Author Topic: V8 Supercar Champs  (Read 114020 times)

Offline Silvo

• Hard Top Camper User
  • The grass is greener where you water it..
Re: V8 Supercar Champs
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2012, 10:59:19 AM »
It appears that they migh be going to:

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mellor.nsf/story2/EDF0EBAA97CB29C3CA25799F00139BBC

:cheers:

LOL... good work nissan.. a V8 Maxima.. just what everybody dreams about.
Dan - 2015 Discovery 4 SDV6 HSE and Lifestyle Camper AT10 EVO

Offline Mace

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Life's to short to drive a boring vehicle.
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2012, 11:10:56 AM »
LOL... good work nissan.. a V8 Maxima.. just what everybody dreams about.

Yeah, American skunk works design, What we can look forward to when the falcon falls over and is replaced by its US cousin and "if" the commodore does the same!

2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel
2009 Coromal 452
2002 Commodore SS (The Toy)

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2012, 11:34:48 AM »
Yeah, American skunk works design, What we can look forward to when the falcon falls over and is replaced by its US cousin and "if" the commodore does the same!

wasnt this the last effort of a US ford in Aussie??
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline shanegtr

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Offroad80s
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2012, 11:39:16 AM »
Im sure V8 supercars want to expand outside australia and with just the current two hourse stable I dont think it would be truely sucessful. The only way is to get cars that are reconised outside of Australia into the game. Holden and Ford are so close to each other now that they are almost the same car anyway so it will make no real difference to the racing by introducing another 1 or 2 (maybe even more) manufacturers. Looking at the COTF specs they should be a bit quicker too.

I agree with Holdens stance, "Bring it on"

Offline Mace

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Life's to short to drive a boring vehicle.
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2012, 12:33:57 PM »
wasnt this the last effort of a US ford in Aussie??

Shure was a bit of a lemon,  this looks like our likey falchoon replacement.

http://news.drive.com.au/drive/motor-news/first-drive-the-car-that-could-replace-falcon-20110127-1a5tq.html

2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel
2009 Coromal 452
2002 Commodore SS (The Toy)

Offline duggie

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Dont you just love it.
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2012, 02:26:19 PM »
I wonder if this was one of Skaife's first jobs in the chair ... to look up his old phone book for the number to the top at Nissan .

Anyway at the risk of starting an argument , I'll watch Nascar any day over the V8's .

Because it's not the brand of car you cheer for ( we know they're all the same in both leagues ) , it's close racing I want to see , and plenty of passing .Gee you dont watch V8 racing much then.
When was the last time a car that qualified out of the top ten won a V8 race . Actually it is Quite common
In Nascar a car that qualifies dead last can win , because of a different strategy . Several of last years podium guys came form mid to back of the pack
And usually the whole top ten can be seen in one camera shot in Nascar .....Nearly every race the V8 top ten  are split only by points of a second on qualifying.
" Old Nissans Just Keep On Truckin On "

Offline DeLuxHiLux

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Growing Old is Inevitable. Growing Up is Optional
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2012, 03:55:50 PM »

And usually the whole top ten can be seen in one camera shot in Nascar .....

And then they all....... either turn left or Crash in a ball of flames with Rednecks a Hootin' and a Hollerin'

At least F1 actually has some cool stuff over the years, 1500BHP 1.5L engines - Pretty cool. Ground Effects, Active suspension, Kick ass ABS and Traction control (ok didnt make for great overtaking but terrifying corner speeds!) Variable Value timing to name a few. What Technical innovation has NASCAR come up with ? The Left Hand turn ?? Booooooooooooooooooring. Sorry, I have some friend who are waaaay into NASCAR, I'd personally rather watch people acutally race than Turn Left all day with the foot flat to the floor 98% of the lap.  Each to their own
'07 HiLux with some "fruit
'11 Tambo Omeo

Back home in one piece!!!

Common Sense: So Rare, it's a SuperPower

Our half lap 2013  blog: www.deluxhilux.blogspot.com.au

Offline UTE 701

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • " QUEENSLANDER ! "
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2012, 05:03:09 PM »
Hah , I knew I would get someone saying there is close action in the V8's , ( and I said in racing not in qualifying ) ....

I just picked out some random Nascar photos ....

Feel free to reply with similar shots of the V8's if you can ..... ::)

« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 08:43:55 AM by UTE 701 »

" OWZITGAARN ? "

Offline Jason B

• "Mark Goldie recovery team coordinator"
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • 80 Series Turbo DX Cruiser, Kimberley Kamper 2013 SE
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2012, 05:16:50 PM »
It looks like a mobile parking lot, I find Nascar as boring as bat sh!t. The only interesting bit is when they crash and burst into flames.

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2012, 06:40:30 PM »
I wonder if this was one of Skaife's first jobs in the chair ... to look up his old phone book for the number to the top at Nissan .

Anyway at the risk of starting an argument , I'll watch Nascar any day over the V8's .

Because it's not the brand of car you cheer for ( we know they're all the same ,lin both leagues ) , it's close racing I want to see , and plenty of passing .

When was the last time a car that qualified out of the top ten won a V8 race .

In Nascar a car that qualifies dead last can win , because of a different strategy . 

And usually the whole top ten can be seen in one camera shot in Nascar .....

And that to me is not racing.....when a bloke who qualifies last can win a race....even though it can get boring ( think back a few years when Shumacher dominated ), the best (fastest ) racer deserves to win..
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline DeLuxHiLux

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Growing Old is Inevitable. Growing Up is Optional
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2012, 09:43:36 PM »
wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! they are turning RIGHT in one of those pics............ and they can tailgate ..... no wonder they crash so much!!!!!!!!!!!!
'07 HiLux with some "fruit
'11 Tambo Omeo

Back home in one piece!!!

Common Sense: So Rare, it's a SuperPower

Our half lap 2013  blog: www.deluxhilux.blogspot.com.au

Offline MarkGU

• Proud Variety Basher
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Sorry, did i offend you with my Common Sense?
    • Everyday Hero
« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2012, 09:47:39 PM »
here we go again......you tell em' Jim  :cup:

Small | Large
99'Gu 4.2 Patrol.
2004 Jayco Outback Swan

https://www.fuelly.com/driver/markgu/patrol?fu=5470975

Offline Garry H

• Tent User
« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2012, 09:38:23 AM »
it all comes back to the $ these days,
and this is the way they feel they have to go to go international (probably right),
either way I have my regular tickets for the Clipsal this year and the campsite at the top of the mountain in Oct

Offline kylarama

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2012, 09:06:58 AM »
will be interesting to see it all unfold.

As stated their are blue prints for the current cars. Whilst they run their manufacturers engines, the cars are shortened to the same wheel base etc. The holdens run wishbone front suspension and ford 9 inch solid rear diffs when the production cars run front struts and independent rear sus etc.

So the Nissan will be modified to fit the blue print. 

Of course it will be modified.  The COTF starts off as a space frame chassis and the custom made body panels are then riveted to it.  In fact the current cars have been built this way for a number of years.  The idea of the formula is every manufacturer has an equal chance of winning. 
Remember Group A?  First BMW were untouchable, then the Sierra dominated for years and years (one of the ATCC rounds in 89 or 90 the grid was 99% Sierra's!), then along came 'Godzilla'.  BMW and Ford in Europe had already pulled the pin on Group A, so no new cars being homologated and Holden were on a limited program (never turned up to all rounds).  Other than Japan Group A was dead at the end of 1992, so a new formula had to be sought for 1993 and the lack of crowds and pathetic TV viewers dictated that.  Also Nissan had their own dramas, they shut down their Australian manufacturing in 1991, while at the same time spending a large amount on racing, much to the disgust of the government and sacked workers.  Add to the fact they could not sell a GTR in Australia to save themselves,  something like 300 imported in 1992, but only 60-70 sold.

Will wait and see what happens. When the Skylines dominated in the 1990's they were largely undeveloped even though they had 600hp. In the Japanese series, the same cars were producing upwards of 1000 to 1100 hp.
That kind of HP was made during Japanese GT, not internation Group A regs,  Dick Johnson was screwing 680BHP out of their 2 litre Sierra 'qualifying' engines.  The 3 lap hand grenade they called it, an out lap, the qualifying lap and on the in lap the engine would lunch itself.  bye bye $70,000!

I don't think it could be more of a yawn. I like V8s but if they're all the same except the paint and panel shape, let's just go back to real production cars. Wins on Sunday, sells on Monday. That would be cheaper still than COTF.

"Wins on Sunday, sells on Monday" has been dead since the 70's and Nissan have proved that by entering the series without even picking a car or engine to race yet.  It's all about brand awareness, getting the next generation of car buyers hooked on their brand.

I beg to differ on production cars being cheaper than COTF.  888 would easily spend twice the amount they spend now racing production SS Commodores.  Brand new car every round is what the big teams would do!
You only have to look at what amateurs are spending in improved production, hell 15 years ago it cost upwards of $35,000 to build a front running HQ racer and that was a dirty old 202 and 3 speed.

COTF is the right move for professional racing to remain economically viable for manufacturers and teams, plus the cars look and sound like a race car should.  Not like a freeway in peak hour!

Bring on Nissan and bring on more makes!

Quote from: gronk link=topic=19780.msg305143#msg305143 date=132878635
The 12 hr race is based on production cars and no one watches it  !!!
[/quote

This!  I liked the 12 hour, but not many others did.  Hence why it's now for international FIA GT3 cars and this years race is going to be a cracker!

and UTE 701.  posting photos of NASCAR's on their 'formation' lap does not help your argument. 

Offline UTE 701

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • " QUEENSLANDER ! "
« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2012, 09:26:08 AM »
 ???
I'm not going to get into an argument here ...
It's like discussing which beer is best ... no one wins ....

The topic is that Nissan will be in . And that's a good thing . If Holden can only finance x number of teams , and Ford can only fund y number . Then I guess there will be more cars if another manufacturer can fund some more .

So in the theme of not getting off track , I will not be answering any more criticism of Nascar .

Except for ...." Formation laps " ... yea right .. They do not form up 3 wide  . Just proves you've never seen a Nascar race .... 'nuff said .

" OWZITGAARN ? "

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2012, 09:39:03 AM »
Years ago Bob Jane tried to get AU excited about Nascar and Auscar and look where that went. I was given free tickets and went a few times to the 'Thunderdome', it was boring until they stacked. You need more than four corners in a race track...
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline kylarama

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2012, 09:48:22 AM »
   . Just proves you've never seen a Nascar race .... 'nuff said .

Yeah. never seen one in my life! :-X :-X :-X

Hey D4D, I loved the Thunderdome in the late 80's early 90's.  Unfortuantly it took a massive spectator hit post 5 litre era.
I remember in the late 90's Bob Jane gave away over 5000 tickets for one of the night races, only to have 2000 odd people turn up.
I drove an AUSCAR and NASCAR  at a ride day (Fast track racing) in early 00's,  the Thunderdome was a very sad and rundown place then, would hate to see it now.

Offline Jason B

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2012, 11:17:31 AM »
Of course it will be modified.  The COTF starts off as a space frame chassis and the custom made body panels are then riveted to it.  In fact the current cars have been built this way for a number of years.  The idea of the formula is every manufacturer has an equal chance of winning. 
Remember Group A?  First BMW were untouchable, then the Sierra dominated for years and years (one of the ATCC rounds in 89 or 90 the grid was 99% Sierra's!), then along came 'Godzilla'.  BMW and Ford in Europe had already pulled the pin on Group A, so no new cars being homologated and Holden were on a limited program (never turned up to all rounds).  Other than Japan Group A was dead at the end of 1992, so a new formula had to be sought for 1993 and the lack of crowds and pathetic TV viewers dictated that.  Also Nissan had their own dramas, they shut down their Australian manufacturing in 1991, while at the same time spending a large amount on racing, much to the disgust of the government and sacked workers.  Add to the fact they could not sell a GTR in Australia to save themselves,  something like 300 imported in 1992, but only 60-70 sold.

That kind of HP was made during Japanese GT, not internation Group A regs,  Dick Johnson was screwing 680BHP out of their 2 litre Sierra 'qualifying' engines.  The 3 lap hand grenade they called it, an out lap, the qualifying lap and on the in lap the engine would lunch itself.  bye bye $70,000!

"Wins on Sunday, sells on Monday" has been dead since the 70's and Nissan have proved that by entering the series without even picking a car or engine to race yet.  It's all about brand awareness, getting the next generation of car buyers hooked on their brand.

I beg to differ on production cars being cheaper than COTF.  888 would easily spend twice the amount they spend now racing production SS Commodores.  Brand new car every round is what the big teams would do!
You only have to look at what amateurs are spending in improved production, hell 15 years ago it cost upwards of $35,000 to build a front running HQ racer and that was a dirty old 202 and 3 speed.

COTF is the right move for professional racing to remain economically viable for manufacturers and teams, plus the cars look and sound like a race car should.  Not like a freeway in peak hour!

