Author Topic: Interesting read on electric cars  (Read 139663 times)

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
Re: Interesting read on electric cars
« Reply #275 on: December 16, 2019, 07:23:37 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjqYWQsSyQ4   might be just a bit short on range for Australian and countries with long distance needs .
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
Interesting read on electric cars
« Reply #276 on: December 16, 2019, 07:37:09 AM »
We are all assuming that the lithium batteries these planes use are going to be the current generation of lithium.  Science is playing a huge behind the scenes game developing batteries that will easily double the time and power output of the current generation.  They also dont have to be lithium. Have read of other materials being used with outstanding results. Renewable energy science is raging ahead. .
Not only science, but there are many famous billionaires also playing around behind the scenes to bring us even more variety in battery technology.

In October of this year, ESS, a manufacturer of low-cost, long-duration, iron-flow batteries for the global renewable energy infrastructure, secured $30 million in a Series C investment round from Breakthrough Energy Ventures, the group of private investors led by Bill Gates and fellow billionaires Jeff Bezos, Michael Bloomberg, Richard Branson and Jack Ma, among others.

Iron flow batteries are specifically for large scale electricity projects, and soon that old “when the sun isn’t shining and wind isn’t blowing” argument that has been posted several times in here will also be mute.

It’s a pretty simple concept, just need some iron and a couple of tanks.
I’m pretty sure Australia has a little bit of iron and a few people that can make tanks.

The only thing we’re missing is some politicians with the balls to stand up to the shouting deniers that are surrounding them right now. And have the guts to set us up to be a powerhouse of the future by building a manufacturing industry for renewable technologies.
But apparently to do anything that even remotely looks like your helping renewables means your accepting that climate change is actually happening. And as we all know as soon as a prime minister admits that, they get replaced by the next puppet pretty quickly.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2019, 07:46:14 AM by Pete79 »

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #277 on: December 16, 2019, 09:27:45 AM »
Funny you should mention storage tanks.  With all the disasters happening around Australia due to water supply and quality I would have expected the state and federal governments to mandate that all new houses have to have a large water tank installed to catch rain water (when and if it rains!).  Surely several plastic recycling plants can be set up to use the waste plastic and make these tanks!  Many tens of thousands of tanks would be needed and these should be backed by governments. Set up in regional areas of the country these plants would create employment, reduce rubbish, save water and maybe keep regional areas from going under.  So what if the government has to subsidise this industry until it stands on its own two feet. It seems to me we pay many thousands of government employees whose performance it crap when it comes to putting Australia first.  As has been said though....The current government has no balls whatsoever and before the next election we need a big change of heart and ideologies before any major party should be voted in. Bucketful of prayers and hope does f all for anyone!!
The country has gone passed the drought issue.  We are in a disaster scenario.  scomo....fiddled while Oz burnt..
Having lots of friends on farcebook is the same as having lots of money in monopoly...means absolutely nothing!!

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #278 on: December 16, 2019, 10:01:52 AM »
Water Storage tanks are already in place in  country builds, that I know of .. My SIL and the others in her village have to have a dedicated 10.000 Lt fire fighting tank from memory .. It may be more but 10.000 Lt  sticks in my mind .
Which is a pain to have sitting there when you are virtualy out of drinking water and not allowed to touch the fire tank..
Imagine dying of thirst / cant afford water and having to look at an ice cold  10.000 lt tank full .
My brother put in over 40.000 gallons of tankage before he died and even thats nearly run dry with frugal water usage by my SIL . Bar the fire tank .
New build houses around here must have 5000 Lt water tanks for toilet / garden and general water use .
All coastal storm water run off should be piped to dams and treated for uses other than drinking water too, instead of into the rivers / oceans ..
« Last Edit: December 16, 2019, 10:19:17 AM by edz »

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #279 on: December 16, 2019, 03:33:38 PM »
The current government has no balls whatsoever and before the next election we need a big change of heart and ideologies before any major party should be voted in. Bucketful of prayers and hope does f all for anyone!!
The country has gone passed the drought issue.  We are in a disaster scenario.  scomo....fiddled while Oz burnt..

