Author Topic: Masters Sale  (Read 49666 times)

Offline scblack

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: Masters Sale
« Reply #75 on: August 30, 2016, 09:35:43 AM »
Reckon we are in for a Brave New World when Bumblings has the show to themselves  :cheers:
It will be the same as before 2011 when Masters opened its first store. Masters has only been operating 5years, so its not like Bunnings had the competition for long.
VW Amarok Highline 2016
Jayco Swan Outback 2015

A man must believe in something.
I believe I'll have another beer.

Offline Joff

• "This is my Custom User Title"
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #76 on: August 30, 2016, 10:41:23 AM »
I have none of those dramas at bunnings. And clearly most others dont either.
HDJ-105 full dresser plus modded Allterrain and NO BLING

KingBilly

« Reply #77 on: August 30, 2016, 10:53:08 AM »
It will be the same as before 2011 when Masters opened its first store. Masters has only been operating 5years, so its not like Bunnings had the competition for long.

Yeah but before Masters came along to keep them honest, Bumblings were tryng to establish themselves in the market place.  Now that they have establised matket dominance, and seen many local, smaller hardware stores shut down, and have attracted a client base used to their prices being competitive, without competition, they will rort the punters just like every other dominant monopoly has.  Just wait and see.

KB

Offline scblack

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #78 on: August 30, 2016, 11:26:07 AM »
Yeah but before Masters came along to keep them honest, Bumblings were tryng to establish themselves in the market place.  Now that they have establised matket dominance, and seen many local, smaller hardware stores shut down, and have attracted a client base used to their prices being competitive, without competition, they will rort the punters just like every other dominant monopoly has.  Just wait and see.

KB
Bunnings were established as the market leader in quite a dominant manner well before Woolworths attempted to edge into the market via the creation of Masters.

The smaller stores were under pressure for many years before Masters popped up.

Hopefully now Metcash have bought the Home Timber and Hardware business from Woolworths, the HOME stores can regroup and use buying power to compete.

And its hardly a monopoly, while Bunnings are dominant, they have always had Mitre10 and Home plus others to deal with. And if Bunnings prices do ramp up, people will gravitate back to the other players.

I don't completely disagree with you, but Bunnings really were by FAR the dominant force before Masters appeared. :cheers:
VW Amarok Highline 2016
Jayco Swan Outback 2015

Offline rotare

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #79 on: August 30, 2016, 12:28:13 PM »
Probably easy for some to be critical of Bunnings and Masters, but where I live I'm glad they came to town.  The service from the local hardware stores was never that flash, barely carried any stock, the range was limited and what they did have seemed to be well over priced.  Give them a week though and they'd get something in for you, at a premium price of course. 

For sometime I use to buy all my timber from the local sawmill which isn't that far from Bunnings now.  But after the last lot twisted like liquorice and there was zero care factor from the bloke running the sawmill, I now buy my timber from Bunnings.  Not only are they cheaper than the local guy but I've never had any issues returning anything if it wasn't fit for purpose.
The following users thanked this post: achjimmy

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #80 on: August 30, 2016, 12:46:55 PM »
Yeah the local Bunnings has been good for us but its origins where an independent then BBC now Bunnings. As with rotate we'd be rooted without them.

The plot was lost in hardware when Bunnings were allowed to gobble up BBC. Before then Bunnings run cafeterias and BBC had trade discount cards etc once BBC were gone Bunnings ditched the trade cards for many years down sized their timber stocks and got out of meranti and more exotic timbers etc . since completion has been reintroduced they have polished their floors tied up the stores and got back into more trade services even reinstalled cafes  . No good will come from masters going IMO. Heathly completion is good for the consumer.
Here for a good time, not a long time!

Jim

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #81 on: August 30, 2016, 12:47:53 PM »
Seems lowes are taking action and may cause a delay in the closing anyhow? They are not happy with wollies either.

Jim

Offline deepop

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Living the dream.
« Reply #82 on: August 30, 2016, 04:44:49 PM »
In Vic at least we had 'Hardware House' about the same time as Bunnings but the big B won out and took them over - so there was competition.
Manual petrol 105 series 'cruiser.
Aust. trailers semi off road trailer with Southern Cross Canvas tent, water, gas, kitchen and other stuff.

