Author Topic: Shower pump - feedback required  (Read 2429 times)

Offline Apples69

• Tent User
Shower pump - feedback required
« on: October 07, 2019, 06:49:19 PM »
We are currently renovation our house so are living between caravan and double garage
Given my wife has never allowed us to shower in the caravan whilst using it on holidays we have come to realise how Shithouse the shower is in the caravan.
I tried tonight to run after into a bucket and use a kings portable pump but that did even push water out the end.
Can anyone give me some feedback on a high pressure pump that plugs into a 12 volt and gives high pressure. Given we are hooked up to house water running into a bucket so it doesn't matter how many litres a minute it pushes out.
2011Trackabout Safari and 2016 Prado

Offline duncan

• Sleeping Bag User
Re: Shower pump - feedback required
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2019, 08:36:53 PM »
Hi

If you have a look at the specs on the pump on the joolca set up that will give you an idea of the size pump to possibly buy. This pumps out a reasonable amount of water.

https://www.joolca.com.au/products/flotap?gclid=CjwKCAjwxOvsBRAjEiwAuY7L8hKclT5Nyu4RBSgdRoF4HS3mxikSKE6muUbeoey5sW1o3tEnH3NGVhoC9W8QAvD_BwE

Offline TonyF8

• Tent User
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2019, 04:57:46 PM »
Shurflo or Johnson 11 to 13 lts per minute, 12 volt diaphragm pump
Stay safe and play fair.

Offline Spada

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2019, 05:16:29 PM »
Before you rush out and spend $130'ish on a new pump, check the shower head and pull out the water restricter (if there is one). Otherwise- Shurflo Flojet, model 03626149, is what we have for our external draw pump. Flow rate is 13 l/pm and gives us reasonably good pressure at the shower head in the van when drawing from a jerrycan on the ground. Has a current draw of 11amp at max pressure of 40psi, so a 5 minute shower uses about 1 A/H of your battery storage (if my maths is correct).
Cheers
« Last Edit: October 08, 2019, 05:20:45 PM by Spada »
Spada.
76 Series Cruiser & Zone Peregrine caravan.

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2019, 08:58:48 PM »
I’ve not heard of a van that needs a pump on mains pressure? Can’t plumb in the water feed above the pump? Even my camper bypasses the pump on mains.

edit - I can see now you aren't actually using the van at all. The best way for a temporary shower at home is to slip down to bunnings or the local camping shop and buy a joolca portable hot water unit, hook up a 9kg gas bottle and the mains water straight to it and shower away to your heart's content. Forget buckets and pumps mate. Your Mrs will thank me later.....
Hire companies also set them up on trolleys but if you are renovating for more than a few weeks it would be cheaper to buy - and then you can take it camping also.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2019, 08:54:27 AM by GBC »

Offline bazt

• Tent User
  • Don’t believe everything you think
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2019, 09:10:39 PM »
If you're connected to mains water the pump shouldn't run, should be bypassed. Need to check the pipes physically to see that there are no kinks, taps or other restrictions int van. turn on all taps and see if any have full mains pressure and work back from there.
2013 Navara ST-X Blackline V6
MDC XT17 HRT
2011 VW Golf R

Offline Apples69

• Tent User
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2019, 08:43:38 AM »
Thanks all for the feedback - it’s was the water restriction - learn something everyday
Can’t recommend the kings water pump - now in the bin - no wonder they give them away
2011Trackabout Safari and 2016 Prado

Offline bmwfreak

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • DunWerkin
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2019, 09:48:09 AM »
Thanks all for the feedback - it’s was the water restriction - learn something everyday
Can’t recommend the kings water pump - now in the bin - no wonder they give them away
The drought has hit really hard if you’ve got water restrictions in you van ;D
We've waited 45 years to do this. Now our life will be complete!!
2019 LC78 (troopy)
2018 21’6” On The Move TRAXX Series 2