This is a good read in my opinion https://www.news.com.au/technology/environment/climate-change/joe-hildebrand-whos-really-to-blame-for-climate-failure/news-story/8be82b54fac3cd714f62b956764d99bb

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Floor Camper User
Having lots of friends on farcebook is the same as having lots of money in monopoly...means absolutely nothing!!

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #281 on: December 16, 2019, 08:37:17 PM »
Funny you should mention storage tanks.  With all the disasters happening around Australia due to water supply and quality I would have expected the state and federal governments to mandate that all new houses have to have a large water tank installed to catch rain water (when and if it rains!). 

All new houses around here (central coast nsw ) are compulsory. A lot of other council areas probably are too ??
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline Rodt

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #282 on: December 17, 2019, 05:55:35 AM »
All new houses around here (central coast nsw ) are compulsory. A lot of other council areas probably are too ??

Shh Gronk as that means that not everything is the governments fault  :cheers:

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #283 on: December 17, 2019, 06:56:49 AM »
* Vehicles driven in hot temperatures show a faster decline in battery health.
* Losses that happen with frequent DC charging are made worse in hot climates.”

Interesting, thanks Pete.

I wonder what they call "hot" - 25 / 30 / 40C ???
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #284 on: December 17, 2019, 07:33:02 AM »
Seeing as most of these Electric thingo's are Europe based, Id say they could be talking around the 25*C marks .. From all the types from over there Ive spoken too, that temp seems to be regarded as pretty hot .
Guess thats where the battery cooling system comes into play, though that will use more battery power and reduce range ... They are learning everything is a trade off  with limited power / range of a battery set up, until they can get more energy density from the batteries its going to be a struggle .  .

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #285 on: December 17, 2019, 07:48:32 AM »
Interesting, thanks Pete.

I wonder what they call "hot" - 25 / 30 / 40C ???

I think hot would be in relation to the temp under the bonnet for your normal wet cell battery.  The lithium based ones used in most vehicles are well shielded and ventilated.

Offline KeithB

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #286 on: December 17, 2019, 09:32:41 AM »
The batteries in Teslas are liquid cooled.
K
200 Series 2008, bull bar, Airmax snorkel,rack with 200 watt solar, third battery, winch, 33's with 2 spares, long range tank, drawers & barrier, bash plates, lifted & locked, Richards transmission lockup plus plenty of dings. Now towing the new Off Road Glamper.

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #287 on: December 17, 2019, 04:59:59 PM »
Well here you go .. A caravan that you can tow behind the Tesla Truck .  You might even be able to reverse power the truck to use the vans battery for some extra range while towing and recharge on the go with the Solar ... https://www.e-rv.com.au/?gclid=Cj0KCQiA89zvBRDoARIsAOIePbD-bIPA9CZAiUeJWk9elNed3n5t3aniyd-V_oYt0d57lrNfrSM0PVkaAjXZEALw_wcB ..
If they were truly serious about being off grid, they would have a drinking  water purifier / maker built in too ..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQCsWucaVio .
I do wish all these Hype " Its Totaly Green " and saving the Planet types, would realise how the factories / transport that built most every part of these things has used fossil fuels to  some extent  to do it ..
« Last Edit: December 17, 2019, 05:41:18 PM by edz »

Offline Craig Tomkinson

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #288 on: December 17, 2019, 05:46:40 PM »
A lot of shires discourage water tanks as you do not buy water off them and it brings mossies once in disrepair, My mate had to have a 10,000 gallon tank on his new house for fire fighting only, I am all for new technology as long as it is affordable, and yes I think Climate change is BS as my family have been farmers and fishermen for 3 generations and its just the planet doing its thing , but coal and our natural resources will run out one day so got to have something for the future. Craig   
« Last Edit: December 17, 2019, 05:52:37 PM by Craig Tomkinson »
1990 80 series 1HZ hill sniffer rebiult with 2 inch lift
1982 Jayco Jaylark  pop up van rebuilt
1999 5m Quintrex King on heavy duty offroad boat trailer

Offline gronk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #289 on: December 17, 2019, 07:22:29 PM »
A lot of shires discourage water tanks as you do not buy water off them

Around our area 10 yrs ago, they made residential houses remove water tanks.
10 yrs later, they made them compulsory for all new houses.

