply #315 on: August 06, 2013, 10:36:33 PM »
Hi all

Another new member to the cub club, picking up 07 cub supamatic escape off road this weekend, can't wait- used only 4 times by previous owner - great condition.....

images

screen shot on pc

Been enjoying the site and all the advice

Cheers kim
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 10:38:43 PM by KIMBOPRADO »

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #316 on: August 06, 2013, 10:36:47 PM »
Mine is white so I can't help there, but my vehicle is dark green and on the darker the vehicle the more the scratches etc stand out esp on a dusty road
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline sablesoft

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #317 on: August 06, 2013, 11:46:23 PM »
Hi,

Colors are a personal thing.

I really like my lime green Cub Escape, picture below is on the Fraser Island Barge.

Ray

Offline Bunyip

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Lucky to have such a supportive SWMBO as LB
« Reply #318 on: August 07, 2013, 06:55:54 AM »
Hi all

Another new member to the cub club, picking up 07 cub supamatic escape off road this weekend, can't wait- used only 4 times by previous owner - great condition.....

Been enjoying the site and all the advice

Cheers kim

Hi Kim and welcome to MySwag. Such a friendly place to hang around and have a chat.

New camper looks great, lots of people in the Cub Club to give advice should you need it.

Don't forget to post in the Introductions section and once you have the camper start up a thread int he my camper section as well.

Bunyip
2002 Landcruiser GXV

Offline Terry W4

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Retired - loving every minute of it
The CUB CLUB - Advice on camper
« Reply #319 on: August 10, 2013, 02:23:29 PM »
I am going to Sydney next week to have a look at a Cub Supamatic Regal Off-road camper (second hand) but looks like the owner has well and truly looked after it.

On the way back to Canberra I am going to look at a Cub Supamatic XTD with the transcon pack and some nice additions like a microwave and fridge..  Both are about the same price -asking $16,800 for the Regal and $16,000 for the XTD.

What are the pros and cons of the two designs apart from the off-road ability? And how limited is the XTD?

Looking forward to joing the CUB CLUB very shortly.
Terry - Canberra ACT
2008 Prado 120 D4D and 2009 Swan Outback
Blog Travels with Terry: https://terrywalls.wordpress.com

Offline Snow

• Follow me, I'll be right behind you.
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
Re: The CUB CLUB - Advice on camper
« Reply #320 on: August 10, 2013, 03:08:16 PM »
I am going to Sydney next week to have a look at a Cub Supamatic Regal Off-road camper (second hand) but looks like the owner has well and truly looked after it.

On the way back to Canberra I am going to look at a Cub Supamatic XTD with the transcon pack and some nice additions like a microwave and fridge..  Both are about the same price -asking $16,800 for the Regal and $16,000 for the XTD.

What are the pros and cons of the two designs apart from the off-road ability? And how limited is the XTD?

Looking forward to joing the CUB CLUB very shortly.

Both trailers will go where ever you vehicle will and will do it well. The Off Road has the heavier spring and shock setup and will be rated for a heavier tare. The Off Road also sits higher and suits the larger lifted vehicle better than the Trans Continental sprung units.  :cheers:
A vision without action is a dillusion

The Snowmobile: 2017 Ford Everest Trend with heaps of fruit
The Snowcave: 2023 Austrack Tanami X13
2008 Cub Supamatic XTD

Offline bobnrob

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #321 on: August 13, 2013, 12:01:56 PM »
Please move if this is in the wrong place Admin/Moderator. Thought of putting it in the FTP area, but it seems to be dead  :(

We have an '04 Supamatic Regal, and bought it 3rd hand, and was never quite sure of the exact setup procedure.
So during a visit to CUB HQ, I asked if they had a copy of the DVD that showed how to erect it properly. I was told the only DVD's they now have are just promotional, and only for the later models. :(
Lovely salesperson went to grab me one, but found an older one as well, and gave me the copy :)
Watching it when I got home, I found I'd been setting the CUB up wrong, and now I manage to pack it all away a lot easier. I also found there's a bonus of how to re-set the tent  :D
So if anyone wants a copy, I've uploaded it to YouTube

If you want to save a copy for later viewing, go to KeepVid, copy the Youtube link into the box, hit 'Download'.

You'll then be prompted for the file type you want to save it as
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 07:39:32 PM by bobnrob »
Bob and Robyn

The following users thanked this post: Madcat

Offline pjpatrol

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #322 on: August 13, 2013, 12:11:20 PM »
Please move if this is in the wrong place Admin/Moderator. Thought of putting it in the FTP area, but it seems to be dead  :(

We have an '04 Supamatic Regal, and bought it 3rd hand, and was never quite sure of the exact setup procedure.
So during a visit to CUB HQ, I asked if they had a copy of the DVD that showed how to erect it properly. I was told the only DVD's they now have are just promotional, and only for the later models. :(
Lovely salesperson went to grab me one, but found an older one as well, and gave me the copy :)
Watching it when I got home, I found I'd been setting the CUB up wrong, and now I manage to pack it all away a lot easier. I also found there's a bonus of how to re-set the tent  :D
So if anyone wants a copy, I've uploaded it to my Dropbox. You can view it there on-line, or click the "download" button, and save it to your computer :)

CUB Camper Setup and Reset  150mb
If anyone has limited download, or slow connection, PM your address and I'll snail mail you a copy

Hi Bob

Hope the camper is still serving you well.

Paul
"Flat Out"

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #323 on: August 13, 2013, 12:15:59 PM »
Hi,

Colors are a personal thing.

I really like my lime green Cub Escape, picture below is on the Fraser Island Barge.

Ray
There be a green one forsale in a few weeks...
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline VKPrado

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #324 on: August 13, 2013, 01:21:48 PM »

So if anyone wants a copy, I've uploaded it to my Dropbox. You can view it there on-line, or click the "download" button, and save it to your computer :)

CUB Camper Setup and Reset  150mb
If anyone has limited download, or slow connection, PM your address and I'll snail mail you a copy

Thanks very much for sharing the video. I also have been closing up the camper incorrectly according to the video. It is not the way we were shown when we bought ours.