Author Topic: Any feedback on Nexen Tyres and how they would go on a Trailer for Cape York ??  (Read 3064 times)

Offline Beachman

• Hard Top Camper User
Hi All,

When we bought our Camper Trailer 5 years ago it came with Nexen Tyres and to date haven’t had any problems. The tyres are still in good condition and have 90% of tread left, but later this year we are planning on taking the Trailer to Cape York.

I’ve done a couple of Internet reviews with manly positive feedback, but I’m stuck between leaving these ‘no name’ tyres on and risking it or having to fork out $500 for a ‘Brand name’ replacements.

On the 4WD I believe in only ‘Brand’ tyres, but my way of thinking is the trailer tyres aren’t working as hard as the 4WD tyres??

Any feedback welcome?

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
5yrs old is getting on in years for tyres even if they look good... there was a thread on tyre age while back, you cant get a roady if your tyres were 5yrs old I believe on a car.

FWIW, its probably worth replacing them for peace of mind specially going up there.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline RebsWA

• Hard Floor Camper User
Depends how you have looked after them. If kept out of the sun and under no load when trailer stored (read jacked up) then 5 years is not a big deal. Otherwise get an unbiased tyre bloke to have a close look at them for symptoms of needing replacement
You don't stop laughing because you grow old
You grow old because you stop laughing

2006 TD LandCruiser Troopy LX  -  2015 Jayco Starcraft Outback (a Caravan...)

Offline Johnnos3003

• Soft Floor Camper User
I would just get some new ones, prob also depends on what size they are too as that would affect price. make sure you get a new spare too.

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
I have Nexens on my small van.....AT...LT ...6 yrs old....still round and black, no signs of cracks etc. Would have no problems taking it to the Cape !!
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline discoteddy

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • If in doubt, grab a handful of 2nd gear.
I would just get some new ones, prob also depends on what size they are too as that would affect price. make sure you get a new spare too.

Great advice, had same tyres on the Trackie before we went , swapped all three for BFG Allterrains, a great Tyre and boy did I stress a lot less.

Cheers

Disco teddy
2015 Goldstream Storm lifted with Vehicle Components best!, 2021 Enter the D Max.

Offline lukeycat

• Soft Floor Camper User
We are running federal muddies on our camper and have had no issues and have done two trips two Fraser including ins land tracks, flinders ranges and a fair bit in the vic high country I'd get them again on the camper in an instant and a lot cheaper than the mickys on the car and my previous BFGs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Craig Tomkinson

• Hard Top Camper User
Hi Beachman, It depends on were you are going if you are just going up to tip up the Development road They will be fine, but If you are doing the OTL and a few other rougher tracks, You could change them to a better class of tire depends on how much money you want to spend and if you are on a budget and if your trailer tires and rims are the same as your Tug if so just take another spare, I always take two or three spares, But I just run cheap Chinese A/T tires that will handle 80psi but  have them around 40 to 50 psi loaded in them on my Tug and boat trailer on the trip up the black top, But I only go up to penny but once I hit the dirt on the way up near Laura I drop them to 28psi for the trip up to Weipa, once near penny I drop them down to 13 to 14psi and run around penny the tracks around penny and back into Weipa for tucker and in the 4 weeks never had a flat, This year will be 6 years in a row going there, But If I only need a couple of tires I put two new ones on the front of the tug, Then I put the front on the back of the 4wd and I put the the just legal ones off the back of the 4wd on the trailer if that makes sense, Craig   
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 07:56:43 PM by Craig Tomkinson »
1990 80 series 1HZ hill sniffer rebiult with 2 inch lift
1982 Jayco Jaylark  pop up van rebuilt
1999 5m Quintrex King on heavy duty offroad boat trailer

Offline Beachman

• Hard Top Camper User
Just wanted to thank everyone for your feedback but checked the manufacture date for my tyres and shocked to see they are 8 years old, so going to play it safe and replace them.

Offline TonyF8

• Tent User
As Craig said, its more about tyre preassures than brands, as long as your tyres aren't past their use by date, I've been up the Cape 46 times and only ever had one tyre failure in all those trips, and a bit of nous on picking the right line goes a long way.
Stay safe and play fair.
The following users thanked this post: Craig Tomkinson