Author Topic: Some people share a bit too much information...  (Read 16015 times)

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Some people share a bit too much information...
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2018, 02:02:12 PM »
I reckon there'll be mass suicides eventually when stalkerbook closes

People would actually be happier if that happens, there have been a number of studies that show an inverse relationship between social media use and happiness, like this one.

https://hbr.org/2017/04/a-new-more-rigorous-study-confirms-the-more-you-use-facebook-the-worse-you-feel

You will have to switch your adblocker off to view it.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2018, 02:09:25 PM »
Quote from: tryagain
People would actually be happier if that happens,
yea cant see that happening, people would actually have to phone and talk to each other... It would take a generation for that to recover... LOL!

Social skills are *ucked to non existent these days for our youth.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Hoyks

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2018, 02:20:30 PM »
Only if you post pics with meta data include,  or if you post direct from your phone, unless you have location services selected off, but yes I forgot about that bit.

ISIS had a few 'own goals' with that.
Here is a picture of Ahmed and I outside our new headquarters! Good times.
Location services were still on, location tag added to the image and uploaded to social media.
Intel types review the image, looked at the meta data and then googled away.
GPS coordinate loaded into a JADAM and less than 12 hours after old mate took his hapy snap, the new HQ ceased to exist.

As for the kids using FaceBook; they have moved on. FB is only what parents/grandparents use ::) according to my 16 year old, all her friends are on several other apps now.
The following users thanked this post: Troopy_03

Offline trinityalyce

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Bulldust & Back Roads
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2018, 09:07:59 AM »
As for the kids using FaceBook; they have moved on. FB is only what parents/grandparents use ::) according to my 16 year old, all her friends are on several other apps now.

According to my 19 year old neighbour it’s all about Snapchat now

Ah, social media. The good and evil of modern social societies...

I really dislike when some kind of organisation/group/whatever only coordinates through Facebook groups. We aren’t all on there.

Regarding smart watches/fitness bands... like anything, it’s all about the settings and what data you agree to make public. I’ve had a Garmin watch for years, love the thing. Looks like an actual watch too which is a bonus... And I’m able to keep my data private. I looked into Strava once... maybe someone can comment if this is still the case but I thought there was a way to exclude mapping within designated home/etc type areas (eg. Don’t share mapping data from within a 2km radius of this address or similar). Surely if this feature was used this whole issue wouldn’t have been a problem?
Trinity (+ James + Mister Dog)
'04 TD42 GU Nissan Patrol Wagon + '06 TD42 GU Nissan Patrol Coil Cab Ute + '18 Ultimate Xplor GT Camper

www.bulldustandbackroads.com

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2018, 09:56:42 AM »
According to my 19 year old neighbour it’s all about Snapchat now

Ah, social media. The good and evil of modern social societies...

I really dislike when some kind of organisation/group/whatever only coordinates through Facebook groups. We aren’t all on there.

Regarding smart watches/fitness bands... like anything, it’s all about the settings and what data you agree to make public. I’ve had a Garmin watch for years, love the thing. Looks like an actual watch too which is a bonus... And I’m able to keep my data private. I looked into Strava once... maybe someone can comment if this is still the case but I thought there was a way to exclude mapping within designated home/etc type areas (eg. Don’t share mapping data from within a 2km radius of this address or similar). Surely if this feature was used this whole issue wouldn’t have been a problem?

Strava has a 'Private by default' button, you can show info to only your group/friends, you can choose not to participate in leaderboards, and you can exclude yourself from Flyby's and heat maps. Grunts running around bases in strange countries need slapping for sharing their private exercise info.

Offline trinityalyce

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Bulldust & Back Roads
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2018, 10:13:17 AM »
Strava has a 'Private by default' button, you can show info to only your group/friends, you can choose not to participate in leaderboards, and you can exclude yourself from Flyby's and heat maps. Grunts running around bases in strange countries need slapping for sharing their private exercise info.

Thank you for clearing that up better than I could! I really have a hard time seeing how these troops working top secret ops can’t even navigate - or be instructed to - the security settings of their devices! If they are allowed to be worn on these bases one would think there’d be protocol regarding location settings etc.
'04 TD42 GU Nissan Patrol Wagon + '06 TD42 GU Nissan Patrol Coil Cab Ute + '18 Ultimate Xplor GT Camper

The following users thanked this post: Rumpig

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2018, 10:50:35 AM »
Grunts running around bases in strange countries need slapping for sharing their private exercise info.

I was going to comment that most AJs I know (and I have a few in my family) just buy shiny new things and use them till they break.
Things like washing the new boat, putting oil in the new motorbike or changing any settings on the new tech device are not really considered necessary from what I've seen over many years....  ;D

And slightly off topic, but apparently the earlier comments about Facebook becoming irrelevant might be correct after all.
There's outrage in the US now that Facebook has blocked fake pages made by Russian Trolls.

https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2018/02/facebook-users-cry-censorship-after-being-told-which-russian-troll-pages-they-liked/

I mean, you should be free to choose to believe that the fake pages you're following about defending the second amendment or back people's rights weren't started by a Russian Troll just to create unrest in your democracy.
I'm sure that Russian troll started that page because he genuinely wants you to keep your guns.... Right....  ;D  ;D  ;D

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2018, 11:53:32 AM »
I was going to comment that most AJs I know (and I have a few in my family) just buy shiny new things and use them till they break.
Things like washing the new boat, putting oil in the new motorbike or changing any settings on the new tech device are not really considered necessary from what I've seen over many years....  ;D

And slightly off topic, but apparently the earlier comments about Facebook becoming irrelevant might be correct after all.
There's outrage in the US now that Facebook has blocked fake pages made by Russian Trolls.

https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2018/02/facebook-users-cry-censorship-after-being-told-which-russian-troll-pages-they-liked/

I mean, you should be free to choose to believe that the fake pages you're following about defending the second amendment or back people's rights weren't started by a Russian Troll just to create unrest in your democracy.
I'm sure that Russian troll started that page because he genuinely wants you to keep your guns.... Right....  ;D  ;D  ;D

I spent years maintaining Armed Forces bases and DHA housing - I know EXACTLY what you mean - they are a breed apart. A family member is a CO of a base - he can tell some tales.

Funny about facebook, I am dabbling in a bit of Crypto gambling at present (you wouldn't call it investing), and since facebook have seen a conflict of interest with some blockchains starting new form of social media, the good old algorithms have been tweaked and amazingly stuff all crypto pops up in my feed anymore. They need to be very careful how they tread - social media platforms aren't exactly hard to create these days.

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
Some people share a bit too much information...
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2018, 10:56:34 AM »
The natural progression of technology.....
http://abc.net.au/news/2018-03-09/your-google-home-or-fit-bit-could-be-used-against-you-in-court/9510368?pfmredir=sm

“If that smart new home device in your bedroom is voice activated, then it's always listening.

That also means it's probably often recording, and sending information to the cloud.”

"I imagine what will happen is that there will be a case in which the police seek to get recordings and there will be conversation that is ambiguous on the recordings that the prosecution would try to construe as some admission of murder.

"It's definitely going to be at the forefront I think in a lot of criminal cases, probably all over the world but certainly in the United States."

"There have been a couple of interesting cases in America where, for example, a gentleman asserted that he was woken up and his home was on fire and he had rushed out," Bond University's Kate Mathews-Hunt says.

"In actual fact his Fitbit data showed that he had been engaged in heavy labour, which I think included removing quite a lot of things out of his home, and so his insurance claim was effectively impugned on that basis, that his story didn't hang together.

"So it's an incredibly interesting area, but it is also problematic."
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 10:59:24 AM by Pete79 »

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2018, 11:03:45 AM »
Quote from: Pete79
The natural progression of technology.....
[url=http://abc.net.au/news/2018-03-09/your-google-home-or-fit-bit-could-be-used-against-you-in-court/9510368?pfmredir=sm]http://abc.net.au/news/2018-03-09/your-google-home-or-fit-bit-could-be-used-against-you-in-court/9510368?pfmredir=sm[/URL]

I don't really see the appeal in the google control my house gig... is it that hard to turn a light on? or is it more the wank factor?
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2018, 11:45:42 AM »
Most peoples phones are "always listening" already and have them on themselves all the time, that how "Hey Siri" and "Hey Google" work much the same as the Google home, From memory, Gerard Baden Clay had his phone charging history used against him as it showed it being unplugged and then later plugged back in when he was supposedly in bed asleep.

Offline Patr80l

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2018, 12:53:53 PM »
There are two important secrets to success.
1. Don't tell people everything you know.
40, 80, GU, Touareg, GU, Touareg, 200

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2018, 12:58:17 PM »
There are two important secrets to success.
1. Don't tell people everything you know.
:cup:

Offline Pottsy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2018, 02:07:58 PM »
I've always felt it is important to know nothing and to plead insanity!  ;D
if God had meant me to walk he wouldn't have invented 4wds! Mitsubishi Challenger Pc 2014 (Blondie)
Challange Meredien Offroad Walk Thru

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2018, 02:17:09 PM »
I've always felt it is important to know nothing and to plead insanity!  ;D
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Bunyip

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Lucky to have such a supportive SWMBO as LB
« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2018, 02:45:57 PM »
I don't really see the appeal in the google control my house gig... is it that hard to turn a light on? or is it more the wank factor?

We got one for free so I plugged it in.

