Author Topic: Bike riders !!! Grrrr - things are getting worse up here  (Read 67713 times)

Offline tourin n fishin

• Tent User
Re: Bike riders !!! Grrrr - things are getting worse up here
« Reply #50 on: September 26, 2014, 10:40:21 AM »
I ride on the road a lot, sometimes in a big group and I must say some of my fellow riders are asking for it. It's the nature of humans and vehicles that means you get bad operaters of all vehicle classes. I try to do unto others so to speak but I have been tempted to nudge the odd rider doing something I'd never do :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Matt

2003 GRj-120 Prado GXL
Custom trailer, oztrail camper 7 top

Offline BigJules

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Just Cruisin' - I wish...
    • I'm so much cooler online :D
« Reply #51 on: September 26, 2014, 10:49:02 AM »
In life, try not to be a f#ckwit.

Whether you're riding a bike, driving your 4wby, wheeling your child in a pram or perambulating on shanks pony, try to have some awareness of others around you and be considerate, understand the impact of your actions on the rest of the world.

Edit: same when you're posting in this and other threads.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 10:51:01 AM by BigJules »
Julian
Land Cruiser V8 + Trackabout Safari SV Extenda
MySwag Gallery, Photobucket
Sydney Agent for www.trackabout.com.au
Mallee Gear - Tough as nails

Offline Bullant4x4

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #52 on: September 26, 2014, 11:24:12 AM »
^^^ Now that made me google.

You tell em Jules :)

Offline fishfinder

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #53 on: September 26, 2014, 11:39:52 AM »
off topic but no need to start a new thread --- you think motorists v's cyclists is a recipe for road rage ..... It got nothing on wheelchairs v's gophers ... Funniest thing I witnessed last night a bloke in a gopher was a little irate that this bloke in a wheelchair was not letting him pass so the gopher driver nudged the wheelchair driver out the way over took him got about 50 mtrs in front then he decided a game of chicken would finish things so at full throttle he turned full lock to line the wheelchair up only to roll it at an intersection with on coming traffic lost a lot of bark smashed lights but no major damage, I was in disbelief at what i witnessed and between laughter and being dumbfounded at what just happened it took me about 30 seconds to realise he needed help.
2004 Jayco Eagle Outback - 1999 Toyota Prado Snowy

Offline dazzler

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Power Power Power
« Reply #54 on: September 26, 2014, 12:05:16 PM »

Whether you're riding a bike, driving your 4wby, wheeling your child in a pram or perambulating on shanks pony, try to have some awareness of others around you and be considerate, understand the impact of your actions on the rest of the world.

Sank you glasshopper...   :D
My alternative to cheap import trailers;

http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=36094.msg578367#msg578367

Offline Symon

• Big sparks r us
  • Electrimagician
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • www.phased.com.au
    • Web Server in a Box Project
« Reply #55 on: September 26, 2014, 01:46:04 PM »
As a pedestrian in the Brisbane CBD I have no time for cyclists.
Do not PM me for technical advice - start a thread.
HDJ79 Ute - 100 Series Sahara - 2002 Kimberley Kamper - No ATS yet - Survivor of 5 McGirr trips-Cape 09,11,12,14 & Gulf 13

Offline cancan

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • "So long and thanks for all the fish"
« Reply #56 on: September 26, 2014, 03:27:27 PM »
I think the are idiots in all forms of transport. .. In Brisbane everyday I would see someone run a red light. .. mostly cars but cyclist and trucks and some whilst on the mobile. ..I cycle more km a year than I drive but I think having grown up on motorcycles I have learnt to try and read what drivers are doing. .. doesn't always help as the have been some near misses but thankfully I have not been hit yet. ... The scarey moment was when I was cycling in a wide cycle path and a 4wd decided to play chicken with me. .. He pulled into the bike Lane and would accelerate right up to me. . Back off  and repeat...I was sitting well in the bike Lane and traveling around 45km/hr... As mentioned the are idiots out there in all modes of transport. .I just take each driver as they come and don't group label
Sorry about predictive text. . Boarding plane so can't edit
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 03:29:00 PM by cancan »
Jeep Grand Cherokee - Modcon Ecomate Traveller

Offline pinarelloman

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #57 on: September 27, 2014, 12:19:35 AM »
I have been cycling a long time & these cowboys who run red lights & break the road rules give us all a bad name.
Landcruiser HDJ100 5spd auto.
Australian Off Road camper 2009 Oddyssey export signature.

Offline Topender

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #58 on: September 27, 2014, 12:22:55 AM »
I have been cycling a long time & these cowboys who run red lights & break the road rules give us all a bad name.

