Author Topic: advice on prado v6's  (Read 3119 times)

Offline evolution

• Pain is just weakness leaving the body
  • Hard Top Camper User
advice on prado v6's
« on: January 21, 2015, 07:02:00 PM »
Hey guys,
just after a bit of info.
We just got offered a pretty good deal on a 2003 prado GXL manual 6cyl petrol/gas with 305000kms. (under ten grand with bull bar and full length roof rack)
My question is, how many kms are these things generally good for? I know that 300000kms is getting a bit long in the tooth, but as it is only a stop gap for possibly 12-24 months do you think it could hold up?
Or should be keep looking for something else? I have a bit of money sitting aside for a decent car at the right price. However I need to keep it under 10k so I can get my new car (200series/wildtrack) at the end of the year. That will replace the navara.

Cheers
Evo

Owner at Regional Campers
Explore a different world!

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: advice on prado v6's
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2015, 07:24:41 PM »
Hey guys,
just after a bit of info.
We just got offered a pretty good deal on a 2003 prado GXL manual 6cyl petrol/gas with 305000kms. (under ten grand with bull bar and full length roof rack)
My question is, how many kms are these things generally good for? I know that 300000kms is getting a bit long in the tooth, but as it is only a stop gap for possibly 12-24 months do you think it could hold up?
Or should be keep looking for something else? I have a bit of money sitting aside for a decent car at the right price. However I need to keep it under 10k so I can get my new car (200series/wildtrack) at the end of the year. That will replace the navara.

Cheers
Evo

Evo the v6 is a great motor, the only thing I have ever heard with Toyotas on gas is valve seat wear. I would imagine at 300k they have been done or okay.
Here for a good time, not a long time!

Jim

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2015, 07:51:52 PM »
Great motor, as per Jim not a fan of gas mods though...
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline evolution

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2015, 08:03:58 PM »
Evo the v6 is a great motor, the only thing I have ever heard with Toyotas on gas is valve seat wear. I would imagine at 300k they have been done or okay.

Cheers mate, was kinda what I was thinking. will have to check.

Great motor, as per Jim not a fan of gas mods though...

Me either, which is the main reason I am asking. I KNOW if a car is looked after 300k + kms won't kill a car, however its got me a little concerned.

Cheers
Evo

Offline MDS69

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2015, 08:29:48 PM »
Some people are reporting 600,00km + on these motors. The key to that is regular servicing. In 1-2 years you will do what... 30,000 - 45,000km.

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2015, 08:59:05 AM »
This lot maybe able to give you an idea .not a fan of mixed fuel on petrols though my two cents ...http://www.pradopoint.com/showthread.php?17660-Engine-Life-of-4-0-V6
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline evolution

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2015, 08:12:41 PM »
Thanks guys, the owner advised that the head has not been done on it since he bought it. He bought it in 2005 lol.
Hence I decided to pass

Cheers
Evo

Offline Walkaboutwa

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2015, 09:53:12 PM »
I have the 2011 but bought it on my brother in laws uggestion he is a Toyota mechanic serviceman and also owns and drives an 05 prado I believe it's in the 200k range. He has just st serviced it and heading off on the big trip, complete with fully loaded toy hauler two kids and two dogs in the prado, with roof tent etc. So fa no issues.
Prado 150
Custom Toy Hauler