Author Topic: Seemed like a good idea [ Christmas pressies ]  (Read 3203 times)

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
Seemed like a good idea [ Christmas pressies ]
« on: January 05, 2017, 05:22:38 PM »
Yes I know its a week into the new year BUT ...
Ohh yeah, Well while getting a few things at Jaycar before Chrissy, What did I spy ?  This box of goodies, Yeah ! remembering a long ago child hood of Mechano bits and a great many  hours tinkering building fantastic " To me  only " creations ..
Little miss 9 and I can get some quality time in and build this thing together  [ Forget and over look the 15 + age bit on the box , She'll be right ] .. Yeahh right .
Well today was the day and I mean Most of today, Its enough to drive a grown man to drink 3 tins down another 1 errr some to go and the mongrel thing is only partly working, lucky Tea time is here and its got to go away till another err year umm day  ;D  .. Builds fast initaly,   no drama till you start trying to get the stupid rails to track the steel balls all the way round to take the elevator and start all over again .
Sooooo how did you blokes fair with the pressies that needed construction ? .  ;D
how it should work https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwFVViNKZYg       actualitiy      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9UmJ7sK2o4
Wish ours had the guide rails for the corners ..
« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 05:39:44 PM by edz »
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Seemed like a good idea [ Christmas pressies ]
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2017, 05:34:20 PM »
That's classic.
I mentioned in another thread a while ago about my little miss 7 wanting to build Battlebots with me.
Well Santa popped into Jaycar and grabbed 2 retro robot Mechano kits.

We've built one so far, but it needed more power....
So the bedazzled model Jimny got stripped down and we stole the motor and gears from the transfer case to up the torque on the new robot. The next mod is dual batteries, 'cause 1 AA just ain't going to cut it for us. ;)

The following users thanked this post: edz

Offline Alan Loy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2017, 07:46:45 PM »
'cause 1 AA just ain't going to cut it for us. ;)

I think you need to think a lot bigger http://www.golithiumgolf.com.au/product/24ah-lithium-golf-bundle-325/

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2017, 11:56:44 AM »
Well we did start the roller coaster kit just after new years.. Note to self : learn chinese / engrish .. Opened all bags and yes all there with a few spares [ bonus ] .
Anywhoo little miss and I interpreting the drawings and got the bits all assembled, pretty easy and now onto the tracks .
HAH ! they have got to be kidding too easy, Well tantrums storm offs yelling and screaming, arguments and I'm not doing it hissy fits later  and that was just me . >:D
Daughter  says dad would you have another go at putting these tracks on it please ;D
So after a couple of calming coldies and several hours later one track works and the little steel ball stays on track every time ... Dabs of super glue lock the track in place so it cant shift  [ insurance ] Then its onto the second spiral track yesterday and nailed it [ now locked with glue too ]
Just got to source a " C ' size battery and little miss has her coaster working .Over all it wasnt too bad a project to do together .Well it sorta looks like the proper one in the top picture .. ;D
https://youtu.be/U2X5SerNw54
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 12:17:01 PM by edz »
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline timmyh80

• Swag User
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2017, 03:26:35 PM »
A number of years ago when step son was about 6/7 (now 15), i committed to helping build a model space station. Its just card, scissors and glue, how hard could it be?
Ever section had three pieces, tiny little trianges to cut out and fold. I ended up having finish it by myself after about 40 hours of work.
After he admired it hanging in his room for a week, it moved to my shed until 12 months ago as a constant reminder to carefully consider what is actually involved in kids projects, are they really interested and is it something i want to undertake.

Sent from my SM-G360G using Tapatalk