^^^^ What he said x2
Nissan X-trail TL dci & 2012 Jayco Outback Swan

Offline trevc

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #59 on: September 27, 2014, 12:56:22 PM »
Mate, nothing a good hose can't fix to get rid of the blood and guts, but I do hate it when a wheel gets stuck in the suspension though.
Back and forth, back and forth.....boinnng...there it goes, all good again.
Add one more stamp to the door and go hunting again.  :D

My sisters husband ended up under a dump truck whilst cycling, killed instantly. Left behind a grieving family and 3 month old child.
So whilst you boof heads make jokes about squishing bike riders, punching them out and setting dogs on them stop and consider that they are husbands, wives, fathers, mothers, sons and daughters.

Offline shanegtr

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Offroad80s
« Reply #60 on: September 27, 2014, 01:26:34 PM »
I'm a very patient drive on the road, so cyclist don't worry me in the slightest. If they choose to ride on the road then so be it, No skin off my nose. I did see a while ago a couple of riders riding side by side on a duel lane road - effectively taking one lane. It was a busy road so I was just waiting for a good gap to move over to the other lane, but the number of idiot drivers I seen getting impatient and making stupid overtaking maneuvers was beyond belief. If I was riding a bike it's not something I would feel comfortable doing just due to the dickhead factor of the car drivers, but a workmate who rides on the road a fair bit tells me that he thinks it's better  than riding single file on a dual lane road. I just wouldn't ride a bike on a busy road period

Offline richee

• Tent User
« Reply #61 on: September 27, 2014, 01:59:02 PM »
My sisters husband ended up under a dump truck whilst cycling, killed instantly. Left behind a grieving family and 3 month old child.
So whilst you boof heads make jokes about squishing bike riders, punching them out and setting dogs on them stop and consider that they are husbands, wives, fathers, mothers, sons and daughters.

So sad and very well said!
2007 NS DiD GLX Pajero
2010 Jayco Eagle

Offline Bullant4x4

• Soft Floor Camper User
Bike riders !!! Grrrr - things are getting worse up here
« Reply #62 on: September 27, 2014, 03:14:11 PM »
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 05:28:58 AM by Bullant4x4 »

Offline JD-120

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #63 on: September 27, 2014, 06:21:24 PM »
The one statement that spoke loudest to me in the above ^^^^^statement is

it's your choice

It is everyone's choice how they commute, how they relax, how they keep fit, how they spend time with their family on the weekends. I commute to work on a road bike through Brisbane city. I understand certain things are out of my control (like the lady a few weeks a go @ sth brisbane who was stationary at an intersection waiting to go when she was cleaned up by a semi from behind) but I do expect the motorists around me to be capable of driving safely with cyclists and pedestrians.

Sh!t happens, I get that, but more sh!t happens when people are not paying attention, or commuting (via bicycle or vehicle) in an unsafe manner. There needs to be a greater awareness from both sides of this fence.

People who "choose" to commute via a push bike should not expect to be punched by passengers in passing cars. That is not the choice they are making.  Quite frankly, idiots like this should be in jail getting their just desserts from Big Bubba.

It would be quite ironic that they in-turn would be a bicycle "of sorts"
Cheers

Justin

Offline TheWall

• Tent User
« Reply #64 on: September 27, 2014, 06:29:14 PM »
Bullant....thanks for providing the most hilarious post of this thread buddy...

"Let alone their belief they have as much right to take up the road".... Ummmm. They do! :-)

"If you go swimming and get attacked by a shark, don't be surprised." Ummmm. Sharks hunt by instinct...are you saying cars drivers have no choice but to run down bikes?

" If you smoke and end up with lung cancer, don't go crying foul." Ummmmm. Seriously?

"I would never put myself at risk to fast moving metal at slow speed and put the ownest on another person for my safety." Ummmmm. Leaving aside the speed differential, the fact is you put your life (and anyone travelling with you) in the hands of 1000's of complete strangers every time you go for a drive mate.

"it's your choice, cars don't have one." Ummmmm. This one is my favourite. Thanks for leaving the best to last. You are right...cars don't have a choice...but their drivers do! A little bit of patience and courtesy by all will see everyone get home safely.

Oh, went for a ride this morning and can happily say that there were no close passes and did not see a bike rider break any rules.

Still got attacked by the same Magpie.

Offline Topender

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #65 on: September 27, 2014, 07:15:07 PM »
Bullant....thanks for providing the most hilarious post of this thread buddy...

"Let alone their belief they have as much right to take up the road".... Ummmm. They do! :-)

"If you go swimming and get attacked by a shark, don't be surprised." Ummmm. Sharks hunt by instinct...are you saying cars drivers have no choice but to run down bikes?

" If you smoke and end up with lung cancer, don't go crying foul." Ummmmm. Seriously?

"I would never put myself at risk to fast moving metal at slow speed and put the ownest on another person for my safety." Ummmmm. Leaving aside the speed differential, the fact is you put your life (and anyone travelling with you) in the hands of 1000's of complete strangers every time you go for a drive mate.

"it's your choice, cars don't have one." Ummmmm. This one is my favourite. Thanks for leaving the best to last. You are right...cars don't have a choice...but their drivers do! A little bit of patience and courtesy by all will see everyone get home safely.

Oh, went for a ride this morning and can happily say that there were no close passes and did not see a bike rider break any rules.

Still got attacked by the same Magpie.

Well said......it's amazing that some people are "allowed" to breed.  Scary thought really and No idea.

Offline weeds

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #66 on: September 27, 2014, 08:53:03 PM »

Source for this statistic? Or are you just making this up?

No stats........I just reckon there are more car accidents involving another car than than car and bike accidents..........based on what I have seen driving and riding around over the last 25 years.

Offline Bullant4x4

• Soft Floor Camper User
Bike riders !!! Grrrr - things are getting worse up here
« Reply #67 on: September 27, 2014, 09:15:29 PM »
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 05:29:22 AM by Bullant4x4 »

Offline Topender

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #68 on: September 27, 2014, 09:25:58 PM »
All I can add is I don't care! I drive.

Enjoy rehab and........

No Conversation Exists :D - Good old BF Vietnam :D

Good old enjoy Bubbas "special" cuddles  ;D

Offline Malcolm Tugless

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Are we there yet ?
« Reply #69 on: September 27, 2014, 09:38:40 PM »
Living on the souther end of the Gold Coast requires navigating the more than occasional peloton of psycholists ... sorry cyclists. But a modicum of patience is a far better option than someone ending up as an inpatient. Tolerance is a pretty cool word ... but adhering to it involves a bit of give and take.

Offline trevc

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #70 on: September 27, 2014, 10:23:44 PM »
Sorry to hear richee. And my following words are not direct to you, just MHO

I've lost cousins, friends and mates to motorcycle accidents. I use to ride motorbikes since I was 5yr. My cousin slid under a car and snapped his neck (Not his fault). Another went into the side of a car and severed his head (His fault, 150km through Heidelberg cutting).

Most cyclists bring danger to the road as they are too slow and don't have the power and speed to get themselves out of danger! Let alone their belief they have as much right to take up the road.

If you go swimming and get attacked by a shark, don't be surprised. If you smoke and end up with lung cancer, don't go crying foul.

I would never put myself at risk to fast moving metal at slow speed and put the ownest on another person for my safety.

Too slow, most are erratic, no power to avoid danger. If you want to risk life to peddle to work, it's your choice, cars don't have one.

Don't disagree at all, ride a bike either pedal or motor powered I reckon it's a numbers game.
What I strongly disagree with is these blokes that make a joke out of injuring or killing cyclists, like they are less than human.

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #71 on: September 28, 2014, 12:42:07 AM »
Found a solution for every one http://www.topgear.com/my/5900-5900/
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline RobM

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #72 on: September 28, 2014, 07:28:04 AM »
I rode to work for 20 years. That was before people drove to work holding a take-a-way coffee in one hand and texting with the other. Now i think you must have a death wish to spend any more time riding on the road than necessary, especially if there is a perfectly good bikepath. Might be a bit slower on the bikepath/footpath, but if you want speed go to the track. As for riding two abreast, maybe if those cyclists showed some consideration the drivers would too. I know that there is more rubbish on the edge of the road than inside the white line, but I bet you won't find much difference between 150mm inside the line to 150mm outside the line and that's another 300mm clearance the driver has to pass.( 450mm actually, the line is 150mm wide) It's a shame so many cyclists need to play the "it's my right" card. Can only end up bad for them.

Rob

Offline Ratbag

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #73 on: September 28, 2014, 09:31:19 AM »
Gidday Julian

:cup:   +1

[EDIT]

Further to the above, how about some factual information regarding the topic?

e.g. from the TAC Victoria, here:

http://www.tac.vic.gov.au/road-safety/statistics/road-safety-statistical-summary

[end edit]
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 10:15:00 AM by Ratbag »

Offline sol

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #74 on: September 28, 2014, 11:01:05 AM »
This is off topic also but another form of idiots on wheels is KIDS ON SKATEBOARDS in and out of traffic up here. I've almost run over a couple of them in the last week >:(

:cheers:
Make everyday count!!!
2015 Holden Colorado 7
New Age Manta Ray 16'6 Deluxe