Author Topic: Computer guru needed  (Read 34174 times)

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
Re: Computer guru needed
« Reply #125 on: October 30, 2014, 02:56:30 PM »
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #126 on: October 30, 2014, 10:29:26 PM »
I've used Seagate's Seatools successfully to recognise and detect faults in hard drives and Seagate orta know what it's all about-
http://www.seagate.com/au/en/support/downloads/seatools/seatools-win-master/
Hard drives can get a bad sector and create all sorts of problems but Seatools can usually find it and quarantine it. (can find the bloody drive for starters when Windows can't)

The only thing I'd say about 5+ year old computers from bitter experience is NEVER EVER upgrade but go and buy a new one as hardware and software tend to move along in tandem and faster than many us would prefer.

And on that note I've gotta say the NBN FTTP was one helluva fantasy with its hopelessly optimistic takeup assumptions when you consider the added cost of keeping up on the hardware/software treadmill plus greasing Geeks2u if the household hasn't got someone to be the bush IT eggspert. Is it any wonder many chuck it it in the too hard basket and stick to mobile phones and tablets with reset facilities and the cloud. Strike me pink if the 'dont wanna know' crowd around here haven't picked up another net hijacker and are chucking tantys that I can't be bothered with it for the time being. They've got tablets, a laptop and a second PC but always want to use my PC because theirs are full of crap. They think cars are these marvellous things that only run on petrol too  ::)
There's no Great Evil conspiracy against consumers within engineering, manufacturing and supply. Just the many tradeoffs incurred to satisfy diverse tastes, priorities and wallets. But first comes all the insatiable Gummint eggsperts, nanny-staters and usual suspects.

Offline DaveR

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Grumpy Old Man in Training
« Reply #127 on: November 07, 2014, 04:37:40 PM »
I thought I'd have a turn at asking the clever folk on this thread.
My old laptop runs XP.
I use either firefox or chrome to look on the net, and considering it is an old machine, the net works fast.
BUT
I can't see phone numbers in Gumtree Ads, no add lets me click on the link thingy to show the number.
I am certain it is due to my Lap Top, but no idea what I may be able to do to fix it. Works on other computers.

Some other sort of similar faults I think, some of the recent posts here in myswag with pics, I can't see some pics, it gives a symbol of a page of writing with a top corner folded over instead.
2001 HDJ-100, a flash one
2013 Expanda OB

Offline koshari

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #128 on: November 07, 2014, 07:23:13 PM »

I thought I'd have a turn at asking the clever folk on this thread.
My old laptop runs XP.
I use either firefox or chrome to look on the net, and considering it is an old machine, the net works fast.
BUT
I can't see phone numbers in Gumtree Ads, no add lets me click on the link thingy to show the number.
I am certain it is due to my Lap Top, but no idea what I may be able to do to fix it. Works on other computers.

Some other sort of similar faults I think, some of the recent posts here in myswag with pics, I can't see some pics, it gives a symbol of a page of writing with a top corner folded over instead.

The phone numbers would be something like java script disabled.

As for the image links being broken you may have a bandwdth tool /firewall blocking them.

It will certainly be software configuration rather than a hardware issue.
Code: [Select]
5M strips SMD3528x150 SMD3528x300 SMD5050*150 SMD5050x300 
LED Qty 150 pcs 300 pcs 150 pcs 300 pcs
Voltage DC 12V DC 12V DC 12V DC 12V
Current(A) 1Amp 2Amp 3Amp 6Amp
Pwr 12 watt 24 watt 36 watt 72 watt

Offline DaveR

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #129 on: November 08, 2014, 01:57:25 AM »
Thanks. Although I don't know what you speak of to be honest.
Do I have to find something called java download it?
2013 Expanda OB

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #130 on: November 10, 2014, 12:21:37 AM »
DaveR let me guess. The laptop you're having trouble with runs XP while the others you use are running Wn 7 or 8 and no probs? I've still got one PC running XP and I have the same problem/s with funny results with web pages and error messages and I put it down to XP being well past its use by date. That means ditto the PC it runs on and welcome to the hardware/software treadmill. Yeah I know we're old school and don't like chucking things out but it's really a boat anchor :'(
There's no Great Evil conspiracy against consumers within engineering, manufacturing and supply. Just the many tradeoffs incurred to satisfy diverse tastes, priorities and wallets. But first comes all the insatiable Gummint eggsperts, nanny-staters and usual suspects.