Councils are just like govt departments, they have no idea how to run an organisation..
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra
The following users thanked this post: Craig Tomkinson

Offline briann532

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #290 on: December 17, 2019, 08:09:41 PM »
Around our area 10 yrs ago, they made residential houses remove water tanks.
10 yrs later, they made them compulsory for all new houses.

Councils are just like govt departments, they have no idea how to run an organisation..

Couldn't agree more!!!
Imagine if they had to work in the private sector.
Unemployment would go up for sure.
Back to a swag!
BitsiShity Tryton
Spending most of my time at the farm in Dalton!

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #291 on: December 26, 2019, 01:24:14 PM »
Why on earth would anyone want an electric 4wd with a separate motor on each wheel??
We all know that tank turns are so overrated anyways..... ;)

https://youtu.be/yzwM8KE2L3I

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #292 on: December 26, 2019, 02:34:38 PM »
Why on earth would anyone want an electric car
fixed for you.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #293 on: December 26, 2019, 08:57:17 PM »
fixed for you.
754 hp / 562 kw
826 lb-ft / 1220 Nm of torque 
0 - 100 in 3 seconds
Individual drive on each wheel and no diffs in the way give 360mm of ground clearance, plus airbag suspension to raise and lower as required.

Yes please...!!! ;D

Makes the pootrol’s 174hp & 540Nm look like the dinosaur that it is...
But on the bright side, even the dinosaurs evolved into chickens eventually.
You never know your luck, maybe your troll will be the chicken of the future... ;D :cheers:

Offline gronk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #294 on: December 26, 2019, 09:44:14 PM »
754 hp / 562 kw
826 lb-ft / 1220 Nm of torque 
0 - 100 in 3 seconds
Individual drive on each wheel and no diffs in the way give 360mm of ground clearance, plus airbag suspension to raise and lower as required.

Yes please...!!! ;D

And when out bush and the battery goes flat, you hope it isn't under trees so the solar panel on the roof can recharge it.....in approx 5 hrs !!  ;D

Makes the pootrol’s 174hp & 540Nm look like the dinosaur that it is...
But on the bright side, even the dinosaurs evolved into chickens eventually.
You never know your luck, maybe your troll will be the chicken of the future... ;D :cheers:
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #295 on: December 26, 2019, 10:09:01 PM »
5 hours to recharge for free sounds pretty good....

And what’s the distilling time to brew up a batch of diesel in the bush when the cruiser has been chewing 25L/100k on soft sand and you haven’t made it to the next fuel station?? ;) :P

Offline gronk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #296 on: December 26, 2019, 10:26:45 PM »
5 hours to recharge for free sounds pretty good....

Only if you went wheeling in the morning !!  ;D
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #297 on: December 27, 2019, 08:39:12 AM »
Only if you went wheeling in the morning !!  ;D

Hello, Boss ???

Sorry, I'm having car problems. I'm going to have stay camped out here on the side of this Creek for another couple of days to get enough power back in the car to make it home.

See you no later than Wednesday or Thursday though ;D
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #298 on: December 27, 2019, 02:53:08 PM »
Can see it now  sky high battered  lifted Rivian's with 35's and P plates [ Would they even be allowed to drive them with 700 + HP  ??? ] replacing patrols and Rangers .
Home made bar work and a gazillion light bars, doing Tank turns in every town, Brings a whole new meaning  to " Circle Work  "  for the country kids .. Or doing O'ies .. ;D ;D

Offline tombie

• Tent User
« Reply #299 on: December 27, 2019, 02:57:13 PM »
At +$130k for a Rivian I don’t think the market will flood with P plates any time soon...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro