Author Topic: LED Torch (flashlights)  (Read 32492 times)

Offline Pipeliner

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • I'm too old to rough it!
Re: LED Torch (flashlights)
« Reply #50 on: April 30, 2010, 07:27:21 AM »
Today only, adaptable LED flashlight from Zazz - $25 + p&p

http://www.zazz.com.au/
Camping is great as long as the mattress is inner spring!

Offline Darcy7

• Hard Top Camper User
  • The plumage doesn't enter into it.....!
    • RVeeThereYet.com
« Reply #51 on: April 30, 2010, 10:26:14 AM »
received my headlamps today.  I'll be giving them a tryout this weekend.

report to follow...!

Visit our blog at WWW.RVeeThereYet.com

Offline toad

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #52 on: April 30, 2010, 11:01:22 AM »

That looks suspiciously like one I got on ebay ex Hong Kong for A$12.65 with free postage.
Works well too.
I think they are still listed there, under CREE LED 300 Lumens.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 11:04:38 AM by toad »
cheers
Gary
2009 Cruiser 200 TTD
2007 Navara D40 2.5TD - wife's shopping trolley
2014 AOR Quantum

Offline jwb

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #53 on: April 30, 2010, 11:03:20 AM »
That looks suspiciously like one I got on ebay ex Hong Kong for $12.95 with free postage.
Works well too.

got a link Toad ??

cheers
Cheers

Jwb

Offline toad

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #54 on: April 30, 2010, 11:28:32 AM »
 Mate I'm a bit of a dinosaur, but if you type into ebay exactly as follows "CREE led torch" it comes up at the top of the list. Item160411245285.
I like it for the fact it uses 2x AA batteries, not 3x AAA's.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 11:32:01 AM by toad »
cheers
Gary
2009 Cruiser 200 TTD
2014 AOR Quantum

Offline fishfinder

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #55 on: April 30, 2010, 12:17:45 PM »
the old dolphin torch gets me to the esky and with the price difference from a flash one ( punn intended ) can also keep the esky well supplied .
2004 Jayco Eagle Outback - 1999 Toyota Prado Snowy

Offline jwb

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #56 on: April 30, 2010, 02:05:06 PM »

They must've had a few buyers as now are sold out!

might look into the "toad" option ;D ;D

cheers
Cheers

Jwb

Offline toad

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #57 on: April 30, 2010, 03:19:18 PM »

might look into the "toad" option ;D ;D

cheers
Always worth a look! 8) 8)
cheers
Gary
2009 Cruiser 200 TTD
2014 AOR Quantum

Offline Ben...

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Breath In - Breath Out.
« Reply #58 on: April 30, 2010, 03:29:23 PM »
the ones i got i have been using just about every night - the ones that take the aa batteries have been the best so far. Mine hasnt had the need to replace the battery yet since i installed it.
Mazda BT50 GT
Lifestyle 360

Offline Darcy7

• Hard Top Camper User
    • RVeeThereYet.com
« Reply #59 on: May 03, 2010, 09:30:41 AM »
well...tried out the ebay CREE head lamp torch and overall I'm happy with it.

I'm not certain the brightness is quite as high as they quote (300 lumens) but it is certainly bright enough for lighting up an area that you would work on using a head lamp.  Using it as a torch is a bit of a mixed bag.  Its certainly brighter than my Aurora torch but the beam itself is not as good.  Seems to project an image of the LED element rather than a spread of light.  Still, its quite a penetrating beam.

The construction is not what you would call superb but it's sufficient for the job.  The battery pack is little more than a plastic holder with a rubber cover.  I doubt it is waterproof.  It does sit comfortably on your head.  The light can be angled down but its only at 2 angles.  If you want a range of motion, this is no good.  The beam adjustment is made by sliding the lens barrel which feel a bit flimsy at first but does work OK.

Overall...for a $12 torch, its pretty good value and it does seem it will last long enough to well and truely get my money's worth.  I'll try to take some photos of the light shortly.

Offline OffRoadDave

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • If I think I can build it I will!
« Reply #60 on: May 03, 2010, 09:45:27 AM »
Well I bit the bullet and grabbed one of the three AAA type CREE torches that Ben showed on the first page of the thread, it was delivered a few days ago, so far I'm pretty happy with it, the beam pattern isn't the greatest but I wasn't expecting to be for the price ($12.98), but it does throw a good amount of light, more than any other torch I own actually, the beam pattern is almost like 2 beams, there is a fairly wide beam which gives usable light for a few metres, and then there is a spot in the centre which gives usable light for maybe 50 metres.