Offline koshari

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #131 on: November 10, 2014, 10:03:37 AM »
Sure xp is end of life and unsupported but that doesnt mean a 3rd party browser shouldn't work.
to address your javascript issues try this
http://whrl.pl/RdhOZ3

As for if the lappie is a boat anchor of not that comes down solely to hardware.

My old atom powered eeepc originally came with xp and now runs just fine with dial booting linux mint and win7.

« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 10:13:13 AM by koshari »
Code: [Select]
5M strips SMD3528x150 SMD3528x300 SMD5050*150 SMD5050x300 
LED Qty 150 pcs 300 pcs 150 pcs 300 pcs
Voltage DC 12V DC 12V DC 12V DC 12V
Current(A) 1Amp 2Amp 3Amp 6Amp
Pwr 12 watt 24 watt 36 watt 72 watt

Offline DaveR

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #132 on: November 11, 2014, 04:53:38 AM »
I found the Java thingy.
No idea how, just googled it, clicked on something and then nothing. Now, that I shut it down and turned back on again, the net seems to work a lot better, and can see the phone numbers in gumtree adds now.
I'll keep this old lap top till it dies, no need for a new 1 till then.
There was a time when I was interested in what makes these things work, could ever write visual basic code 15 years ago. Now I have deleted that interest and knowledge and moved on.
Thanks Swaggers
2013 Expanda OB

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #133 on: November 21, 2014, 08:08:57 PM »
OK, you gurus have helped me a few times now......and here goes again...

I have a laptop...win 7....have google chrome and firefox ( which I don't use ).....lately facebook ( only facebook ) has decided to come up with a blue screen with "you're dead Jim " on it....also saying something about browser memory ??

So, I go to firefox and look at facebook and all OK, but I like the way chrome presents ( with tiles for all the sites I like ), so a pain to alternate between the two !

So, I download IE 11.....can see it in the download list...click on it and it restarts the computer etc.....but where is it ???

I presumed it would appear as an icon on the main screen so I could use it, but I can't access it because I don't know where it is ??
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #134 on: November 22, 2014, 12:00:29 AM »
Here are the good guys against viruses, trojans, hijackers and trojans, yada, yada-
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/
and click the most popular icon for the gist of it but there are specific tutorials for general probs andfixes.

You'll note if you get infected by the bad guys it can often take a number of tools to get rid of them as no one tool fits all. Or alternatively you can leave the bush IT eggspert scene altogether for online and the cloud and note the current $399 price tag of this one from Kogan-
LG 21.5" FHD IPS All-in-One Chrome Desktop Computer with Mouse and Keyboard (22CV241)

You can see why upgrading hardware is for old school trogs who don't like chucking working stuff away but the rub is if you fall too far behind on the hardware/software treadmill you will find it hard to catch up. By the way Win7 has been around for 5 yrs and Microsoft have a lower level of support commitment for it as of Jan next year and cutting out completely by 2020.

Not on touchy feely Win 8.1 yet? That's OK MS are busy skipping 'Win9' for Win10 so do try and keep up.

PS: By the way if you're thinking about a new printer check out the new 'Precision Core Technology'  Epson multifunctions from Officeworks. In particular the low cost high capacity inkjet refill jobs like the WF3640 for $198-
http://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/officeworks/epson-workforce-wf-3640-colour-inkjet-multifunction-epwf3640?searchTerm=epson%20workforce
or if you need an  A3 occasionally for $239 the WF7610-
http://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/officeworks/epson-workforce-wf-7610-a3-inkjet-multifunction-epwf7610?searchTerm=epson%20workforce
Been a mono laser man myself  but at those overall prices how could you beat Epson's new tech, bearing in mind they're duplex colour with Wifi bells and whistles, etc
Sometimes you have to look hard at your current passable plodder and force yourself to ditch it and get with the program
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 12:23:25 AM by prodigyrf »

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #135 on: November 22, 2014, 12:36:51 AM »
$399 and let Google take care of you rather than paying the geeks and LG give the hardware 3 yr warranty-
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1073793-REG/lg_22cv241_w_chromebase_all_in_one.html
Still into your old clunker and begging for help in the hardware/software mire? Duh!

Offline gronk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #136 on: November 22, 2014, 08:39:16 AM »
prodigyrf, I presume that post was in answer to mine.......but I don't really know what it was all about ??????

Looking at the link you provided, I then looked at my programs installed and IE isn't there.....but it is sitting in the download section ( 30Mb )

How do I get IE to install ?

Are you saying I've got malware or a virus or something ?

The laptop is only 3 or 4 yrs old, so the "old" clunker will have to last a bit longer yet !!  8)
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #137 on: November 22, 2014, 09:34:54 AM »
Nah gronk my posts are more general comments about the bloody interminable IT software/hardware treadmill as I'm dealing with the blissfully ignorant useless mob around here that think the various desktops, tablet/laptops are just like their cars. Basically you turn them on and they run magically on fairy dust and if they don't then Bob the Builder he can fixit! After all he's 'semi-retired' with nothing to do all day.
Printer consumables? What are they? Rootkit viruses/trojans and net hijackers? Never heard of such things until their seamless cossetted digital lifestyle is rudely interrupted and then it's what are you doing about it old man? Getting the grey hairs I never had before I met you lot that's wot!
Just baying at the moon after having to reload MY toshiba laptop after the missus uses it after the daughter and I realize the error message is a fatal one after googling it. They've lost some piccys and data and it's all MY fault (remember wot I told you about backing up your data on those nice 1TB portable hard drives I bought and labelled personally for you all? Talk to the hand old man :'()
The lad has finally got fixed internet on at his place and asked me to look into a multifunction printer for him at the same time the BIL asked me. That's when I came across that new Epson technology on the net which changed my views about lasers which I'd largely used in biz and still have one at home. Turns out the BIL had asked the knowledgeable young feller at Officeworks what should he buy and independently we'd come up with the same answer. So both the lad and he now sport those Epsons so just thought I'd pass it on for general info. 

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #138 on: November 22, 2014, 10:15:25 AM »
By the way when you ask-"Are you saying I've got malware or a virus or something ?" the mob around here never know but I can tell you they pick up more or less nasties than they'll ever know because I'm the only one that regularly maintains them, updates the drivers, software, etc and checks for malware and you'd be surprised what I find.
That's the major problem with computing is every time you go on the net you're open to a globe full of villains and hence you need to understand what sites like bleepingcomputer are all about.

Then you look at that LG/ Chromebase setup with its cloud based IT support/backup and you can see it's the future for most and pitched perfectly for mainstream users. I accept that many old computers have more than enough computing power for most needs but it's the net that makes them redundant, or more's the point too much hassle for the average punter to maintain. You wants to play you gots to pay and increasingly that points to the cloud based drip, providing of course you have access to reasonably fast internet connectivity.

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #139 on: November 22, 2014, 01:12:11 PM »
Business is waking up fast-
http://www.forbes.com/sites/quickerbettertech/2014/01/06/why-your-company-may-dump-quickbooks-this-year/
The money quote- “Most of the large software companies aren’t putting many resources into on-premise solutions any more,”

The lad is taking all the Co. admin to the cloud now and we'll all need to embrace it with home computing in future too.

Offline gronk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #140 on: November 24, 2014, 08:34:41 PM »
OK, you gurus have helped me a few times now......and here goes again...

I have a laptop...win 7....have google chrome and firefox ( which I don't use ).....lately facebook ( only facebook ) has decided to come up with a blue screen with "you're dead Jim " on it....also saying something about browser memory ??

So, I go to firefox and look at facebook and all OK, but I like the way chrome presents ( with tiles for all the sites I like ), so a pain to alternate between the two !

So, I download IE 11.....can see it in the download list...click on it and it restarts the computer etc.....but where is it ???

I presumed it would appear as an icon on the main screen so I could use it, but I can't access it because I don't know where it is ??

I thought I would post this again !!!
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline Moggy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #141 on: December 20, 2014, 03:42:13 PM »
Anybody encountered this when sending email

Server error: '550 #5.1.0 Address rejected.'

I have a business email address & up until yesterday had no problems. Now when i try to send an email i get the above message.

I've restored the computer to day before... no change

A google search reveals supposed SMTP issues, but no changes have been made to the email accounts & i dont really understand the whole protocol thingy....

I'm reluctant to delete email account & reset-up as i cant afford to lose my business emails.

I might add that my email hosting is different to my ISP, but havent had issues in the past.

Its a PITA as i just finished a job today & trying to send invoice for pre xmas payment

If anybody's got any thoughts/answers i'd love to hear them   
 :cheers:
All men dream but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible.
T.E. Lawrence