Offline BaseCamp

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Shake & Bake BB!
« Reply #83 on: August 30, 2016, 05:45:04 PM »
Big players like Bunnings tend to weaken the independents to the point that many close.

I had occasion to be reading many Google reviews on Spotlight Everton Park (Qld) - the VAST majority of them were scathing and condemning...

But there was one loathing review which really summed up the whole malaise of bricks & mortar independent retail in this country....

This Google reviewer was complaining bitterly at how atrocious Spotlight Everton Park was - and made the comment:

"There used to be lots of choice and good prices from the small independent craft shops - but they have all closed down now" ...

>:D     :-*     :'(     >:D     grrrrrrrrrrr

Well that's right darln'    .... it's called you (now) sow what you have all reaped...   
You get out and in to the world -- you take more @#&$. …You climb a little higher, ..you take less @#&$.  …Till one day -- you're up in the rarefied atmosphere -- and you've forgotten what @#&$ even looks like….  Welcome to the layer cake son.

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #84 on: August 31, 2016, 08:40:45 AM »
In Vic at least we had 'Hardware House' about the same time as Bunnings but the big B won out and took them over - so there was competition.

We had HH in Qld as well (at least on the Gold Coast anyway!).

I was told way back then that there was a gentleman's agreement between the 2 that if HH stayed on the East Coast, then Bunnings would stay in WA, so no competition between them.

Worked for some time till some new bright spark in HH decided to toss the agreement out the window & opened up in WA, so Bunnings said Stuff you Charlie, moved East, wiped them out & took them over  >:D 
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline jmorgan1981

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • It was that last beer!!!!
« Reply #86 on: August 31, 2016, 10:36:45 AM »
So with masters closing I am wondering who is going to stock the Ego gear.

I have the chainsaw and was thinking about getting the mower. I was unsure to start with as I have just moved to Port Macquarie and don't know if it will handle the work/weather here. This has given me more to think about.

Maybe I just go a Honda instead.
2017 Mazda BT-50 XT
2014 Kimberley Kamper LE

Offline scblack

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #87 on: August 31, 2016, 10:47:50 AM »

I have the chainsaw and was thinking about getting the mower. I was unsure to start with as I have just moved to Port Macquarie and don't know if it will handle the work/weather here. This has given me more to think about.

Maybe I just go a Honda instead.
If you have a warranty issue, the retailer is the first point of call. As Masters is gone come December, you do not have direct warranty contact.

I'd suggest you buy elsewhere. 8)
VW Amarok Highline 2016
Jayco Swan Outback 2015

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #88 on: August 31, 2016, 11:41:25 AM »
We had HH in Qld as well (at least on the Gold Coast anyway!).

I was told way back then that there was a gentleman's agreement between the 2 that if HH stayed on the East Coast, then Bunnings would stay in WA, so no competition between them.

Worked for some time till some new bright spark in HH decided to toss the agreement out the window & opened up in WA, so Bunnings said Stuff you Charlie, moved East, wiped them out & took them over  >:D

I don't know of any agreement it's possible but BBC was a very profitable business for Howard smiths along with blackwoods. They were sold willingly to west farmers as the parent company needed funds they were bleeding elsewhere. It was a great fit for west farmers so they could monopolies the market.  So it wasn't a case of being wiped out. BBC were and did command market share over Bunnings in the eastern states.

At the time it was promoted as a merger , the fact the ACC did not block it shows what a worthless public service they are imo

Jim

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #89 on: August 31, 2016, 11:43:14 AM »
If you have a warranty issue, the retailer is the first point of call. As Masters is gone come December, you do not have direct warranty contact.

I'd suggest you buy elsewhere. 8)

In the original statement woolworths advices they would honor all warranties and gift cards. It was made very clear.