One night a character on a TV show said "Hey Google, turn on the lights"
Out google home said "You have no lights configured"
Plug out of wall after that.
2002 Landcruiser GXV

Offline Pottsy

• Hard Top Camper User
if God had meant me to walk he wouldn't have invented 4wds! Mitsubishi Challenger Pc 2014 (Blondie)
Challange Meredien Offroad Walk Thru

Offline GeoffA

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "If 1 axle is good, 2 must be better........."
« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2018, 04:53:14 PM »
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon
2005 Coota Camper - gone, but never forgotten
2020 North Coast 15' Titanium - tandem, of course

Land Cruiser.....the Patrol that Toyota try to build.....

Offline trinityalyce

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Bulldust & Back Roads
« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2018, 11:57:20 AM »

I'm a bit of a tech geek who has been investigating "smart home" options (just... not the mainstream products available). Some reasons why I like the idea:

1. Being able to remotely control lights, ideally with a pre-set program, so that when you're away from home it still looks like there's activity
2. Being able to turn the air conditioning/heating/front light on before you arrive home so the house is more comfortable in various climates/after dark/whatever
3. Being able to control blinds to automatically raise/lower at given times of day to block heat from the sun and maximise energy efficiency/etc.

The reason I don't have something like this already? Because it is damn expensive, particularly to retrofit. And privacy concerns. I don't love the idea of having a microphone front and centre in my house listening to every conversation I have and uploading it to the Cloud, somewhere, where I have no control over how it is stored, for how long, or what is done with it. And I need to be convinced that some of the options aren't easily hack-able, and that vulnerabilities are checked for, identified, and addressed promptly.

"There have been a couple of interesting cases in America where, for example, a gentleman asserted that he was woken up and his home was on fire and he had rushed out," Bond University's Kate Mathews-Hunt says.

"In actual fact his Fitbit data showed that he had been engaged in heavy labour, which I think included removing quite a lot of things out of his home, and so his insurance claim was effectively impugned on that basis, that his story didn't hang together.

"So it's an incredibly interesting area, but it is also problematic."

Best way to solve this issue is don't attempt to defraud an insurance company while wearing a smart device (or probably even having your phone in your pocket - I imagine the "health" type apps would save accelerometer data...?) ;D

In all seriousness, tech isn't bad or something to be afraid of. But understanding it is power. What data is collected? How and where is it stored? Is that data shared, and if so under what circumstances? Its amazing how many people use certain devices, apps or features without fully understanding these points. Ignorance is bliss... until it comes back to bite you.

Offline DrewXT

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2018, 12:59:16 PM »
Have a look at this for your home automation, Trinity https://home-assistant.io ... Can do some very funky things with it, and it'll run happily on a raspberry pi, and integrates with a heap of third party solutions.

Guy at work has light sensors and zwave switches, and if the system detects all his family have left the house (using the wifi in their phones) , and the lights are on in the kids bedrooms, it turns off the lights.  Does the same with the air-conditioning.

He's also got heat and humidity sensors that are programmed in conjunction with the electric blind motors to put down the blinds if the temperature reaches a certain level...  That part has a mixture of individual Raspberry Pi Zero W's and Arduino systems that all draw low power, but make for quite an elegant solution.

He can also track when his mother in law leaves on her daily visit so it's safe to go home!! ;)

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

2013 Amarok Highline
2015 Customline Adventure Walkup

Offline gordo350

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #45 on: March 11, 2018, 03:45:38 PM »
Must be analog based if it can detect broomstick residue
Gordo 350
2015 Ford Ranger Super Cab
Aussie Jays Big Red
everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #46 on: March 11, 2018, 04:46:23 PM »
I will comfortably stay low tech and of the grid as much as possible, Sadly even then the file profile on me and those associated with me will be quite extensive and show / be more intrusive than you'd ever want .
Now everyone uses that piece of plastic card in their wallets, They have you marked .
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline macca

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #47 on: March 11, 2018, 05:50:18 PM »
Yeah I'm with you edz, pretty low tech around my house. I do enough repairing and programming CNC's at work to give me all the tech geek fix i need. Must admit I have started playing around with Arduinos lately at home

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Offline DrewXT

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #48 on: March 11, 2018, 07:58:24 PM »
Must be analog based if it can detect broomstick residue
love it!!

I've worked in IT for 25 years, and the last thing I ever want to do when I get home is stuff about with more of them, at home, the most high tech we are is we stream radio using iHeartRadio

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

2013 Amarok Highline
2015 Customline Adventure Walkup

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #49 on: March 12, 2018, 09:01:31 AM »
I will comfortably stay low tech and of the grid as much as possible, Sadly even then the file profile on me and those associated with me will be quite extensive and show / be more intrusive than you'd ever want .
Now everyone uses that piece of plastic card in their wallets, They have you marked .
x eleventy
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home