Bring on Nissan and bring on more makes!

[quote author=gronk link=topic=19780.msg305143#msg305143 date=132878635
The 12 hr race is based on production cars and no one watches it  !!!

This!  I liked the 12 hour, but not many others did.  Hence why it's now for international FIA GT3 cars and this years race is going to be a cracker!

and UTE 701.  posting photos of NASCAR's on their 'formation' lap does not help your argument.

Thanks for the history lesson I really needed it NOT!. I was there and I remember it well, I had a 300kw ATW Sierra Cosworth at the time, so I am well aware of the history and issues surrounding them. As for Nissan not selling all of the Skylines they imported, if I remember correctly they were offered at over $100k each, which was a lot more expensive than some exotic more well known sports cars of the day. The private imports have proven they were popular (there are 1000,s of the things on the road) just to expensive at the time. You can go back to you anorak now, put on your slippers and have nice cup of tea.  :angel:

Offline kylarama

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2012, 11:50:17 AM »
Thanks for the history lesson I really needed it NOT!. I was there and I remember it well, I had a 300kw ATW Sierra Cosworth at the time, so I am well aware of the history and issues surrounding them. As for Nissan not selling all of the Skylines they imported, if I remember correctly they were offered at over $100k each, which was a lot more expensive than some exotic more well known sports cars of the day. The private imports have proven they were popular (there are 1000,s of the things on the road) just to expensive at the time. You can go back to you anorak now, put on your slippers and have nice cup of tea.  :angel:

OUCH!  I didn't realise you were so touchy about the subject, I should have quoted someones elses post. My apologies for contributing to this thread.

My 'history lesson' on group A was not so much directed at you, but the the myths about group A and the demise of it.  Once again apologies for quoting you...

Offline Jason B

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2012, 02:11:38 PM »
OUCH!  I didn't realise you were so touchy about the subject, I should have quoted someones elses post. My apologies for contributing to this thread.

My 'history lesson' on group A was not so much directed at you, but the the myths about group A and the demise of it.  Once again apologies for quoting you...

My appologies, looking at my post i was a rude pr!ck. Not neccesary.

Regards

Jas

Offline Nick74

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2012, 04:49:17 PM »
Good to hear you guys have made up and are drinking buddies again

I think adding Nissana nd others to the mix is a great idea. Being a motorsport fan I am super excited at the prospect of Nissan (owned by Renault) and backed by Nismo entering our little series. Could be a major coup by the Kelly boys

All the V8SC need now is no rear wing, wider rear tyres and bigger incentives for overtaking!

Cheers
Nick
Cheers Nick
2013 PB Challenger
2011 GIC Offroad aka Katie
If I loved these tyres any more they would be beer - David Freiberger 2015

Offline mickange

• Swag User
« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2012, 09:10:17 PM »
Finally i can stick a V8SUPERCARS sticker on my GQ. I also think the minute Jamie Wincup  starts losing he will take off overseas like a spoilt little sore loser.  >:D

1995 Nissan GQ Patrol RX 4.2L Diesel turbo
2010 Trackabout Safari

Offline Jason B

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #47 on: February 17, 2012, 08:24:26 AM »
Finally i can stick a V8SUPERCARS sticker on my GQ. I also think the minute Jamie Wincup  starts losing he will take off overseas like a spoilt little sore loser.  >:D

Won't happen for two reason's,

1. He is a nice bloke and a good sport.

2. As if he is going to lose!

Just a pity he doesn't drive for ford anymore.  ;D

Offline Matto

• Don't Follow Me - I Won't Make It
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #48 on: February 17, 2012, 08:51:58 AM »
I agree with Jason. That said, he has said that he wants to go overseas to race and try his hand at Nascar, so no doubt whenever that happens he'll be branded as "walking away from the sport" or some other such silliness.

Mick - skip the V8 Supercars sticker, and grab a Nismo badge for the big GQ! Bonus points if yours is actually a Maverick :D.
(Aside - there's a bloke that lives near us with a big white Maverick. He's got a sticker across his windscreen, in the Ford corporate font, that reads "FR-ORD")

Cheers!
Matto :)
"I have a bunch of junk that is not any better than yours." - MoGas - ExPo member #226.

Offline terravista

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #49 on: February 17, 2012, 09:26:12 AM »
Does this mean we will also have V8 Navara's running around in the ute series?