Jim

Offline scblack

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #90 on: August 31, 2016, 11:48:35 AM »
In the original statement woolworths advices they would honor all warranties and gift cards. It was made very clear.
Missed that. But think once Masters is gone:
Are you going to lob your mower at the local Woolworths/BigW/Dan Murphys for a warranty matter? Masters will not be there, so staff who know the product will not be there.

I still suggest buying elsewhere, if warranty is of any concern for you.
VW Amarok Highline 2016
Jayco Swan Outback 2015

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #91 on: August 31, 2016, 11:59:55 AM »
Missed that. But think once Masters is gone:
Are you going to lob your mower at the local Woolworths/BigW/Dan Murphys for a warranty matter? Masters will not be there, so staff who know the product will not be there.

I still suggest buying elsewhere, if warranty is of any concern for you.

They'll do like a lot of the retailers including Aldi etc do now direct you go to the the manufacturers chosen warranty repairer. Then if it's not satisfactory I would imagine yep you'll get a refund from woolworths?  I know the rules on statutory warranty etc but have you ever tried to return an iPod to wollies or JB for a warranty replacement or refund? The real world and what our masters tell us are two different things. If the price is right and the product is right I'll have no hesitation buying from masters , more so if it's a known brand.

Jim

Offline jmorgan1981

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #92 on: August 31, 2016, 12:30:02 PM »
Yeah the warranty isn't the issue so much. I'm also wondering if any other retailer will pick up Ego. It seems that Masters is the only stockist in Australia.
2017 Mazda BT-50 XT
2014 Kimberley Kamper LE

Offline Kangaron

• "Don't make excuses, Make it Happen."
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #93 on: August 31, 2016, 12:34:50 PM »

http://egopowerplus.com.au/pages/contact-us

Offline jmorgan1981

• Soft Floor Camper User
2017 Mazda BT-50 XT
2014 Kimberley Kamper LE

Offline BaseCamp

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Shake & Bake BB!
« Reply #95 on: August 31, 2016, 01:38:29 PM »
See Queensland Trade Tools Direct for Ego gear.. 

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

You get out and in to the world -- you take more @#&$. …You climb a little higher, ..you take less @#&$.  …Till one day -- you're up in the rarefied atmosphere -- and you've forgotten what @#&$ even looks like….  Welcome to the layer cake son.

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #96 on: September 01, 2016, 01:01:00 PM »
l heard about a Bloke that went to a Masters store , rounded up a big bunch of kit & took it to the checkout . Put all his kit through then left . When he got home it was found some of the big ticket items weren't on the docket    >:D   Staff Revenge
                                                      >:D    :cup:     >:D
You could go broke if that happened  :cheers:                                     
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline oldmate

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #97 on: September 01, 2016, 01:03:34 PM »
I heard that lowes may start legal again against woolworths for starting to get administrators in to masters without discussions with them first
Our Blog. A work in progress
https://www.facebook.com/UltimateAdventuresBlog/

Offline scblack

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #98 on: September 01, 2016, 01:07:17 PM »
I heard that lowes may start legal again against woolworths for starting to get administrators in to masters without discussions with them first
They already have lodged the legal action.

Lowes want to appoint an external administrator to the joint venture vehicle "Hydrox Holdings" rather than Woolworths current approach to sell from within.
VW Amarok Highline 2016
Jayco Swan Outback 2015

Offline graylyn

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Kendall River Barramundi
« Reply #99 on: September 01, 2016, 03:28:10 PM »
KingBilly, you are right on the button.  I make collapsible crabpots these days and I use 32mm blue stripe poly for the legs of the pots.  12 months ago I used to buy it in Bunnings or $64 for 50 metres.  Now it is $121.  I gave it a miss there and went across to Masters who asked $72 for a roll, but it was only 25 metres.  After shopping around I found 150 metres for $300 at the local rural shop.  Also, on the bottoms of the pots I use a 30mm stainless steel ring to finish the pots off.  Bunnings wanted $12 for 4 (Zenith brand), but the local hardware store had the same things or $7.  Bunnings is gradually going off my favored shopping place, I am afraid.
The worst day fishing is always better than the best day at work.

2021 Isuzu d-max utility 3 litre
2012 Jayco Swan Outback
full 60 litre Engel