The build quality appears to be pretty good, only time will tell if the switch will wear out sooner than something else worth 10 times the price, or if the driving circuits will give good longevity, but for the price I can't complain at all.

Might have to grab one of those head lamp jobbies you got Darcy, sounds like they are good value for money too.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 09:48:03 AM by OffRoadDave »

Offline Darcy7

• Hard Top Camper User
    • RVeeThereYet.com
« Reply #61 on: May 06, 2010, 08:38:06 PM »
OK...I tried to get some photos to show the difference between the $12 headlamp and my $70 Aurora torch.  Unfortunately they didn't really come out too well but it does give you some idea.

BTW....I think I found the best torch on the market.....!  Price isn't too bad.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/AURORA-AK-P7-5-SSC-P7-900-Lumen-LED-Flashlight-Torch-/160431650942?cmd=ViewItem&pt=AU_Sport_Camping_Hiking_Lamps_Torches&hash=item255a78b87e

Offline BV007

• Swag User
« Reply #62 on: May 06, 2010, 11:07:17 PM »
Just purchased a Olight M20 Warrior Premium, 250 lumen, 250 metre throw, 4 settings, 2 lenses, waterproof & indestructible, very long battery life. Man this thing is bright. Even has a stainless steel "striking bezel", now that sounds fun.

http://www.olightusa.com/detail.asp?id=11

This makes my Maglight 3D & Led Lenser look like candles in comparison. Can be had on sale for around $110. Highly recommended.

Cheers
Baz
Baz

Landcruiser 200 Series VX TTD V8 with goodies +  2011 Ultimate Elite Camper

Offline Pebble

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #63 on: June 09, 2010, 07:19:58 PM »
The rechargeable Maglite is the most awesome light we've had to date.
But after getting a relatively cheap LED torch from Bunnings or somewhere like that (Eiger Electrical brand) I was rather impressed especially comparing it to the little AA Mag Lite, it doesn't get the distance of the big Maglite but the brightness is plenty good. So with my last bike parts order I spotted a LED Lenser P7 for a good price ($74Au) and so now there is one on it's way (meant to be two but they cancelled one as they went out of stock, bugger!!!!).
A comparison between it and the Maglite will be interesting! I'm really looking forward to it, never thought I'd be excited by buying a torch!!!

The only thing I hate about the Maglite is that it can't take standard batteries as well, and during say a power outage when you most need it, should it run out well you're stuffed! Sure we've got a car charger but I'd hardly go for a drive just to charge the light. And it gets around 2hrs of runtime with it's impressive throw of light, but if it was needed as a main source of light on a camping trip it just wouldn't do.

Talking about camping, those ARB type flouro lights didn't seem to cut it last time we went for a couple of nights (tenting it these days) one had trouble starting and we have had to return one brand newie in the past because it wouldn't fire up. I must admit this time the battery could have been part culprit (not sure how good it is even though we did fully charge it before heading off...it's an Orbital gel battery).

Anyway getting to the point I spied these Primus Lanters, The Super Nova 180 which might be on my wish-list. What do you fellows use for general lighting around the campsite these days? And opinion on the Super Nova? Looks like it's around $60
http://www.primusaustralia.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=153&Itemid=78
In the link the flouro light picture on the right is the style of light we have at the moment and not entirely happy with, although two of them do provide good general lighting around the camp providing they get going of course!
2015 LC Dual Cab
2017 Trakmaster Gibson

Offline OffRoadDave

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • If I think I can build it I will!
« Reply #64 on: June 09, 2010, 08:35:35 PM »
Anyway getting to the point I spied these Primus Lanters, The Super Nova 180 which might be on my wish-list. What do you fellows use for general lighting around the campsite these days? And opinion on the Super Nova? Looks like it's around $60
http://www.primusaustralia.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=153&Itemid=78
In the link the flouro light picture on the right is the style of light we have at the moment and not entirely happy with, although two of them do provide good general lighting around the camp providing they get going of course!

That's first I've seen the Super Nova LED lanterns before and I thought I'd have a gander on Ebay for lanterns and came across the light below, looks identical to the Super Nova except for the plastic colour, and it's half the price. I have no idea how good the light will be, but I'd be willing to try one out at $30.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/3-Watt-3w-w-CREE-LED-Light-Lamp-Lantern-Camping-Fishing-/150389740196?cmd=ViewItem&pt=AU_Sport_Camping_Hiking_Lamps_Torches&hash=item2303ed52a4

Online D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #65 on: June 09, 2010, 08:44:50 PM »
Anybody got one of these? I'm looking for a spotlight.
http://www.colemanaustralia.com.au/gear/lighting/rechargeable-lighting/led-rechargeable-spotlight.aspx

I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline darren

• Hard Top Camper User
  • "Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius"
    • CampingAustralia.org
« Reply #66 on: June 10, 2010, 06:45:53 AM »
Have a go at this..
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/index.php?s=45a9429f4dcfe5e657f33e2fd5c13c2a&
 I thought we were bad? what did all the wierdo's do before the net?
What about this
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=278342

What pet names do you have for your torch?????

Darren
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 06:48:25 AM by darren »
Living the Dream.

Offline TOY80ST

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • The Camper trailer Whisperer
« Reply #67 on: June 10, 2010, 07:18:27 AM »
117,000 members on a torch forum. Surely camper trailers are more interesting ;D
I hvae tlruobe wtih selplnig and dxsyliea. NOW I'TS YUOR TRUN!

Offline Darcy7

• Hard Top Camper User
    • RVeeThereYet.com
« Reply #68 on: June 10, 2010, 08:03:25 AM »
ok...that is possibly the strangest forum I have ever seen.

Seriously.......pet names for your torches....??  WTF...???   ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

And don't anyone one of you think of starting a thread like that here...!

PLEASE...!

oh what the heck.... ;D

Offline Mandrake

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Triple Vaxed and ready to go ANYWHERE ( please )
« Reply #69 on: June 10, 2010, 11:11:12 AM »
WOT ! Don't you have a pet name for your camper and your car ?

LOL  :cheers: ;D ;D ;D ;D

Steve
Going back to basics - sort of ...

Offline Pebble

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #70 on: June 10, 2010, 06:37:02 PM »
Yes I came across candlepower forums when I was researching the P7 making sure it was a worthwhile buy, I was also amazed that so many people were so seriously into their torches....errrmm I mean flashlights ;D Can't honestly say I've ever thought of modifying a torch to make it brighter!

It just goes to show you can spend a Shitload of money on just about anything if you're into it seriously enough! Hmmm $500 buys me a PS3 or a nice BMX or a very bright torch! It's just a matter of choice really!

I think Hubby just about fell off his chair when I emailed him a link to the LED Lenser X21 and it's price tag tough  ;D I guess one way to convince him P7's were affordable ;D ;D
2015 LC Dual Cab
2017 Trakmaster Gibson

Offline Pebble

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #71 on: June 23, 2010, 11:21:36 PM »
Just an update, I got my LED Lenser P7 and it lives up to my expectations so far.
It's almost as bright as the Maglite, and I say almost mainly because the throw of light area wise isn't as great as that of the maglite, and understandably so because the maglite is bigger in size (head / reflector etc). Distance wise I think they're both pretty much on par.
I'm happy, one day will have to test the run time though because I don't believe it would be 50hrs or whatever ridiculous number they state in the marketing!
In some ways it makes sense that it switches to the brightest setting first but in other ways it would be better if it went ..low - high - off, less chance of leaving it on without realizing and better if you were using it as a "toilet light" so as not to wake the partner.
It certainly blows the other little LED torch we have out of the water.

This is where I got mine...
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=31959

Next I'm looking forward to getting the H7R headlamp because I originally ordered two P7's but they were out of stock so they only sent me one and refunded the other. I ended up deciding a headlamp might be better for the husband anyway and they've finally just come in stock!
2015 LC Dual Cab
2017 Trakmaster Gibson

Offline Silvo

• Hard Top Camper User
  • The grass is greener where you water it..
« Reply #72 on: June 24, 2010, 08:25:02 AM »
i'm curious which maglite you have.

i bought one of these 900 Lumens torch and it far out performs my 4 cell led maglite.i run 9000ma rechargeables in the mag lite and even at full charge the torch isn't as bright.

having a light throw a beam long way is no good if you still can't make out what you are looking at 500 metres away. close up the little cheap led blows it out of the water.

the led lenser head lights do look good, and the h7r is up on my list of new headlights (on the SWMBOs order), but i'm also considering the Fenix HP10 at roughly twice the brightness. Feniz HP10 on the other nerd forum.

dan
Dan - 2015 Discovery 4 SDV6 HSE and Lifestyle Camper AT10 EVO

Offline toad

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #73 on: June 24, 2010, 09:59:43 AM »
 Hey Silvo, what is your pet name for the 4 cell Maglite? ;D
cheers
Gary
2009 Cruiser 200 TTD
2014 AOR Quantum

Offline Silvo

• Hard Top Camper User
  • The grass is greener where you water it..
« Reply #74 on: June 24, 2010, 11:12:36 AM »
Black Panadol

when i hit someone with it, they'll need a Panadol.
Dan - 2015 Discovery 4 SDV6 HSE and Lifestyle Camper AT10 EVO